Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mission types should not favor efficiency over fun.

_4shes

Opinion: This is just my opinion of course and you can disagree respectfully. If you've seen too many posts similar to this, save yourself the pain and move along.

TLDR;

To keep things short and precise, the current playstyle that a lot of missions enforce on a player are too similar or basic to be entertaining in my opinion. I feel like a lot of missions have put efficiency on the forefront and fun in the backburner on a low-heat. There's no balance between the two. The only mission/event that perfectly encapsulates these two concepts very well are Eidolons. It's no surprise that Eidolons are probably one of the most well designed enemies and missions in the game. Disruption is pretty noteworthy as well. They have a lot of depth and they keep the player engaged, active and there's a lot of room for optimization. 

Rest of Opinion 

There is a very rare circumstance however when the game accidentally produces something with good synergy and balance and that is Disruption Arbitration. Just like Eidolons, they keep the player engaged, active and there's a lot of room for optimization and efficiency. You can do two conduits at a time with the added risk of failing one or both. You get scaling rewards due to arbitration's reward systems. Rewards offered are both useful, in high demand and lead to other options (Vitus Essence). Some times the map's own uniqueness combines with mission types to create unique interactions such as ghouls from Mars. 

I feel like a lot of people have forgotten about their new player experience, when you weren't invincible. Some times a bit of vulnerability and room for error makes all the difference in an experience. The problem with the new player experience is that it's very short lived, and the journey to """""""""""""""Endgame""""""""""""""" has  enough time to tune and condition our minds into something completely different. Sure there's a lot to do in Warframe, but how much of it isn't just a copy and paste of what you're already used to or just plain repetition?

I think the problem lies with the enemies, you may like arbitrations but I don't just because is the same mission with tank-ier enemies and a glorified nullifier/healer that, mind you, is the only thing that keeps me awake playing those missions.

And that is the problem IMO, you see, the thing shouldn't be How long can you maintain X target, it should be How long can you maintain yourself and there is where the enemies come in. The enemies are just more tanky and deal more damage with every level they get but the mission doesn't changes overall and no matter how great the mission is, how interesting the story is or how unique the rewards are, if the things you face don't change all the effort developing that mission will be trashed away because players will see it just as a 20min long exterminate.

Eidolons are a good example but even then, they are far from what I think the game should have; they make you think but when you have the "meta" builds the fight becomes shot, change, shot, ability, repeat but as I said is a great example since most of the enemies only need one step of the previous mentioned to die.

4 hours ago, VoidArkhangel said:

I think the problem lies with the enemies, you may like arbitrations but I don't just because is the same mission with tank-ier enemies and a glorified nullifier/healer that, mind you, is the only thing that keeps me awake playing those missions.

And that is the problem IMO, you see, the thing shouldn't be How long can you maintain X target, it should be How long can you maintain yourself and there is where the enemies come in. The enemies are just more tanky and deal more damage with every level they get but the mission doesn't changes overall and no matter how great the mission is, how interesting the story is or how unique the rewards are, if the things you face don't change all the effort developing that mission will be trashed away because players will see it just as a 20min long exterminate.

Eidolons are a good example but even then, they are far from what I think the game should have; they make you think but when you have the "meta" builds the fight becomes shot, change, shot, ability, repeat but as I said is a great example since most of the enemies only need one step of the previous mentioned to die.

You're right. Warframe's issues are so intertwined and deep rooted. It's like a huge bundle of tangled cords and cables. They keep plugging and adding without regarding the mess that keeps building up 

In a grinding game, most players will put efficiency first before fun when judging a game mode. "Will the grind not be worse than the current one I usually experience?", this will be the first question that they will ask themselves. If yes, then they will look if the mode is fun for them to play. If not, they don't bother or get the new items and then never return. This is the problem the new void storms has.

On 2021-04-27 at 8:58 PM, _4shes said:

It's no surprise that Eidolons are probably one of the most well designed enemies and missions in the game.

🤔 Explain Yourself....

I feel like a lot of people have forgotten about their new player experience, when you weren't invincible. Some times a bit of vulnerability and room for error makes all the difference in an experience.

Most Warframe's aren't even close to being Invincible... They're actually extremely Squishy.... The only way they can survive is by Either Mass Murder or Mass Lockdown....

I mean there's also Invisibility but I don't count that as Actual Survivability because you're technically not engaging with the thing that can kill you...

The problem with the new player experience is that it's very short lived

Ofcourse.... Who wants to be a Noob Forever ?

On 2021-04-28 at 4:35 AM, DrivaMain said:

In a grinding game, most players will put efficiency first before fun when judging a game mode.

This is it.... If this doesn't change... Then the problem won't go away...

On 2021-04-28 at 4:35 AM, DrivaMain said:

This is the problem the new void storms has.

Oh yeah... I should go check that out... A whole new mode to get frustrated by !!! 😁

On 2021-05-03 at 9:28 AM, Lutesque said:

🤔 Explain Yourself....

"They have a lot of depth and they keep the player engaged, active and there's a lot of room for optimization."  Did you not read the post? 

1 hour ago, _4shes said:

"They have a lot of depth and they keep the player engaged, active and there's a lot of room for optimization."  

Examples ? 🤔

1 hour ago, _4shes said:

Did you not read the post? 

I did.... Atleast I think I did.... I don't remember....

A lot of players don't want that though, they want the loot.

eg Railjack was the best example of welld esigned fun mission that had a lot going for it: you could fly the ship, patch the hull, forge more ammo, combat boarders, attack the base, kill the enemy fighters with the guns or archwing, kill the enemy crewships with artillery or by boarding.

so much to do, all at once sometimes, never quite a dull moment, even if the missions were pretty much the same thing over and over, they never quite felt boring in the same way some standard missions are.

But so many didn't like it, they wanted it less taxing, more speedrunning to completion. I see it with murmur farms - the squads I join all want to get the mission over as quickly as possible, even if it means they get 4 thralls rather that take it slightly slower and get all 10. I see it with fissues when they complain "wut no reactant, wtf" after running around like crazy fools killing everything a fraction of a second after they spawn. Its madness, but that's how the game is these days - attention deficit kids wanting it all and wanting it now.

The only thing DE can do is make the enemies tankier and say to these players "farm for bestest loot so you can be moar power", and those players appear to love that.

... With threads as this one, shouldn't it be clearly obvious that certain things only change if players have an attitude adjustment...? I mean, no one's pointing a gun at a player's face while screaming "Complete the mission now! You have 1 second to comply!"... Just be inefficient if efficiency is a problem.

Spoiler

Not everyone has the same standard of "fun", hence why nothing is done centered on that fleeting high maintenance variable!

Archived