Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mismatching Operator Metallic Channels.... Again

This isn't a skill issue. I can find what works together and make it work.

Spoiler

Ul2pQMM.png

But WHY, WHY is it that the Lining Color channel on Loneryder, Harrier, Kubrodon Ventkid, and Outrider are for one of their nonmetallic color channels!?

DE I love your game, and I love and appreciate pretty much all of your operator outfits for what they bring to the table. What's killing me, is that these four don't mesh with the other ~19 outfits that have their only (or one out of their 2) metallic channel on the Lining layer.

Spoiler

Z2zIDim.png

Look at that. 3 different metallic colors across the 4 pieces. It's kinda garish :/ lots of mismatching there, with Outrider's metallic being determined by Secondary, Loneryder and Harrier being determined by Primary (and Secondary for Harrier), while everything else that has a metallic pulls from Lining like Koppra does there.

There's ~20 other outfits that can all play nicely together because their metallic channels will be the same color, and the metallic color won't be elsewhere in a non-metallic texture. Outrider basically matches nothing, Harrier and Bishamo both have dual-metallics but they only share one of them, which is one that Loneryder can match, and of course Voidshell can be made to match practically anything. But that's still a very very very short list of more easily compatible outfit pieces for Loneryder, Harrier, Kubrodon Ventkid, and Outrider to be compatible with.

Spoiler

YfUB3Ca.png

It looks okay, but switch almost any of these pieces for almost any other Operator outfit set's pieces and it looks really off :/ and I'm already cheating by making things blend with more desaturated colors like black and blue-grey.

PLEASE DE. Please, switch a few of the channel hookups around. I dunno if other times I brought it up you think I'm asking for you to change the actual outfit material textures or something, I'm literally just asking for the Lining menu item to map to and change the color of one of the metallic materials of the outfits.

Harrier: Swap the current Primary (ideally) or Secondary material channel with the Lining Color.

Kubrodon: Swap the current Primary with Lining

Loneryder: Primary with Lining

Outrider: Secondary with Lining

And if the original lining doesn't make sense, please feel free to shuffle primary/secondary/tertiary around until it does.

It'd be great if this was done, as we'd then have ~25 outfits that you can more easily mix and match together, instead of the current separate group of ~20 and group of ~5 whose metallics only play well within their own groups of options.

On the Drifter side, it's literally only the Grineer outfit lacking any metallic texture (sans Waistband Gear) and only the Loneryder failing to match the other 9 non-Grineer/Voidshell outfits' metallic materials being mapped to the Lining color.

Last thing on a similar note, for the outfits that do have multiple metallic channels, can they also get on the same page with where their two channels are? Ideally Lining and Tertiary consistently? Or Secondary?

I would be even more happy fashion-framing if these mismatches weren't a problem >.<

Bonus: my current main operator look

Spoiler

n8DO07u.png

But rest assured, if these changes were made I'll have extremely strong competition for new aesthetic combinations using Harrier and Loneryder (and Feldune), which I just adore.

Spoiler

nY8NiCC.png

Edited by Grav_Starstrider
missing words
  • Like 4

Others have noticed and spoken out about this request before as well.

People have been complaining about this inconsistency in various categories in the game since 2018

It just

keeps happening.

over and over again

By so many of us. It'd be great to have some intern just bust out identification of current metallic channels on everything we can color-customize in the game so that it could be made consistent. Or at least *more* consistent than it currently is.

Oh hey I got pinged.
Yeah this is an issue across the entirety of the game. it's especially frustrating with operators, but warframe attachments have this issue too. Even sometimes within items of the same set like how prisma Daedalus' accents are metallic on the arms and legs but not on the chest???

And some modular stuff has materials in the same color channels that take colors totally differently which makes it really difficult to make some of them look the way you want. Particularly moas which is extra wierd cus they're the one thing you wouldn't expect that to happen with.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

ALSO annoying is the fact that we only have 3 configs to choose from for Operator or Drifter appearances respectively. Or ONE for the Kaithe, come to think of it. What's the point in having all of these customizations if you only get to show off a few looks out of the dozens available? Or in having all of these customizations only for a SELECT FEW to completely break the established norms of color channel materials?

For goodness sake, the OPERATOR TRANSFERENCE ROOM and QUARTERS STILL have a PAINTJOB for the Tertiary channel instead of a METALLIC like the REST of the Orbiter enjoys!!! Why is that the Tertiary instead of the Accent channel anyways?

On 2023-05-08 at 5:38 AM, PollexMessier said:

Even sometimes within items of the same set like how prisma Daedalus' accents are metallic on the arms and legs but not on the chest???

Okay that's odd but at least the detail is small enough to predominantly overlook the inconsistency in material.

On 2023-05-08 at 5:38 AM, PollexMessier said:

warframe attachments have this issue too

Metallics assignments I identified that aren't just in Accents channel:

Spoiler

Aesopex - Secondary, Tertiary, Accents
Avia - Secondary, Tertiary, Accents
Avia Solstice - Tertiary, Accents
Ceramica - Tertiary, Accents
Cirrus - Tertiary, Accents
Elexis Latron - Primary, Secondary
Eos Prime - Primary, Secondary, Tertiary, Accents
Galvanik - Secondary, Accents
Gazal - Primary, Accents
Glissanda Prime - Secondary, Accents
Harkonar Wraith - Primary, Secondary, Accents(?)
Hexis - Primary, Accents
Hulta - Primary
Iridos - Secondary, Accents
Ki'teer Foros - Tertiary, Accents
Ki'teer Greth- Tertiary, Accents
Kukri Prime - Secondary, Accents
Kuva - Tertiary
Lokan - Tertiary, Accents
Maggor - Tertiary
Mortus - Secondary, Tertiary, Accents
Pakal - Secondary, Accents
Porta - Tertiary, Accents
Porta DotD - Primary
Prisma Avia - Primary, Secondary, Tertiary
Prisma Daedelus - Primary, Secondary, Accents
Prisma Edo - Secondary
Prisma Latron - Primary, Secondary
Prisma Naberus - Primary, Secondary, Tertiary
Protosimid - Tertiary
Protovyre (+ Apex + Emergent) - Secondary, Accents
Quaro - Primary, Secondary, Tertiary
Ransha Prime - Secondary, Tertiary, Accents
Shi - Primary, Tertiary, Accents
Solaris - Tertiary
Solstice Daedalus - Tertiary, Accents
Tannukai - Tertiary
Tennocon ('18, '19, '21, '22) - Tertiary
Vetala (+ Prime) - Secondary, Tertiary, Accents

Plus our honorable mentions of Loneryder, Harrier, Kubrodon Ventkid, and Outrider on the Operator side of things, having metallics not on the Lining channel.

Like..... Look at how random some of these metallics are spread across? For singular metallics, you have 9 assigned on Tertiary alone, 2 on Primary alone, and 1 on Secondary alone. Those are an EASY IMMEDIATE FIX. Just flip their hookups and color channels for their current metallic channel, with the Accent channel! Boom, you have 12 more attachments whose color/texture mismatches with other attachments don't make you want to gouge your eyes out.

Like. For all that is holy, WHY is it that the Tennocon sets fail to match metallics channels with the Dex Raksaka or majority of Prime attachments? That one might bug me the most out of all metallic mismatchings, right up there with Loneryder, Harrier, and Outrider not metallics-matching the majority of other Operator outfits.

And of course that doesn't begin to touch on the inconsistency of double or triple metallic-channel-possessing attachments not even consistently using the same formats. 9 of the 18 double-metallic channels already use Tertiary and Accents, actually, so just flipping the other 9 to match would go a long ways towards making more attachments match each other.

And the triple-metallics are just a matter of choosing which channel isn't metallic, so can we please just choose Primary, since the overwhelming majority of sub-3-metallic-channel things have a non-metallic Primary channel?

As a general rule, making it go from greatest non-metallic surface area to least nonmetallic, to least nonmetallic coverage to greatest metallic coverage, with minimal artistic deviations from this pattern, would make so many more sets go together more nicely. I'm dying to match the Tennocon, Hexis, Gazal, and Pakal, and the Loneryder Harrier Operator outfits, with other available options.

At this point the easiest fix I see for this is to just make separate customization for every piece.

That has already been done with syandanas, I see no major problems in getting that approach to its logical conclusion.

23 hours ago, ant99999 said:

At this point the easiest fix I see for this is to just make separate customization for every piece.

That has already been done with syandanas, I see no major problems in getting that approach to its logical conclusion.

As much as I desire to see them grant us at least 3 Kaithe color slots, and 3 bonus purchaseable slots on Operator and Drifter, and I think they should be done, for consistency's sake to match Warframes' customizations, I can very easily see how it'd be potentially prohibitively expensive to store 4 more color channels per Warframe appearance config owned by every player. Some streamers get meme-gifted 100s of the same Warframes, so unless "default/none" is a shortcut (hopefully is) that saves them more server space, as much as I think it'd improve the player experience, I'm not sure that that's an option DE would pursue.

However.... Often one chooses similar attachments on purpose anyways, maybe DE could add a simple binary toggle switch on each attachment that designates whether each attachment is utilizing color-set 1 or 2, so that there's still a majority of consistency between the color selections for a given Warframe and it only adds one set of 5 color selections per each config instead of 4 more sets? Maybe that's a good compromise?

On 2023-05-24 at 8:39 AM, ant99999 said:

I feel like I've also already given a fairly comprehensive cheat sheet guide for DE to merely... Swap which buttons hook up to which color channels on the identified outfits, here below again

Spoiler
On 2023-05-18 at 10:23 AM, Grav_Starstrider said:

Aesopex - Secondary, Tertiary, Accents
Avia - Secondary, Tertiary, Accents
Avia Solstice - Tertiary, Accents
Ceramica - Tertiary, Accents
Cirrus - Tertiary, Accents
Elexis Latron - Primary, Secondary
Eos Prime - Primary, Secondary, Tertiary, Accents
Galvanik - Secondary, Accents
Gazal - Primary, Accents
Glissanda Prime - Secondary, Accents
Harkonar Wraith - Primary, Secondary, Accents(?)
Hexis - Primary, Accents
Hulta - Primary
Iridos - Secondary, Accents
Ki'teer Foros - Tertiary, Accents
Ki'teer Greth- Tertiary, Accents
Kukri Prime - Secondary, Accents
Kuva - Tertiary
Lokan - Tertiary, Accents
Maggor - Tertiary
Mortus - Secondary, Tertiary, Accents
Pakal - Secondary, Accents
Porta - Tertiary, Accents
Porta DotD - Primary
Prisma Avia - Primary, Secondary, Tertiary
Prisma Daedelus - Primary, Secondary, Accents
Prisma Edo - Secondary
Prisma Latron - Primary, Secondary
Prisma Naberus - Primary, Secondary, Tertiary
Protosimid - Tertiary
Protovyre (+ Apex + Emergent) - Secondary, Accents
Quaro - Primary, Secondary, Tertiary
Ransha Prime - Secondary, Tertiary, Accents
Shi - Primary, Tertiary, Accents
Solaris - Tertiary
Solstice Daedalus - Tertiary, Accents
Tannukai - Tertiary
Tennocon ('18, '19, '21, '22) - Tertiary
Vetala (+ Prime) - Secondary, Tertiary, Accents

Plus our honorable mentions of Loneryder, Harrier, Kubrodon Ventkid, and Outrider on the Operator side of things, having metallics not on the Lining channel.

On 2023-05-01 at 7:48 PM, Grav_Starstrider said:

PLEASE DE. Please, switch a few of the channel hookups around. I dunno if other times I brought it up you think I'm asking for you to change the actual outfit material textures or something, I'm literally just asking for the Lining menu item to map to and change the color of one of the metallic materials of the outfits.

Harrier: Swap the current Primary (ideally) or Secondary material channel with the Lining Color.

Kubrodon: Swap the current Primary with Lining

Loneryder: Primary with Lining

Outrider: Secondary with Lining

And if the original lining doesn't make sense, please feel free to shuffle primary/secondary/tertiary around until it does.

If they don't have an even easier way internally identifying which materials are on which channel of each item and which color-channel-button it's mapped to, they can literally just reference this list and hop the channels around, I imagine one intern could do that in one afternoon's work, and would fix the overwhelming majority of this issue.

Non-metallic -> ------ <- Metallic
Primary -> -------- <- Accent/Lining

Would require no additional storage server space at all to do this, and then instead of having to manually color each attachment or operator outfit piece, most outfits would just take the colors correctly/similarly instead of mismatchingly.

• 5 weeks later...

Why again, DE?

Why are you making all of these "Lining" Channels flat colors that clash with so many other outfits? The 19 other outfits that have metallic channels have them on the "Lining" channel, please swap the UI assignment for these 5's current Lining Channels with the channel for their outfit that actually has metallics in them. I don't want to be stuck using Harrier, Orizu, and Loneryder together nearly exclusively, in order to have the same color be metallic across the whole outfit, instead of garishly flat-colored and present as a metallic.

M8wHzRG.png

UMxLQUk.png

MdZ0hXs.png

2ObXsrJ.png

J1JcJ3f.png

Edited by Grav_Starstrider
order