Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

DirectX 12 Crashing [Investigating]

[DE]Megan

1/10/2024 Update:

Just now, [DE]Megan said:

We are seeing AMD/DX12 stability post-Hotfix 35.0.7!

We kindly ask that you manually reenable DX12 and let us know if you experience the crashes.

Thank you for sticking with us and providing reports as we dig/monitor. 

--------------------------------------

Hello Tenno!

Quick PSA to broadcast that the team is actively investigating a crash related to running Warframe on DirectX 12 on an AMD Graphics Card.

From what we can tell, this impacts RDNA 2 and older GPUs; Radeon RX 7000 series do not seem to be effected.

If you have experienced this crash, the current workaround is to switch back to DirectX 11 in the launcher for now.

We will update this thread once we have found a solution and what the next steps are.

Thank you!

DirectX11.png

Edited by [DE]Megan
1/10/2024 Update
  • Like 9

il y a 30 minutes, [DE]Megan a dit :

Hello Tenno!

Quick PSA to broadcast that the team is actively investigating a crash related to running Warframe on DirectX 12 on an AMD Graphics Card.

From what we can tell, this impacts RDNA 2 and older GPUs; Radeon RX 7000 series do not seem to be effected.

If you have experienced this crash, the current workaround is to switch back to DirectX 11 in the launcher for now.

We will update this thread once we have found a solution and what the next steps are.

Thank you!

DirectX11.png

Thank you, I thought it was linked to that. I crashed 6 times yesterday with the last crash killing my GPu driver and disconnecting the GPU (rx 6700xt).

Went back to DX11 and nothing happened since. I've opened a support ticket with my logs, let's hope it gets resolved quickly ! 

And no, it's not related at all to the Network Issue, those are separated problems most likely coming from Cross Save deployment.

Edited by Maryph

Oddly I had the opposite issue :

I was using DX11 on my RX 7900 XTX (latest drivers/Win 11), I had 2 crashes in the same exact area with the beginning of the new quest in Deimos when I was walking down the stairs into the known room with a "transforming" event.

Switching to DX12 resolved this issue for me.

Radeon 23.12.1 Driver
DX11 API
BIOS and drivers Chipset, sound, LAN, etc. all up to date!!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
MB: ASUS Prime B350-Plus
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR4 3200Mhz 32GB CAS 16 (4x8GB)
Video: PowerColor Radeon RX 7600 Fighter
Sound: Realtek ALC887
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB (System Drive)
SSD: Samsung 870 EVO 1TB (Game Drive)
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (Storage)
DVD Burner: ASUS DRW-24B1ST
Power supply: Antac 750 watt HCG
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912
Case Fans: Cougar Vortex PWM 120mm x5
Speakers: Kanto YU
Monitor: ViewSonic VX2757-mhd
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2494HM
Headset: Sennheiser Game One
Mouse: Logitech G502 SE Hero
Mouse Pad: Logitech G440
Keyboard: Ducky One 2 RGB with CherryMX Silver

I've been back playing for about a month and I have had ZERO issues until the big update with Whispers. It keeps crashing my display drivers. Having no other issues with the system or games crashing...rock solid until now. Other then the crashing the game runs fantastic with display settings maxed out.

44 minutes ago, Meatsikle said:

Radeon 23.12.1 Driver
DX11 API
BIOS and drivers Chipset, sound, LAN, etc. all up to date!!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
MB: ASUS Prime B350-Plus
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR4 3200Mhz 32GB CAS 16 (4x8GB)
Video: PowerColor Radeon RX 7600 Fighter
Sound: Realtek ALC887
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB (System Drive)
SSD: Samsung 870 EVO 1TB (Game Drive)
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (Storage)
DVD Burner: ASUS DRW-24B1ST
Power supply: Antac 750 watt HCG
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912
Case Fans: Cougar Vortex PWM 120mm x5
Speakers: Kanto YU
Monitor: ViewSonic VX2757-mhd
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2494HM
Headset: Sennheiser Game One
Mouse: Logitech G502 SE Hero
Mouse Pad: Logitech G440
Keyboard: Ducky One 2 RGB with CherryMX Silver

I've been back playing for about a month and I have had ZERO issues until the big update with Whispers. It keeps crashing my display drivers. Having no other issues with the system or games crashing...rock solid until now. Other then the crashing the game runs fantastic with display settings maxed out.

Maybe try DX12 in the meantime, it worked for me.

6900XT, 23.12.1 drivers, win11.

DX12 - crashes. DX11 - crashes a bit less (and gives A LOT more fps with the same settings... wuut?!), settings: volumetric stuff of all kinds - reduction of it decreased crashes (but still crashes).

So far - new tileset (OFC I want some new stuff) alchemy crashes A LOT, mirror defence just a bit less, assassination almost never crashes and extermination works OK.

Seems there are some relation to a number of effects at once, probably elemental effects, last time game crashed when toxic alchemy bottle/grenade hit an enemy and made THE EFFECT. Seems like elemental heavy melee also caused more crashes, and summonable defence towers. During the quest defence - killed with melee (gram) - crashed, stopped and took ignis, gathered tokens to summon towers - crashed, ok - ignored them too, so finished it after 3 or 4 crashes by staying and power-burning everything.

If you want to help debug you might try disabling GPU particles for a while to see we can rule them out as a suspect:

The only downside is you might hit some other unrelated crash and you won't be able to know from the WAR-number - but since this is our most common crash *by far* if it helps it should probably be obvious.

Scratch that -- we found a bunch of reports with them disabled so that rules out GPU particles as a suspect

Edited by [DE]Glen
  • Like 3

37 минут назад, T-362 сказал:

DX12 - crashes. DX11 - crashes a bit less (and gives A LOT more fps with the same settings... wuut?!), settings: volumetric stuff of all kinds - reduction of it decreased crashes (but still crashes).

Strange. DX11 should not crash from my experience (at least not on RDNA2). Are you sure you don't have too low voltage at medium frequencies (around 2300-2400 mHz usually), or your OC is not too high? 

Also, there are two ways game can crash.

- First way, game freezes and quits with error to send to DE staff. If game crashes like that - that's what people currently look into

- Second way, EVERYTHING freezes then goes black screen and GPU resets with driver crash report. This one should not happen frequently, and mostly will be tied to OC/UV or game itself / AMD driver (with less probability). But with such crash you have higher chance to potentially see reason in EE.log file

I will try to run DX12 with different settings now. Lighting is potential issue? Because in some tiles of new tileset on DX11 light is flickering while you are in bullet jump.

Attempt 1. Reduce everything to minimum. 

17 минут назад, DimkaTsv сказал:

- First way, game freezes and quits with error to send to DE staff. If game crashes like that - that's what people currently look into

Exactly this type. Voltage should be OK - Im using stock values there without any customization or overclocking.

3 часа назад, T-362 сказал:

Exactly this type. Voltage should be OK - Im using stock values there without any customization or overclocking.

Oh, ok then. Just unexpected, as most people have issues with DX12... Only ones who said that they had crashes on DX11 and switching to DX12 helped them are owners of RX 7000 GPU's, besides you, so i assumed other reasons as potential cause. 

Yes, stock values should be fine, in theory at least. But way it crashes for you already doesn't show HW or driver instability. 

----------------

UPD: DX12 all graphics settings to minimum. Ran 1 Alchemy and 3 mirror defence missions without crashes. Looks fine (except, well... graphics. Lighting to be specifically.)

Attempt 2: Will try now setting everything BASE graphics contain to max. Otherwise it would take FOREVER to filter stuff one by one. (Only issue will appear if it is conflicting parameters and not singular one that causes crashes.). Aka: Geometric quality - high, Shadow quality - high, Texture quality - high, Particle quality - high, GPU particle quality - monstruous, TAA 8x + sharpen 20% with increased sharpness of temporary visual effects set on, Anisotropic filtering - 8x, Trilinear filtering - on. 

Everything from advanced graphical settings will be turned off for now. 

---------------------------

My system:

Motherboard - Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX

CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor

GPU - AMD RX 6750XT AORUS ELITE running at PCI-E 4.0x16

RAM - Kingston Fury Renegade 3600 16-20-20 (OC to 3800 16-21-19 - TESTED)

PSU - Deepcool PQ850M

Primary drive - NVME, Game drive - NVME, both running at PCI-E 3.0x4

-----------------

-----------------

UPD: Ran 3 mirror defence (2 1 1 rounds) - fine. But there is absolutely horrible lighting  Floor can go from too bright to too dark for location within few degrees camera angle inside same room.

Attempt 3 - This time high normal settings, dynamic lighting - on, volumetric lighting- on, local reflections - on, shading quality - high, volumetric fog quality - high. Everything else still will be disabled. 

3 more mirror defences to go. Still hadn't gotten Corvex part)

-----------------

UPD: Ran 3 more mirror defences, no crashes. Need to look further. Oh, hey, i finally got Corvex part from mission!. 

Attempt 4 - Turning elemental effects - on, color correction - on, contact shadows - on, character shadows - on, solar shadows - on,  improved stickers - on.

Only disabled settings for now are [high quality shade - off, motion blur - off, depth of field - off, distortions - off, shine - off, grain - off, glow - off]

Now lighting looks correct. Seems something tied to shadows. 

----------------

UPD: Ran 3 more mirror defences, no crashes (1-1-2 waves). Looks like issue is in last batch of settings? Shaders? shine? glow? 

Attempt 5 - Turning high quality shade - on, shine - on, glow - on (intensity - 25). Other parameters still off. 

Entry door of mirror defence on new tileset (one directly in front after loading from hub) have flickering light for some reason - consistent. 

Edited by DimkaTsv
Update
  • Like 1

2 часа назад, DimkaTsv сказал:

Attempt 5 - Turning high quality shade - on, shine - on, glow - on (intensity - 25). Other parameters still off. 

Looks like its "high quality shade", did alchemy with all 3 mentioned settings off - OK, enabled it and crashed around the second wave. Will check with shade off and shine+glow on.

29 минут назад, T-362 сказал:

Looks like its "high quality shade", did alchemy with all 3 mentioned settings off - OK, enabled it and crashed around the second wave. Will check with shade off and shine+glow on.

Interesting, because i somehow managed to clear 2 mirror defences in a row right now. one on 2 waves and second on 1 wave. Usually it was about 80% crash within first wave fiesta. 

Which will probably mean that amount of runs for my tests was lacking. I am so tired already, though. Too many runs in a row. 

It also may be interaction with environment shade quality - medium / volumetric fog quality - medium and high quality shade - on. Because now for test purposes i have them set to high, while my default was medium. 

But if anything, i don't disable settings i enabled through previous attempts, so they have significantly smaller chance to be unstable ones as number of runs increased multplicatively for each attempt

------------

UPD: LOL, just edited that previous paragraph in during mission and i finally got my crash on third run. Issue localized to one of these 3 settings - confirmed. 

Yeah, high quality shaders caused issue from time to time in MANY games. So seems reasonable to assume it is probably this parameter specifically. Because glow and shine should be quite simple parameters. 

Last crash report: WAR-3865471

I guess i will stop here. Should be enough information. And i will go to sleep)

Edited by DimkaTsv
Update - crash localized
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, LePrebsi said:

I can also confirm.

Disabling the graphic setting 'High Shader Quality' in Options -> Video, solved the constant crashing issue when playing in Dx12.

My GPU is an Intel Arc A770.

Is that even worth it at this point : / Btw, how did you turn it off? I have the same card, and the game crashes right after I login and I get into the ship on dx12 

Radeon RX 6600.
HDR, DX12, High Shader Quality - all on and game looks remarkably pretty.
Getting constant crashes only on the new tileset :(

Also lighting flickers and changes drastically depending on character pov.

Edited by Anobash

It crashes me constantly in dx11 as well.

Volumetric Fog - OFF doesn't fix it.

High Quality Shaders - OFF does not fix it.

WAR-3868723 - Doing Netracell, Volumetric fog - OFF, High-Quality Shader - OFF. DX11.

It's getting to the point I legitimately cannot do virtually anything in this game no matter what I try to do.

Edited by Vermillion-Code

I have been having a crash to desktop error since I started the "Eye's and Ear's" mission but the crash for myself seems to only be with this mission and this mission alone. I can play every other part of Warframe with out issue using the DirectX 12 setting which is interesting.

I use an all AMD PC:

Ryzen 3600

Radeon RX 5600XT Adrenalin driver version 23.12.1

Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite motherboard bios version F65e

AMD chip set driver version 5.08.02.027

Hope this information helps.

Edited by NETHOR-ORLEX

I'm using DX12 and since turning off High Quality Shaders I have not had any driver-related issues across any WITW missions.

When HQS was on, I had severe graphical glitches followed shortly by a driver restart and game crash at a pretty high rate, maybe like 20-40% of missions, including the quest.

---

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 19045) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor

Radeon RX Vega 64

DX12

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CatboyPrincess said:

I'm using DX12 and since turning off High Quality Shaders I have not had any driver-related issues across any WITW missions.

When HQS was on, I had severe graphical glitches followed shortly by a driver restart and game crash at a pretty high rate, maybe like 20-40% of missions, including the quest.

---

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 19045) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor

Radeon RX Vega 64

DX12

I took your advice and turned off the High quality shaders setting while still running in DX12 mode and it fixed the crash issues in the eye's and ear's mission. Thanks for the information CatboyPrincess now hopefully [DE] can fix this bug soon.

• Like 1