The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Let Hildryn cast all of her abilities in her 4.

Sloth45

Title. She can cast her 1, she can cast her 3, and obviously she can cast her 4. Why is Pillage singled out? If you think her 4 is good enough that I'm willing to give up my decent guns (Balefire sucks, but that's another issue) AND pillage, then I regret to inform you you're wrong. It's pillage time all the time, and if her 4 doesn't work it it, then her 4 is functionally banned at all times, you know?

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, _GoodLuck_ said:

Balefire really needs a huge buff. No status, no crits

The fire rate is the absolute killer. I hate charge weapons in general, but just look at it. You look at that unmodified fire rate and you tell me that's okay.

• Like 3

hildryn is just a helminth fodder meme frame. her only redeeming ability can be put on any other frame.

so instead of making that weird ass combo work, which noone is really gonna use anyway, i'd rather have the whole frame be reworked into something that isnt garbage.

• Like 1

I get the reason for asking, but consider that DE would rather buff her 4 than allow her to regen her shields during it.

Because Hildryn's 4 is so bad overall, locking her into slow movement, removing her regular weapons, being a CC in a game where there are dedicated CC-resistant enemies that use attacks that have to be evaded (energy leech, health leech, heat blasts, electric sparks, that kind of thing) while you kill those enemies (which she can't do because the ability locks her into slow movement)...

DE thought it was going to be strong. That's why you can't cast her 2 during her 4. You can't regen the Shields that you're spending on the cast.

They thought this ability would perform better and not be the one that players would remove with Helminth, because it drops Energy Orbs for the team and CC's the area... and... no. We know it doesn't do anything powerful enough to have these other drawbacks.

So.

DE will more likely not go back on the design choice, and instead buff her 4 so that it does more to account for those drawbacks.

Silly, I know. But they have a distinct history of not doing things the normal way. Rather than say 'Oh, this isn't powerful enough to have these drawbacks, lets remove the drawbacks', DE have a history of instead saying 'Well, let's make it worth those drawbacks.'

Shame, but...

That's the most likely prospect.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, iHaku said:

hildryn is just a helminth fodder meme frame. her only redeeming ability can be put on any other frame.

so instead of making that weird ass combo work, which noone is really gonna use anyway, i'd rather have the whole frame be reworked into something that isnt garbage.

That would be nice, but I prefer to ask for small changes that can be implented quickly. It's more likely to actually happen.

12 hours ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

I get the reason for asking, but consider that DE would rather buff her 4 than allow her to regen her shields during it.

Because Hildryn's 4 is so bad overall, locking her into slow movement, removing her regular weapons, being a CC in a game where there are dedicated CC-resistant enemies that use attacks that have to be evaded (energy leech, health leech, heat blasts, electric sparks, that kind of thing) while you kill those enemies (which she can't do because the ability locks her into slow movement)...

DE thought it was going to be strong. That's why you can't cast her 2 during her 4. You can't regen the Shields that you're spending on the cast.

They thought this ability would perform better and not be the one that players would remove with Helminth, because it drops Energy Orbs for the team and CC's the area... and... no. We know it doesn't do anything powerful enough to have these other drawbacks.

So.

DE will more likely not go back on the design choice, and instead buff her 4 so that it does more to account for those drawbacks.

Silly, I know. But they have a distinct history of not doing things the normal way. Rather than say 'Oh, this isn't powerful enough to have these drawbacks, lets remove the drawbacks', DE have a history of instead saying 'Well, let's make it worth those drawbacks.'

Shame, but...

Probably, yeah. That said, I wouldn't mind the support aspect for your team staying the same (enemy defense stripping) while having the personal-benefit aspect (shield regen) be stripped down to 50/25% of it's effectiveness,  or even not regenerating shields at all during it. If you were able to use normal guns and actually get kills during it, that might also be worth giving up Pillage.

Edited by Sloth45

15 hours ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

So.

Shame, but...

I think it was because she has been out way before eximus rework. Shes outdated for sure

4 hours ago, Sloth45 said:

Probably, yeah. That said, I wouldn't mind the support aspect for your team staying the same (enemy defense stripping) while having the personal-benefit aspect (shield regen) be stripped down to 50/25% of it's effectiveness,  or even not regenerating shields at all during it. If you were able to use normal guns and actually get kills during it, that might also be worth giving up Pillage.

You've hit on something here, without meaning to.

My own thought is that the simplest buff and the way to get players to keep Aegis Storm on is to give her a combo that replaces Pillage situationally. For example, the reason I run both of her Augments is so that I can maintain Haven and any other casting even when enemies do not have defenses to strip, you can even run her on Infested like this because Overshields prevent Toxin bypass on Hildryn.

So, with that in mind, what if Aegis Storm caused Balefire Launchers to strip 35-50% of defenses from lifted enemies, adjusted by Strength (because Strength Hildryn is obvious). With the existing Augment, this would mean that even before secondary weapon modding on the Balefire Charger, you would have a weapon on hand that deals a decent base damage, strips the defenses of any enemy affected by Aegis Storm, and can also be augmented so that the fully charged 450 Shield Cost restores more than 1500 Shields per direct hit. With a bit of Efficiency you're cutting the cost and maintaining the gain.

Modded, Balefire deals some immense up-front damage, and if you're stripping the defenses with the hit, then dealing damage after (the way Gauss does with Sunder) that up-front damage doesn't even need the Crit/Status scaling that other weapons have.

Give her some faster base movement speed in Aegis Storm, and you have an attack helicopter.

While it would pigeon hole a build for Aegis Storm into a single play style of 'Hit 4, maintain 4 by shooting lifted enemies, enemies either drop an Orb for the team or die eventually' it would make a build for the ability actually viable. Instead of the meme for maintaining Necramechs.

8 hours ago, Sloth45 said:

Probably, yeah. That said, I wouldn't mind the support aspect for your team staying the same (enemy defense stripping) while having the personal-benefit aspect (shield regen) be stripped down to 50/25% of it's effectiveness,  or even not regenerating shields at all during it.

Even if you downgrade the ability to get 10% stripped armor/shields you still get shield gating (the main reason why I use the ability).

I'd rework Hildryn in this way:

1. Balefire remains with the current mechanics, but with increased fire rate and CC/CD. New altfire (switch mode) causing her Balefire act like Atomos;
  2. Pillage is a good ability. Remains the same;
  3. Haven shouldn't drain shields over time. Just make it duration based;
  4. Aegis Storm is literally paralyzing you. More movement speed, any ability can be used (including Pillage), and Balefire deals x2 damage while Aegis Storm is active. Did you notice that she has 2 Balefires? This is just cosmetics thing.

i want them to buff pillages cast speed because man it just feels terrible without a tauforged yellow shard, would make her SO much usable

idk abt buffs to aegis storm i think it needs a complete rework because you’re literally immobile and locked to one of the worst exalteds ever 

if the inaros rework turns out to be good i defo think she’s gonna be paraded as shield inaros because all she has going for her right now is pillage which is subsumable, balefire is pretty garbage and protea even stole her extended shieldgate niche

Edited by DeathOfASaint

Either buff her Balefire Chargers or cut the shield drain to a flat 25 to activate with no cost to charge or fire, and allow Pillage to be used while her Aegis Storm is active.

Not sure I'd call it "rework" level, but definitely seems like a simple enough set of requests to me.

Le 14/02/2024 à 18:13, Raarsi a dit :

Either buff her Balefire Chargers or cut the shield drain to a flat 25 to activate with no cost to charge or fire

I don't see why removing the shield ammo cost of the balefire, it's not like you have not a immense amount of max shield and a button than can refill it entirely. And what could they buff on them ? Balefire Charger are slow weapon so boosting status chance will change nothing of their viability, unless if they boost it up to 100% and even then it would still be terrible to prime enemies. They can have a boost in crit, that could be nice but I don't see DE go from 5%-x1.5 to 20%-x2.0. A fire rate would be the best boost they can give, but because of the no need for crit mods, you can just use the gain space for more fire rate. The only solution pertinent is then to boost all of that but it risk to be too strong then.

Le 14/02/2024 à 18:13, Raarsi a dit :

allow Pillage to be used while her Aegis Storm is active.

Yes.

2 hours ago, Okaazkul said:

I don't see why removing the shield ammo cost of the balefire, it's not like you have not a immense amount of max shield and a button than can refill it entirely.

Since those are the only weapons you can use during Aegis Storm, that would mean more shields for other things like maintaining Aegis Storm or for just taking damage while draining your shields.

It would also be a way of increasing the overall damage output of Balefire because as the nerfs to weapons like the Kuva Bramma and Kuva Zarr proved that dps from any weapon can indeed be altered by changing its ammo.  Only difference here is that this would be the opposite of those previous nerfs.

2 hours ago, Okaazkul said:

Balefire Charger are slow weapon so boosting status chance will change nothing of their viability, unless if they boost it up to 100% and even then it would still be terrible to prime enemies. They can have a boost in crit, that could be nice but I don't see DE go from 5%-x1.5 to 20%-x2.0. A fire rate would be the best boost they can give, but because of the no need for crit mods, you can just use the gain space for more fire rate. The only solution pertinent is then to boost all of that but it risk to be too strong then.

Agreed on the status factor, but looking at cases like the Hydroid overhaul tells me that DE has the potential to create more drastic positive outcomes, and ramping up crit stats and possibly base damage on an exalted weapon (especially one which is forced on the player by another ability) wouldn't and shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Well, the horseshoe thing can deal an absurd amount of damage, but not if the enemy has high armor or high shields. Which is what pillage deals with.

So naturally, her 1 and 2 to synergize quite well, same with the 3 where it shares shield with the team that you steal from enemies.

On the other end, Aegis Storm doesn't bring anything to the table :

• The CC radius is poor and that radius gets much smaller if you fly too high.
  • The energy orbs generated cannot offset the drain, nor do they come in such high supply that it'd replace something as trivial as an easily slapped on Voracious Metastasis (which will generate alot of energy to allies since it'll be scaled on your shield sacrifice value), or even just dispenser from protea.
  • The damage of the ability itself might as well not even exist.
  • The dodge roll now becomes a shield drain on top of your mobility being significantly reduced.

So in short, Aegis Storm doesn't work as a DPS ability, it doesn't work as CC ability, it doesn't work as a Tank ability, it doesn't work as a Support ability and it doesn't work as a Mobility ability. The question is... when does it even work? There is no legitimate use case scenario for it, which is why it's just never used or replaced.

Some people go on to say Yareli has god awful design and all, but hear me out ... unlike Hildryn, she can use all her abilities on Merulina, it can go fast, greatly improves survivability, the CC she provides is great, and her passive lets you take some strong secondaries to the next level of stupidity (Kuva Nukor, Dual Toxocyst Incarnon, Lex Incarnon, just to name a few). She can't strip armor like Hildryn does, but that's kind of irrelevant now that green shards are a thing, so all that's left is the shield support thing that she can't do, but offsets with better durability and better cc. Don't get me wrong, I hate bumping into a wall with Merulina mid-air and having my momentum completely screwed over, but it's still not as painfully slow as flying with Aegis Storm.

If anything, being able to cast Pillage regardless if Aegis Storm is up or not should be a base feature, only once we have established that can we buff Aegis Storm so that it actually does something to justify using it. After all, in the entire cast of frames we can play as, only Banshee, Caliban, Inaros, Nyx and Revenant share this "oops can't cast spells" thing with Hildryn, which is funny because it's always with garbage abilities that everyone subsumes off or have augments that completely change their mechanic (I'm not including Styanax in there, that's the only ability you get "locked in" which is usable and very strong). Even Grendel's meme Pulverize was reworked to allow casting abilities while in ball form, AND IT'S ACTUALLY GOOD NOW WHAT, HOW DID THEY MANAGE THIS ? All of those abilities need a significant rework, because they completely break the flow of their respective frames.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CrownOfShadows said:

No, casting pillage during Aegis Storm is a terrible idea. People would just sit in Aegis Storm and never leave. You'd create a new AFK mode, and we have enough of those already.

afk what ? level 30 defense missions 😹

On 2024-02-14 at 10:33 AM, DeathOfASaint said:

all she has going for her right now is pillage which is subsumable, balefire is pretty garbage and protea even stole her extended shieldgate niche

This is false, she has several nuke builds based off her 3

Also despite Protea and others having overshield spam Hildryn remains the best shield tank in the game, if not the best tank hands down of the entire roster.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DeathOfASaint said:

i don’t even feel like refuting any of these points because this feels like peak bad faith tier bait or just unhealthy amounts of copium 

Lol, too bad I was really looking forward to watching you frantically try to explain how Hildryn is not an exceptional top-tier tank.

Il y a 10 heures, CrownOfShadows a dit :

No, casting pillage during Aegis Storm is a terrible idea. People would just sit in Aegis Storm and never leave. You'd create a new AFK mode, and we have enough of those already.

Yeah but not really though? Aegis Storm as it stands does not offer anything special outside of not touching the ground.

Think it through. If you're going to play Hildryn, you're probably going to have your 3 up at all time and cast Pillage often (especially if you're using the Blazing Pillage augment). Balefire is just up to player preference, but forced in Aegis Storm, and it's not exactly a weapon that performs really good on targets you've not pillaged.

Allowing Pillage to be cast while Aegis Storm is up wouldn't change the core of what makes Hildryn strong, nor would it create a "new AFK mode". Really I do not understand your point, because then that means Hildryn is already an AFK mode, since 2 is the one key to press anyway, not unlike Revenant (which can AFK leech for a half minute between each casts).

Hildryn being tanky has nothing to do with Aegis Storm. The ability does not go that way and like I've said previously, the CC it brings is unreliable at best and not working at all at worst.

Hildryn's bread and butter is Pillage and that's just the way it is. Even if you had a Protea giving you infinite shields, using Aegis Storm would still be troll, because then you're not even using the strongest ability in the kit since it's blocked. Someone pressing Pillage every other 5 second isn't exactly my idea of AFK mode but whatever, they could be using Mesmer Skin and just walk to extraction I guess.

• Like 1

On 2024-02-16 at 6:01 PM, CrownOfShadows said:

This is false, she has several nuke builds based off her 3

Also despite Protea and others having overshield spam Hildryn remains the best shield tank in the game, if not the best tank hands down of the entire roster.

Could you show your several nuke builds based off 3? Because from what I've seen and tried it tickles enemies. But I assume you only play in normal mode so it makes sense for it to kill enemies (even if it's slower than limbo 4 spam).

On 2024-02-16 at 3:52 PM, CrownOfShadows said:

Aegis storm offers nothing at all. Instead what it does is make you lose shields, disable the ability to strip enemy armor, drastically lowers your movement speed and forces you to use balemid charger instead of normal weapons that easily overpower it. 

• Like 2

В 16.02.2024 в 17:40, Fred_Avant_2019 сказал:

The CC radius is poor and that radius gets much smaller if you fly too high.

not only that, it straight up refuses to work if someone you try to CC with it is standing even slightly higher than the curvature of the fkn planet you're currently on.

The only use for Aegis Storm I can think of is 'cheesing' the Ambulas fight (the part where you need to defend the hacked Abulases). Even then you run out of shields way before the dropship arrives.

I'd say not only let us use Pillage during AS, but make Pillage waves travel 2x faster if it's cast during AS.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nebu4 said:

Could you show your several nuke builds based off 3? Because from what I've seen and tried it tickles enemies. But I assume you only play in normal mode so it makes sense for it to kill enemies (even if it's slower than limbo 4 spam).

Aegis storm offers nothing at all. Instead what it does is make you lose shields, disable the ability to strip enemy armor, drastically lowers your movement speed and forces you to use balemid charger instead of normal weapons that easily overpower it. 

Brozime covers 2 of them well enough. They do melt SP if you capitalize on them. It's not instant, it's not a Mesa, nor should it be, but it does real damage over time. Pretending Haven is a trash ability is not correct. It's perfectly fine, and it's main purpose is ironically actually as a team shield support ability even though it's currently her main ability dps.

As a general rule of game design, you don't want to create a way for players to be infinitely immortal or for 'strong' abilities to have zero downside to their use. That is exactly what you're asking for with casting pillage during aegis storm. It basically erases the cost of using the ability. Think about it in terms of energy. It's not like DE just randomly left it out. They left it out for a reason, and maybe, just maybe, that was a solid choice. And it's not like Hildryn is alone in this, many, many frames cannot cast other abilities while in their 'ultimate'. It's not 'unfair' - it's a tradeoff. What, do you also want to change this for every 'ultimate' ability in WF?

Also I'd like to point out that making pillage castable during aegis storm would not be the fix aegis storm needs. It would not make it feel good - it would still suck to use. It's a poorly conceived and awfully implemented ability. Pillage wouldn't even be a bandaid for it, the usage rate of aegis wouldn't even flicker if you stacked pillage on it.

Leave Pillage as it is. Completely overhaul Aegis Storm. Tweak Balefire. That's what Hildryn needs.

• Like 1

il y a 19 minutes, CrownOfShadows a dit :

As a general rule of game design, you don't want to create a way for players to be infinitely immortal or for 'strong' abilities to have zero downside to their use.

That much people can agree with easily, for sure, but Mesmer Skin exists. Lets Revenant be infinitely immortal, punishes attacks done to him with CC if eligible and has zero downside to its use, in fact maximizing your mod setup to build specifically to get the most out of Mesmer Skin is far from troll.

If Aegis Storm were to remain as is, with no possibility of using Pillage, then it should be greatly improved, with far better mobility, a cap on max drain (like gloom), better Energy Orb generation, properly working CC, and less animation lock upon deactivating the ability. Speaking of deactivating the ability, it should have more oomph. Maybe have it do something that scales with how long you have used the ability / how much shields were consumed.

I think the whole reason why people ask for Pillage to be cast under Aegis Storm is specifically because Aegis Storm on its own doesn't bring anything of value. The rest of Hildryn is fine or can be worked around and maximized, but Aegis Storm cannot be used outside of troll builds. I've tried stuff out with it, changing my efficiency stats, range stats, using the Balefire mod to generate shields when doing a direct hit, putting Arcane Aegis and Barrier, you name it, well it still ends up just being troll. Hildryn's bread and butter is Pillage, no matter how you look at it. Walking and using Pillage is just how she works best. Yes, helicopter mom is funny, but at some point you're kind of just done with it when it doesn't perform (and as it stands, it cannot perform, it doesn't have the tools to do so).

It might seem out of line, but I like to compare Hildryn and Grendel together, as old Pulverize was quite close to what Aegis Storm is. Since Grendel's rework, Pulverize no longer has an absurd drain that ramps up to infinity and no longer prevents you from using abilities while it provides some of the most insane mobility option and easy access to armor stripping (and making it full strip armor only requires 200% strength, which you're going to build for anyway since Nourish is very interesting when building strength). Looking back to what Pulverize was doing, it was a bad mobility option, unfitting of an ultimate due to the pitiful damage, didn't strip armor, blocked abilities and just was a huge energy loss overall, much like Aegis Storm is.

Now maybe if Aegis Storm's drain worked differently and dashing did something, maybe we could have something, imagine this :

• Aegis Storm no longer generates energy orbs.
  • Aegis Storm's base drain is increased but does not increase based on the number of enemies affected.
  • Aegis Storms continuously drains shields and armor off targets if Haven is activated (at a low% per second with some mod strength scaling, lower base than Pillage though).
  • Aegis Storm pulls enemies in line of sight towards Hildryn up to a set minimal range (strength of the pulling effect scales with strength).
  • Using the "dodge roll" while in Aegis Storm drags enemies along, inflicting damage if they collide with terrain/objects/geometry.
  • Deactivating Aegis Storm manually deals radiation damage in an AoE based on how long the ability was used for with no Rad procs and no animation lag, Aegis Storm deactivated by losing all shields only does a Rad proc in an AoE with no damage and locks you in an animation for longer.

How's that for a rework then?

• Like 3

The main issue with giving Hildryn access to Pillage while she has Aegis Storm active is that is completely negates the cost of using the ability in the first place.

Of course, Aegis Storm is a great big pile of garbage in 98.63% of content you would take Hildryn into, and 99.99% of the content you probably shouldn't be taking her into, and I'll explain why, but I'm going to go into my interpretation of how Hildryn should be improved.

(Edit (Start))

Passive

I feel that, as a Shield Frame that uses shields for energy, she needs something to innately lower the damage she takes to her shields.

Therefore, my suggestion is to have her Armor apply to her shields.

(Edit (End))

Balefire Charger 

This is  ... lacklustre in execution. You can make it work, even in Steel Path Endurance ... but you can do the same to the MK1 Burston, even without Incarnon Genesis and a Riven. But the level of effort is heavily disproportionate to the rewards.

This "Exalted" Weapon is a glorified Stug. It has the same Critical Chance, Critical Multiplier, and Status Chance as the Stug Explosion. That is not good. The only reason this weapon has been usable is due to its base damage being so high. 

What I propose for this weapon is to give it two different fire modes; [Uncharged] and [Charged], and will be taking inspiration directly from the Epitaph for this.

The Uncharged Shot would be the Primer form, having an increased Status Chace of 40%, but retain the current 5% Critical Chance. This is a huge jump from where this weapon currently sits, but still places it below top-tier primers.

The Charged Shot, however, would have an increased Critical Chance, jumping all the way up to 35%, but would keep the Status Chance of 10%.

Both forms of this weapon would have a highly increased Critical Multiplier of 2.8x (2.5-3.0), and an increased fire rate.

To counteract these changes, the base damage of the weapon would be reduced to 250.

It will also remain moddable even if the ability has been removed with the Helminth, as it will still be used in Aegis Storm even if the ability is no longer equipped.

Edit: Also, removing the ragdoll effect from the shots would also be good. Maybe have a direct hit apply Knockdown or something?

Aegis Storm

So, the actual fundamentals of this ability are actually fairly decent. That said, the sharp decrease of mobility is too harsh. Therefore, I suggest an increase to the movement speed by having a Sprint-Toggle, increasing Shield Drain while moving in order to drastically increase movement speed. 

Additionally, the Impact Slam that occurs when Hildryn runs out of energy will now have a 50% chance for each enemy to drop an energy orb, independent of the regular timer.

Other than that however, the only changes I am making to this ability are to the synergies it provides.

Firstly, Balefire Charger has its modded multishot doubled, since you are now wielding two of them, and gains increased fire rate. Both Balefire's will now appear functional, instead of simply firing from one arm every time. These bonuses will only apply if Balefire Charger is active. If the ability is not active, or has been removed through the Helminth, the weapon will function as normal. The cost for each shot is also halved.

Secondly, Pillage will now function when in Aegis Storm, but will no longer restore shields for every enemy hit, but will instead be twice as effective (requiring only 200% Strength for a full strip) on enemies in range if Aegis Storm or affected by Haven. This does not stack if an enemy is affected by both.

Note; Having Pillage restore less shield per enemy is also viable, if it is sufficiently small. If so, have this double for enemies affected by Haven or Aegis Storm.

Thirdly, Haven. Enemies linked by Haven will not drain additional shields, but will take additional damage from all of Hildryn's abilities. This includes Blazing Pillage and Balefire Charger.

TLDR; Pillage should only be usable in Aegis Storm if it doesn't restore shields / doesn't restore as much shields.

Edited by MarakViri