Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Zbluebone

Question

6 answers to this question

Short version: 

Damage, then viral, multishot next, add crit mods if they're worth it, heat if they're not, then utility mods. Melee weapons should get combo duration, attack speed, and range as soon as you're satisfied with the damage, primaries probably want punch through.

Longer:

This whole process will take an orokin catalyst & at least two forma to work. It's only worthwhile if the weapon is fun - I've "won damage" often enough in sorties with mk-1 weapons to be confident that any weapon can waste level 100's; so no matter how powerful or meta a weapon is, it ain't worth building up if you don't like it. If you want a levelling build for mastery trash, just do damage + an element (heat for grineer/infested, toxin for corpus), then one utility or crit mod. 

------------

First, slap on the +damage mod (pressure point, point blank, hornet strike, or serration). It's worth it to have one that's maxed out, and one that's r8.

On melee, if you have the gold combo duration mod, here's where you add it. That's because it only costs 5 capacity, though. Combo count comes into its own later. Bows probably want fire rate here too.

A complex element is always worth it, though not always optimal. If you don't want to do math, add the 60/60 mods for viral or corrosive. Have one weapon that's just toxin if you want an easy way to deal with Corpus.

If it has at least 2.0 crit damage and a decent crit chance (depends on the weapon type), crit mods are a wise investment. If it doesn't have the crit chance, adding just the crit damage mod can be worth it if you have certain late game trickery. If it doesn't have decent Crit damage, modding for crits is never worth it.

Multishot goes on next, for ranged weapons. If crit mods won't double the damage output you should replace them first, then add them back as more capacity becomes available.

If you're not using crit mods, add a more elements. If the weapon doesn't have a workable status chance (depends on fire rate), changing them from the 60/60 to 90% elemental mods is probably wise here.

As soon as you're happy with your damage, add utility or Quality of Life mods. Punch through, fire rate, range, attack speed... Things that let you hit more dudes instead of hitting harder. Don't add punch through on explosive weapons, though, it makes them worse. There's no shame in using reload speed mods, but disengaging is smarter than reloading in combat.

You could build for more damage, but if you're asking for help with mods, then you won't fight enemies who are worth it for a long, long time. Killing faster is more important than bigger overkill.

4 hours ago, (PSN)theMycon said:

Short version: 

Damage, then viral, multishot next, add crit mods if they're worth it, heat if they're not, then utility mods. Melee weapons should get combo duration, attack speed, and range as soon as you're satisfied with the damage, primaries probably want punch through.

Longer:

This whole process will take an orokin catalyst & at least two forma to work. It's only worthwhile if the weapon is fun - I've "won damage" often enough in sorties with mk-1 weapons to be confident that any weapon can waste level 100's; so no matter how powerful or meta a weapon is, it ain't worth building up if you don't like it. If you want a levelling build for mastery trash, just do damage + an element (heat for grineer/infested, toxin for corpus), then one utility or crit mod. 

------------

First, slap on the +damage mod (pressure point, point blank, hornet strike, or serration). It's worth it to have one that's maxed out, and one that's r8.

On melee, if you have the gold combo duration mod, here's where you add it. That's because it only costs 5 capacity, though. Combo count comes into its own later. Bows probably want fire rate here too.

A complex element is always worth it, though not always optimal. If you don't want to do math, add the 60/60 mods for viral or corrosive. Have one weapon that's just toxin if you want an easy way to deal with Corpus.

If it has at least 2.0 crit damage and a decent crit chance (depends on the weapon type), crit mods are a wise investment. If it doesn't have the crit chance, adding just the crit damage mod can be worth it if you have certain late game trickery. If it doesn't have decent Crit damage, modding for crits is never worth it.

Multishot goes on next, for ranged weapons. If crit mods won't double the damage output you should replace them first, then add them back as more capacity becomes available.

If you're not using crit mods, add a more elements. If the weapon doesn't have a workable status chance (depends on fire rate), changing them from the 60/60 to 90% elemental mods is probably wise here.

As soon as you're happy with your damage, add utility or Quality of Life mods. Punch through, fire rate, range, attack speed... Things that let you hit more dudes instead of hitting harder. Don't add punch through on explosive weapons, though, it makes them worse. There's no shame in using reload speed mods, but disengaging is smarter than reloading in combat.

You could build for more damage, but if you're asking for help with mods, then you won't fight enemies who are worth it for a long, long time. Killing faster is more important than bigger overkill.

This is a really admirable post and i think we all should appreciate the efforts went into writing it.

However, op is an 0 reply member asking how mods work. When i first learned about mods, the best explanation that i understand and still remember to this day was:

Top right corner of every cards is like "weight" of your mods. "Capacity" is the total weight that your warframe can carry

Don't auto equip. Read the mod descriptions even though you won't understand most of them. Slap the ones with descriptions that you think you like on your warframe

But it could be just me. I'm pretty stupid.

5 hours ago, Soy77 said:

This is a really admirable post and i think we all should appreciate the efforts went into writing it.

However, op is an 0 reply member asking how mods work. 

Yeah, I probably should have considered that.

The non-default-avatar threw me. I generally use "changed their glyph", "colored their lander", and "writes in complete sentences" as my three signs a player understands the basics.

18 hours ago, (PSN)theMycon said:

Yeah, I probably should have considered that.

The non-default-avatar threw me. I generally use "changed their glyph", "colored their lander", and "writes in complete sentences" as my three signs a player understands the basics.

No actually I perfectly understood what you were saying, even tho i'm new to the game it was helpful. :)

Thanks

Archived