Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Vanilla archwing vs 65 FOV, HUD disabled .... co.pletely different game !!!

Doraz_

I see myself reading the environments more ....

i can see the enemies and i am not shooting at a blue/red square ....

I only wish we couod control the camera position, as the frame occupies too much of the screen and is sometime in fron of the crosshair.

A fix I found eventually is to disable "Distortions" in the graphics setting ... so when you use an invisibility ability, the frame completely disappears :)

Disablr "color correction" if playing Loki.

enjoy ... and PROFIT.

Ooh, interesting. I’ve turned off damage numbers, enemy healthbars, and Affinity numbers myself. I find it a weird psychological thing now when fighting; I’m no longer thinking about how high my numbers are, and instead am focusing on the Time To Kill, and work towards making that satisfying.

I’ll have to give this one a shot and see how it feels 👍 

edit: There’s still a really un-intrusive singular small healthbar for the current target at the top of the screen. At first I was like “I want that gone too!”, but now I find it a good reference to glance up to if something’s a little too crunchy

36 minutes ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

Ooh, interesting. I’ve turned off damage numbers, enemy healthbars, and Affinity numbers myself. I find it a weird psychological thing now when fighting; I’m no longer thinking about how high my numbers are, and instead am focusing on the Time To Kill, and work towards making that satisfying.

I did the same and completely agree. The game is way more enjoyable when you are fixating on inconsequential metrics mid-fight. A dead enemy is a dead enemy. I like to know the numbers behind the scenes but when playing the game this information is pretty immersion-breaking.

10 hours ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

I’ll have to give this one a shot and see how it feels 👍 

edit: There’s still a really un-intrusive singular small healthbar for the current target at the top of the screen. At first I was like “I want that gone too!”, but now I find it a good reference to glance up to if something’s a little too crunchy

I experimented a bit more.

In my opinion ( tho i already can hear the screams of many ) archwing speed should be reduced.

Or better ... I find it 100x times more enjoyable to go throught the environment in the slow+aiming mode.

The boost can still remain, and it actually can serve a purpose, but needs more "momentum" factor in the movement equation.

Plus, DE can take a hint from Subnautica Below zero and implement an " Highlight Accessibility ".

I envision it simply making the blurred outline reflect the color of the most outer "defense" a target has.

Yello for armor, Blue for shield and Red for flesh.

It would respond to the " Effects Strenght " slider for simplicity.

1 hour ago, Doraz_ said:

The boost can still remain, and it actually can serve a purpose, but needs more "momentum" factor in the movement equation.

Why? The Archwing system used to try and model momentum. It sucked ass and pretty much nobody liked it. That's why it was taken out. Warframe is not a flight sim. Simpler controls tend to work better overall.

12 hours ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

Ooh, interesting. I’ve turned off damage numbers, enemy healthbars, and Affinity numbers myself.

Disabling damage numbers drastically improves the experience overall, but it's not viable. This game lacks robust hit confirmation, making it nearly impossible to tell when you're actually damaging an otherwise invulnerable enemy. You outright require damage numbers for fighting Necramechs, the Profit-Taker Orb, Sargus Ruk and other such bosses, as they're the only way to tell you're actually hitting their weak points.

Just now, Steel_Rook said:

Disabling damage numbers drastically improves the experience overall, but it's not viable. This game lacks robust hit confirmation, making it nearly impossible to tell when you're actually damaging an otherwise invulnerable enemy. You outright require damage numbers for fighting Necramechs, the Profit-Taker Orb, Sargus Ruk and other such bosses, as they're the only way to tell you're actually hitting their weak points.

Viable till I come across situations like that, then I can turn it back on as needed 👍. Some kind of grey hit confirm (or something) when striking invulnerable would be nice, but most of my time I'm not fighting those types

1 minute ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

Viable till I come across situations like that, then I can turn it back on as needed 👍. Some kind of grey hit confirm (or something) when striking invulnerable would be nice, but most of my time I'm not fighting those types

Agreed. Personally, I feel a combination of visual confirmation and sound effect would be enough. Once again, Division 2 has a pretty good solution to this. Hitting invulnerable enemies produces a distinct sound and shows a transparent "shield" icon over the reticle on every hit. Something like that would be enough. Warframe already has a special sound effect for headshot hit confirmation over bodyshot. Having a version for invulnerable targets would be nice, as well.

1 hour ago, Steel_Rook said:

Why? The Archwing system used to try and model momentum. It sucked ass and pretty much nobody liked it. That's why it was taken out. Warframe is not a flight sim. Simpler controls tend to work better overall.

That's why i phrased it " movement EQUATION ".

I can take a crack at it in my spare time, but i truly believe that a simulated ( not physic based ! ) momentum ... that can be fought against by the player input without needing to interact with any physics simulation ... but still present, so to sell the " in space you require equal force to the initial one in the opposite direction "   ... that all of this must at least be proven WITHOUT a DOUBT to worsen the gameplay overall.

In addition ... we can assume that the current archwing already has this, as archwings keep flying in their direction of motion ... but currently it feels to me that we require too little effort at HIGH SPEEDS ( boost ) expecially to change our direction of motion.

On 2021-05-28 at 3:26 PM, Doraz_ said:

I can take a crack at it in my spare time, but i truly believe that a simulated ( not physic based ! ) momentum ... that can be fought against by the player input without needing to interact with any physics simulation ... but still present, so to sell the " in space you require equal force to the initial one in the opposite direction "   ... that all of this must at least be proven WITHOUT a DOUBT to worsen the gameplay overall.

A couple of points here. First of all, that's precisely what the game used to have. "Momentum" was emulated by baking into the various animation states, ostensibly as automatic throttle. For one thing, this was horribly unpleasant to work with. The player would drastically overshoot pretty much everything and took forever to stop. For another thing, it was janky. The system would only apply this momentum to some animation states but not others, and it would apply it relative to player facing. Thus, a player would take 200 meters to stop by thrusting backwards, but could still do a 180 at full speed while boosting. The only decent way to get any kind of "momentum" in this game is with a unified physics simulation similar to what Destiny has. Partial solutions are easily broken and tangibly unpleasant.

Secondly, WHY? This has been my central question from the start. Yes, it's space where things don't stop instantly when you let go of the throttle. That's easily solved with a visual which plays when the player stops moving (potentially only if previously moving over some speed threshold to minimise effects spam). That's it. Your Archwing snaps to a halt because it automatically decelerates for you. This isn't a space sim game. It's not a dogfighting game. Snappy, precise movement is what Warframe is known for, not turning radii, drifting and constantly shooting past your intended target. Leave that to GTA. Hell, the mere fact that Archwing Melee now has an auto-lock-on with a range of 100-200 meters ought to tell you all you need to know. You're supposed to be fighting the enemy, not your own controls.

And if you want to use momentum in space where you can rotate independent of your direction of motion - you can already approximate this in exactly the same way first-person and third-person games have been doing it for years. You turn around and hold sideways or backwards. The boost animation is still janky and doesn't let you aim your gun anywhere but forward, sure, but that can be fixed (using a Max Payne dive approach). I just don't see the point in introducing input delay into this game.

Archived