Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Pin The Grineer Contest: Some Winners Didn't Follow The Rules.

TheSphynx

And by the way, while everyone here is grasping at straws i'll do it too.

If by "pinned at the sign" is the thing being considered here, then the sample image is also breaking that rule. The grineer on the sample image isn't pinned against the sign, it's pinned against the grineer text. The "sign" itself its right there under the "PI" in "PIN" and to the left of the "G" in "GRINEER".

The backwards looking weird red E, that is.

I like this guy! :)

You are kidding right? I am not trying to insult your intelligence by any means.... But.... Since you are trying to get all "Technical"....

The "Text" is a part of the "Sign".... You are referring to the actual "Logo" which is still part of the "Sign".... Regardless Text/Logos/etc are all considered a "Sign"... Are they not?

What does an American "Stop Sign" look like?.... An hexagon with "Stop" written across it... The writing is still part of a sign.

I was jesting in an attempt to lighten up your mood. Sorry if i offended.

My "technicality", if you will, still stands. the "against" means that the sign must be a backdrop on the image.

ScopeWraith? TheSphynx? Thoughts? I still don't think it makes Megan (or the winners) a rule breaker as it was not under the actual rules, but this is just my opinion on the topic and I want to know how you see this POV.

I mean, sure. If people didn't read the WHOLE post and only read the rules, I can see where the confusion would be. For everyone that says, "I thought it just needed to have the sign in the image." I can tell you right now, they clearly didn't read the description and ONLY the rules. People like myself, and many others that DID read the description put in extra work just because we spent the little extra time to read the whole post. Unfortunately, reading the WHOLE post, including the description, worked as a disadvantage to you. In essence, it limited your options because in the back of your mind, you KNEW it had to be pinned to a sign. If you KNEW the sign could be anywhere, that would have opened up A LOT more options of creativity, but the description says "Against a sign".

Edited by TheSphynx

I mean, sure. If people didn't read the WHOLE post and only read the rules, I can see where the confusion would be. For everyone that says, "I thought it just needed to have the sign in the image." I can tell you right now, they clearly didn't read the description and ONLY the rules. People like myself, and many others that DID read the description put in extra work just because we spent the little extra time to read the whole post. Unfortunately, reading the WHOLE post, including the description, worked as a disadvantage to you. In essence, it limited your option because in the back of your mind, you KNEW it had to be pinned to a sign. If you KNEW the sign could be anywhere, that would have opened op A LOT more option of creativity, but the description says "Against a sign".

So basically you said that you read the laid out rules, the introduction, and assumed that it had to be "Against the sign" even though "Against the sign" isn't listed on the rules?

Why didn't you posted, created a thread, PM'd Megan.. did anything to clarify a possible confusion like a lot of people would've?

ITT: People misinterpreting OP's post as a QQ thread
People trolling OP
OP getting trolled

OP, you might as well give up. This forum has an abundance of people who's only view on threads are:

-Complaining about something I don't mind? QQ'er.
-Complaint about something I also dislike. OP is is 9001% correct.

-Complaining about something contest related:
     A)I agree with OP. -OP's point is valid.

B)I disagree with OP. -OP is just jealous.

So basically you said that you read the laid out rules, the introduction, and assumed that it had to be "Against the sign" even though "Against the sign" isn't listed on the rules?

Why didn't you posted, created a thread, PM'd Megan.. did anything to clarify a possible confusion like a lot of people would've?

If the rules seemed simple to OP, he/she wouldn't necessarily have assumed there is a confusion. It'd only be after OP saw people who didn't follow the rules as he/she interpreted win that he/she would have known to question either the validity of those entries or their interpretation of the rules.
Edited by SquirmyBurrito

There were many questions asked, none of them were answered. Few questions regarding image editing and also a few about this topic. As I said, none of them were answered.

Also, AGAINST THE SIGN is in the Contest Description. I don't understand why you are disregarding this. Just because it isn't in the "Rule List" doesn't mean it shouldn't be followed. You have a sample image of a Grineer pinned to a sign and you have a description saying "against a sign". Am I wrong?

Edited by TheSphynx

People trolling OP

OP getting trolled

OP, you might as well give up. This forum has an abundance of people who's only view on threads are:

You got my point. This kind of threads should not be here at all, mostly because Forum isnt great place to complain about anything.

Problems like this should be taken directly to GMs. Posting stuff like this wont solve anything, it will only bring trolls and griefers. It is counterproductive,

ScopeWraith? TheSphynx? Thoughts? I still don't think it makes Megan (or the winners) a rule breaker as it was not under the actual rules, but this is just my opinion on the topic and I want to know how you see this POV.

My thoughts:

I am going to use an analogy just for the heck of it.

Today we are going to make a Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich!

- Get 2 slice of bread.

- Put peanut butter on one slice of bread.

- Put jelly on the other.

- Put together.

- Eat.

Now.... How would you have made your sandwich (using simple common sense)? The description is telling you its a sandwich. That being said. You would have applied the PB&J and then layered the 2 slices of bread on top of each other. Just like any other sandwich (Cause after-all. I did say sandwich). BUT... All I said was "Put together" in the rules/guideline. The description specifically told you what you were making. Are you going to put the pieces of bread together and roll them into a ball?

Simple as that. xD

Edited by ScopeWraith

People trolling OP

OP getting trolled

"Look at these images that took so little time to capture, now look at my images. We put so much sweat into these pictures, making the lighting right and casting powers at just the right time so the picture comes out in excellent contrast. We got such great feedback on our pictures and talks of why we should win the event. These people who put such little effort into their pictures won.... but it's not about the pictures, guys." 

Yes. xD

We are on the same page.

Again I would state what I believe is the end result of the event, It was the discretion of the one who manages the event, even if we, the participants,  understood the guidelines and rules word for word. Sometimes, what you type and say can not really express the idea inside your head.

It's all about how the rule was stated by the judge, and how the participant understood it. there can be discrepancy. Thus a disqualifying entry for you, may be a winning entry for her. And vice versa. I hope I have brought some clarity to your troubles. I meant no disrespect, again just expressing my thoughts. 

Edited by yangskiii

There were many questions asked, none of them were answered. Few questions regarding image editing and also a few about this topic. As I said, none of them were answered.

Fair enough. Personally i would have made sure that particular detail was clarified before investing time into creating a nice screenshot, just so you know where i'm coming from.

You're quite obviously exasperated right now. If i was one of the contenders and i had invested a lot of time putting together a piece while interpreting the rules as you did, and then other people who interpreted them differently won and i got nothing i would be livid as well. Similar things happened in the past on my life, but once i calmed down and looked back at it with a calm and cold mind i realized that... yeah.. that was just interpretation, and losing didn't mean much.

For me it was a costume party that i thought had to feature only custom-made costumes. Doesn't change the fact that the Darth Vader helmet i made myself out of cardboard and aluminum wire-frame isn't still a cool piece, just like your screenshots (i think it was rad).

"Look at these images that took so little time to capture, now look at my images. We put so much sweat into these pictures, making the lighting right and casting powers at just the right time so the picture comes out in excellent contrast. We got such great feedback on our pictures and talks of why we should win the event. These people who put such little effort into their pictures won.... but it's not about the pictures, guys."

Clearly didn't read. I never said these entries didn't have any creativity or were lacking in effort. I actually had the ember one in my top 5. I'm clearly stating that these entries didn't follow what the presented contest description, sample image, and rules. Edited by TheSphynx

You got my point. This kind of threads should not be here at all, mostly because Forum isnt great place to complain about anything.

Problems like this should be taken directly to GMs. Posting stuff like this wont solve anything, it will only bring trolls and griefers. It is counterproductive,

No. I didn't agree with that point. We shouldn't be forced to limit our feedback purely because trolls exist. That's like saying you shouldn't drive because drunk drivers exist.

Examples aren't a bad thing.

Edited by SquirmyBurrito

Clearly didn't read. I never said these entries didn't have any creativity or were lacking in effort. I actually had the ember one in my top 5. I'm clearly stating that these entries didn't follow what the presented contest description, sample image, and rules.

Now, take a look at the 2 entries that DID NOT follow this rule, but still won the contest:

In both of these images, you will notice the Grineer IS NOT pinned to the sign. Which is, the MOST important rule in this contest. What about the people that put in the extra time and effort to actually follow the rules? The people that QUALIFIED for the event. They just got beat by 2 entries that completely broke the rules.

My entry and ScopeWraith's entry (not bragging or claiming we deserved to win over others) got the most upvotes from page 20 to 71. I was flooded with messages from players asking to help them with their screenshots or asking for a wallpaper version. That doesn't put me above the entries that BROKE THE RULES? Here are our entries to the contest. I want to know what you guys think.

Both images took extremely long to capture and both images FOLLOW THE RULES. As for creativity? There is a dedicated Volt photographer, not only to capture the image, but to control environment and ambient lighting. Multiple skill casts that took incredible patience to capture at the perfect timing. Ballista being presented in a way other than just "looking down the sights". Which of the 2 entries that DID NOT follow the rules went to that length of creativity?

Yeah, the event results have made me incredibly upset, but not because I didn't win. It's because I lost to entries that broke the rules. As posted above, the rules CLEARLY state "Take a creative screenshot of them pinned against a Grineer sign!". Not, "Take a creative screenshot of them pinned against the wall and a sign somewhere in the screenshot!"

No. I didn't agree with that point. We shouldn't be forced to limit our feedback purely because trolls exist. That's like saying you shouldn't drive because drunk drivers exist.

Examples aren't a bad thing.

You miss my point here. If you have problems with something or someone, you should complain directly to him/her. Not being passive aggressive and post it on forums so people can side with you.

OP feels cheated ( prolly, not gonna go there ), in some way he/them have reason to be. But, in the end complaining here about the contest seems like one big whining thread. He/they should take the problems directly to Megan or whomever was responsible for it, and see what she/he will say. Why avoiding it? It is the the fastest way to solve their issue.

What do the want to gain by this thread? People support? Change contest winners? Make themslevs look wronged by DE?

In the end this will end as one big derailed thread, with people arguing about things that doesnt have any relation with OP request.

Edited by RoboDog

THE RULES said "Pinned to a sign"

They said NOTHING about slight editing of the image.

sorry, this made me lol.  editing an image for a contest seems kinda crooked imo.  anyways, your entry looks amazing.  sorry it didnt work out for you.

I get where the OP is coming from. I interpreted the contest post as "Pin the Grineer to a sign".

While the rules did not explicitly say "to" the wall. The fact that there were two conflicting statements caused a hell of a lot of confusion.

But, sorry OP, but your post doesn't help your case. It does sound like vanity is just making you angry.

That along with other posts in this thread - https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/123450-pin-the-grineer-winners/

I'm not saying you are just upset that you didn't win. It's just the impression that your post gives.

Regardless of the OP's intentions, the contest was not clear.

Also, I haven't seen the announcement of the winners, but if those 2 pics in your OP are 2 of them, then I agree that they aren't creative at all.

1. Casting Fire blast and looking away isn't creative or interesting.

2. I'm not getting how the second picture is anything at all....

That being said, the images you posted in your picture are nice to look at, but do they scream creativity either?

They are very similar to the Ember one. You pinned a Grineer and casted a power.

(Yes, I understand that yours took more effort with Volts/coordination. But, either way, it's still just as simple as casting a power)

"Take a creative screenshot of pinned AGAINST a Grineer sign."

Straight from the rules.... There is no other way of interpreting that statement other than a Grineer LITERALLY being pinned AGAINST a sign....

I'll just assume English isn't your native language, because there are a lot ways that can be interpreted.

Against:

1. In a direction or course opposite to: row against the current.
2. So as to come into forcible contact with: waves dashing against the shore.
3. In contact with so as to rest or press on: leaned against the tree.
4. In hostile opposition or resistance to: struggle against fate.
5. Contrary to; opposed to: against my better judgment.
6. In competition with: race against the record holder.
7. In contrast or comparison with the setting or background of: dark colors against a fair skin.
8. In preparation for; in anticipation of: food stored against winter.
9. As a defense or safeguard from: protection against the cold.
10. To the account or debt of: drew a check against my bank balance.
11. Directly opposite to; facing.

It was #7. You thought #3. So did others. It's not a big deal, so just chillout Mr. Photoshop.
Edited by Siubijeni

I'll just assume English isn't your native language, because there are a lot ways that can be interpreted.

Against:

1. In a direction or course opposite to: row against the current.
2. So as to come into forcible contact with: waves dashing against the shore.
3. In contact with so as to rest or press on: leaned against the tree.
4. In hostile opposition or resistance to: struggle against fate.
5. Contrary to; opposed to: against my better judgment.
6. In competition with: race against the record holder.
7. In contrast or comparison with the setting or background of: dark colors against a fair skin.
8. In preparation for; in anticipation of: food stored against winter.
9. As a defense or safeguard from: protection against the cold.
10. To the account or debt of: drew a check against my bank balance.
11. Directly opposite to; facing.

It was #7. You thought #3. So did others. It's not a big deal, so just chillout Mr. Photoshop.

So you went to google defined the word "against" and ignored how it was used in the original statement?

#7, Mr. English Teacher, states comparing and contrasting. Completely different than what "It was"

Once again. Please stop with the, "Mr. Photoshop" rants. Both images were cropped and had the warframe logo added to them. THAT IS IT! For you to claim that cropping an image, as well as adding the warframe text makes my image so bad makes me wonder how creative your screenshot was, and whether or not YOU broke any of the rules.

I am tired of seeing people hating. It doesn't bother me and I am sure it doesn't bother TheSphynx. I know my screenshot came out great and so does he. The supporters we both received had proven that. So if you have anything negative to add, please refrain from adding them to this thread. All we are trying to figure out is why she broke her own rules to pick winners.... That is it.

Once again. Please stop with the, "Mr. Photoshop" rants. Both images were cropped and had the warframe logo added to them. THAT IS IT! For you to claim that cropping an image, as well as adding the warframe text makes my image so bad makes me wonder how creative your screenshot was, and whether or not YOU broke any of the rules.

This... this isn't helping your case. It's just insulting the other players and once again giving us the impression that you're bitter because you didn't win. Also, pressing the 3 key in order to cause pretty lights isn't creative. It's pressing a pretty lights button.

This... this isn't helping your case. It's just insulting the other players and once again giving us the impression that you're bitter because you didn't win. Also, pressing the 3 key in order to cause pretty lights isn't creative. It's pressing a pretty lights button.

It's the "4" key for volt. But anyways, you are another person that has been negatively bashing this thread from the beginning. If you have nothing constructive (or even just a general opinion) to say, then just ignore the thread and move on....Please!

So you went to google defined the word "against" and ignored how it was used in the original statement?

#7, Mr. English Teacher, states comparing and contrasting. Completely different than what "It was"

I am tired of seeing people hating. It doesn't bother me and I am sure it doesn't bother TheSphynx. I know my screenshot came out great and so does he. The supporters we both received had proven that. So if you have anything negative to add, please refrain from adding them to this thread. All we are trying to figure out is why she broke her own rules to pick winners.... That is it.

Criticism isnt always good. Sometimes you will get negative feedback. You should learn from it, both positive and negative. I know you are proud of your "art", but art is in the eye of viewer. Not all people will find your picture creative and good. Try to understand that whomever was picking winners is having different views of creative.

It's the "4" key for volt. But anyways, you are another person that has been negatively bashing this thread from the beginning. If you have nothing constructive (or even just a general opinion) to say, then just ignore the thread and move on....Please!

Technically I've been responding to the OP with my personal opinion (hey OPinion)

I am done posting for a little while. I am sick of constantly saying this. I don't know whether trying to get the point across to some of you will ever work, but I am going to say it one last time and take a break.

We aren't upset that we lost because of someones opinion of creativity.

We aren't upset that there are a ton of better images out there.

We aren't upset that you think our work "Is not good"... (Don't even know why you would add that)

WE ARE UPSET that she broke her own rules and picked winners that didn't FOLLOW THOSE RULES.

That is all I am posting for awhile. I hope that clarification finally makes sense to some of you...

Edited by ScopeWraith