Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Suggestion: Overguard should inherit the status weakness of the underlying health type.

schilds

If the enemy has as its top/outer health type:

• shields, you can apply magnetic to overguard.
  • armour, you can apply corrosive.
  • only raw health, you can apply viral.

DoTs (fire, slash, toxin) still work as usual.

38 minutes ago, schilds said:

armour, you can apply corrosive.

This makes it seem like Overguard would inherit the damage reduction of armour. AFAIK it doesn't do that currently.

But if you mean the health types, so the damage types (not procs per se) affect Overguard, that's a different story.

Just now, Tyreaus said:

This makes it seem like Overguard would inherit the damage reduction of armour. AFAIK it doesn't do that currently.

Sure, they would need to give it a fixed amount of DR and reduce the raw amount to keep ehp the same. It should be possible to choose numbers so that viral, corrosive and magnetic all work out the same.

I guess it would be even simpler to roughly halve overguard's ehp and prevent viral status along with magnetic and corrosive :-P. Nothing to calculate then.

2 minutes ago, Tyreaus said:

But if you mean the health types, so the damage types (not procs per se) affect Overguard, that's a different story.

I do mean the weakness to corrosive, viral and magnetic statuses, not the elemental/physical multipliers.

2 hours ago, schilds said:

I do mean the weakness to corrosive, viral and magnetic statuses, not the elemental/physical multipliers.

magnetic would be even more broken than viral because, magnetic has a chance to outright shut shields off. overguard does not regenerate. it would defeat the whole purpose of its existence.

Edit: i dont think adding this will effect the meta too much. magnetic and toxin are great on corpus but you still see people using viral. the kuva and tenet weapons are still breaking the laws of physics. my kuva nukor has Magnetic/Radiation/Viral/Heat.

34 minutes ago, EinheriarJudith said:

magnetic would be even more broken than viral because, magnetic has a chance to outright shut shields off. overguard does not regenerate. it would defeat the whole purpose of its existence.

They would just ignore magnetic's thing about shutting off regen on overguard, since it has none anyway.

It would just be a straight damage buff, along with corrosive, like viral currently is, and the numbers chosen so they're all equivalent. The only difference is which enemies you apply each to.

Overguard does not literally inherit anything from health, armour and shields unless DE code it that way, and there's not any particular reason to do so. When I say "inherit", I just mean the flavour. That means there doesn't necessarily even have to be any DR on overguard to make corrosive work. All of corrosive, viral and magnetic can use the same formula and adjust damage in the same way, when it comes to overguard. 

Damage resistance reduction and damage multiplication are pretty much the same thing on a health type you can't bypass. The key difference between viral and corrosive is that viral benefits slash while corrosive doesn't. That's due to how slash bypasses armour's DR alltogether. If it weren't for that, corrosive and viral would largely be redundant. 

The point is that regardless of the calculations going on under the hood, from the player's point of view, if they want to apply a status effect that gives a dmg buff against overguard, they will pick an element that matches their expectations: viral against raw health type enemies (i.e. infested), corrosive against armour types (i.e. corrupted and grineer) and magnetic against shield types (i.e. corpus). Sentients are meant to adapt, so maybe you have to switch things up in the middle of a fight :-P.

1 hour ago, Tiltskillet said:

I'm guessing they're contemplating something like this, and nerfing viral status and reducing Overguard hp.  But I guess wrong most of the time.

They buffed viral a little overmuch with the status rework :p.

7 minutes ago, schilds said:

It would just be a straight damage buff, along with corrosive, like viral currently is, and the numbers chosen so they're all equivalent. The only difference is which enemies you apply each to.

i see. making them damage amp like viral in their respective factions. that would definitely move it away from viral.

Edit: or atleast move viral away from being the main source of non frame power damage amp.

Edited my post while you were responding.  

4 minutes ago, EinheriarJudith said:

i see. making them damage amp like viral in their respective factions. that would definitely move it away from viral.

Exactly. If it wasn't for the ability of some damage types (slash/toxin) to bypass armour/shields, damage resistance reduction (corrosive) and damage amplification (viral) would be redundant. I doubt they have any intention to allow overguard to be bypassed entirely :-P.

2 minutes ago, schilds said:

Edited my post while you were responding.  

Exactly. If it wasn't for the ability for some damage types (slash/toxin) to bypass armour/shields, damage resistance reduction (corrosive) and damage amplification (viral) would be redundant.

ive been taking the neutral approach with corpus using Magnetic/Heat because toxin is bad on robots and corpus seem to have ALOT more robotic flesh in their faction now.

1 hour ago, Tiltskillet said:

I'm guessing they're contemplating something like this, and nerfing viral status and reducing Overguard hp.  But I guess wrong most of the time.

Throw some limited cc being allowed on that list :-P.

26 minutes ago, schilds said:

They buffed viral a little overmuch with the status rework :p.

Oh totally.  But if it wasn't clear, I'm not betting on a general viral status nerf, just one specific to eximus or Overguard.  If so, it will be interesting to see how they deal with eximus EHP.  Giving it faction weaknesses, maybe in simplified form, is a good start. 

edit:

Throw some limited cc being allowed on that list :-P.

That too.   But I was keeping it damage specific.

Cambion Drift specific enemies are particular nasty. They're viral immune, which means you can't even build up viral stacks. 

One of the reasons that enemy health/shields/armour starts scaling up fast is due to players learning how to apply status effects for significant bonuses to dps. Without status procs, overguard scaling should be significantly slower.

Alternatively make Overguard inherit the resistances of the armor/health type. IE a Lancer Eximus still takes bonus damage from corrosive. This way Overguard can simply function as just a chunk of health with CC immunity, but you can still chew through the health segment as normal instead of overguard just laughing at your element setup.

Archived