Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Controller Issues since Empyrean

SkeleCyCy

Basically, a lot of issues with controllers that have either appeared or made worse since the last update. I use a PS4 controller with the steam controller layout set to just be regular buttons, so the controller just does what warframe tells it to do, because big picture is another big pile of outdated mess that bothers more than it helps.

1. RAILJACK: Cannot bind aim or dodge on the shoulder buttons.
A message telling you that you cannot bind them to this button because a melee stance mechanic is related to it... while piloting railjack.

2. MOVE DOWN and Dodging.
This goes for both railjack and archwing, but specially on railjack. Trying to dodge with a railjack using a controller translates to all of your dodges leaning downwards, tilted to the actual direction you tried to dodge towards. Please try to separate move down from dodging, just like how Move up is it's own thing.

3. Tactical menu.
No option to bind that to any controller button. At all. And I'm not that far into Railjack, so maybe there's more.

4. Ability menu.
This didn't happen before, but basically the ability menu is quite finicky. Specially with exalted weapons. Sometimes it activates the previously used ability before you can even select another, sometimes it locks into one... And if you cast an exalted weapon the responses get worse. 

5. Railjack ability menu softlock.
(I have no railjack abilities on my railjack as of yet) Pressing the Avionics menu just locks you. Cant fire, dodge or even dismount. 

6. Aiming on Railjack.
It's extremely sensitive regardless of what you do with the menu settings. It's enough with the travel time of your bullets and how mobile the enemies are.

Please take a look at these issues, it's making the game downright unplayable depending on warframe. And trying to pilot empyrean on higher level quests is an outright nightmare

Edited by SkeleCyCy

To add, my issues are with general gameplay, not just related to the Railjack:

Since a day or so after Empyrean launch my controller (Xbox 360) seems to have become alternatingly malbehaved, with most buttons not registering, or completely unresponsive. I've resorted to enabling configuration support for it in Steam, which at least gets it to work, however I have to bring the look and aim sensitivity way back for those to be somewhat functional, and still my looking and aiming seems to be generally way off; I suspect that besides sensitivity issues, the aim assist is switched off, even though this doesn't show under game settings. Gunplay (on a controller) is consequently practically impossible.

I can live with a new update bringing with it some bumps, but this is starting to seriously detract from the game's enjoyment, and I would say needs looking at asap.

(As for Railjack missions themselves, just now I was trying again and experienced several freezes again, to the point where I'm not even tempted to try for a while.)

Edit: Another hotfix is being deployed as we speak. There is always hope...

Edited by Mac65

23 minutes ago, Mac65 said:

Edit: Another hotfix is being deployed as we speak. There is always hope...

Just to confirm the new hotfix just now does in fact seem to have fixed the issues I described, at least. Ooff, thanks 😊

Haven't given Railjack another shot yet, will report if I have anything to add in that respect.

Edited by Mac65
typos, always typos

Just started Railjack gonna add this issue here, so when I move forward (I use a ps4 controller w/ steam layout but I dont use big picture) with the L stick the ship doesn't seem to go full acceleration. Instead it feels like I'm goin rather slow, the engine sound keeps repeating as if im stopping and going even when I have the L stick full forward.

On 2019-12-15 at 1:04 PM, SkeleCyCy said:

5. Railjack ability menu softlock.
(I have no railjack abilities on my railjack as of yet) Pressing the Avionics menu just locks you. Cant fire, dodge or even dismount. 

6. Aiming on Railjack.
It's extremely sensitive regardless of what you do with the menu settings. It's enough with the travel time of your bullets and how mobile the enemies are.

Please take a look at these issues, it's making the game downright unplayable depending on warframe. And trying to pilot empyrean on higher level quests is an outright nightmare

i think this is exactly whats happening to me

left bumper seems to move me directly down

right bumper activates my B button to fire seeker missiles. 

but after i hit right bumper, 

my controls get locked out 

and i cant do jack all anymore

When using powers while piloting, and getting locked in. I went to my main options with ESC, and it auto pops me out of pilot seat. It had me worried about having to close the game and lose my rewards.

As for the Controller being unable to place certain commands to shoulder buttons, I remapped all the normal buttons on the Warframe controls to Gear Options, saved, assigned the Railjack controls, saved, then remapped the Warframe Controls back.

3. Tactical menu.
No option to bind that to any controller button. At all. And I'm not that far into Railjack, so maybe there's more.

Yep.  I've had to resort to pressing L on my keyboard.  This is not an option that will be available to console players.  It seems like holding the regular map bind should open the tactical map, similarly to how map mode swapping works in PoE and Fortuna.  Heck, I'm not even sure why it's L instead of holding M for keyboard users either, since apparently that's also how they swap map modes in PoE and Fortuna.

6. Aiming on Railjack.

Yeah!  I haven't had too much trouble with the sideguns, but the aiming on the pilot seat is snappy, causing aim to be jittery and imprecise and even creating aiming deadzones, especially near the center, as it violently snaps away from the center with the tiniest breath of an input.

Edited by Andvarja

I have Right Thumb Stick bound to Gear Hotkey 1 (to activate Codex Scanner), but pressing it with a melee weapon out causes me to heavy attack. Otherwise it switches me to Codex Scanner mode. It won't let me unbind Secondary Fire/Heavy Attack from Right Thumb Stick and it's overriding my Gear Hotkey 1 bind. If the game would trust that I know what I'm doing and let me unbind a function this wouldn't be happening. I sure do miss the old controller bind menu.

And for some reason I can't fire a turret with Left Mouse, but it works fine on foot/archwing. I don't know how that's related, but I have no other explanation for why this is happening other than having changed gamepad binds.

I've tried verifying/optimizing, resetting to default and rebinding. Nothing is working.

Edited by Roboplus
Addendum

I was able to get the basic controls in Railjack to work after a fair amount of trial and a lot of error but they reverted to broken as soon as I left the ship or opened a menu like the foundry.

Side turrets are somewhat tolerable but the main gun frequently loses the ability to scope in, jitters like crazy no matter what my sensitivity setting, and within 15 seconds or so simply locks me in place with no functioning option to dismount. Gear, abilities etc. - not happening. 

Reverting to default settings is universal, coincidentally, so setting the RJ menu back to the original in an attempt to get anything to work affects my personalized settings for vanilla, AW etc. as well. Can't remember if that was always the case but with the number of menus we have now it would be great to have them retain specific settings.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2019-12-18 at 7:34 PM, TheFatDrake said:

Adding to this just to make it well known that there are lots of controller issues that make this game mode messy.

my big gripe is i cant unbind Move down on the X/Square button so i cant use Context Action to enter ships or my own railjack

A bit late, but I have this issue as well. I circumvent it by binding the move down to the X/Square button and then save it. I then go back to the customize controller menu and move it back to LB/L1. It's annoying having to do this every time I start the game.

I also love playing warframe with a xbox controller on my pc. The gameplay is amazing with a controller but extremely buggy. 

Railjack is very sparradic on the pilotseat aims. Adjusting sensitivity doesnt work either. The Tactical Overlay feature isnt accessable or controller bindable. Cant rebind buttons without error messages and extreme distress.

Cannot rebind buttons without seeing "bind cannot be on a melee stance button" error and its a huge headache to get binds on the right keys. 

~~~What We Need~~~

1.) Please fix controller bindings to work any action on any button, no locks, let us decide what will work or not for us. 

2.) Allow a full list of actions on every button, don't force us to use only certain buttons for certain actions only. (ei. the ability menu on railjack isnt even an option on skme buttons)

3.) Please add a bindable "Toggle UI" button. I'd love to bind select to toggle UI to easily get immersive gameplay when I don't need to UI in the way. I love playing no hud its such a beautiful game but without a toggle I cant keep up with objectives.

~~~~~

Love the new stuff, really excited. Please hear our pleas DE for better controller support. We want it so much more than new content, we just want to play the beautiful game now with our controllers hassle free!!!