Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I can't help but feel like Starfield's style of procedural locations would fit right in in Warframe.

This shouldn't require too much explanation: De does it with interiors, so why not exteriors too? Simply have the procedural stuff start once you go beyond the hand crafted region. Add a few things to do out there like missive/bounty  boards and a few roaming NPCs to get little missions from and you'd be set. Proper Warframe style open map. Would also give me a reason to open zones again. 

Ah yes, we too can have a thousand empty planets with maybe a few crafted assets reused multiple time if we are lucky.

Not just no, #*!% no.

Absolutely no one, especially DE, should try to emulate Bethesda. Bethesda's only role in life is to give modders something to fix and provide an example of how to never develop a game, let alone basic systems like menus etc.

i had been hoping that the 'Caves' on Earth Landscape would have been like some sort of bottomless Dungeon type of thing. just happened to be what came to mind when they announced that they'd be adding Caves to the Landscape. why did i think of that? idunno.
that didn't end up happening, but something like that could be neat... that being said, we do have some types of 'bottomless Dungeon' sort of Content in the game anyways, thesedays.

if we were to have more of that - i mean i guess uh, being visually themed as the surface of a Planet, or as the inside of an impossibly shaped Spacecraft, or some sort of isolated Base on a Planet or otherwise - it doesn't super matter what it is, so if we were to have an 'endless Dungeon' that was themed as the surface of a Planet, well, alright i guess, that could work. i'd have to see if it does work, but it could.

53 minutes ago, taiiat said:

i had been hoping that the 'Caves' on Earth Landscape would have been like some sort of bottomless Dungeon type of thing. just happened to be what came to mind when they announced that they'd be adding Caves to the Landscape. why did i think of that? idunno.

I believe that was the original plan. I remember Steve talking about it, so perhaps it was scrapped. We kind of got it in Deimos, however. And of course Soulframe is going to have this system, but I don't think it counts.

15 hours ago, L3512 said:

Ah yes, we too can have a thousand empty planets with maybe a few crafted assets reused multiple time if we are lucky.

Not just no, #*!% no.

Absolutely no one, especially DE, should try to emulate Bethesda. Bethesda's only role in life is to give modders something to fix and provide an example of how to never develop a game, let alone basic systems like menus etc.

And yet they have some of the most influential, most played, and awarded games ever. Fallout 4's release made unheard of money in a very short period of time. It might not be the genre for you, but you would be objectively wrong to say that it's not a succesful formula. 

My question for you is this: Why are you okay with missions being procedural and not open areas? What's the big differnce? 

5 hours ago, (XBOX)Architect Prime said:

And yet they have some of the most influential, most played, and awarded games ever. Fallout 4's release made unheard of money in a very short period of time. It might not be the genre for you, but you would be objectively wrong to say that it's not a succesful formula. 

Elden Ring sold almost the same amount of copies in two weeks as Fallout 4 did in it's entire life, FIFA makes twice the amount of money in micro-transactions per year than Fallout4 ever made. Bethesda's greatest claim to fame is Skyrim, a twelve year old game that they have re-released something like 16 times since launch.

A successful formula? Their idea of an RPG is to railroad players with no choice or consequent of actions. Fallout 4 has four answers to an NPC quest giver, yes, yes, sarcastic yes and yes but later.

It's very low effort game development and is only ever saved by modders, which they do despite the way Bethesda has tried to shaft them since shortly after the release of Skyrim. You know why they were able to fix a heap of Starfield's jank on day one? Because it uses the same twenty year old engine that came out with Morrowind. This is most likely why the game is like 50% loading screens.

6 hours ago, (XBOX)Architect Prime said:

My question for you is this: Why are you okay with missions being procedural and not open areas? What's the big differnce? 

Content? Missions provide a frame work to complete objectives and shoot enemies.

No offence to DE, but the older open worlds don't look super great and even if they did, humans can only take so much spectacle before it becomes mundane.

What would more open world provide? You mention NPC's for quests but they would be the same quests we have now, Warframe is not a cover based shooter, we do not interact with the environment.

On 2023-10-04 at 3:12 AM, L3512 said:
On 2023-10-03 at 8:34 PM, (XBOX)Architect Prime said:

Content? Missions provide a frame work to complete objectives and shoot enemies.

No offence to DE, but the older open worlds don't look super great and even if they did, humans can only take so much spectacle before it becomes mundane.

What would more open world provide? You mention NPC's for quests but they would be the same quests we have now, Warframe is not a cover based shooter, we do not interact with the environment.

On 2023-10-03 at 5:15 AM, L3512 said:

We have similar with less planets and probably more work.

I think Warframe's level generator can't do proper outdoor area.

My observations:

• All tiles are connected by small doors.
  • There is always only 1 door between any 2 connected tiles.
  • There is no loop.

It would be weird if an outdoor area is not a connected graph(see Graph Theory).

13 hours ago, S2Weak said:

I think Warframe's level generator can't do proper outdoor area.

My observations:

• All tiles are connected by small doors.
  • There is always only 1 door between any 2 connected tiles.
  • There is no loop.

It would be weird if an outdoor area is not a connected graph(see Graph Theory).

It's true that that coding the coding the procedural generation would be annoying to create as a framework. 

Archived