The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Exclusivity, Timed Exclusivity, And Events Exclusives...

Froh

Thanks guys.. don't think I've ever won anything very interesting on the day 7 lottery but hey, maybe my luck will change! :P

Oh well Grilleds, we'll just have to hope for something even better in future but it certainly doesn't look like a very promising prospect for late collectors. :(

I actually have every exclusive except the founders stuff, the Lato Vandal, the Braton Vandal, Primed Chamber, and the Prime Access stuff. I still think exclusivity is a dumb idea.

Taciter,

thank you for showing how wise and knowing you are - you have obviously figured out who I am off a few posts on a board on the internet.  You have shown the extreme level of your maturity by flat out labeling anyone who does not agree with your entitlement complex as 'vain' and 'inadequate' and apparently I don't have a good self image of myself.

I may not understand your mindset, but at least I didn't stoop to insulting everyone who disagreed with me.  The fact you do that shows the weakness in your arguments.  (and your counter points are laughable - not worthy of a comprehensive rebuttal)

Exclusivity is not designed to make you feel bad about not having something - its designed to make you want it - so you open your wallet and put out for it.  DE does not want you to feel bad, they want you to feel wonderful, with your Excalibur Prime and your Brakk wearing a fancy scarf.  Businesses do not sit around trying to think of ways to make you feel bad.  They are here to make money - they sit around trying to think of ways to make you pay for a product they are offering for free.  Shame on them for making a game and exploiting human nature in order to help keep it free for the majority of the players.

<psssst... I earned the money I used to buy the founders package - whose purchase in and of itself was a risk as I had no idea if warframe had a future... therefore - I risked, and I earned... >

adios....

Taciter,

thank you for showing how wise and knowing you are - you have obviously figured out who I am off a few posts on a board on the internet.  You have shown the extreme level of your maturity by flat out labeling anyone who does not agree with your entitlement complex as 'vain' and 'inadequate' and apparently I don't have a good self image of myself.

Actually, your holiness, all my references to vanity and inadequacy were directed at the third person, any inference with which you voluntarily self-associated is a matter for you and you alone to come to terms with.

I may not understand your mindset, but at least I didn't stoop to insulting everyone who disagreed with me.  The fact you do that shows the weakness in your arguments.  (and your counter points are laughable - not worthy of a comprehensive rebuttal)

Again, see above! Personalisation of a generalised statement implies insecurity. (note the absence of a definite article)

Exclusivity is not designed to make you feel bad about not having something - its designed to make you want it - so you open your wallet and put out for it.  DE does not want you to feel bad, they want you to feel wonderful, with your Excalibur Prime and your Brakk wearing a fancy scarf.  Businesses do not sit around trying to think of ways to make you feel bad.  They are here to make money - they sit around trying to think of ways to make you pay for a product they are offering for free.  Shame on them for making a game and exploiting human nature in order to help keep it free for the majority of the players.

Again, absurd argument. If a 'thing' is exclusive, by its very definition, it precludes the possibility of procurement by the excluded party/parties. When a 'thing' is unobtainable, the majority of would-be obtainees will simply reconcile themselves with the futility of procuring said 'thing' and look elsewhere for adequate stimulus. Do the excluded party/parties feel 'wonderful'? Why don't you go and ask some?

Also, I think your last sentence unwittingly supported my, admittedly, subjective claim regarding vanity, human nature and marketing opportunities so thank you for the endorsement. <high fives>

<psssst... I earned the money I used to buy the founders package - whose purchase in and of itself was a risk as I had no idea if warframe had a future... therefore - I risked, and I earned... >

adios....

Indeed and for that, you should be rewarded. Though why such a reward should be in the form of an 'exclusive' is actually what the OP was querying. There are a multitude of options when it comes to compensating worthy beneficiaries and 'exclusives' are but one. My point was merely that there are other equally appealing options which don't have the inevitable drawbacks associated with 'exclusivity'.

Ciao...

Edited by Taciter

I'm actually amazed at the fact that this thread reached page two before it got deleted or locked. Though through reading some of the more "civil" posters, discussion is actually good.

Though I actually posted on the other side of the argument (let's not discuss this), we are in open beta. We have an open beta agreement. (https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/28-open-beta-agreement-read-me/)

In this agreement, that I assume everyone just made TL;DR of, please take note of "4. The Open Beta will change often and possibly without notice. Weapons, Warframes, and every feature of the game may change as often as every day. We will keep you updated with these changes when you launch the game. By agreeing to these terms, you express consent for updating."

What I'm saying is, nothing is set in stone. When they officially release the game, we may find ourselves using only a Skana, Lato and Mk1-Braton.

I'm actually amazed at the fact that this thread reached page two before it got deleted or locked. Though through reading some of the more "civil" posters, discussion is actually good.

Though I actually posted on the other side of the argument (let's not discuss this), we are in open beta. We have an open beta agreement. (https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/28-open-beta-agreement-read-me/)

In this agreement, that I assume everyone just made TL;DR of, please take note of "4. The Open Beta will change often and possibly without notice. Weapons, Warframes, and every feature of the game may change as often as every day. We will keep you updated with these changes when you launch the game. By agreeing to these terms, you express consent for updating."

What I'm saying is, nothing is set in stone. When they officially release the game, we may find ourselves using only a Skana, Lato and Mk1-Braton.

Amen!!

And as an aside.. having played about with complimentary colour schemes, I've finally discovered that black/grey and white on an 'immortal' Excal is, conservatively, on a par with the Prime so I'll withdraw from the arena. :P

p.s. How do I post a screenie since my Excal deserves universal praise and adulation? :P

Edited by Taciter

• 3 months later...

Exclusives should stay so. I don't have the weapons mentioned above as I wasn't playing. I think it's a cool thing that there are weapons I can't get anymore, as it adds the 'wooahh' factor.

People who cry about wanting things they can't have ruins games, man up accept you won't have it and be there for the next exclusive!

If you think having something that someone else don't have makes you special or L33T then you are the real problem in gaming. Please stop buying games.

I don't get what is so hard to understand about this...  Exclusivity creates desirability.  You want something really bad because you can't have it - so the next time something 'exclusive' comes along and you want it - you are going to be more inclined to work -or- pay for it then not.  In the case of 'pay for it', that is a desirable condition for DE - to make you want to spend money for an exclusive item. 

I don't think anyone has a problem with weapons/items awarded for specific events coming back - though - I would say, the Brakk comes back - it better take 100 missions to get it.  That's how hard we worked for it - that's how hard others should work for it to. Yes it was fun - but when you haul out your Brakk people know you were there, or they ask, and you get to tell them something about the game they didn't know.

The Exclusives for Closed Beta and The Founders Program though - I do have a problem with anyone getting a chance at those.  It has nothing to do with spitefulness or pettiness either.  Those people stepped up and put out their time, and then their money for a game they didn't even know had a future or not. The founders program funded development, the closed beta testers helped squash bugs so you have a more enjoyable experience. (You do realize it's more than playing the game - you have to fill out detailed bug reports. that part is NOT fun.)  Those weapons were a way of saying "Thank You".  What you want cheapens that thanks.  Bringing back the founders exclusives cheapens the fact that those players put in over $100 of their money on a Beta (in many cases - much more).  You see an Excalibur Prime in the game right now - you know that person is a founder.  You bring it back, that is diluted to the point of non-importance.

Far be it from me to say real combat duty is anything close to what we are talking about - but allow me to throw this out there.  If you did not compete in the gravidus event - should you get a badge for it?  If your Grandfather had stormed Omaha Beach on a morning in June, 1946 and was awarded a silver star for his uncommon Valor.  How would you feel if they just started handing out Silver Stars to all the service men and women who wanted them, or even better yet - civilian who do a great job filing paper work.   Would you be angry at the cheapening of a very meaningful award?  Granted - that an extreme analogy - but it holds true.

When I bought my founders pack I did so with the conscious thought that a few years from now I might pull out the ol Excalibur Prime, and that ownership of that Warframe (which I PURCHASED as a limited item) would still identify me as a founder. That's not WHY I did it, but it was a cool thought that, as my love for the game has grown, is more important to me. 

In short - the idea that everyone should have a second shot of it out of fairness is absolutely UNFAIR to those that did what it took to get it the first time. I have no problem with REwards coming back out, but I have a problem w/ the items that represent Awards being cheapened.  That being said, if there was another event where I had to do 100 missions to get a Brakk... I'd go play something else until the event was over... that grind was enough the first time.  Gimmie something else though - I'm there. 

I will even go a step further and say I don't think founders or closed beta items should ever be allowed to be traded.  Or if they are, then they become something less, like a Beta Prime (same functionality but different skin to reflect it is not with the original owner), and a platinum tax would need to be applied to the trade so DE could get a monetary cut of the transaction.   

Beyond that - exclusivity is one of those things that DE can use to get you to take out your wallet.  You should be happy for things that keep this game alive by keeping money flowing into their pockets. 

My 2 cents... 

That makes the game P2W.

If you think having something that someone else don't have makes you special or L33T then you are the real problem in gaming. Please stop buying games.

You are a very bitter person, quit clawing at peoples eyes just because they have something or want to have something unique.

That makes the game P2W.

Nothing in that sentence that you quoted makes the game P2W.  Does Excalibur Prime or any of the Exlusive items have obscene stats?  No... Not really and the most I can blatently see is that the prime version of Excalibur just looks flashy [like all primes] and has a polarity slot.  So game breaking, its not like we cannot... oh, say... Forma?

Explain to me how this makes ANYTHING P2W, if anything it makes you [and people like you] both highly Jealous and whiny.  I mean I get it, I want Excalibur prime too, and will never be able to get it because I didn't have faith in yet another game starting out, that's my fault.

Who has the right to say that people have no right wanting/having exclusives if they are willing to shell out cash for it.  Are you angry because they have cash?  Because they have Jobs? [No parent in their right mind would spend 140-200+$ on this type of thing, so im assuming some type of personal income here.]

Either way I don't fully care and I realize you are just going to attack me for not agreeing with you.  Have fun with that.

Very good analysis OP. I'd like to point out though that exclusivity prevents not collectors, but more specifically whales from playing the game, aka players who spend hundreds of dollars and keep spending. If you can't buy everything there was to buy, why not spend money on something else?

It's still boggles my mind how they thought not offering Founders pack on PS store was acceptable. But yes, it will present issues even on PC where it not being available is justified to a degree.

Is it ok that certain weapons are only available once a year during an event that requires you to commit 60 hours in one week? Sure. Is it ok if Lato Prime only available if you buy a $300 Founders pack and in no other way? Sure. But the way exclusive stuff is handled right now is harmful to the game. 

-Hey, you know what would be a good idea? Let's limit the number of whales we'll have among our customers.

-Great idea! And to compensate we'll sell rare 5 cores 70 platinum a pack.

The biggest issue here is the extra Mastery, because we don't know the scale of the effect it might have on the Focus system and thus on balance.

Let's face it, though; if DE brought all the Founders' and beta items back and charged for them, people would buy them.

I see your point and understand it. But still, in my honest opinion, exclusive means one-time-only. I missed thi first Vandals by one (1) day. I missed Strun Wraith.

I don't want them to reappear. One reason is that when ever I see someone carrying one of them Vandals, I kniw he's a true veteran. I kinda feel some amount of respect towards that Tenno.

Keep exclusives exclusives.

Digital Extremes, i give you permission to Release the Founder Primes Separately, i know you need the permission of every single active non-banned Founder to do this, so i will leave it to voting.

PS: DE cannot release the Prime founders due to the way they promoted the Founder Program, they really want to really want to release them to the public, but if we Founders don't help them, we will never see nice stuff like Aklato Prime, or a Dual Skana Prime. and i really, really want to See them

Digital Extremes, i give you permission to Release the Founder Primes Separately, i know you need the permission of every single active non-banned Founder to do this, so i will leave it to voting.

PS: DE cannot release the Prime founders due to the way they promoted the Founder Program, they really want to really want to release them to the public, but if we Founders don't help them, we will never see nice stuff like Aklato Prime, or a Dual Skana Prime. and i really, really want to See them

Erm, I really really appreciate it, the fact that you are a normal person, not bitter and selfish about a minor thing in a game, ultimately meant for fun, rather than bragging; but im pretty positive they dont need anybodys permission to do so.Just read the OP, companies do that all the time and nobody is sueing them for doing so, not even LoL players.

Tons of players would pay for that, we, ps4 players, only get the most expensive pack, and i know at least 50 or so guys in my clan that would buy that, if not more.

Which makes me wonder, how miserable is the life of someone so attached to a minor digital exclusivity and how many cats and ice cream is needed to loose this attachment.

Edited by (PS4)DanteVincent

Most ingenious and evil way to reward older players, give them exclusives bit by bit after they play for a long time, therefore you make them grind and hope they get exculsives, so they play in the long run and maybe complain abit here and there, but hey they don't care, all they care is the sweet exclusives at the end of the stick..... I love your evil plan OP, I WANT IN!

Edited by Jacate

It's my guess that down the line, we'll end up getting a way to earn Mastery outside of gear and star map progression as there's no realistic way that they might add enough Warframes and weapons to ever get to Mastery Rank 30 using the current trend.

So while Excalibur Prime, Lato Prime and Skana Prime do provide extra Mastery right now, it'll become meaningless down the line. As for the exclusivity status of items :

Event Exclusive : Mostly means that they can only be obtained through event(s); they can be shelved and made available later but only through other events as it seems to be the case right now.

Timed Exclusive : Like the Lato and Braton Vandal weapons, were only shortly available at a specific time, never to be distributed again. It seems only Wraith and Vandal weapons are such exclusives, meaning once they've been out for a time, they can't be earned again.

Founder Exclusive : If you took part in the Founder Program, then you got it; Founder Program is now over? It's no longer available. Period.

I have once been against exclusive weapons being re-released. 

I have changed my mind, except for a few certain things.

Event-exclusive weapons, such as Wraith/Vandal weapons, are not such a big deal. They are truly not that great and do not outshine most weapons. In fact, most weapons perform on-par or better than some of those weapons (Paris Prime is the best weapon in-game right now; it beats the Doomcannon). They are not exactly game-breaking, and are in fact used for fun purposes since they do not outshine certain weapons. I like to think of event exclusive weapons as shiny watches that perform small additional functions than their original counterparts. 

Things I have not changed my mind about are Founder's and CB exclusives. Those items are given specifically to those who have dedicated their time for that long and have paid that much money to support the game. It's quite shocking to see how many people who are against having these items be exclusives. Lato and Braton Vandal will always be exclusive because it will be a big slap in the face to those who stayed with the game for this long. Founder's will be always be exclusive because it will be a ginormous slap in the face to those who paid for Founder's. 

TL;DR I'm on terms with event-exclusive weapons, but not Founders or Closed Beta Items. Founder's and CB items will stay exclusive, no matter how many people complain. 

It's my guess that down the line, we'll end up getting a way to earn Mastery outside of gear and star map progression as there's no realistic way that they might add enough Warframes and weapons to ever get to Mastery Rank 30 using the current trend.

That, or just have all XP you accrue give mastery direct instead of forcing the player to level dozens of crap guns, thus allow them to stick to a loadout they like.

I mean sure DE could make all the guns enjoyable and viable to use, Half Life 3 could also be released within our lifetimes.

But the point is for us ps4 players the exclusive deal ended and started before ps4 was even out yet so to say something like that Don't even add up im sure psn members would have help with the game if it was out around that time when it wasnt cant hold us to that because it was out of our hands we need a shot at getting Excalibur prime to and just because ninjas play free for ps4 Don't mean people dont have money or for the exclusive stuff people buy stuff all the time daily.