Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Please Give Us Archwing 6DOF

Justin_Case001

Please give us back archwing 6DOF, preferably in a toggle form so that everybody's happy.  You gave us this for the longest time, and then you took it away, and I will never understand why.  The railjacks have 6DOF, but the archwings are awkwardly anchored to a 2-D plane.  This isn't the next-gen, endgame, awesome controls that we should have.  The railjack controls are the bee's knees; please make the archwing controls match.  Just restore the experimental flight toggle.

Furthermore, please allow 6DOF in open world maps.  I am still mourning the loss of the barrel roll and looping features in open world maps that you took away last year, and I always will.  Believe it or not, it was my favorite feature of the game, and the mechanic that gave me more fun than anything else.  I would honestly prefer the archwing controls, both in open world and space, to be completely restored to what they previously were, but I know that's not in the cards.  I also understand the nature of this game, and I know that no matter what changes are made, somebody's happy, and somebody else is mad.  That is why I am pushing to simply have a 6DOF toggle for all archwing usage, thus pleasing everyone in every situation.

I made my feelings about open world archwing abundantly clear last year, but I felt that it was warranted to make a more general thread about 6DOF, rather than focusing on the open world barrel rolling specifically.  As I said somewhere in that other thread, I still feel that the old archwing controls just felt more awesome, realistic, intense, and gave the whole experience more oomph.  However, I realize that I'll never get that back, so I'm trying to suggest a compromise here.  Please, please give us a 6DOF toggle.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Justin_Case001 said:

I am still mourning the loss of the barrel roll and looping features in open world maps that you took away last year, and I always will.

It is still there, hold a direction and double-tap sprint.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'd rather they not bring it back, honestly, because they managed to fail pretty badly at making it optional the first time they added it. Archwing physics just became completely screwed up for the next several years until they finally took it out again around Railjack's launch. I was amazed that Archwings actually felt nice and responsive to control again, and actually like they at all matched with the actual design of archwing levels. (though unfortunately continuing to lack any real reason for their use!)

If it could REALLY be a simple toggle where one option doesn't affect the other, I wouldn't object to 6dof coming back, but it seems pretty clear that DE struggles enormously to ever untangle any of their spaghetti code. They're struggling hard enough to make all of the things they keep promising without also throwing on a... third? Fourth? major rework and reprogramming of space combat.

Edited by OvisCaedo

So are you going to go through the forums and necro every Archwing thread from May? I don't mean to be offensive here, but... If you want to talk about Archwing 6DoF, start your own thread. These months' old threads have already been hashed out. They even have my own responses in them, that I would just be repeating.

On 2020-05-05 at 2:53 AM, Justin_Case001 said:

The railjack controls are the bee's knees; please make the archwing controls match. 

You are over selling it just a little. My big complaint with Railjack controls is the auto up correction that we can't turn off. There isn't really an up in space it kills game immersion for me every time it occurs. It's not actual 6dof. I feel like I need to go play descent again.

14 hours ago, Nichivo said:

You are over selling it just a little. My big complaint with Railjack controls is the auto up correction that we can't turn off. There isn't really an up in space it kills game immersion for me every time it occurs. It's not actual 6dof. I feel like I need to go play descent again.

Fair point.  Conceded.  I oversold it to make a point.  Railjack could be better as well.  I wish it didn't do the auto realignment thing as well.

On 2020-05-05 at 2:26 AM, Shalath said:

It is still there, hold a direction and double-tap sprint.

No, no, when I say barrel rolling, I'm referring to the ability to sprint straight forward, then hold right or left, and the landscape rotates around you until you're flying upside down, and the ground is on the top of your screen.

Anyway, I wanted to pop in here to do my once every couple of month noise making to raise awareness about this again.  I'll never stop fighting to restore archwing to some semblance of its former glory.

• Like 2