Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So about the melee nerf...

Traumtulpe

1 minute ago, TheLexiConArtist said:

could you not also get better outcome from the crit multiplier than the crit chance, assuming an equal proportional stat gain?

If you are stacking stats, you're usually considering Rivens and such. Generally speaking, if you have a mod that adds, say, 100% rate of fire, adding a duplicate would increase your damage by 50%.

You get more crit per mod than you would get rate of fire, so lets say you have a 200% crit mod and consider adding a Riven with also 200% crit. If your weapon has 35% crit base, you'd go from 105% to 175%. A higher crit tier only nets (crit multiplier-1) bonus damage, which ends up being around 50% as well. However, if your crit multiplier is higher, the -1 is less significant (relatively), resulting in the same 200% crit mod being a 66% damage increase at 6x crit multi.

So, if you have to stack something what do you chose? 1 rate of fire mod + 1 Arcane means you are deep into diminishing returns, reloads lose you DPS and you suck against DPS caps. Nothing can even come close to the new multishot mods. Base damage sucks because of weapon Arcanes. Elemental damage has no effect on bleeds (usually the most important part of your damage).

The answer is both crit, and crit damage. Unless you are using a weapon with bad crit stats to begin with, but why would you do that?

4 minutes ago, Traumtulpe said:

You get more crit per mod than you would get rate of fire, so lets say you have a 200% crit mod and consider adding a Riven with also 200% crit. If your weapon has 35% crit base, you'd go from 105% to 175%. A higher crit tier only nets (crit multiplier-1) bonus damage, which ends up being around 50% as well. However, if your crit multiplier is higher, the -1 is less significant (relatively), resulting in the same 200% crit mod being a 66% damage increase at 6x crit multi.

This is roughly the part I was getting at. It's been a while since I dusted off the old spreadsheet, so I may have exaggerated the difference (which I had thought more drastic) but remembered that the net proportional gain of Chance could only ever be approached in the net proportional gain of the damage that resulted, based on the Multi as mentioned, making it strictly sublinear albeit not necessarily to a significant degree.

Relative to the proportional gain of raw damage, multishot, and critDamage, it's weaker as those would be strictly linear in the basic sense.

Fire rate does have a similar variable net gain based on the reloading quotient, but I didn't say crit chance was the weakest stat, just weak(er) compared to the other typical main focuses.

1 minute ago, TheLexiConArtist said:

Relative to the proportional gain of raw damage, multishot, and critDamage, it's weaker as those would be strictly linear in the basic sense.

Well, in practice multishot and base damage are out (your value from Galvanized multishot is far too high to add any more, base damage from the weapon Arcane is far too high as well). Crit chance is at the very least a good option, and only gets better with more crit multi.

Lets try a real world example: A Kuva Chakkhurr. 50% crit chance and a 2.3x multi. 150% and 5.06x after normal crit mods. Or 709% damage.

If we add a duplicate crit chance mod: 250% / 5.06x, or 1115% damage. +57% damage.

If we add a duplicate crit damage mod: 150% / 7.82x, or 1123% damage. +58% damage.

If we add both: 250% / 7.82x, or 1805% damage. +155% damage. Whereas 100x1.57x1.58 is only +148% damage. We got 7% damage for free (from synergy to be precise).

So, like I said, crit is good, crit damage is good, both together are better.

4 hours ago, Uhkretor said:

... New players are supposed to repeat previously completed missions in order to get the mods that aren't dropped by enemies from the intended planetary range of, you know... new players...

Repeating? I am running them for the first time. We're talking Earth and Venus here. 😁

My point was, that melee is much more powerful than my guns as of now. MUCH more. Guns are all but worthless.

13 minutes ago, WT240 said:

Repeating? I am running them for the first time. We're talking Earth and Venus here. 😁

My point was, that melee is much more powerful than my guns as of now. MUCH more. Guns are all but worthless.

Didn't say otherwise. Power difference is supposed to be a trade-off due to the range "loss".

... and yes, repeating. Though you're doing them the first time, you'll have to repeat missions to get some of the mods for your equipment, Melee included. You can consider this as a "tutorial tip" of sorts.

vor 17 Minuten schrieb WT240:

old topic. and as so often said, later it will be completely different.
mele can also get top damage in stats later, but it will only be overkill damage.
aoe weapons usually have at least twice as many kills.

what you are missing now are mods, endo and formas. and! useful weapon. because you won't get far with lato or mk1-braton.
I even pimped mk1-braton very heavily and it does terrible damage even against lvl 60 enemies.
By the way, verglas top is a sentinel weapon in case you have some platinum left over later.

but you are mr3. by mr9 you most likely have gear for end-content.

Archived