Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hold button to cast option for abilities.

Imperth

Hello,

As the title also states, i think we are in serious need of a QoL feature where we can enable hold to cast abilities by choice because some warframe abilities are really spammy and  my hand is giving up at this rate.

I know, there are solutions for this such as macros but we all know the stand of DE regarding macros, but with all honesty, if they are so against macros(which is totally fine), they somehow have to provide us some QoL features so playing the game(especially with spammy warframes) should be less taxing on our hands.

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, Rawbeard said:

by hold do you mean "ability will be cast over and over as long as button is held"? I can't think of abilities where that would be helpful, can you give some examples?

Yes kind of,  in my case the example is Ember's Inferno(4), but it could be any ability in any caster Warframe that has to be re casted multiple times.

4 minutes ago, Rawbeard said:

how often do you cast it? what would the frequency of the hold trigger need to be?

You cast it non stop, Ember also benefits from casting speed shards/buffs in general so you spam it a lot.

The only ability I can think that would benefit from that is Garuda's 3, which you have to cast 2 to fully replenish your energy...

For all other abilities, you can "spam" for sure, but what for ? If you need a hold, I hope it's for more than 2 or 3 uses but more for like 10 in a row, when does that even happen ?

If you do that a lot, maybe it's more efficient to drop a bit of efficiency for some power instead, and one cast will be more powerful than 10 :laugh:

Bruh can you just let people do their own thing and not block an idea thats not going to hurt you and is going to help them? Besides, Im all for more QoL or more precisely accessibility options for this game. Its way too carpal unfriendly. Thank god we at least got the new hold to melee thing, but lets keep it coming. Like I dont even see why we cant have hold to fire semi automatic weapons as long as they have the same fire rate as if you manually shot them, again a thing that hurts nobody and helps someone.

Edited by MaxTunnerX
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Chewarette said:

The only ability I can think that would benefit from that is Garuda's 3, which you have to cast 2 to fully replenish your energy...

For all other abilities, you can "spam" for sure, but what for ? If you need a hold, I hope it's for more than 2 or 3 uses but more for like 10 in a row, when does that even happen ?

If you do that a lot, maybe it's more efficient to drop a bit of efficiency for some power instead, and one cast will be more powerful than 10 :laugh:

I'm sorry but this is not a valid reason to deny  my suggestion of a QoL feature,  you may not find it needed(which is totally okay) but there is really a need/use for that type of option imho.

And what this has to do with how powerful is your abilty or not? My nuke Ember is already 1 shotting everything, combined with nourish i never run out of energy and can keep spamming it in SO for example, having the said hold feature would make stuff much polished.

Edited by Imperth
Typo

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, MaxTunnerX said:

Bruh can you just let people do their own thing and not block an idea thats not going to hurt you and is going to help them? Besides, Im all for more QoL or more precisely accessibility options for this game. Its way too carpal unfriendly. Thank god we at least got the new hold to melee thing, but lets keep it coming. Like I dont even see why we cant have hold to fire semi automatic weapons as long as they have the same fire rate as if you manually shot them, again a thing that hurts nobody and helps someone.

Exactly this, having it as an option to turn it off/on would hurt none but HELP people who have hand problems, i think he dosn't mean anything bad but he didin't add anything positive  or a valid reason why it's not needed.

Edited by Imperth

To @Imperth, (and to @MaxTunnerX too for pov answer ^^)

As I am using MOUSE_WHEEL_UP for Gun and MOUSE_WHEEL_DOWN for Melee to save my fingers and mouse/keyboard button alike)

Instead of the complex option you propose I'd advocate for something smoother :

• Permit assign a combo key like ALT + MOUSE_WHEEL_UP for any Selected Ability (the other shortcut)
  • Permit assign a combo key like ALT + MOUSE_WHEEL_DOWN for any Selected Ability (the other shortcut)

This way we can change the Selected ability like usual (I use Keyboard F1/F3) and use hold a key + mouse wheel to control the rythm of the ability like I do for melee or gun shot...

It does not need to alter any already existing functions but just add QoL without impairing the already existed habit, most Tenno have ❤️😇

20 minutes ago, Imperth said:

Exactly this, having it as an option to turn it off/on would hurt none but HELP people who have hand problems, i think he dosn't mean anything bad but he didin't add anything positive  or a valid reason why it's not needed.

You also have to consider that we can't just spawn new mechanics every time someone needs something.

1- Dev time, so priority is given depending on whatever DE feels is required. Something that "hurts no one" but also helps 2 people will definitely not be top-tier priority

2- What you think is just an easy-to-dev solution to your problem might not be that easy to implement without reworking the code, which we all know is pretty much a spaghetti salad right now. Adding a hold-to-spam functionality might break half of the game for all we know, and how would that even work with hold-tap things ? Nobody knows

Here your idea seems extremely situational. I'm on the forums since 2016? maybe, it's definitely not a trendy topic, and when we ask why (to better understand the need), it seems it's only for Ember's Inferno in SO, where you also state you're one-shotting everything, so basically you request an "improvement" that would allow you to spam Inferno to 0 enemies 80% of the time. And we're not even talking about ESO as it has spam-prevention mechanics, only the standard SO that gives 0 affinity compared to its elite counterpart..

Of course we're OK for accessibility improvements, but if "SO Ember" is the only justification, then this is very likely too situational for DE to even think about implementing.

And to conclude (this is mostly for @MaxTunnerX) : We're on a forum and none of us are Devs. We're free to discuss and have adverse opinions. If you wish to see a forum where someone posts an idea and everyone is just like "+1", then that's not a forum goal and this is all but constructive.

Edit: You also have to think about botting. Not saying it's impossible to program something to spam an ability every X seconds right now, but having a hold-function to do that would increase botting by one billion % considering anyone could just leave an object on the ability shortcut. So this would require additional dev to prevent that from happening.

Edited by Chewarette
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, RLanzinger said:

To @Imperth, (and to @MaxTunnerX too for pov answer ^^)

As I am using MOUSE_WHEEL_UP for Gun and MOUSE_WHEEL_DOWN for Melee to save my fingers and mouse/keyboard button alike)

Instead of the complex option you propose I'd advocate for something smoother :

• Permit assign a combo key like ALT + MOUSE_WHEEL_UP for any Selected Ability (the other shortcut)
  • Permit assign a combo key like ALT + MOUSE_WHEEL_DOWN for any Selected Ability (the other shortcut)

This way we can change the Selected ability like usual (I use Keyboard F1/F3) and use hold a key + mouse wheel to control the rythm of the ability like I do for melee or gun shot...

It does not need to alter any already existing functions but just add QoL without impairing the already existed habit, most Tenno have ❤️😇

Actually what you suggest is really similar to what i suggest to be honest.
In technical level, adding an alt function that alters the usage of mwheel up/down is 99% similar to adding a function that lets you enable hold on specific keybinds.
But i would be okay with either function to be honest.

Edited by Imperth

Posted (edited)

You also have to consider that we can't just spawn new mechanics every time someone needs something.

1- Dev time, so priority is given depending on whatever DE feels is required. Something that "hurts no one" but also helps 2 people will definitely not be top-tier priority

Again, you are not providing anything constructive , that's what feedback is for, whether is needed or not is up to DE to decide.

23 minutes ago, Chewarette said:

2- What you think is just an easy-to-dev solution to your problem might not be that easy to implement without reworking the code, which we all know is pretty much a spaghetti salad right now. Adding a hold-to-spam functionality might break half of the game for all we know, and how would that even work with hold-tap things ? Nobody knows

This is totally unvalid, since many hold features are already in the game and it's simple as adding a repeat function on ability register.

Here your idea seems extremely situational. I'm on the forums since 2016? maybe, it's definitely not a trendy topic, and when we ask why (to better understand the need), it seems it's only for Ember's Inferno in SO, where you also state you're one-shotting everything, so basically you request an "improvement" that would allow you to spam Inferno to 0 enemies 80% of the time. And we're not even talking about ESO as it has spam-prevention mechanics, only the standard SO that gives 0 affinity compared to its elite counterpart..

Of course we're OK for accessibility improvements, but if "SO Ember" is the only justification, then this is very likely too situational for DE to even think about implementing

Again, you asked for an example and i gave you an example, you still add nothing to the conversation.

Edit: You also have to think about botting. Not saying it's impossible to program something to spam an ability every X seconds right now, but having a hold-function to do that would increase botting by one billion % considering anyone could just leave an object on the ability shortcut. So this would require additional dev to prevent that from happening.

I'm not even sure on what to say about this, i'm sorry but you don't know how botting is working and has nothing to do with a hold button function....

Edited by Imperth

3 hours ago, Chewarette said:

Atlas Landslide is the one that springs immediately to mind for me, although as a targeted ability the way autocast was implemented would require some consideration.   I can imagine Whipclaw might be simpler example, but I don't play Khora.

Shattered Lash I know from experience could be way more pleasant with auto-repeat.  It presents an issue though in that hold-cast already has a function on it, so that would have to change too.   (Personally I'd be ok sacrificing easy access to the thrust attack, but other people might feel differently.)

10 hours ago, Imperth said:

You cast it non stop, Ember also benefits from casting speed shards/buffs in general so you spam it a lot.

but what is the benefit of casting it non-stop? how is anything alive long enough for that to matter? what kind of build are you using? are you using her synergies to make everyone burn in a second or two? 

I want to make clear, I do not oppose this kind of accessibility feature. more of those for those who need it. I am just so confused why this game in general and Ember specifically would actually need a turbo button.

also as someone mentioned have you tried a workaround by binding that particular skill to the mouse wheel or something like that?

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Rawbeard said:

but what is the benefit of casting it non-stop? how is anything alive long enough for that to matter? what kind of build are you using? are you using her synergies to make everyone burn in a second or two? 

I think these  questions are not that useful because i'm not asking on how to play Ember since i main her in and out and can do any content with her.
I know what i'm asking for, and it's not about how to play Ember, the other person asked for an example and i gave an example on where it could be useful.

In case of Ember, since both of her main abilities  come with LoS requirement, you have to already cast it a lot,  combined with mobs dying a lot and spawning  a lot, you have to cast it even more.

And it's not about benefit of "casting it non stop", instead of bashing the button, when you want to cast it more it would be really nice to be able to hold the button, which was the main topic of my suggestion/feedback until someone started giving an off topic advice which i really find useless.

Edited by Imperth