Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Weapons Should List Their Type

Rydian

There's quite a variety of gear in this game, and many things only work with some weapon types.  However weapons don't list what type they are in-game.  Players have to have a stance mod for a melee or rely on various other cues to guess a weapon's type.  While the arsenal does have a search box, the results can be misleading because the search counts ammo type and weapon descriptions for results.

This leads to various questions showing up in chat on a regular basis.

• "Why doesn't my Bronco take shotgun mods?"
  • "What type of stance do I need for an Obex?"
  • "Why isn't my sword stance showing up on the Galatine?"
  • "The Kuva Chakhurr isn't counting as a sniper rifle for the sortie, what gives?"

If gear showed its type/category in the arsenal, players would be better-informed.

CMwVLPE.png
MbowzqR.png
kzVQEUs.png
lP1bnkh.png
OMhLnuW.png
iAcILbG.png
lYUVrP4.png
H6EE76Y.png

People have been asking for this since "x weapon required" sortie conditions came out.  I've had people in squad insisting that they met the conditions for sniper only sorties because they had a semi-auto rifle equipped.  

It's already on the gigantic pile of features that people have been asking for over the course of years, that have all been ignored every single time they do a completely pointless UI overhaul.  They'll hide more info behind hover text while the whole community tells them that not only did we not ask for that, but we also don't like it, but they won't put basic stuff like this in the game.

I'm not saying don't throw your name in the hat with the rest of the people asking for it, but I am saying go ahead and get comfortable with the idea that DE isn't going to listen to you, unless you're asking them to nerf something.

57 minutes ago, Rydian said:

If gear showed its type/category in the arsenal, players would be better-informed.

Yes but it will be more cramped. I prefer simple Name + maybe rank (as it is now). This kind of information should be available elsewhere. For example in searching for weapon type (e.g. type:riffle).

ps. if it was "turn on/off" then it would be ok

Typing it in search usually works, but having way to filter weapon types from a drop-down in the arsenal screen would be enough, and would be more obvious than making a guess that typing in search somehow works. And since this only really matters when it comes to Sorties, just the basic assault-rifle/shotgun/bow/sniper categories would be enough. That would be the cleanest way to do it that I can think of.

Maybe if that was implemented, the Sortie screen could give you an option to go to your arsenal with that filter pre-selected if you don't have one equipped already.

7 hours ago, (XBOX)TehChubbyDugan said:

I've had people in squad insisting that they met the conditions for sniper only sorties because they had a semi-auto rifle equipped. 

Side note

I really think those should be merged with 'Sniper' class weapons or vice-versa....

we really don't have the range/gameplay in Warframe for a real sniper experience

and then you get stuff like my Vulkar Wraith outclassing the semi-auto 'marksman' rifles at the medium ranges they supposedly have a niche for....

too much overlap

2 hours ago, (PSN)haphazardlynamed said:

Side note

I really think those should be merged with 'Sniper' class weapons or vice-versa....

we really don't have the range/gameplay in Warframe for a real sniper experience

and then you get stuff like my Vulkar Wraith outclassing the semi-auto 'marksman' rifles at the medium ranges they supposedly have a niche for....

too much overlap

Overlap because they're literally just rifles, the only difference is they have a "combo counter". Nothing else really distinguishes them asides from that scope, and there is at least one non-sniper with a scope (Buzlok)

15 hours ago, Pakaku said:

Overlap because they're literally just rifles, the only difference is they have a "combo counter". Nothing else really distinguishes them asides from that scope, and there is at least one non-sniper with a scope (Buzlok)

All the semi-auto rifles need to have a combo counter, as well as other mechanical buffs like a decent amount of innate punchthrough, just to even begin to make them competitive.  You could put a stupid amount of non-direct DPS buffs on them and they would still barely even touch old meta weapons like the Amprex, much less the plethora of newer weapons.

And I'm not for an AOE nerf until this isn't a hoard shooter anymore.

1 hour ago, (XBOX)TehChubbyDugan said:

All the semi-auto rifles need to have a combo counter, as well as other mechanical buffs like a decent amount of innate punchthrough, just to even begin to make them competitive.  You could put a stupid amount of non-direct DPS buffs on them and they would still barely even touch old meta weapons like the Amprex, much less the plethora of newer weapons.

And I'm not for an AOE nerf until this isn't a hoard shooter anymore.

I mean, the Phenmor is new and has a pretty solid and competitive semi-auto mode. Natural power-creep in action. And I've modded plenty of semi-autos to be very solid in the single-target category. Punchthrough is really underrated, but sometimes I don't have the modding space.

And if you want my opinion on AoE, it does need at least an indirect nerf, since it got an indirect buff with self-damage being removed. We could go over all sorts of ways to nerf it smartly (because AoE is still a legitimate weapon type) but that's getting more off topic

• 3 months later...

Archived