The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ember's 4 (inferno) is influenced by FOV setting?

RIOT

3 minutes ago, RIOT said:

but is it intentional that you hit less enemies if your FOV setting is low?

This is not the way it is supposed to work. Targeting should be entirely independent from your graphical setting.

Do you have any proof that you actually do hit less enemies?

Well... Many ways DE could go about fixing it. Both wrong and right.

But this time, for a change, I do wish they take the lazy path and "fix" it by just enabling us to go even higher on the FoV. That would sure be fun, and practical to me.

I dislike it when someone arbitrarily limits my options because of their personal views on how something should look like. Be it player or dev.

Edited by (PS4)Hikuro-93

11 minutes ago, DeckChairVonBananaCamel said:

ive just tested it, OP is right, the fov does actually affect what can and cannot be hit with this ability...

O_o

That is actually rather shocking. I'd class it as a deeply embarrassing bug.

Any word on other abilities that rely on line-of-sight?

3 minutes ago, Dhrekr said:

O_o

That is actually rather shocking. I'd class it as a deeply embarrassing bug.

Any word on other abilities that rely on line-of-sight?

I'm pretty sure this ability is unique in that regard! (i could be wrong though)
The other "line-of-sight" abilities are generally just "cant hit through obstacles" style of line-of-sight checks

8 hours ago, DeckChairVonBananaCamel said:

I'm pretty sure this ability is unique in that regard! (i could be wrong though)
The other "line-of-sight" abilities are generally just "cant hit through obstacles" style of line-of-sight checks

Saryn's used to have the same mechanic tied to her Toxic Lash, back when Toxic Lash influenced block amount.

On 2020-05-29 at 6:59 AM, RIOT said:

I understand that the ability is tied to line of sight, but is it intentional that you hit less enemies if your FOV setting is low?

The line of sight is a cone, and it's from the camera. If you bullet jump straight up, and look down, it'll hit 360 around you. Been like this since the rework.

Edited by nooneyouknow13

On 2020-06-01 at 10:02 AM, nooneyouknow13 said:

The line of sight is a cone, and it's from the camera. If you bullet jump straight up, and look down, it'll hit 360 around you. Been like this since the rework.

i might be misinterpreting what you are saying, but it most certainly is not a fixed-angle cone, it definitely seems to be tied directly to the field of view and is affected by the FOV setting in the options menu.

The higher the FOV, the more enemies you can potentially hit

Just now, DeckChairVonBananaCamel said:

i might be misinterpreting what you are saying, but it most certainly is not a fixed-angle cone, it definitely seems to be tied directly to the field of view and is affected by the FOV setting in the options menu.

The higher the FOV, the more enemies you can potentially hit

Yes. What I'm saying is, the cone is attached to the player's camera, and not Ember. so if you're standing in a circle of enemies, and you cast inferno from the ground, you'll hit those in front of you. But if you jump and look down, you'll hit the full circle that was surrounding you. All other skills I've ever tested target from the warframe, inferno targets from the camera.

3 minutes ago, nooneyouknow13 said:

Yes. What I'm saying is, the cone is attached to the player's camera, and not Ember. so if you're standing in a circle of enemies, and you cast inferno from the ground, you'll hit those in front of you. But if you jump and look down, you'll hit the full circle that was surrounding you. All other skills I've ever tested target from the warframe, inferno targets from the camera.

ah yes, the issue that OP is pointing out is that the angle of this cone is affected by the FOV setting. Meaning a graphics setting has a quantifiable effect on a game mechanic, which should not happen.

1 minute ago, DeckChairVonBananaCamel said:

ah yes, the issue that OP is pointing out is that the angle of this cone is affected by the FOV setting. Meaning a graphics setting has a quantifiable effect on a game mechanic, which should not happen.

It's one and the same issue really. The reason FoV affects it is because it's attached to the camera, and not the frame. Minimum FoV loses targeting range on the sides of the screen, but also gains more absolute line range. Max FoV maximizes lateral targetting, but minimizes absolute line range.

2 minutes ago, nooneyouknow13 said:

It's one and the same issue really. The reason FoV affects it is because it's attached to the camera, and not the frame. Minimum FoV loses targeting range on the sides of the screen, but also gains more absolute line range. Max FoV maximizes lateral targetting, but minimizes absolute line range.

Mesa's peacemakers use the camera for targeting, but lack the same issue as they have a fixed angle for their firing circle
Also (just tested it) the targeting distance is not affected by FOV settings. It remained at 25m regardless of what angle i set it to, this means that ember's 4th ability is objectively superior if your FOV is turned up higher.

9 hours ago, DeckChairVonBananaCamel said:

Mesa's peacemakers use the camera for targeting, but lack the same issue as they have a fixed angle for their firing circle
Also (just tested it) the targeting distance is not affected by FOV settings. It remained at 25m regardless of what angle i set it to, this means that ember's 4th ability is objectively superior if your FOV is turned up higher.

Something has changed slightly with it since the rework then. And it's not really that similar to peacemaker since Mesa will turn to face the cursor as she fires.