Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Any way to get Toxin status on a weapon with innate Heat damage?

Fallowsthorn

Question

I suspect the answer is just "no, them's the breaks," but I may as well ask anyway. I'm looking at the Athodai and the Ignis Wraith, although the only part that matters is they both do Heat damage innately, without any mods. I can slap a Toxin on there, but it just combines into Gas, and Cold and Electricity both combine with Toxin and leave Heat alone. All four elements results in Radiation (Elec + Heat) and Viral (Toxin + Cold). Is there any way to... I guess pick which damage types combine???

4 answers to this question

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Fallowsthorn said:

Is there any way to... I guess pick which damage types combine?

Weapons with innate elemental damage add in their element at the end. However, you can force the element to appear earlier by using a mod of the same element. For instance, adding Hellfire and Stormbringer (the order can be switched) to your build will make Radiation damage, and the innate Heat from the weapon will feed into that Radiation. Now it won't combine with anything else, so you can add Infected Clip after those two mods and then you will have standalone Toxin damage along with your Radiation.

Note that you can't just add Stormbringer and expect it to combine with the innate Heat, because it will instead combine with the Toxin from Infected Clip. The innate Heat will always appear at the end unless you add in a Heat mod to make it appear earlier in the modding order.

This approach feels sub-optimal because you are "wasting" a mod slot for a damage type that is already present, but there's no other way to do it. Plus, the Hellfire mod is still adding damage, just not as much as a different mod might.

Edited by GrayArchon
added middle paragraph
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fallowsthorn said:

Is there any way to... I guess pick which damage types combine?

It goes in order of left to right, top then bottom row,
with innate elements basically acting like a further Mod being added after all others.

So, to have Toxin Mods not mix with anything, you have to first "use up" Heat in some combo,
i.e. use a Heat Mod, then a Cold or Electricity Mod, and finally Toxin after that.

... mind, why do you want Toxin on your Ignis?
Heat is a nifty damage type, and you can add Viral or Corrosive to it which should work nicely in many situations
(Ignis Wraith can support a Crit build with Hunter Munitions, Viral would fit great to boost both Slash and Heat procs).

• Like 1

18 hours ago, GrayArchon said:

Weapons with innate elemental damage add in their element at the end. However, you can force the element to appear earlier by using a mod of the same element. For instance, adding Hellfire and Stormbringer (the order can be switched) to your build will make Radiation damage, and the innate Heat from the weapon will feed into that Radiation. Now it won't combine with anything else, so you can add Infected Clip after those two mods and then you will have standalone Toxin damage along with your Radiation.

Awesome, it works! Thank you!

19 hours ago, NinjaZeku said:

... mind, why do you want Toxin on your Ignis?

I don't particularly, it was just a convenient and well-known example of a pure Heat weapon. Athodai (Heat/Puncture) is my main Secondary and Toxin is useful for Corpus because it skips shields. Grineer and Infested get Viral and Gas, respectively, but those are easy to do. Tbh Athodai isn't the greatest but I really like the way it handles and its headshot kill gimmick. Also thanks for the tip about left-right top-bottom, I didn't realize that mattered.

• Like 1

In case this helps anyone; there's at least one way to have Toxin and Heat on the same weapon: Saryn's Toxic Lash ability.  The Toxin damage from weapons enhanced by Toxic Lash is actually considered to be a distinct attack, meaning that the Toxin element does not combine with any other elements, meaning you can have a single weapon that both deals Toxin damage/procs while also dealing damage and procs from one of the other 3 primary elements at the same time.