Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Performance

Rishech

Question

I've been playing the other day and though to myself "Man, I think GTX 1080 should really be doing better than 20-30 frames at low-medium settings", but a quick look at the task manager showed that I was basically capped by the 3D aspect. Me question is why is this happening and if I can do something to improve the situation. 

Alienware R5 17 with intel i9, in case that helps :3

7 answers to this question

Playing on a laptop, I get FPS drops if I'm running on battery power, (usually either the power cord overheating or unplugging.) 

I got FPS drops from dx12 in the client (and apparently with dx12, FPS drops are considered an actual feature meaning there is no way to test if they are excessive or not), so I shut it off. 

And in the past I've seen FPS drops from games using the integrated GPU instead of dedicated, though it's been so very very long ago I don't know if that's still even a thing.  I was able to tell those games to use the right GPU, but it's been so long I can't remember how.

that's a Notebook, right?

if you want high performance out of your Notebook, go to the Power Plan settings, switch to High Performance. make sure you're also plugged in, otherwise the Notebook will probably underclock itself.

check you CPU Temperatures, it's common for a Notebook to have significant CPU Temperature problems. if it is running super hot, we can try to do something about that.

let's see, uhhh.
make sure your Notebook is using the dedicated GPU! in the Nvidia Control Panel you can select whether to default to the Integrated or the Dedicated. so make sure it's using the right one.

what is the Resolution of this Notebook? if it's ridiculous like a 2160p (4K) Display, that'll crush that Notebook post haste. you'd need to lower the Render Resolution to compensate for that if that is the case.

there's some quick shots in the dark for now, as a place to start.

On 2021-01-27 at 4:48 AM, taiiat said:

that's a Notebook, right?

if you want high performance out of your Notebook, go to the Power Plan settings, switch to High Performance. make sure you're also plugged in, otherwise the Notebook will probably underclock itself.

check you CPU Temperatures, it's common for a Notebook to have significant CPU Temperature problems. if it is running super hot, we can try to do something about that.

let's see, uhhh.
make sure your Notebook is using the dedicated GPU! in the Nvidia Control Panel you can select whether to default to the Integrated or the Dedicated. so make sure it's using the right one.

what is the Resolution of this Notebook? if it's ridiculous like a 2160p (4K) Display, that'll crush that Notebook post haste. you'd need to lower the Render Resolution to compensate for that if that is the case.

there's some quick shots in the dark for now, as a place to start.

It is a laptop (or a notebook, if you prefer to call it that), but it can handle Witcher 3 on Ultra with over 60 fps :3. 

I've managed to find the issue, my system was blocking one of the fans for no reason, so now I can get 120 fps on High with 2560x1440. Thanks for your suggestion tho, I found out that the problem lied in the cooling

Glad to hear op has solved his problem. And the problem was indeed on op's side.

But that being said, judging that the majority of warframe players are running the game on wooden pc powered by potatoes, an i9 alienware shouldn't have problem running anything by default.

The fact that it struggles running warframe on low settings tells us that warframe gotta be doing something wrong as well.

14 hours ago, Soy77 said:

Glad to hear op has solved his problem. And the problem was indeed on op's side.

But that being said, judging that the majority of warframe players are running the game on wooden pc powered by potatoes, an i9 alienware shouldn't have problem running anything by default.

The fact that it struggles running warframe on low settings tells us that warframe gotta be doing something wrong as well.

No, no, it was my processor not being able to cool off. I basically didn't have any cooling for i9 that jumps to 95-100 C instantly, so this one was 100% on me. After all, I can run max graphics with 120 fps now

35 minutes ago, Rishech said:

No, no, it was my processor not being able to cool off. I basically didn't have any cooling for i9 that jumps to 95-100 C instantly, so this one was 100% on me. After all, I can run max graphics with 120 fps now

Glad to hear that it was 100% on you.

Sadly me and many others are not as lucky. We have performance issues on machines that have no problem running heavier games. That's after switching to dx11 and classic engine as well as lowering settings and optimizing pc's performances.

Archived