Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The paint has fallen off the skinner box

Rauvian

I really do love this game and its given me countless hours of fun in the past.

I don't know why but lately its really felt more thinly veiled than ever as a means to engage with the grind mechanic but ultimately encourage plat farming/buying and just shortcutting a step.

To me I think the grind for lich guns was first step in that direction, then the way deimos started putting recipes behind so many non-space ninja activities like conservation, then the introduction of mechs, which are just bulky warframes that do warframe activities but as worse warframes. I really love the idea of railjacks but if you arent going to incorporate all of it into your core gameplay than it feels like a very weird distraction that you've quadrupled down on now with minimal return on investment.

When I first started this game I went in blind. I think the operator reveal was an awesome misdirect. I really enjoyed concepts being woven but all told the story was sloppy. Today, I feel like its been a long time since I've been engaged by the story. I remember loving the vibes Umbra Excalibur gave off but those tid-bits of story are so disconnected from each other.

The power fantasy used to be enough for me, but there is only so many ways you can be invincible and clear entire rooms at a time before it gets stagnant. A lot of the recent warframes aren't even on the same level of power as older warframes and don't get "balanced" in a place that the are on the same level. It just feels sloppy as all get out and 

I probably just need a break. I am thankful for all the fun this game has given me but I feel like this is more than just me burned out on the game. I feel like it is indicative of a greater truth about the health of the game.

The important thing to remember is that the intent of railjack is to incorporate it into all of the core gameplay. It has just gotten DElayed for several and obvious reasons. What we have now is what we were supposed to get last year more or less, but that whole year had to be replanned and reorganized, which is why we got Deimos, which was in reality planned to be part of a railjack infested expansion later down the line with a massive infested network in space (hopefully that will still come one day).

And I'm not sure on the frames and power fantasy. I can only really see Grendel and Lavos as being at a lower level of power compared to many old frames, yet both are far better than Inaros, Atlas and Valkyr, three other tank heavy frames. And with the right build Lavos is probably one of the best frames out there since he has the massive offense when needed and he more or less ignores incoming damage.

Regarding Deimos, I personally think it was a massive step in the right direction even if core rep activites were tied to conservation, since everything could be gotten in a far more passive manner compared to PoE and OV. I barely did any manual mining or tracking on Deimos, I caught my beasts and got my ore/gems just doing my regular stuff. I think I spent a single dedicated hour on mining and my only focused conservation (without lures and other crap) was when I hunted down my Panzer so I could get a companion, which took maybe 10 minutes.

I'm in the same boat; so as others have mentioned, it's time to hang it up for a while. To me, the game gives you dozens of directions to go but it doesn't really feel like it's about anything.

I can take a half-hour or so of play, but most of that is staring at the Navigation and thinking "I don't want to do any of this." Ironically, the thing that engaged me the most was zoning out while mining and conserving on Deimos, to rank up the Entrati. I could do that for hours, but I can't handle the core game anymore. 

I certainly watched one years ago about skinner boxes but thats very descriptive of current warframe. No coherent story. Complex "pellet" dispensing systems that reward/addict a player into ineracting with it.

Archived