The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Devstream :135 Overview [Late]

(XBOX)EternalDrk Mako

2 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

if we're comparing her to Revenant as to who could be considered the 'Vampire frame', do you of all people want to give Revenant that title over her?

Why does this have to be a choice? How about they both not be vampires. Revenant gets reworked to be both fully Eidolon themed and good, and DE makes a brand new frame that’s properly a full on vampire.

1 minute ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

That argument makes literally zero sense. DE can make a frame out of literally any theme they want. 

DE does broad archetypes. Excalibur= Swordsman, Rhino = Tank, Nyx = Mind control, and so on. Ivara = Robin hood. 

Blood mage doesn't fit in with this- it's something that you'd only really see in specialized fantasy works, and even then not always.  Vampires are a common theme in fiction and much more universal, thus fitting a broad archetype. 

Just now, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

Why does this have to be a choice? How about they both not be vampires. Revenant gets reworked to be both fully Eidolon themed and good, and DE makes a brand new frame that’s properly a full on vampire.

How do you make something more vampire than 'Blood sucking demon creature dressed in pale white and red shrouds'?

4 minutes ago, Paradoxity said:

DE does broad archetypes. Excalibur= Swordsman, Rhino = Tank, Nyx = Mind control, and so on. Ivara = Robin hood. 

Blood mage doesn't fit in with this- it's something that you'd only really see in specialized fantasy works, and even then not always.  Vampires are a common theme in fiction and much more universal, thus fitting a broad archetype. 

Gauss= kinetic energy

Ember = Fire chicken

mesa = gunslinger

Khora = liquid metal kitty cat dominatrix.

the game is about space ninjas with space MAGIC! They can use any theme they want.

Edited by (XB1)GearsMatrix301

Just now, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

Vampires do more than suck blood and wear draping clothes.

Some don't suck blood at all. Some turn into mist and make people their slaves, instead drawing out their life essence without a medium, like Revenant does. That doesn't make him a good vampire. Others hop through the woods, and others are literally just discount Zombies.

Point being, Vampires don't have a single common interpretation, but rather an 'idea' - of which some of the few includes draining and manipulating blood as well as being generally horrifying, and having death associations (hence the shroud). Garuda is as close to a 'Vampire' frame as you are likely to get, because any more specific and people will stop associating them with being a vampire: again, Revenant is a good vampire by some interpretations, but he doesn't fit the overall theme. Garuda does.

And again, she's a blood mage. That's usually either directly a Vampire thing, or heavily associated with them.

5 minutes ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

Gauss= kinetic energy

Ember = Fire chicken

mesa = gunslinger

Khora = liquid metal kitty cat dominatrix.

the game is about space ninjas with space MAGIC! They can use any theme they want.

... yes, and of those examples, three are broad archetypes (Ember = fire, Mesa = gunslinger, Gauss = Sanic) One is willfully misrepresented (Khora = Catwoman from Batman)

But thanks for proving the point! Blood mage isn't a broad archetype, vampire is, hence Garuda is a vampire. 

2 minutes ago, Paradoxity said:

... yes, and of those examples, three are broad archetypes (Ember = fire, Mesa = gunslinger, Gauss = Sanic) One is willfully misrepresented (Khora = Catwoman from Batman)

But thanks for proving the point! Blood mage isn't a broad archetype, vampire is, hence Garuda is a vampire. 

That doesn’t make any f***ing sense. You’re even contradicting yourself. Sonic the Hedgehog is not a broad Archetype. It is a fictional character that runs fast.

Edited by (XB1)GearsMatrix301

5 minutes ago, SordidDreams said:

They don't seem to understand that when a lot of people use something, that means it's the most fun.

I mean, I get where they're at, but  they really need to be looking at buffing the other archwings to make them remotely viable-  not nerfing the one that actually works. 

But DE gonna DE, I guess. 

25 minutes ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

But she’s not directly a vampire. Her theme is gore and viscera. And she commands that like a mage would command magic.

Do most Blood Mages consume blood to grow stronger/heal? Pro tip, if they do, then they're probably considered a Vampire.

8 minutes ago, Paradoxity said:

I mean, I get where they're at, but  they really need to be looking at buffing the other archwings to make them remotely viable-  not nerfing the one that actually works. 

But DE gonna DE, I guess. 

Not even that. Just fix bugs (e.g. projectiles going straight through Odonata's shield) and learn proper game design (e.g. don't make every single f*cking projectile an aggressively homing missile). Y'know, simple, basic stuff.

But this is the same company that started inserting finisher cutscenes into gameplay years after that particular fad had come and gone, and decided to implement a new stamina bar in 2019 after having learned in 2015 that the old one wasn't fun and removed it.

Edited by SordidDreams

14 minutes ago, SordidDreams said:

They don't seem to understand that when a lot of people use something, that means it's the most fun.

You're aware of the saying 'Players will optimise the fun out of a game' right?

People do gravitate towards fun stuff, yes, so the most fun weapons will see more use than less fun ones... but the same can be said many times more so for the most optimal ones, doubly so when said optimal strat far and away exceeds the regular one. Consider that 'fun' is subjective and 'entirely meta' is objective.

3 minutes ago, (PS4)The1stAzrael said:

The new female warframe really reminds me of Mirage. Heck, their base body shapes look exactly alike, the only thing different is the helmet. Hopefully this changes later, and we wont end up with another Older-frame-but-new-and-better sort of thing.

She seems to have the Akarius, so they might be reusing assets to make the animations before building the Frame's model.

2 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

You're aware of the saying 'Players will optimise the fun out of a game' right?

I'm aware of it but I also don't believe in it. Especially when it's used in defense of a free-to-play, pay-to-skip game built around grind that is deliberately designed to be unfun in order to squeeze microtransaction money out of players. In other words, the real reason why Amesha is getting nerfed is because the devs wanted to sell more plat to people wanting to buy repar drones in order to upgrade their ships, and being able to clear the railjack star chart in archwing with an unupgraded ship is undermining that. Don't let yourself be fooled for one second that the goal is to make the game more fun. It's to make it more tedious and sell more tedium-skipping microtransactions.

15 minutes ago, SordidDreams said:

Not even that. Just fix bugs (e.g. projectiles going straight through Odonata's shield) and learn proper game design (e.g. don't make every single f*cking projectile an aggressively homing missile). Y'know, simple, basic stuff.

But this is the same company that started inserting finisher cutscenes into gameplay years after that particular fad had come and gone, and decided to implement a new stamina bar in 2019 after having learned in 2015 that the old one wasn't fun and removed it.

Yeah, fair enough. 

That said, for a 'combat' archwing, my Elytron feels hilariously squishy and underpowered. 

EDIT: about the Elytron, I mean, regardless of the bugs. It's one 'defensive' move barely qualifies and more often than not if I don't recall out of a crewship, i load into space already dead. 

Edited by Paradoxity