The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

trading / gifting items to my wife

LordLoki96

Question

my wife has recently started playing Warframe, she made an account on our switch then made an account on my old laptop and merged it with that , my question is whether i´d be able to give her the extra mods and prime parts i´ve obtained throughout my playthrough without putting either of our accounts at risk (i know i cant trade with her whilst she´s on the switch) because we´re both on the same network, after submitting a ticket they said 

Accounts with suspicious activity will be checked and investigated first before punishments are enforced. Rest assured that if no suspicious activity are to be found, your account will be safe. We also recommend that you use the in-game gifting system.

that is all fine and well but im not exactly sure what would count as "suspicious activity" and to me this would seem kind of suspicious since she wouldn't be giving me any plat for any of the prime parts or mods but probably an ammo drum or something and as for using the gifting system i don't think pc can gift switch players anything nor can i gift her prime parts and most mods.

any help / info would be appreciated 

14 answers to this question

Other people have already given excellent answers and examples already, but just to add in case it gives more reassurance. In my experience, the only people that usually have to actually worry about whats considered suspicious or shady activity, are people attempting to do suspicious and shady activity. 

Assuming your sincere, (which I personally do), then you and your wife should be set to go. 

I use to have to overseer certain aspects of user activity on a website, dealing with stuff like alt accounts, suspicious activity, etc Very very different from Warframe, but you might be surprised how many people pretend to have parents or children or siblings, just to try and find a way to bypass or exploit a system. 

There are going to be people who think creating alt accounts will let them have extra Rivens or potential to use Discount Vouchers to exchange Plat between accounts, or use it to gift their main account stuff etc. Their thought process might go something like... "Well DE can't seem into my home, how do they know I don't have 3 brothers who all play Warframe?" but its going to be pretty easy to tell something is shady if those three accounts don't actually play many story quests, do certain missions or content, and do certain other things most accounts may generally do, which they have a lot of data points of comparison. 

So like what are the odds that your wife only plays Warframe just to collect Rivens, for guns she doesn't own, and doesn't do much else, but also likes to trade them with you and hold them, and you two never actually play together either, or that she only logs in to get rewards and never plays much, but when she gets a 75% Discount voucher, decides to gift you stuff in exchange for Rivens, since you are at your cap. Like thats suspicious and odd, and then what will probably happen is your account may be flagged, and a real person will look at more specific and nuance comparisons. 

Like I probably engage in some relatively "shady" seeming stuff or the time, but when I say that, I mean like giving new players free stuff in exchange for fish, and one time a friend gave me like 1000 Plat because they quit the game permanently and I had helped them a bunch of the years. Except its not really shady in the sense, that DE knows that a lot of veterans give new players a lot of free stuff, and only want an ammo case or fish in return, and sometimes players just quit the game permanently and give away their junk, and since I know I am being legit, I don't need to stress or worry. 

Its a little bit like how some website security layers, actually have more to do with how a human hand moves a cursor around a website to check a box to indicate you are a human, than actually whether you check the box or not. Its because humans generally haves certain sincere inefficient muscle movements, so we have little wiggles and imprecise minute movements, aka we act natural. If you make a bot or program, they may lack such movements and thus can be flagged as shady. 

All the best to you! 

• Like 2

I've played on the same network as my spouse for 5+ years, both trading and gifting, and never had any issues.  As long as you're a different person than your wife and you both play on your own distinct accounts, you should be fine.

16 minutes ago, LordLoki96 said:

that is all fine and well but im not exactly sure what would count as "suspicious activity"

There are probably lots of examples of suspicious activity, but a big one I can think of would be if inputs from your account and your wife's account never happen at the same time...which might suggest that both accounts are actually being controlled by a single person.

18 minutes ago, LordLoki96 said:

to me this would seem kind of suspicious since she wouldn't be giving me any plat for any of the prime parts or mods but probably an ammo drum or something

This won't seem suspicious; DE has made it clear that they understand that people give their friends stuff for free all the time.

• Like 3

"Suspicious activity" would be like handing your wife a bunch of extra Rivens to hold on her account, and then her giving them back to you as you sell them. Stuff like that. A pattern of trading back and forth that looks like it's trying to bypass ingame limitations like Riven slots or trade limits. That's the most typical example I see.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PublikDomain said:

"Suspicious activity" would be like handing your wife a bunch of extra Rivens to hold on her account, and then her giving them back to you as you sell them. Stuff like that. A pattern of trading back and forth that looks like it's trying to bypass ingame limitations like Riven slots or trade limits. That's the most typical example I see.

and im assuming massive plat quantities also 

8 minutes ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

I've played on the same network as my spouse for 5+ years, both trading and gifting, and never had any issues.  As long as you're a different person than your wife and you both play on your own distinct accounts, you should be fine.

There are probably lots of examples of suspicious activity, but a big one I can think of would be if inputs from your account and your wife's account never happen at the same time...which might suggest that both accounts are actually being controlled by a single person.

This won't seem suspicious; DE has made it clear that they understand that people give their friends stuff for free all the time.

thank you, this does put my mind at ease knowing that others aren't having any issues 

13 minutes ago, LordLoki96 said:

and im assuming massive plat quantities also 

Small amounts would probably be fine, though I'm sure in either case DE would prefer your wife buy her own plat :P A pattern of frequently passing large amounts of plat around would probably look suspicious, but like they say they'll investigate before they do anything. And if they do think you're doing something wrong, you'd just have to show them that you're two different people.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, PublikDomain said:

Small amounts would probably be fine, though I'm sure in either case DE would prefer your wife buy her own plat :P A pattern of frequently passing large amounts of plat around would probably look suspicious, but like they say they'll investigate before they do anything. And if they do think you're doing something wrong, you'd just have to show them that you're two different people.

5 minutes ago, Tesla_Reloaded said:

It's better to avoid giving platinum. If your spouse needs something (slots, formas, etc.) - better buy it for her as a gift.

we dont plan on trading plat at all ive already told her that if she wants or needs plat then she should wait for a coupon then buy plat with that (preferably the 70% or 75%)
i just mentioned plat because i saw a post on reddit stating that trading large quantities of plat does seem suspicious 

1 hour ago, LordLoki96 said:

my wife has recently started playing Warframe, she made an account on our switch then made an account on my old laptop and merged it with that , my question is whether i´d be able to give her the extra mods and prime parts i´ve obtained throughout my playthrough without putting either of our accounts at risk (i know i cant trade with her whilst she´s on the switch) because we´re both on the same network, after submitting a ticket they said 

that is all fine and well but im not exactly sure what would count as "suspicious activity" and to me this would seem kind of suspicious since she wouldn't be giving me any plat for any of the prime parts or mods but probably an ammo drum or something and as for using the gifting system i don't think pc can gift switch players anything nor can i gift her prime parts and most mods.

Suspicious activity would likely be constituted if you were giving away a ton of stuff to a bunch of random people constantly effectively for free, since DE might think you're doing real money sales which I imagine is against TOS. They might suspect you're listing stuff for real money some where else, so the trades are effectively one sided.

I give away parts, whole sets, mods, and even platinum all the time to clan/alliance members simply because I've amassed more than I could ever reasonably spend, which just keeps going up, and I'm too lazy to be listing prime parts for relatively trivial amounts of platinum when a coworker or friend who's getting back into the game can use them. I imagine DE has probably seen it and realized its just charity. I wouldn't worry about it if your intentions are good, especially with an account you play with regularly. 500p to someone who has 30p matters a lot more than 500p when you have 30k or even 300k, especially when you can make more than that per week simply with riven sales. 

I'd say its even less suspicious if both accounts are coming from the same IP, since its most likely family/friends. There's nothing I'm aware of against TOS around being charitable, lol. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Agall said:

I'd say its even less suspicious if both accounts are coming from the same IP

i hope this is the case xD, im probably being over cautious is all my main worry is someone thinking her account is an alt because afaik interacting with your own alts is frowned upon (not sure why one would make alts considering theres so much to do with one account, more than one seems overwhelming)

9 minutes ago, Agall said:

I give away parts, whole sets, mods, and even platinum all the time to clan/alliance members simply because I've amassed more than I could ever reasonably spend, which just keeps going up, and I'm too lazy to be listing prime parts for relatively trivial amounts of platinum when a coworker or friend who's getting back into the game can use them

thats very kind of you, didnt know people even did that other than Streamers doing giveaways 

vor 2 Stunden schrieb LordLoki96:

definitely don't use a VPN when trading. and the safest way would actually only give away things from the official shop. so something like: buy Nautilus as a gift for your wife. because verglas is a game changer for new players at the beginning.

and in the forum for other languages there has already been a lot of discussion about how to "give away" between 2 accounts so that it looks like a "fair" trade. however, since I have no experience with it and don't want to do it, I can't say whether something like that is safe.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, LordLoki96 said:

i hope this is the case xD, im probably being over cautious is all my main worry is someone thinking her account is an alt because afaik interacting with your own alts is frowned upon (not sure why one would make alts considering theres so much to do with one account, more than one seems overwhelming)

thats very kind of you, didnt know people even did that other than Streamers doing giveaways 

Regarding alt accounts, I'm not sure how all that works to be honest. This is the only account I've ever made or used or will ever have in the 10.5 years I've played this game.

2 hours ago, (PSN)slightconfuzzled said:

Other people have already given excellent answers and examples already, but just to add in case it gives more reassurance. In my experience, the only people that usually have to actually worry about whats considered suspicious or shady activity, are people attempting to do suspicious and shady activity. 

Assuming your sincere, (which I personally do), then you and your wife should be set to go. 

I use to have to overseer certain aspects of user activity on a website, dealing with stuff like alt accounts, suspicious activity, etc Very very different from Warframe, but you might be surprised how many people pretend to have parents or children or siblings, just to try and find a way to bypass or exploit a system. 

There are going to be people who think creating alt accounts will let them have extra Rivens or potential to use Discount Vouchers to exchange Plat between accounts, or use it to gift their main account stuff etc. Their thought process might go something like... "Well DE can't seem into my home, how do they know I don't have 3 brothers who all play Warframe?" but its going to be pretty easy to tell something is shady if those three accounts don't actually play many story quests, do certain missions or content, and do certain other things most accounts may generally do, which they have a lot of data points of comparison. 

So like what are the odds that your wife only plays Warframe just to collect Rivens, for guns she doesn't own, and doesn't do much else, but also likes to trade them with you and hold them, and you two never actually play together either, or that she only logs in to get rewards and never plays much, but when she gets a 75% Discount voucher, decides to gift you stuff in exchange for Rivens, since you are at your cap. Like thats suspicious and odd, and then what will probably happen is your account may be flagged, and a real person will look at more specific and nuance comparisons. 

Like I probably engage in some relatively "shady" seeming stuff or the time, but when I say that, I mean like giving new players free stuff in exchange for fish, and one time a friend gave me like 1000 Plat because they quit the game permanently and I had helped them a bunch of the years. Except its not really shady in the sense, that DE knows that a lot of veterans give new players a lot of free stuff, and only want an ammo case or fish in return, and sometimes players just quit the game permanently and give away their junk, and since I know I am being legit, I don't need to stress or worry. 

Its a little bit like how some website security layers, actually have more to do with how a human hand moves a cursor around a website to check a box to indicate you are a human, than actually whether you check the box or not. Its because humans generally haves certain sincere inefficient muscle movements, so we have little wiggles and imprecise minute movements, aka we act natural. If you make a bot or program, they may lack such movements and thus can be flagged as shady. 

All the best to you! 

this makes a lot of sense, thank you :) 

• Like 1