Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

DirectX 12 Crashing [Investigating]

[DE]Megan

From the patch notes for Hotfix 35.0.4:

for the time being, we are temporarily disabling DirectX 12 for AMD Graphics Cards with RDNA2 architecture or lower. This is done to ensure affected users can have a stable Warframe experience over the holidays until we can find a permanent solution. 

FYI: This was a significant performance regression for me. My setup is a Linux system running Proton with a Nvidia graphics card. By default Proton reports graphics cards as AMD, since this tends to get better results. But that forced me into DX11 with this hotfix.

Since the Kullervo update earlier this year, DX11's performance has been poor. Specifically, it acts as if there's a memory leak, although it may instead be related to compiling the shaders for DX11. I'm not quite sure. The end result is that on launch Warframe uses twice as much physical memory as when configured to run with DX12. And over time it grows until my computer starts swapping to disk. This not only hurts the performance of the game, but also makes other applications such as VOIP and wiki terrible.

This post on ProtonDB provided the information needed to workaround / fix the issue: https://www.protondb.com/app/230410#zbKusfL9PY. Specifically, the following settings which make Proton tell Warframe that it's Nivida / DX12 capable, thereby re-enabling the option in the launcher. I have no idea yet whether there are any other side effects.

VKD3D_FEATURE_LEVEL=12_0 PROTON_ENABLE_NVAPI=1 %command%

Hope this helps.

Best of luck with the debugging.

• Like 1

This hasn't resolved for me. Last weekend, had issues on Saturday, sunday was fine.

Played last night with no issues.

Just tried to log in and wham, Network no responding.....

Running a 3070. I am set to use DX11

I am on an i9

I shutdown the router, shutdown the modem, disconnected the cable coax and waited 10 min.

reconnected everything, started back up

NETWORK NOT RESPONDING

said ok, lets go wham, and I uninstalled AV

rebooted

NETWORK NOT RESPONDING

Plugged the computer directly into the modem

rebooted

NETWORK NOT RESPONDING

Speed test show 1.2GB

I think I have pretty much ruled out things here....

reinstalled AV and really wondering WTH is going on

please note

I am on an nVidia card

I am running with DX11

I don't even get INTO the game, on the LOG IN screen this happens

and this is STILL an issue....

Edited by Fruit_Brute

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, [DE]Megan said:

We are seeing AMD/DX12 stability post-Hotfix 35.0.7!

We kindly ask that you manually reenable DX12 and let us know if you experience the crashes.

Thank you for sticking with us and providing reports as we dig/monitor. 

I was the one crashing all the time, i reenabled DX12 and did not have single crash for about 10hours of play so looking very good ;) 

5950X and 6900XT smooth as silk ;) good job

On 2023-12-24 at 3:04 PM, Annarasumanaru said:

Is there any way to force launch Warframe with DX12? I have huge optimization issues on DX11 and the game is simply unplayable. With DX12 I had zero problems, everything was great, but eventually it disappeared from launcher, sad.

uh late but
if the Launcher doesn't let you pick Dx12 anymore, this suggests you have serious issues with your computer. on top of you having issues with Dx11 games in general.

the most likely thing then is that your Operating System is partially corrupted in several ways, or just in general your Software stack is broken. wiping your Boot Drive and installing a fresh Operating System will probably fix everything.

and if you had previously done any sort of "tweaks" to your Operating System to "optimize it for optimal performance", don't do any of that stuff in the future, 99% of that 'information' on the Internet is false and just breaks your Computer.

nevermind, memory lapse

Edited by taiiat

В 24.12.2023 в 23:04, Annarasumanaru сказал:

Is there any way to force launch Warframe with DX12? I have huge optimization issues on DX11 and the game is simply unplayable. With DX12 I had zero problems, everything was great, but eventually it disappeared from launcher, sad.

DE intentionally disabled DX12 for AMD cards back then as one parameter for DX12 caused regular, reproducible crashes. 

They re-enabled ability to launch DX12 for AMD cards that Tuesday as they patched down issue and released fix. 

• Like 1

В 10.01.2024 в 18:17, [DE]Megan сказал:

We are seeing AMD/DX12 stability post-Hotfix 35.0.7!

We kindly ask that you manually reenable DX12 and let us know if you experience the crashes.

Thank you, Megan. I was one who did big part of the testing to localize issue to specific parameter in settings. Re-enabled DX12 at moment of patch. Had not encountered issues which happened at WitW release since that patch.

Well, except part that on DX12 shader caching is quite annoying and causes very noticeable stuttering when it happens for first time on every shader. I know that DX11 has less performance, but at least it processes most shaders on first load (basically every new zone, frame, action, enemy, effect, etc.). Is there something that can be done to reduce shader caching stutters frequency for DX12? For example precache them similar to how DX11 processes them. 

(Well maybe another one is graphical bug. Certain red flags at Steel Fortress on Earth are not actually rendering atm. I know they should be there, and sound is still here, but since some update i cannot see them). 

Hello, fellow Tennos and Dear Megan,

The following report is for helping other Tennos who was facing the same problem.

I was a PSN Member, MR L3, more than 2k hours played and I recently built a PC Gamer and, for lucky, I was playing on the last cross-save window, last december, and I could enable it and now I play Warframe on PC.

My PC configuration is pretty good, which means I can play every single game I wanted (or 99,99% of them) on higher quality possible, with AMD Graphics Card (RX 7600). However, before Hotfix 35.0.7, I was facing periodical crashes during my gameplay, sending me to the Warframe's crash page. Sometimes I played for hours with no crash, long runs, new Boss fight, all graphics setup on High. Other times I played the same missions with 2 or more crashs. Even when I was modding a weapon or simply decorating my Orbiter, the crash was there to surprise me.

I made a deep search about my problem and it seemed to be related to AMD GPUs. (Point: This made me crazy because I don't have all the money in the world and in Brazil the periferics from a PC are very expensive, so I was thinking "how will I buy a new NVIDIA GPU? Maybe I can sell my little brother, no one will miss him...) I was playing on DX11. I tried everything I found, like change to DX12, set graphics to medium, disabled GPU particles, disabled MSI afterburner, verified and optimazed cache on Launcher, and every single tip that someone in the internet gave me.

NOTHING WORKED!

But then the Hotfix 35.0.7 has come to us! I changed to DX12, all settings are on HIGH and I am playing for TWO DAYS WITH NO CRASH. However, I realized a little lost of performance (about ~20FPS less on DX12 than on DX11). Since the problem was solve on DX12, I didn't tried to play on DX11 again.

Is there anything that we can do to improve the performance on DX12 without messing with the graphics setup?

For now, that is it. Thank you for the hotfix.

6 hours ago, DimkaTsv said:

DE intentionally disabled DX12 for AMD cards back then as one parameter for DX12 caused regular, reproducible crashes. 
They re-enabled ability to launch DX12 for AMD cards that Tuesday as they patched down issue and released fix. 

oh, i totally forgot that happened, how silly of me. 🤦‍♀️

5 часов назад, Resmini сказал:

I made a deep search about my problem and it seemed to be related to AMD GPUs. (Point: This made me crazy because I don't have all the money in the world and in Brazil the periferics from a PC are very expensive, so I was thinking "how will I buy a new NVIDIA GPU? Maybe I can sell my little brother, no one will miss him...) I was playing on DX11. I tried everything I found, like change to DX12, set graphics to medium, disabled GPU particles, disabled MSI afterburner, verified and optimazed cache on Launcher, and every single tip that someone in the internet gave me.

But then the Hotfix 35.0.7 has come to us! I changed to DX12, all settings are on HIGH and I am playing for TWO DAYS WITH NO CRASH. However, I realized a little lost of performance (about ~20FPS less on DX12 than on DX11). Since the problem was solve on DX12, I didn't tried to play on DX11 again.

Now that is weird. I played DX11 when DX12 was disabled. Except ones that happened due to my own "negligence" (aka i am in progress of testing of OC parameters), i had no reproducible crashes on both 6750XT and 7800XT. Meaning that if you had issues with DX11 there were most likely NOT related to card being from AMD. 

AMD related issue was specifically "Reproducible frequent crashing on DX12, when Enchanced Shaders parameter is enabled. Can happen more frequently in new tileset"

Edited by DimkaTsv

22 hours ago, DimkaTsv said:

Now that is weird. I played DX11 when DX12 was disabled. Except ones that happened due to my own "negligence" (aka i am in progress of testing of OC parameters), i had no reproducible crashes on both 6750XT and 7800XT. Meaning that if you had issues with DX11 there were most likely NOT related to card being from AMD. 

AMD related issue was specifically "Reproducible frequent crashing on DX12, when Enchanced Shaders parameter is enabled. Can happen more frequently in new tileset"

Yes, weird.

But like I said, I didn't try to play on DX11 after the hotfix. I'm playing on DX12 with no problem at all (at least for now...).

But I'll try back on DX11 next week. I nedd at least 3 or 4 days of testing.

Btw, what could be if you say that probably it is not related to AMD GPU while I can play any games without any crash?

1 час назад, Resmini сказал:

Btw, what could be if you say that probably it is not related to AMD GPU while I can play any games without any crash?

Not sure, actually. There are a lot of possibilities. But EE.log right at moment of crash may have cleared up picture a bit. 
Maybe stock OC is wonky for you, and Warframe is very sensitive to unstable OC's (hence why i use it for testing). 

Maybe you ran at some combination of location/settings that is broken for DX11, but i never do that content, for example. 

Edited by DimkaTsv

16 hours ago, DimkaTsv said:

Not sure, actually. There are a lot of possibilities. But EE.log right at moment of crash may have cleared up picture a bit. 

What should I lookinf for on EE.log?

10 часов назад, Resmini сказал:

What should I lookinf for on EE.log?

When it crashes just go to latest lines. There will be error specified. It is not necessarily that you will always see what you expect though. 

Atm DE have debugging through DRED Breadcrumb mode enabled, so it will give slightly more information than usual.
For example one of my crashes due to too low voltage when undervolting GPU. [Again, this one is my own fault. Do not look too deep, it has no relationship to topic itself]. 0x887A0005 (or DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG) error is most frequent one when you do OC or UV.

l5d3q36.png

17 hours ago, DimkaTsv said:

When it crashes just go to latest lines. There will be error specified. It is not necessarily that you will always see what you expect though. 

Atm DE have debugging through DRED Breadcrumb mode enabled, so it will give slightly more information than usual.
For example one of my crashes due to too low voltage when undervolting GPU. [Again, this one is my own fault. Do not look too deep, it has no relationship to topic itself]. 0x887A0005 (or DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG) error is most frequent one when you do OC or UV.

l5d3q36.png

And how can I get the log? If I have a crash, i re-open the launcher and get Log, after that check the EE.Log?

So, I back to DX11 and it is crashing. I opened EE.Log and I found the same error as yours @DimkaTsv. You said something about OC and UV. I did both on my CPU. Is that anything we can do? Is this error because OC?

For some reason I can't past the screenshot, so, here's the log:

8383.282 Gfx [Error]: Dx11TextureMgr::Present() failed, hr = 0x887A0005
8383.282 Gfx [Error]: Present failed; device removed: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG
8383.282 Error [Info]: LogBug: (DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG)
8383.374 Sys [Info]: WM_DISPLAYCHANGE, driver reset queued:0

8398.823 Gfx [Warning]: Present() budget overrun (14525 ms)
8398.823 Gfx [Warning]: ResetDriver called on: Dx11Driver
8398.829 Gfx [Info]: Dx11 Driver Failure
8398.915 Sys [Info]: Texture streaming NORMAL -> DISABLED [Heap: 1,149,191,008/1,934,491,648 Footprint: 12,459,085,824 Handles: 1,986]
8398.917 Sys [Info]: Initiating fast shutdown

Is anyone know what to do?

Warframe is the only game I am facing something like that.

Edited by Resmini

3 часа назад, Resmini сказал:

So, I back to DX11 and it is crashing. I opened EE.Log and I found the same error as yours @DimkaTsv. You said something about OC and UV. I did both on my CPU. Is that anything we can do? Is this error because OC?

Hm... Let's go into DM's for now, so we won't litter all over unrelated topic. 

• 2 weeks later...