Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Pin The Grineer Contest: Some Winners Didn't Follow The Rules.

TheSphynx

I am done posting for a little while. I am sick of constantly saying this. I don't know whether trying to get the point across to some of you will ever work, but I am going to say it one last time and take a break.

We aren't upset that we lost because of someones opinion of creativity.

We aren't upset that there are a ton of better images out there.

We aren't upset that you think our work "Is not good"... (Don't even know why you would add that)

WE ARE UPSET that she broke her own rules and picked winners that didn't FOLLOW THOSE RULES.

That is all I am posting for awhile. I hope that clarification finally makes sense to some of you...

Again, the rules are up to interpretation. Don't be butthurt, accept it, take a deep breath, and remember there's always more contests.

I mean, sure. If people didn't read the WHOLE post and only read the rules, I can see where the confusion would be. For everyone that says, "I thought it just needed to have the sign in the image." I can tell you right now, they clearly didn't read the description and ONLY the rules. People like myself, and many others that DID read the description put in extra work just because we spent the little extra time to read the whole post. Unfortunately, reading the WHOLE post, including the description, worked as a disadvantage to you. In essence, it limited your options because in the back of your mind, you KNEW it had to be pinned to a sign. If you KNEW the sign could be anywhere, that would have opened up A LOT more options of creativity, but the description says "Against a sign".

Fair argument. I still think that what was under the rules, which are automatically supposed to be followed, compared to a description that is not considered the rules nor said you had to follow it (so you can't be disqualified for it, I'd imagine) is more important and should override that extra detail. But I cannot say you're at fault for how your mind worked with the situation; I read the entire post and decided to purely follow the rules when constructing my screenshot (that I never even got around to).

My thoughts:

I am going to use an analogy just for the heck of it.

Today we are going to make a Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich!

- Get 2 slice of bread.

- Put peanut butter on one slice of bread.

- Put jelly on the other.

- Put together.

- Eat.

Now.... How would you have made your sandwich (using simple common sense)? The description is telling you its a sandwich. That being said. You would have applied the PB&J and then layered the 2 slices of bread on top of each other. Just like any other sandwich (Cause after-all. I did say sandwich). BUT... All I said was "Put together" in the rules/guideline. The description specifically told you what you were making. Are you going to put the pieces of bread together and roll them into a ball?

Simple as that. xD

Mmm, I guess so. xD It's just with the event, one was contradicting the other; your recipe (in my mind) does not contradict itself nor is unclear, as putting two slices of bread together is fairly straightforward. Now, if it says something like "Today we are going to learn how to stack a PB&J sandwich properly!" followed by "Take one slice of bread, put jelly on it, then take the other slice, put PB on it, and eat it however you want!"

However, that is a recipe which can be taken lightly (or modified however you want) versus a contest with rules that must be followed and a description that gives a basic rundown of what the event is about (but is not telling you that you must do as it says). If the description says we're pinning Grineer onto a sign, and then in the rules it says you can pin it however you want so long as a sign is present in the picture, my point stands: one is more important than the other.

To conclude:

All we are trying to figure out is why she broke her own rules to pick winners.... That is it.

My passive/constructive/2cents argument to this topic is: Megan did not break her own rules, nor did the winning screenshots. The rules said make the sign present anywhere; the description is not part of the rules, nor did it say it was.

Edit: oops, I was typing this wall of text and didn't see that you're not replying for a while. D:

Edited by Aramet

I am done posting for a little while. I am sick of constantly saying this. I don't know whether trying to get the point across to some of you will ever work, but I am going to say it one last time and take a break.

We aren't upset that you think our work "Is not good"... (Don't even know why you would add that)

WE ARE UPSET that she broke her own rules and picked winners that didn't FOLLOW THOSE RULES.

That is all I am posting for awhile. I hope that clarification finally makes sense to some of you...

Scope. Megan did not break the rules. As, Look at the rules below. It's. Right. There.

There were many questions asked, none of them were answered. Few questions regarding image editing and also a few about this topic. As I said, none of them were answered.

Also, AGAINST THE SIGN is in the Contest Description. I don't understand why you are disregarding this. Just because it isn't in the "Rule List" doesn't mean it shouldn't be followed. You have a sample image of a Grineer pinned to a sign and you have a description saying "against a sign". Am I wrong?

You aren't wrong, But that picture was just one way to do the event. It never said that was the only way to do it. Again, Refer to the rules.

axljqx.png

I don't see what's the problem here. If anything you can complain that you felt misled, Or that they should have clarified it better. But, Claiming Megan broke her own rules? Yeeeeeea-No.

Also, If the purpose of this thread was purely about the rules having been broken, And not about you have lost it, Then why even post your own pictures? Kind of sends the opposite waves to what you say.

Edited by SJunior

Really? This thread is a fantastic read.

I read what you are saying, but it just screams the exact opposite. You are simply butthurt that you haven't won, simple enough. Beside, it's their event, they do not owe you anything. Get off your high horse.

You people are being childish here. If you really did acknowledge the fact the winners have better screenshots than you, you would just leave it at that like everyone else. What do you hope to achieve here? If they were to apologize and acknowledge it as a mistake (which isn't), that action by itself would warrant a need for new winners. And that would be ridiculous.

I believe it is obvious that it was more guidelines than actual set in stone rules. Creativity is obviously the important message here. It's about Creating something they like. The whole thing is subjective to begin with. It's not the olympics, it's not about scoring the best time lap here. It's about making something they find nice. The details are completely irrelevant. The winners had the creativity to get out of the suggested frame. They took it upon themselves to make something different and that is a form of creativity.

I read what you are saying, but it just screams the exact opposite. You are simply butthurt that you haven't won, simple enough. Beside, it's their event, they do not owe you anything. Get off your high horse.

You people are being childish here. If you really did acknowledge the fact the winners have better screenshots than you, you would just leave it at that like everyone else. What do you hope to achieve here? If they were to apologize and acknowledge it as a mistake (which isn't), that action by itself would warrant a need for new winners. And that would be ridiculous.

I believe it is obvious that it was more guidelines than actual set in stone rules. Creativity is obviously the important message here. It's about Creating something they like. The whole thing is subjective to begin with. It's not the olympics, it's not about scoring the best time lap here. It's about making something they find nice. The details are completely irrelevant. The winners had the creativity to get out of the suggested frame. They took it upon themselves to make something different and that is a form of creativity.

Well... I wanted to take a break. But that "butthurt" term gets to me EVERYTIME...

First of all.... Our images were, in my opinion, as creative as they possibly could have been FOLLOWING THE RULES. If I knew that having the tiniest Grineer logo qualified as having "a grineer pinned AGAINST a sign", that would have opened up TONS more creative ideas. Instead I followed the rules, and lost to people who didn't.

For those that are saying it doesn't say "Pinned against (Meaning directly to) the sign"... What about the example image they offered? What about the description claiming PINNED AGAINST A GRINEER SIGN? I don't know about you. But those two example made it more than clear that the grineer had to specifically be pinned TO THE SIGN.

Edited by ScopeWraith

As I have said plenty of times. I have no problem with losing. No problem at all. When guidelines are set, followed by rules, which do you follow? Just the rules? Forget the guidelines were even mentioned?

First you read "Track down the cowardly Grineer and take a creative screenshot of them pinned against a Grineer sign!" in the description. You continue onto the rules and you see "Must include a Grineer sign". Does that automatically mean you disregard the previous statement in the description? I can't understand where you are finding that logical.

The point is, without the "Against a Grineer Sign" guideline, millions of new creative possibilities open up. You aren't limited to ONLY things you can do in front of a Grinner pinned "Against a Sign" (trust me, there isn't many). Essentially putting people that read the Event Post thoroughly and followed EVERY statement and rule at a disadvantage. Arguing the definition of "against" is semantics. If you saw the sample image and you read "Against a Sign", 9 out of 10 people would understand that you needed to pin the Grineer TO A SIGN. It's just common sense.

I have to agree that any images like those should be disqualified. It's clearly shown both from DE's own image, and introductory text that Grineer MUST be pinned to a sign. Although the actual rules don't mention it again, it's implied based on the previous image and statements.

Personally, I didn't bother participating or even look at any of the screenshots in the competition. Part of the reason is because sometimes DE's logic just baffles me with some of the stuff they do. Just look at the whole Snipetron scandal and also more recent weapon removals as an example.

I have to agree that any images like those should be disqualified. It's clearly shown both from DE's own image, and introductory text that Grineer MUST be pinned to a sign. Although the actual rules don't mention it again, it's implied based on the previous image and statements.

Personally, I didn't bother participating or even look at any of the screenshots in the competition. Part of the reason is because sometimes DE's logic just baffles me with some of the stuff they do. Just look at the whole Snipetron scandal and also more recent weapon removals as an example.

Thank you for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated. To know that others also feel the same about these results makes me feel better about making this post.

There were many questions asked, none of them were answered. Few questions regarding image editing and also a few about this topic. As I said, none of them were answered.

Also, AGAINST THE SIGN is in the Contest Description. I don't understand why you are disregarding this. Just because it isn't in the "Rule List" doesn't mean it shouldn't be followed. You have a sample image of a Grineer pinned to a sign and you have a description saying "against a sign". Am I wrong?

Um...not being stated in the rules means that it IS allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. You may have seen it somewhere else. *Cough* US Constitution *Cough* Edited by Ionus

No it is not implied at all. Not because she pinned it to the sign means everyone has to like little sheeps and robots. It's an example. When you see an add on healthy food and you see a fruit, it doesnt mean fruits are the only healthy food there is. Use your judgement a bit.

---

Also you people need to go read your dictionary again. The word "AGAINST" isnt equal with "directly put on". It would be nice if we could communicate in the language people has agreed on using for centuries.

Also, I would like to go back to one of my major argument here. This event, like any other of this type, is subjective to begin with. I am certain that if all of us were to chose winners on our own we would have come with different results. The winners can not be decided by quantified results, but by something that seems to be highly elusive to you : a matter of personal taste.

The rules (which were conveniently ommited in the OP) states a sign must be included period. And so there was one. In both cases, so I don't even see what you people are complaining about. Again, just childish behavior.

You people ougth to congratulate the winners, take a hint and do better next time. You will never achieve anything if you can't even take defeat with dignity. It just makes you sore losers.

Edited by Theodorick

No it is not implied at all. Not because she pinned it to the sign means everyone has to like little sheeps and robots. It's an example. When you see an add on healthy food and you see a fruit, it doesnt mean fruits are the only healthy food there is. Use your judgement a bit.

---

Also you people need to go read your dictionary again. The word "AGAINST" isnt equal with "directly put on". It would be nice if we could communicate in the language people has agreed on using for centuries.

Also, I would like to go back to one of my major argument here. This event, like any other of this type, is subjective to begin with. I am certain that if all of us were to chose winners on our own we would have come with different results. The winners can not be decided by quantified results, but by something that seems to be highly elusive to you : a matter of personal taste.

The rules (which were conveniently ommited in the OP) states a sign must be included period. And so there was one. In both cases, so I don't even see what you people are complaining about. Again, just childish behavior.

You people ougth to congratulate the winners, take a hint and do better next time. You will never achieve anything if you can't even take defeat with dignity. It just makes you sore losers.

Thanks for your feedback, although your opinion doesn't mean much to me. Just another somebody driving by a post without reading the key points in the discussion. Thank you for taking time to post, it's appreciated.

Thanks for your feedback, although your opinion doesn't mean much to me. Just another somebody driving by a post without reading the key points in the discussion. Thank you for taking time to post, it's appreciated.

I've read this entire thread in one sitting, and any "constrictive feedback" that you seem to be acknowledging are posts that agree with you. I'm not taking a side yet, but that's just how it seems to me.

Wouldn't it? What "has" you been up to lately, other than bashing on peoples intelligence?

I am talking about meaning, not spelling. I am not a grammar nazi. If you want to hit on me, please attack the message and not the messenger. That would actually add some weight to your argument, but it seems you do not have any at this point.

Do you even have anything to say in response to any of my arguments? Have you read the post at all past the "has" mistake? I doubt it. It is expected that you would deflect something that you can't counter.

Edited by Theodorick

At the end of the day, this is a little more than just some unanswered questions and finger-pointing. I'm not going to be serious on this matter, because it is an event after all. Not only are you not guaranteed to win, your show of productivity does not always net you a winning spot. It's the luck of the draw, and events like these keep the rewards from being recycled to the same people.

Do you even have anything to say in response to any of my arguments? Have you read the post at all past the "has" mistake? I doubt it. It is expected that you would deflect something that you can't counter.

Yes I did. I was hoping I wouldn't have to repeat myself for the millionth time just because someone else came into the post shooting his mouth off.... ::sighs::

Can we PLEASE keep this civil?

Yes I did. I was hoping I wouldn't have to repeat myself for the millionth time just because someone else came into the post shooting his mouth off.... ::sighs::

Things are never civil when you use caps in your post. Breathe, good sir.

I've read this entire thread in one sitting, and any "constrictive feedback" that you seem to be acknowledging are posts that agree with you. I'm not taking a side yet, but that's just how it seems to me.

I apologize if that is how it seems. You see, when you post something, and it gets called "a whine fest" or "here comes the flame wars" or the thread just gets flat out trolled, it gets a bit ridiculous. People are constantly putting words in my mouth claiming that "I think my entry is better than the rest". Which is simply not the case.

- Sample Image, Event Description, and Listed Rules are posted.

- Listed Rules can be taken in 2 different ways. It can back up the "Pinned to a Sign" Description and Sample Image OR it can make a new rule of it's own "Pinned anywhere, sign anywhere".

- Following the Sample Image, Event Description, AND Rules all together put you at a disadvantage as it limits how creative you can be.

- Following the listed rules ONLY, allows for more creativity but it doesn't follow the guidelines of the Event Description and Sample Image.

- 2 out of 5 winners are selected that ONLY followed the "listed rules" not the Sample Image and Event Description.

I'm not discriminating against any post. Yes, I want to thank people for posting CONSTRUCTIVE feedback, good or bad, but I don't want to hear from the trolls or people that don't read a single sentence in my posts.

And yet again you have given me no answer. You keep avoiding it.

So far you have had no problem in repeating the same broken record on how they should be disqualified and how DE didn't respect their own rules, but when someone challenges you now you do not want to repeat yourself. How clever of you.

When you are trying to persuade people on something, you need to have arguments. When your arguments are being challenged, you need to back them up really. Otherwise, what are they? Nothing, just stuff coming out of your mouth. If you can't even defend yourself why should you be taken seriously? You are just throwing a tantrum and hoping someone will agree with you to stop the crying. That's not how it works.

And yet again you have given me no answer. You keep avoiding it.

So far you have had no problem in repeating the same broken record on how they should be disqualified and how DE didn't respect their own rules, but when someone challenges you now you do not want to repeat yourself. How clever of you.

When you are trying to persuade people on something, you need to have arguments. When your arguments are being challenged, you need to back them up really. Otherwise, what are they? Nothing, just stuff coming out of your mouth. If you can't even defend yourself why should you be taken seriously? You are just throwing a tantrum and hoping someone will agree with you to stop the crying. That's not how it works.

I haven't given you an answer? I quoted and directly responded to one of your posts and you never said anything else after that. I've backed up everything I have posted, I've defended every point I've brought up. You came to this thread claiming people were "childish" "butthurt" and "crying" and that wasn't the case. We are discussing issues regarding how the event rules were laid out, and you, like I said in my previous post, are just another drive-by poster, not giving any thought to the topic in discussion.

EDIT: Also, I never said anything about disqualifying the winners. Not once. Sure, when she is going through posts, I'm sure she disqualifies a lot (images not posted on the forums correctly), but you can't just disqualify after they have already been picked as a winner.

Edited by TheSphynx

This thread has gotten very touchy. Lots of gray area when it comes to respecting players, harassing comments etc... It could be argued that the original post of this thread was incendiary/volatile to begin with, and invited belittling and borderline harassing comments from other players.

Sphynx, Scope, we get it. You're not happy with how winners were drawn. This thread isn't the way to go about righting a wrong because what's done is done. 

What you should do is get in touch with Megan if you're dissatisfied or want to complain about how the winners were picked, or if you think that the winners didn't follow the rules.

And without further ado (or back and forth banter) I'm locking this thread until further notice.