Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

De, Why Are You Retiring The Gorgon?

Xana_Skullsunder

They really shouldn't be removing any weapons, period. I suppose DE just finds it easier to remove redundant, underperforming weapons and keep introducing new, overpowered ones rather than rebalancing things. Expect this to become a cycle.

Well that sucks.  I understand when they're removing redundant weapons nobody likes or uses that are just taking up space, but the Gorgon's actually cool and could be very good with some tweaks.

It's just that the Soma literally does make every other automatic rifle obsolete.  Just like the Acrid or the Despair / Kunai / Twin Gremlins (at lower levels) make other secondaries obsolete, or the Orthos Prime / Galatine do for melee weapons.

Balance is important when you want people to have a wide variety of viable playstyles, which keep people invested and engaged, which keeps them playing longer and makes them willing to take a risk and spend money on weapons, weapon slots, and upgrades to those weapons.  If I keep seeing bad weapon balancing and new stuff making old stuff obsolete, I fully intend to quit this game.  It's not like I don't have other games out there to play.  I'm already a Firefall founder for instance, but so far I don't see any reason to pay to be a founder for this game.

Heya, it's Xana the Gorgon fanboy again. I don't get why you guys are shelving this weapon. The design is cool, and fits with Grineer thinking: "hit it with as many bullets as possible and to hell with subtlety."

I know it's vastly inferior to the Soma, and arguably the Supra (Whether players agree seems to depend on what the think of the travel time for the latter), but this seems odd. Why not just make it usuable again? You don't need to make it into the next big primary, just give it something to be better at than the other 2 guns it shares a category with. 

It's vastly inferior to everything. I forma'd it fives time and learned from that day on never forma anything again for any length of time that doesn't perform out of the gate to a certain standard that you can then boost from.

Until the soma arrived machine guns in this game just sucked, and that includes the gorgon. It's fine that you like it. But it's a horrendously terrible gun.

The Gorgon is the most iconic Grineer weapon in the game. It is in almost all concept art of Grineer units/enviroments. It saddens me that they are retiring it....

But on the other hand the Gorgon has no place in the game now that the Soma exists.

It's vastly inferior to everything. I forma'd it fives time and learned from that day on never forma anything again for any length of time that doesn't perform out of the gate to a certain standard that you can then boost from.

Until the soma arrived machine guns in this game just sucked, and that includes the gorgon. It's fine that you like it. But it's a horrendously terrible gun.

But WHY?

It has some definite negative attritubes, sure. The reloads are painful, the spin-up is impossible to miss, and the spread makes me cry, but I'd forgive it all in an instant if it had something in exchange, like powerful rounds. So why doesn't it? What is the bloody point of having a machine gun that only takes the weaknesses of machine guns? And why retire said weapon, and thus throw all it's assets out the window, when you could make it usuable instead? No one's answering this question.

But WHY?

It has some definite negative attritubes, sure. The reloads are painful, the spin-up is impossible to miss, and the spread makes me cry, but I'd forgive it all in an instant if it had something in exchange, like powerful rounds. So why doesn't it? What is the bloody point of having a machine gun that only takes the weaknesses of machine guns? And why retire said weapon, and thus throw all it's assets out the window, when you could make it usuable instead? No one's answering this question.

Seems evident to me.  DE is being greedy and feels that wasting the money coming in to convince everyone to spend platinum on something new that will probably be similar to the Gorgon, just not with the horrible damage ratiings.

Seems evident to me.  DE is being greedy and feels that wasting the money coming in to convince everyone to spend platinum on something new that will probably be similar to the Gorgon, just not with the horrible damage ratiings.

...Soma?

What if... equipping Dual Gorgons slowed movement speed but made the user immune to stagger? Then there should be two specific mods for Dual Gorgons only. The 'Sheer Manliness' module makes the Tenno receive 50% less damage when firing the Dual Gorgons, and the 'Cinematic Destruction' module gives each shot fired a 7.5% chance to explode(use with caution)!

TAKE MY MONEY!

DE. HIRE THIS MAN NAO!

Don't forget!  The new weapons all have to require forma and 20,000 spores in their build costs.  Plus you'll have to go into certain missions to find random drop items to craft an item to allow you to go to another mission where you do the same thing again which lets you eventually get to the final area where you'll have a 0.005% chance of getting each of the 4 blueprints necessary to build the weapon.  And once DE sees enough players using it, they'll nerf it claiming it is for balance reasons and 6 months later they'll remove it entirely when they have another weapon created to replace it.

that is a terrifying prospect.  I really hope they have a good reason for retiring these weapons...

incoming new heavy rifle

inb4 nerf threads for new "OP" heavy rifle.

I'm calling for a pre-emptive NERF!!!!  The new Gorgon replacement rifle is way to OP to maintain balance of the game!

ok lets discuss the new rifle which will be better than soma

in short:

You: "OP nurf plz"

Me: "Progression"

You: "stagnancy"

Me: "booooring"

You: "insults"

Me: "Voodoo"

Mod: Banhammer

ok lets discuss the new rifle which will be better than soma

in short:

You: "OP nurf plz"

Me: "Progression"

You: "stagnancy"

Me: "booooring"

You: "insults"

Me: "Voodoo"

Mod: Banhammer

You forgot the troll in the middle of the conversation.

Tried Gorgon. It's terrible. REALLY terrible.

But I have to agree: Why retire the weapon when you can just...make it not terrible? You've got the art, the sound, the animations, and the UI hookups and everything else. That's the expensive part and it's already done! You could spend five minutes to change a few numbers and make this a great weapon. I have some theories as to why they wouldn't want to do this, but they aren't charitable.