The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

DOG DAYS 2024: The death of FOMO

Xefaconda

After a month-long elevator farm, we are once again graced by the Dog Days event.
Surely Dog Days has to be the least FOMO-inducing event in the history of gaming: abhorrent gameplay, long mission timers, cosmetic-only rewards and, to top it off, a putrid grind made worse each passing year.
No summer fun allowed in Warframe for another year it seems. At this point in time it's like Dog Days is a message to all registered losers: go play something else for a bit.
Destructive criticism aside, proposed changes below:

DOG DAYS PROPOSED CHANGES

• INCREASED PER MATCH FIXED NAKAK PEARL REWARD AMOUNT FOR EACH ARENA TO 25/50/75/100.
  • VARIABLE REWARD CHANGED TO 1 PEARL PER KILL, FOR THE WHOLE TEAM.
    • Rewarding kills does not help against leechers, instead it incentivises kill-stealing and stress during matches.
    • Also, the new 1 pearl reward on assists is not effective in practice, since all executioners are glass cannons and die instantly.
  • ADDED PERMANENT TUBE EPHEMERA.
  • ADDED LOB BLOBS THROWABLE WEAPON SKIN.
Edited by Xefaconda
  • Like 11

8 minutes ago, Xefaconda said:

At this point in time it's like Dog Days is a message to all registered losers: go play something else for a bit.

It's a silly joke gimmick gamemode, so if you were seriously trying so hard to farm it, then the joke is on you

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Pakaku said:

It's a silly joke gimmick gamemode, so if you were seriously trying so hard to farm it, then the joke is on you

Well thank you for adding nothing to the topic.

It surely was a silly joke gimmick gamemode the first time it came around. It is now the 6th time this event has returned.

The event is a slog to even get this year's rewards, let alone past year's cosmetics or Kela's mods. It's not so much as trying hard to farm it as it's the game asking you to play 10 hours of this to get the event rewards.

Dog days is an event that doesn't respect players' time: it's both unfun and unrewarding.

• Like 14

You can earn anywhere from 100-170 Nakak Pearls per run this time around. The event still isn't great, and I don't really like it, but there's nothing you can do to really make it "good" to be quite honest. I just spent about an hour a half to get all the new stuff and now I don't need to touch it. It's also around for 43 days, which is quite some time.

The only thing I could suggest to make it more fun for me personally is entirely rebalance the enemy health and damage, and let us use mods (no abilities still). Part of why this feels so dull to play is because you basically just pick a Warframe cosmetic loadout. The mode was alot more bearable when things like Garuda's passive, Vigorous Swap, or Aero Mods worked.

• Like 3

I didn't claim everything last time but i had the pearls, this means i essentially farmed 1 year in advance, so my sugestion is to take things slowly and once you have what you need, do a few extra missions in a casual way so you have pearls for 2025 dog days.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Voltage said:

You can earn anywhere from 100-170 Nakak Pearls per run this time around.

170 is a bit of an overshoot. Possible? Yes. Feasible? Not so much.
Most people in my matches are maxing around 30 kills, so maxing out at 100 per run. Better than last year for sure, but still quite low.

19 minutes ago, Voltage said:

The only thing I could suggest to make it more fun for me personally is entirely rebalance the enemy health and damage, and let us use mods (no abilities still). Part of why this feels so dull to play is because you basically just pick a Warframe cosmetic loadout. The mode was alot more bearable when things like Garuda's passive, Vigorous Swap, or Aero Mods worked.

Agree 100%, the mode has no fun in replayability because of this.

11 minutes ago, KIREEK said:

I didn't claim everything last time but i had the pearls, this means i essentially farmed 1 year in advance, so my sugestion is to take things slowly and once you have what you need, do a few extra missions in a casual way so you have pearls for 2025 dog days.

Yea, I agree. I already have everything and had some leftover pearls from last year, but still, the event lasting a long time and taking things slowly doesn't help with the root problem of the event being unfun and unrewarding, just makes it so that one doesn't feel burnt out from playing it as much.

• Like 5

I will complain to my dying breath on how UNFUN Dog Days is.

A complete slog of an event that removes most of what makes Warframe fun, with pathetic, grindy rewards, lame combat, garbage weapon, broken AI and constant nerfing of what made it fun or enjoyable to play.

The novelty of hearing Kela high on a gas leak stops being funny after the 50th time you do the same round against the same enemies so you can get a glyph.

It still takes far too long to end. 5 minutes of this is madness.
The weapon still loses pressure on the first shot, even if you preemptively pump it.
The shots have too many particles, blocking your view.
Some enemies downright VANISH and never find you again, either getting lost between rocks or not knowing how to navigate the map.
Some enemies still snake around you at lightspeed, so if you get Garesh you might as well restart.
Items still cost too many pearls, 250 for a glyph, that is about 3 to 8 rounds depending of your kills. A new player to the event still has to play LITERALLY HUNDREDS of rounds.
Kill stealing still enforced. In a PVE game.

And with the nerf of the end mission reward from 50 to 30 pearls, you are getting less pearls if you don't get more than 20 kills. Thats right!

Last year you got 50 pearls, then 20 from 20 kills = 70 pearls. If you got 10 kills last year, you would get 50 + 10, so 60.
Today, you get 30 pearls, then 40 from 20 kills = 70 pearls. If you got 10 kills today, you will get 30 + 20, so 50.

Unless you get more than 20 kills, you are getting less than last year. If you don't get the kills, you are getting less. If you get your kill stolen, you are still getting less.

"But its a silly event"

Its a silly event that got recycled SIX YEARS IN A ROW. And every year manages to make it one step better, but THREE STEPS WORSE.

"Play with a team and get more kills"

Oh, so to play the event "better", I just have to make 3 other players suffer. Yes, of course.

Faster movement? Fixed. A bit more damage? Fixed. Being able to have fun? Fixed. Getting an acceptable number of pearls as end reward? Fixed.
Expensive items? Not changed. Lame weapon? Not changed. Rounds taking twice as long as it should? Not changed. Weapon blocking your view with unreal amount of particles? Not fixed. Enemies being too lethargic or too coked up? Not changed.

Edited by MobyTheDuck
  • Like 8

Personally, I like dog days. It's a balanced tdm arena mode, and the bulk of rewards are just cosmetic or decorations so it's not like anyone should be treating it that seriously anyway? But idk, I like the snowball fight too

• Like 2

It's genuinely funny seeing the consistent hostile reactions to Dog Days, that presumably obly really came about due to them ignoring all feedback about the game mode for years after it released. 

And then trying to both treat it as a funny non-serious game mode but constantly balancing it like it's some important event.

In any case, the new version is substantially better than last time, and it's no contest. 

• Like 3