Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Lore help required.

ReverseMogami

I'm leaning to the Man in the wall essentially being the void or abyss itself.

That whole "stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back" gives the idea of why there are supposedly doppelgangers that seem to speak for the characters themselves and the void itself.  

The deal of getting the powers in the void.  The void powers themselves seem to be both everything and nothing on their own.  The operator/drifter themselves are a being now both physical and metaphysical. With and without form.  Much like the man in the wall. 

My only theory could be that the pivotal year of 1999 is a reference to the first recorded instance of humanity interacting with the void.  Thus the form an interest the void takes is based on that initial experiment. Thus the players' role will be preventing (or more likely altering) that experiment in order to calm the void. 

This would likely also pull inspiration from the concept of the warp from Warhammer 40K and/or the "idea of evil" from Berserk as well.  Human emotions and souls heavily effecting the indifference. 

On 2023-12-27 at 5:44 PM, TARINunit9 said:

The fact I brought up Butch's katana means I know exactly what you are trying to say. And I'm saying, no. I'm pretty sure that's NOT going to happen to us; it's going to happen to The Man in the Wall instead 

If you did you wouldnt add to the metaphor. No one mentioned the rest of the scene, just the specific part with Marsellus, Maynard and Zed. Not what happens before and not what happens after (Butch showing up), just what happens to Marsellus in that very moment of brotherly love. You also seem sure that I was serious regarding it actually happening in WF, like... how?

5 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

Because this is a serious lore discussion thread. All posts are assumed serious if the "/s" tag isn't present

A post starting with "I can see it now", being based on a sexual reference and includes "*wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*" and is ended with a banana and a donut emote, and you manage to actually take it as serious? Thanks for the good chuckle man!

2 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

That's how metaphors work, using a silly reference to explain a serious topic, or vice versa

Mmm and clearly someone referencing that specific incident is serious, because obviously DE would introduce that which rhymes with therapists into the story? Like uh? Wut?

3 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

Mmm and clearly someone referencing that specific incident is serious, because obviously DE would introduce that which rhymes with therapists into the story? Like uh? Wut?

Your metaphor translates to "we are screwed" wherein the word "screwed" is a euphemism, not literal. And yet you seem to be taking your own metaphor much more literally than I am

21 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

Your metaphor translates to "we are screwed" wherein the word "screwed" is a euphemism, not literal. And yet you seem to be taking your own metaphor much more literally than I am

No I refered to actually getting our void invaded so to speak. Hence why it wasnt seriously written in any way. You are the one trying to decide what someone else ment or implied with what they wrote. And for some odd reason refuse to accept what was actually ment, even when the person who wrote it tells you.

edit: Having a case of savior complex by chance?

Edited by SneakyErvin

18 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

edit: Having a case of savior complex by chance?

No I think we are just talking past each other, so let me ask this so we can be on the same page

Whisper in the Walls features one of of the major characters, a fighter with a katana, reneging on a deal with a powerful benefactor

Did you choose Pulp Fiction because it ALSO features a major character, a fighter with a katana, reneging on a deal with a powerful benefactor? Or did you choose Pulp Fiction because it was a more recognizable reference? Or for another reason entirely?

On 2023-12-27 at 7:57 PM, (XBOX)Big Roy 324 said:

My only theory could be that the pivotal year of 1999 is a reference to the first recorded instance of humanity interacting with the void.

We already know the first time the Void had interaction was with Albrecht, long long after a multitude of events that could only take place after 1999. Also that it didn't happen during a plague.

13 hours ago, Atsia said:

We already know the first time the Void had interaction was with Albrecht, long long after a multitude of events that could only take place after 1999. Also that it didn't happen during a plague.

From a lore/story perspective I would say it's the first time the Orokin empire has interacted with the void. Albrecht's experiments and obsession with 1999 seems to indicate there may have been something that led to a discovery concerning the void in that time. 

My opinion and guess is that the appearance of the form of the "man in the wall" might have to do with that concerning it's resemblance to this.

yPeUNvbbJXLzedwXJ3ypsY-320-80.jpg

It's pretty well known that this is something humanity shares when trying to contact non-human entities in space and other.  Especially in science fiction.

Something being void means it has no shape or form.  It takes Albrecht's shape when he enters the bell. So where does the man in the wall's "wall form" come from?