Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Where are the assault saws?

The ghoulsaw, an interesting, yet underpowered weapon. When it was added, many people were underwhelmed by its preformance, while others said to wait for better variants of the ghoulsaw. 

One and a half years later, and there are still no other assault saws in sight, whether that be a ghoulsaw variant or a new assault saw entirely. In the meantime, the 2 handed nikana has been getting lots of love, getting several additions with time, while the ghoulsaw still sits by itself. With the addition of the dual nikanas and heavy scythe weapon types, the idea that some of these more recent weapon types will get little to no variants is something to be concerned about.  

So let me say once more, where are the assault saws?

48 minutes ago, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

The ghoulsaw, an interesting, yet underpowered weapon. When it was added, many people were underwhelmed by its preformance, while others said to wait for better variants of the ghoulsaw.

Ghoulsaw has not only problem with performance (e.g. power) but other things as well. On other hand melee types like Heavy scythe is proper melee. It may be boring but it moves when you want it. New heavy scythe adds new (*cough*) mechanic so it will make much more people enjoy it.

52 minutes ago, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

So let me say once more, where are the assault saws?

I guess they would have to fix some stuffs about this melee type before introducing another melee.

well, there's a few issues with that melee class as a whole...

firstly, who even fights with saws? putting chainsaw-wielding horror villains aside, it's probably one of the least practical weapons you can wield in a melee, and the only people crazy enough to use them are the grineer: even then, despite the term "Assault Saw" - which sounds like something a wildly anti-gun person would say about a hand Saw - they really don't look like they're designed for combat at all.

secondly, the stance: it sucks. the only way I could see it work s if they treat it a bit like Chainsaw weapons from Shadow Warrior 2, where you hit the enemy, then they actually hold the enemy in place and cut into them, dealing constant damage, sort of like how beam weapons work now. then once the attack ends, you can melee again. if you miss the target for any reason, the saw just swings as normal, and it only "catches" on a living opponent. this would allow for massively increased damage at the cost of being single target, which I think would be a neat role for the Saw, as more of an anti-boss melee than just another for clearing trash mobs.

thirdly, heavy attack should allow for infinite travelling with the sawblade: it's one of the main reasons people wanted the Ghoulsaw in the first place. 

also, we still only have one stance for Rapiers, Nunchaku and Blade & Whip weapons, and Dark Split-Sword still isn't a unique weapon that morphs duringcombos.. now that we finally have Sun and Moon that's my priority as far as asking for new Melees.

45 minutes ago, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

well, there's a few issues with that melee class as a whole...

firstly, who even fights with saws? putting chainsaw-wielding horror villains aside, it's probably one of the least practical weapons you can wield in a melee, and the only people crazy enough to use them are the grineer: even then, despite the term "Assault Saw" - which sounds like something a wildly anti-gun person would say about a hand Saw - they really don't look like they're designed for combat at all.

secondly, the stance: it sucks. the only way I could see it work s if they treat it a bit like Chainsaw weapons from Shadow Warrior 2, where you hit the enemy, then they actually hold the enemy in place and cut into them, dealing constant damage, sort of like how beam weapons work now. then once the attack ends, you can melee again. if you miss the target for any reason, the saw just swings as normal, and it only "catches" on a living opponent. this would allow for massively increased damage at the cost of being single target, which I think would be a neat role for the Saw, as more of an anti-boss melee than just another for clearing trash mobs.

thirdly, heavy attack should allow for infinite travelling with the sawblade: it's one of the main reasons people wanted the Ghoulsaw in the first place. 

also, we still only have one stance for Rapiers, Nunchaku and Blade & Whip weapons, and Dark Split-Sword still isn't a unique weapon that morphs duringcombos.. now that we finally have Sun and Moon that's my priority as far as asking for new Melees.

Assault saw rework should have it so when you hold light melee and a direction, you hold the saw in front of you and run forever. Letting go does the swing motion. 
Also, assault saws can fill a niche of "slash proc heavy melee" with a stance that faciliates that by letting you run around doing damage in front of you like a goober. 

53 minutes ago, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

Tenno are stupidly strong, and they live in a world where katanas cut through armor like it's butter, so they would theoretically use assault saws for the melee + utility benefits since their technology would allow the saws to basically cut through anything in a single blow.

Similar logic would apply to Kuva Liches for example (which begs the question on why there are no ghoulsaw variants), and I could totally see a situation where the Orokin want a big saw that does the equivalent of 100 slash attacks per second. 

Alternatively, a Corpus energy saw would be even more practical, since it could use similar tech to the tenet livia, making a weapon that could instantly pierce heavy duty Warframe armor (or sentient/grineer armor) and shred the insides.

4 minutes ago, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

Tenno are stupidly strong, and they live in a world where katanas cut through armor like it's butter, so they would theoretically use assault saws for the melee + utility benefits since their technology would allow the saws to basically cut through anything in a single blow.

Similar logic would apply to Kuva Liches for example (which begs the question on why there are no ghoulsaw variants), and I could totally see a situation where the Orokin want a big saw that does the equivalent of 100 slash attacks per second. 

Alternatively, a Corpus energy saw would be even more practical, since it could use similar tech to the tenet livia, making a weapon that could instantly pierce heavy duty Warframe armor (or sentient/grineer armor) and shred the insides.

Corpus energy-assault saw doing puncture damage would be super interesting, and on theme.

I feel like the ghoulsaw was just a fun thing DE threw in for the laughs, not meant as a serious arsenal weapon, and they just gave it a stance because melee need one.

Probably the best saw weapon is actually the Ripkas, and I wouldn't mind seeing more in that style - dual wielded saws, essentially.

I'll +1 the run-at-the-enemy-with-it type of stance lol, but also flinging it around in a spinning arc/circle of rotating teeth seems like it would be pretty effective instead of the Shining hack n slash stance currently in place.

I'll +1 energy assault saws too, could be cool.

4 minutes ago, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

... In fairness, the Tenno canonically fight with literal sticks in the Bo. And sharpened metal sticks since that's functionally what swords are. So 'practical' is probably not really what you're going with.

For reference I am aware of the long and storied history of the effectiveness of hitting people with sticks, I am just equally aware of the much shorter, but equally storied history of the reality that gun > stick.

I'm hoping for GHOULSAW Incarnon genesis thingy. Upgrade options would include unlimited saw riding during while in Incarnon form, and magnetic flying sawblades

GHOULSAW has a headshot stat in the Profile menu, like the gunblades and thrown Glaives and other melees with ranged options. GHOULSAW magnetic flying sawblades when?

18 hours ago, (XBOX)CaligulaTwily said:

I'm hoping for GHOULSAW Incarnon genesis thingy. Upgrade options would include unlimited saw riding during while in Incarnon form, and magnetic flying sawblades

GHOULSAW has a headshot stat in the Profile menu, like the gunblades and thrown Glaives and other melees with ranged options. GHOULSAW magnetic flying sawblades when?

An assault saw that can launch the blades on heavy attack like a cross between the miter and tenet agendus would be very cool! Especially with that 1.0 follow through!

38 minutes ago, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

An assault saw that can launch the blades on heavy attack like a cross between the miter and tenet agendus would be very cool! Especially with that 1.0 follow through!

Panthera prime but melee, and the heavy attack is firing the saw which bounces. 

Archived