Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Valkyr [Minor Rework] Tweaks

(PSN)Drew_Something

So I've been going back to some of the Warframes and weapons I unlocked in my earlier days, to just play with and have fun, and Valkyr has started to creep up into favourites.  However, like many of the earlier Warframes, she kind of suffers from the newer game design/mechanics and power creep, so I have some suggestions that could make her better without a full-on rework.  For anyone who didn't catch the Tennocon stream, they said that they weren't or didn't want to just go around spending dev time reworking older frames that aren't really played by a large majority; but I think what I'm going to suggest could be feasible with little effort and would still make Valkyr overall better.

Passive: Her current passive is immunity to hard landings and 50% knockdown recovery which can stack with other recovery mods.  This is fine and plays into her cat motif but I think we can safely say, other than the hard landings immunity, that her passive becomes moot with Primed Sure Footed.  Because of this, I suggest keeping the hard landings immunity, add 50% stagger/knockdown immunity with the recovery, and remove her Hysterical Assault augment and just add it into her passive as is with the base/static 50m pounce.  I honestly don't understand why DE makes some augments that should just be in some Warframe's kits *cough* Grendel's Catapult *cough*.  With this, she actually has something when you used PSF and plus it just adds to her being a catgirl.

1 Ripline: This one is neither good nor bad, it just is; I only think a few things should change and be added.  First, make the range of 75m static and non-scalable, because let's be frank, builder for her other abilities completely gimps her 1s range.  Second, make it grab multiple enemies like how blade and whips do, and add a forced slash proc that scales with strength and the slash hit/explosion scale with range; nothing huge, just some utility.

2 Warcry: This is just good as is, though I can't tell if her armour buff is good or not cause I haven't done the calculations compared to other frames.  Also, it may just be me but her slow seems to only affect enemies that are near her when casted, if I'm right then I think the slow should be changed to an aura somewhat like the that one moas stasis field but only affect enemies, not bullets.  Other than that, I just personally think the scaling should be worked on a little bit.

3 Paralysis: This needs to be completely redone to an extent.  I think since Valkyr already has really low shields and since I personally subsume abilities for status immunity, this should give her something of the sort.  Destroying her shields still damages enemies but increase its range, damage and add a blind effect for cc.  Along with that, she no longer destroys 33% of her shields but 100% and gains status immunity for 10s, with .1s added for ever 1 point; she has 150 shields at max rank so if you destroy all 150 points then you'll ad 15s on top of the 10s for 25s.  DE can add an immunity time cap for when you destroy with overshields active but I'll let them figure that out.

4 Hysteria: The only ability that doesn't need to change, at all.

Talons: For the love of, FIX ALL EXALTED WEAPONS PLEASE!!!  And for her specifically, give her higher and forced slash procs, it doesn't make any sense that as a cat, her claws do jack.

Other than all of this, I just think she needs to be rebalanced, specifically all of her range because let's face it, no Valkyr player builds in range in fact we go for negative range; that's why I made her 1's range static other than the explosion part.  With that said, what do y'all think?  It's not a complete rework like changing her to be a full on berserker with a rage meter or anything, just some little changes here and there.  I like what I've thought of so if any of you also like it, let me know what you think and share; hopefully with enough effort we can get DE to make these changes.

Also, really last thing, someone please make a deluxe skin for her, it's so unfair Protea get's one before my Valkitty :'(

Alternatively:
Let 1 work like this (no momentum kill on self, when pulling enemy works like sevagoth shadow 1 where they are suck in melee of where you cast).
And 4 work like this (but with invul and the stored damage/hp drain increase cleansed with finishers/slowed with kills, you know fitting a berserker).

Rip line is neither good or bad?

it’s existence as a movement ability is rendered redundant by bullet jumping. And it fails as a gap closer for enemies as you fling them past you.

Valkyrs claws need a range buff. And a stance overhaul. It’s really weird seeing what’s supposed to be this frame going absolutely feral throwing out perfect kicks and the like between all the wild slashing.

The problem here is Valkyr is one of the frames who have fallen beyond the saving of minor tweaks to their existing kit and need major mechanical overhauls and/or completely new abilities to put them back on a usable level.

Like right now there is literally zero reason to ever use Valkyr because She can be feed to Helminth for Warcry to be put on anyone, and if you want to play a good version of Valkyr just play Sevagoth and use his 4 as much as possible. Minor tweaks are not going to put Valkyr above or even next to those 2 things.

it’s existence as a movement ability is rendered redundant by bullet jumping. And it fails as a gap closer for enemies as you fling them past you.

Valkyrs claws need a range buff. And a stance overhaul. It’s really weird seeing what’s supposed to be this frame going absolutely feral throwing out perfect kicks and the like between all the wild slashing.

The problem here is Valkyr is one of the frames who have fallen beyond the saving of minor tweaks to their existing kit and need major mechanical overhauls and/or completely new abilities to put them back on a usable level.

Like right now there is literally zero reason to ever use Valkyr because She can be feed to Helminth for Warcry to be put on anyone, and if you want to play a good version of Valkyr just play Sevagoth and use his 4 as much as possible. Minor tweaks are not going to put Valkyr above or even next to those 2 things.

5 hours ago, (XBOX)GearsMatrix301 said:

It was rendered redundant by how its physics works and its momentum kill. DE seems to have been subtly buffing its momentum control over the last few patches (got better momentum retention via block after melee 2.9998, recently it gained sprint momentum retention past its own momentum kill so that it actually yeets you a bit forward), all it now needs just reducing the momentum kill to a merely 66~75% reduction of momentum gained from start of self pull instead as far as the movement side of the skill goes.
On the enemy pull bit, it just needs the sevagoth hard collision wall as DE demonstrated they can do it without major bugs.

Just for a bit of a comparison note: same tile, same angle and hook location starting from the same box corner, modern ripline from same no prior momentum state stats losing her momentum just before the 2 metal railings before reaching the invis wall put there, while as seen prior she would keep accelerating upwards with full initial ripline speed till it was cast again/a combat action was taken; not much better, but for the state of mobility that warframe had vs now, the thought that till relatively recent tweaks (or bugfixes, who knows as such a old ability could have dry spaghetti) it was actually downgrading is just a fail.

Stance fix/unbutchering, certainly (and return of the chainclaw/2nd heavy attack as the default), range is actually ok (naturally assuming primed reach, that 4.7 vs 5.5 where the average lies is still good cleave with the amount of horizontals she performs). Claws bigger flaw lies in the nerfed rest of the skill.

Not doing anything unique interactions wise wouldnt matter if her gameloop was fun (as she technically has solid numbers with slide attack and with stance tweaks or plain exalted weapons getting aco mods, would have just flat out even with current stance multipliers decent damage values on her claws). Instead her 4 encourages a gameloop based on cowardice. Thats the far bigger issue than "put warcry on someone else".

20 hours ago, Andele3025 said:

Alternatively:
Let 1 work like this (no momentum kill on self, when pulling enemy works like sevagoth shadow 1 where they are suck in melee of where you cast).
And 4 work like this (but with invul and the stored damage/hp drain increase cleansed with finishers/slowed with kills, you know fitting a berserker).

YES, this ^!!!  This is exactly what I want her 1 to be like.  As for her 4 being like that, I cannot say as I have just kind of started NieR Automata but it definitely looks sick!

Also, I've been playing around with her 1 a lot to get a better judgement on the distance and now I don't think 75m is as good as I thought.  On paper it looks like a lot but in tilesets with more open space or the open world zones, I think 100m at base would be better and I change my mind on it not being scalable off of range, it should.  But I definitely want her Ripline's grapple and momentum to be like Titan Falls.

Other than that she still needs a range rework on everything.  Plus I also think DE should change her Swing Line augment to an aura polarity so it fits better with these changes.

25 minutes ago, (PSN)Drew_Something said:

Also, I've been playing around with her 1 a lot to get a better judgement on the distance and now I don't think 75m is as good as I thought.  On paper it looks like a lot but in tilesets with more open space or the open world zones, I think 100m at base would be better and I change my mind on it not being scalable off of range, it should.

DE could give it a base range of 210, it wouldnt change much in terms of practicality for how much it helps her move due to momentum kill, even if you combine a slide start and pre-release aimglide it still wont do a proper pull based on how much you initially sped up unless the engine is calcing out negative gravity/pulling yourself directly up. And the fixed initial pull time also means if you use it at too short range youd still get the old zephyr 1 problem.

(Tho IF upping range on it 100 would be good as 130-140 is about a comfy range for mission areas on OV and PoE which would still mean she isnt completely encouraged to dump range if going for general use, bit iffy tho about that as IMO modding should have tradeoffs if going for extremes).

Other than that she still needs a range rework on everything. 

Eh, 25m slow and buff range is good/perfectly solid baseline and paralysis doesnt need to be more than 8-10m radius since its a finisher opener so the enemy you wanna pop is likely already right there.

Plus I also think DE should change her Swing Line augment to an aura polarity so it fits better with these changes.

Rather than that, since ripline already has a build in cost reduction, Swing Line IMO should reset her aimglide and bullet jump each time ripline is used while giving +75% duration/0.45s to ripline combo timer while shifted to exilus.

On 2021-07-24 at 6:31 PM, Andele3025 said:

Rather than that, since ripline already has a build in cost reduction, Swing Line IMO should reset her aimglide and bullet jump each time ripline is used while giving +75% duration/0.45s to ripline combo timer while shifted to exilus.

I like that idea of the built in cost reduction, would be so much better and also after playing more with her Ripline I just noticed how it doesn't reset her maneuverability.  Also, meant to say exilus, don't know why I said aura.

Archived