Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Was there any explanation about why it was necessary to make same console platform players be unable to trade unless they have matching cross save status?

instantna-sonzai

Question

As title says.

So, for us console players, if I (PSN) have cross save enabled, and if my friend (PSN) does not have cross save enabled, we cannot trade with each other, despite having never had any problems trading prior to cross save.

I was wondering if there was any place or source of communication or explanation as to why this was necessary or unavoidable from the devs. I can kind of imagine how this may have been something unavoidable in order to make cross save available at all -- since platinum is tied to IRL money and hence intricately tied to contracts between DE and Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft -- but I was wondering if there is any record of DE explaining about this.

I do not keep up with all communication from them especially devstreams, so I was wondering if someone could sort of fill me in, if ... there was any such explanation at all.

Thanks in advance!

8 answers to this question

From my current understanding. Which is flawed in a few different ways, in that i do not watch every stream, and when I do occasionally watch, say a Dev Stream or Dev Short, I am usually multitasking and also quite tired. So not necessarily paying the attention, I think is needed. Also trading is not that important to be personally. I engage with it a little, but thats just another disclaimer as far as, why my understanding may be flawed, I might be misremembering details, so on. 

I think thats enough disclaimers... I think I remember Rebecca implying it might only be temporary. Like a lot of various restricitions and issues around early cross save, like some that might apply to cross trading etc some would only be temporary. Some aren't temporary, and are very much permanent (like certain skins as far as cross save), but that with time, certain other issues that are or were current, might alter/change. I thought... certain cross trade restrictions may be one of them. Again though, my interpretation might be inaccurate. I only slightly remember DE Reb being asked this question and explaining it was temporary, and I can't remember what stream this was. I think it might have been one of the Dev Shorts (the 15 minute streams they started doing this year, thats usually weekly, since it seemed more informal than regular Dev Streams). That being said, I watch those as background noise, and its entirely possible, my attention lapsed and she was talking about something else related. 

Hopefully someone with a more definitive understanding can give a more thorough answer. 

• Like 1

from what i understand it's because in practical terms, making your account cross-save effectively turns your account into a PC account with console login credentials tied to it. as evidenced by the fact that i as a PC-only player cannot enable cross-save, but can trade with cross-save players that play primarily on console. 

this was probably done this way because merging the smaller platforms into the biggest one was the simplest merging strategy. 

plus, *practically anyone* can make a PC account to merge with their console account, so the expectation is that everyone will do this and all trade barriers (except for switch) are gone eventually.

obviously, there's also the more sinister theory of DE not allowing non-cross-save console players to trade with cross-save ones to force them to also enable cross-save, but my honest guess is that it's simply because they can't allow trade between two different databases and your account wont be merged into the PC database until you do it yourself by enabling cross-save.

• Like 1

I can only guess ,

But my guess is that trading between console only players goes through (or atleast touches) the console makers agreements for revenue share for purchasable items (mostly platinum).

Trading between cross save enabled players goes through the PC agreements bypassing the console makers agreement.

So technically now that you are on cross save , you are following the PC terms and your friend is on the respective console terms. And they are simply not supposed to work that together.

Again , just a guess.

1 hour ago, SDGDen said:

from what i understand it's because in practical terms, making your account cross-save effectively turns your account into a PC account with console login credentials tied to it. as evidenced by the fact that i as a PC-only player cannot enable cross-save, but can trade with cross-save players that play primarily on console. 

this was probably done this way because merging the smaller platforms into the biggest one was the simplest merging strategy. 

plus, *practically anyone* can make a PC account to merge with their console account, so the expectation is that everyone will do this and all trade barriers (except for switch) are gone eventually.

obviously, there's also the more sinister theory of DE not allowing non-cross-save console players to trade with cross-save ones to force them to also enable cross-save, but my honest guess is that it's simply because they can't allow trade between two different databases and your account wont be merged into the PC database until you do it yourself by enabling cross-save.

Thank you for this post, I've been after this info for a while being a dedicated PC only player.

4 hours ago, (PSN)slightconfuzzled said:

I think I remember Rebecca implying it might only be temporary. Like a lot of various restricitions and issues around early cross save, like some that might apply to cross trading etc some would only be temporary. 

Assuming the primary issue is dealing with cross-database transactions, that will go away if they end up moving all players into the same database. They likely have a lot of testing to do still before they decide if that's even practical - both in terms of ironing out all the current migration issues before they do that to hundreds of thousands of accounts, and changing how cross save works once that change happens (since the queries will be different for linking accounts within one database compared to the copy/delete from another database they are doing currently). It seems simple, but as we've seen in the past couple months there are a LOT of small details and edge cases they have to account for.

9 hours ago, Slayer-. said:

Thank you for this post, I've been after this info for a while being a dedicated PC only player.

It was mentioned here. From : https://www.warframe.com/news/cross-platform-save

*PC accounts can automatically trade with players on other platforms — provided that both players still have Cross Platform Play enabled in their settings and that any non-PC player trading with them has a Cross Platform Save Account.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, (PSN)slightconfuzzled said:

From my current understanding. Which is flawed in a few different ways, in that i do not watch every stream, and when I do occasionally watch, say a Dev Stream or Dev Short, I am usually multitasking and also quite tired. So not necessarily paying the attention, I think is needed. Also trading is not that important to be personally. I engage with it a little, but thats just another disclaimer as far as, why my understanding may be flawed, I might be misremembering details, so on. 

I think thats enough disclaimers... I think I remember Rebecca implying it might only be temporary. Like a lot of various restricitions and issues around early cross save, like some that might apply to cross trading etc some would only be temporary. Some aren't temporary, and are very much permanent (like certain skins as far as cross save), but that with time, certain other issues that are or were current, might alter/change. I thought... certain cross trade restrictions may be one of them. Again though, my interpretation might be inaccurate. I only slightly remember DE Reb being asked this question and explaining it was temporary, and I can't remember what stream this was. I think it might have been one of the Dev Shorts (the 15 minute streams they started doing this year, thats usually weekly, since it seemed more informal than regular Dev Streams). That being said, I watch those as background noise, and its entirely possible, my attention lapsed and she was talking about something else related. 

Hopefully someone with a more definitive understanding can give a more thorough answer. 

Thank you so much. With the caveat that you may have misheard / be misremembering, you are the only one who answered my question so far.

• Like 1