Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Rainbow Builds Of Warframe Similar To Star Trek Online?

__Kanade__

So now that the term "Rainbow Build" has been coined on Warframe, it got me thinking about the procs that will be coming with Armor 2.0 and how it might be similar to Star Trek Onlines rainbow builds.

For those not familiar with Star Trek Online. Rainbow Builds are considered the worst build type for any star ship, especially if you have a science ship which only offers 6 weapon slots ( 3 fore, 3 aft ) and using a rainbow build i.e one Phaser, Anti-Proton, Tetryon, Disruptor, Polaron, Plasma and any phased type beam bank would kill your buid because each weapon only has a 2.5% to activate the proc.

The effects on certain weapon types won't stack during it's proc like Phasers which have a chance to take 1 of 4 systems of an enemy ship offline for 5 seconds. But you still have a higher chance to keep a ships system(s) offline if you have a full phaser build of 6 or 8 instead of having just one phaser weapon type. So your ship along with the right Tactical consoles will be much stronger if you have a specific weapon type.

Is this how the new system is going to work for Warframe? I was still getting confused when Scott was trying to explain it, but if it's anything like Star Trek Online's weapon system, then it makes sense, have the same elemental damage types on your weapon will make it stronger instead of using the standard HellFire, Wildfire, Cryo Rounds, and Harbinger.

Honestly, I never liked the "Rainbow Builds". Perhaps I'm just not into the "making the ultimate pwnzor build" thing (and this is likely to be the case), but it made much more sense to me to use just one or two elemental mods (armor piercing was and still is kind of mandatory to me) rather than just cram mods just so your gun would spew damage uncontrollably. Then again, I'm not one of those players who strives for some crazy Defense/Survival record, so my judgement probably makes sense up to a certain point, beyond the which the Rainbow Build logic makes more sense.

I assume what is said in the OP makes sense though. Having weapons that can do everything is nice, but a specialized gun will be far better at the kind of task it's catered towards than any jack-of-all-trades.

Basically you have to pick and choose elements now, because of the combination effects (i.e.: Fire+Ice = Blast damage or something).

Not sure what they're doing with procs anymore. A long time ago they said crits would proc elemental effects in 2.0... Don't know if that still stands or not.

not the same, because you can't use 6 hellfire mod on 1 rilfe but u can have 6 Phaser on 1 science ship

and if i can use 6 hellfire mod on 1 rilfe means i can use same mods on 1 weapon why i don't use all Serration with 1 AP mod in game?

it just make things more unbalance

Edited by Cary2010haha

So now that the term "Rainbow Build" has been coined on Warframe, it got me thinking about the procs that will be coming with Armor 2.0 and how it might be similar to Star Trek Onlines rainbow builds.

For those not familiar with Star Trek Online. Rainbow Builds are considered the worst build type for any star ship, especially if you have a science ship which only offers 6 weapon slots ( 3 fore, 3 aft ) and using a rainbow build i.e one Phaser, Anti-Proton, Tetryon, Disruptor, Polaron, Plasma and any phased type beam bank would kill your buid because each weapon only has a 2.5% to activate the proc.

The effects on certain weapon types won't stack during it's proc like Phasers which have a chance to take 1 of 4 systems of an enemy ship offline for 5 seconds. But you still have a higher chance to keep a ships system(s) offline if you have a full phaser build of 6 or 8 instead of having just one phaser weapon type. So your ship along with the right Tactical consoles will be much stronger if you have a specific weapon type.

Is this how the new system is going to work for Warframe? I was still getting confused when Scott was trying to explain it, but if it's anything like Star Trek Online's weapon system, then it makes sense, have the same elemental damage types on your weapon will make it stronger instead of using the standard HellFire, Wildfire, Cryo Rounds, and Harbinger.

Its more in terms of scaling damage.

You're not simply amplfiying your damage you're adding an entirely new level of damage with the current structure.

You see serration should be the overal damage mod on your weapon with an elemental flare. BUt the elemental flare is EASIER To level up. Now people can still have 'rainbow' builds. But they'll generate different effects at a lower damage output compared to CURRENT levels. It'll still be significantly increased damage. And these effects will be very useful but it wont be the same as what you have currently.

To take an example.

Lets use the Soma as a comparision. Right now its like an M-16 with a beta mag on it with no cooling issues. Anyone who knows a damned thing about guns knows that an M16 in this setup is one NASTY piece of work. And if you hammer the cooling issues sustained fire becomes a nightmare for anyone on the other end of the barrel.

At the moment with rainbow builds You're getting general purpose effect work hitting him with all elements you get one that does significant damage one that does normal and one that does reduced but it still amplifies your base damage.

Now say after the update you take your Soma and you equip it with Fire+ice which gives you something called 'blast' There are a couple of things you can assume by the name. 1 AOE damage. (possiblity of friendly fire?) 2. Force and Impact. This would transform your Reliable Soma/M-16 into something more like an automatic grenade launcher. (They really do exist look them up) Now in STO you dont have this combo effect or scaling procs. (Not that i like calling it STar Trek online because what was Star Trek about that game got thrown out ages ago. Different topic for another day.)

What they're going to do that's different is not PENALIZE you for going with multiple elements. But instead of making the effect isolated, they're going to do what SHOULD happen when you throw two elements of different types at each other. Create something new and potentially more powerful.

If you're going for raw and pure DPS you'll want single element with AP and probably a high serration mod with corrupted and nightmare mods.

If you want something neat and still SOLID dps. These combo elements sound like the way to go.

rainbow builds, skittle boats, etc from eve online, sto, warframe etc are pretty common in games that provide choice of dmg types.

Games like sto and the likes tho tend to mention or show exact math or % chances for secondary effects, theres a lot in warframe thats hidden or unknown, even the wiki lacking any concrete information, a prime example of that being stun mods only affecting weapons with innate stun.  Where exactly do you find ingame if a weapon has stun chance and if so what % it is?

yeah :(

imho multiple damage types should be more than elec/fire/cold/ap with each currently having their own upside etc, and some like cold having 2 major useful effects, i think that fitting certain combinations of dmg types should alter the dmg type into a new form.

IE: atm adding fire and cold, and you get a slowed target taking double dmg to shields with a chance to panic on fire and take more dmg if the targets infested.

Personally i think adding fire and cold in this example should not provide a stacked cocktail of all those elements but provide a new fused element which provides a different debuff/effect.

a quick bad example would be.

Cold + Fire = new "Explosive" element, targets no longer get set on fire/slowed etc but cause shots fired to provide small explosions to nearby targets which cause 100% stagger and very minor dmg.  (just a quick example.)

Im sure some smart person could think of many "new" elemental recepies which would convert dmg/effects from all mixed elemental dmg mods fitted into just 1 "new" dmg type, so no matter what elements you add there is only ever 1 effect produced instead of many, the fun part would be finding what each mix does and if it suits your needs.

not the same, because you can't use 6 hellfire mod on 1 rilfe but u can have 6 Phaser on 1 science ship

and if i can use 6 hellfire mod on 1 rilfe means i can use same mods on 1 weapon why i don't use all Serration with 1 AP mod in game?

it just make things more unbalance

It's something similar if DE is going to go through with a proc based on crit % instead of proc based on % chance like in sto, so high crit weapons like the Soma and Grakata and the crit god Synaspe would heavily benefit from a crit based proc.

But then they'res also the problem with weapons with very low crit chance and DE figuring out how they will make elemental mods work for those weapons, but I don't really know if this is still their plan or not.

They talk more about armor scaling than they do about how the elemental stuff is going to work.

Edited by __Kanade__

As a STO closed beta member i can safely say that the official name over there is (or used to be) "Disco Build". Because we were able to bind a color-change key to the same key that fired all the energy weapons.

I am using disco build instead of rainbow build now. I am glad though as the rainbow builds are leaving, as I am preparing by finding new builds.