Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Average riven disposition should be 1

(XBOX)KayAitch

For each weapon class (by mods) the average disposition of rivens should be 1 (or close to it).

When a riven gets nerfed another should get buffed by about the same amount.

This avoids the current pattern where balance passes feel like blanket nerfs as loads of weapons get .2 decreases while a relative few get .05 or .1 increases.

It also gives an objective metric when we talk about whether rivens are "balanced" - yeah, it's extremely subjective when it comes to actual weapons, but overall each nerf would be offset by the same amount of buff.

When a new weapon gets launched with .5 some old weapons should also get buffed. This keeps old weapons fresh even when new ones are coming out.

I'd make an exception for kitguns and zaws, lump them in with pistols and melee, but otherwise the goal would be an average of 1 for each class: nerf a shotgun, buff another shotgun, etc. This means that if a whole class is unbalanced it doesn't just end up with all the weapons in it having rubbish rivens.

32 minutes ago, (XB1)KayAitch said:

When a riven gets nerfed another should get buffed by about the same amount.
but overall each nerf would be offset by the same amount of buff.

that's not 'balance' so much as literally becoming League of Legends where things are intentionally made the best and then paraded around in a circle across the game to make people change what they're using constantly.
that's not balance, that's just a game going to maximum levels of toxic to the Player.

if you are aware of that, then as long as you don't try and pretend like that is 'balance' in any way at all, then carry on, i guess.

Edited by taiiat

16 minutes ago, taiiat said:

that's not 'balance' so much as literally becoming League of Legends where things are intentionally made the best and then paraded around in a circle across the game to make people change what they're using constantly.

I didn't say it was balance, but as new weapons are going to launch with a dispo of .5 that ain't gonna happen.

18 minutes ago, taiiat said:

that's just a game going to maximum levels of toxic to the Player

Why? At the moment DE nerf a lot more than they buff. Surely that would be less toxic?

19 minutes ago, taiiat said:

if you are aware of that, then as long as you don't try and pretend like that is 'balance' in any way at all, then carry on, i guess

I don't think rivens are about "balance", weapons are never going to be equal in this game and this wouldn't fix that.

What this would mean is that about the same number of rivens get buffed as those that get nerfed - for every riven that becomes less useful some other riven becomes more useful. 

It will still be up to DE to ensure that the Stug doesn't end up with a disposition of about 10.

I don't think it will bring balance, or that it's meant to, it's more about making sure we have buffed rivens to play with, rather than some passed being almost all nerfs.

59 minutes ago, (XB1)KayAitch said:

Why? At the moment DE nerf a lot more than they buff. Surely that would be less toxic?

What this would mean is that about the same number of rivens get buffed as those that get nerfed - for every riven that becomes less useful some other riven becomes more useful. 

I don't think it will bring balance, or that it's meant to, it's more about making sure we have buffed rivens to play with, rather than some passed being almost all nerfs.

actually no - because currently when all Rivens just go down and now they even go down before release - Players just flip the table and deal with less Rivens (or even none).
what you're asking for is for Players to be incentivized to acquire Rivens for whatever got increased, then later get guaranteed burned on that when that gets nerfed and something else buffed. and the cycle repeats forever.
i call it the League of Legends syndrome, since that's the biggest game that does it and in a way pioneered that business strategy to begin with. you manipulate the game to make people need to buy more stuff artificially, by making any previous expenditures on their behalf null and void in the future and pushing them to buy something else instead.

you could call it the Apple Syndrome too if you like(or just hyper Consumerism), but that's exiting the scope of just Video Games.

Edited by taiiat

15 hours ago, Tiltskillet said:
19 hours ago, (XB1)KayAitch said:

For each weapon class (by mods) the average disposition of rivens should be 1 (or close to it).

What's the average dispo of each weapon class now?

It varies by class. Robotic is > 1, beam is > 1, both probably need more fundamental buffs. Sniper < 1.

I would say that if you really want an "average" requirement, it should be across the board. Separating by class runs the risk of things like nikanas getting riven buffs and Robotic or Beam weapons getting riven nerfs, just because their current averages are below or above 1.0, respectively.