The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The New War is still hands-down the worst quest in the game

The game overall is going in a good direction nowadays, (except for releasing more and more OP things every time I guess), but that makes The New War's shame even worse. Not only you have put the new war before Zariman and steel path, so players have to do it really early on if they want some actual good guns and story, but you havent improved any of the worst aspects of the quest.

1) quest lock is still a thing. Why? Luckily I have more than 1 account so I can just peace out there and have some actual fun while the other account is locked in the hell TNW is.

2) Veso is still 100% random. There is no way in hell anyone can do the stage without watching a YT video about the Jackal fight, unless they press all the buttons in all directions. The game doesnt even tell you you can make shield drone follow moas or anything like that. I did this quest once before (when it launched) and I still had to watch the video again.

3) It's too long for a single sitting. This quest should either allow you to go back and forth between the universes (remove quest lock), or it should be segmented into several quests. Even the things I like about this quest I cant enjoy because Im so tired of everything I had to do. Besides, it would be far more logical to have each chapter be its own quest than mash them together like it is now, because they are so different and they already feel disconnected. Different characters, different gameplay, different requirements.

The only thing that has improved since release is that you made Kahl faster, and you deserve credit for that. GG.

Edited by MaxTunnerX
  • Like 5

• MaxTunnerX changed the title to The New War is still hands-down the worst quest in the game
9 minutes ago, Fallopia said:

I bet majority of players will disagree with You. New War is interesting quest.

It's like the recent Star Wars movies, grand and epic on the surface, a confused mess of tired tropes underneath.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Fallopia said:

New War is interesting quest.

Interesting? Yes. Fun? No. Its the longest quest in the game with completely different mechanics and you are forced to do it in one go, without any breaks (aside from just quitting the game). Not to mention quitting the game only makes the game take longer to put you back into the real part of the game so youre constantly frustrated. You either have to force-push through and not enjoy any second of it cause youre burned out, or take regular breaks and have it take hours (if youre hardcore) or days (if you are a casual who has to go to work or school or something) to complete. One option is worse than the other and it only shows once again, how stupid the quest lock is. If the only change about this quest was the quest lock, it would already be almost perfect.

Edited by MaxTunnerX
  • Like 2

So me and my Destiny 2 clanmates decided to do some steel path stands together just to have a good time while we chat.

One of them has to spend god know how many hours playing alone with this quest lock bs.

He tried to finish a few quests and uninstalled. Im not judging him for that. So we are playing Destiny 2 and forgot about warframe completely.

Idk why DE is doing this. This is against any business logic. No wonder they can't make any other successful game.

On 2024-07-25 at 11:17 AM, MaxTunnerX said:

1) quest lock is still a thing. Why?

Artificially-forced drama to make an average quest feel more important than it really is. It was funny on launch, but there really doesn't need to be a lock on it at this point of the game's lifespan

On 2024-07-25 at 11:17 AM, MaxTunnerX said:

The game doesnt even tell you you can make shield drone follow moas or anything like that. I did this quest once before (when it launched) and I still had to watch the video again.

Might be misremembering, but I'm pretty sure there's a part earlier in Veso's quest where you have to shield a MOA through an electric room or something like that. Jackal's fight is like a test of everything you learned to do up to that point, it's just too short to really learn all of quirks of the summons. And in the end it was all for nothing, because they never followed up with any Veso-style quests despite shoehorning the most boring Grineer character into a repetitive sidequest chain anyways

Edited by Pakaku
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Pakaku said:

Artificially-forced drama to make an average quest feel more important than it really is. It was funny on launch, but there really doesn't need to be a lock on it at this point of the game's lifespan

Might be misremembering, but I'm pretty sure there's a part earlier in Veso's quest where you have to shield a MOA through an electric room or something like that. Jackal's fight is like a test of everything you learned to do up to that point, it's just too short to really learn all of quirks of the summons. And in the end it was all for nothing, because they never followed up with any Veso-style quests despite shoehorning the most boring Grineer character into a repetitive sidequest chain anyways

Yeah, no Veso missions yet, but maybe there will be some, although after the Kahl fiasco I wouldnt be surprised if they completely dropped them. They are just hell-bent on making the non-tenno missions slow and boring and not fun and since the players (rightfully) hate that, they might rather drop them instead of making them fun and adding them. And you are right, there was this small segment with the small electro room, but if I remember correctly, that was also random and probably the reason why I didnt learn anything at all from it.

Edited by MaxTunnerX
  • Like 1

On 2024-07-25 at 7:17 PM, MaxTunnerX said:

There is no way in hell anyone can do the stage without watching a YT video about the Jackal fight

I didn't watch any YT videos. 

Just practise, it wasn't hard.

• Like 2

1. Quest locking isn't much of an issue since I normally breeze on through, but there's clearly a degree of programming mojo going on that prevents you from returning to how things were, namely the world state changes of both Cetus & Fortuna.
  2. I was a little stuck on that too, but managed to figure things out fairly quick. The only annoying fights for me were the Archons in Drifter form, with weak weapons & enemy health regeneration prolonging the experience.
  3. World state changes are the likeliest reason behind the finicky nature of the quest, but I also feel as though the pacing was just off. Whenever they show off cinematic quests, DE has this bad habit of showing off too much of the earlier portions. The jump from Kahl, Veso & Teshin remained unchanged from their reveal, and that definitely could have been handled better with additional cutscenes or gameplay segments. There was no buildup to the alliance, and previous events proved that such animosity persisted. There was no meeting between Parvos & the Worm Queen, which was an absolute waste.

Their "most ambitious quest" could've used more time in the oven, and the post-quest content was just so underwhelming in its entirety. There were obvious rewrites to the script, because everything involving Ballas & Natah's "relationship" felt off.

Totally agree it was way too long, unnecessarily long.  It just got absurd by the time we had to play Balloon Frogger in Cetus I was so over the quest I didn't read any dialogue or care about any lore missed, I just wanted it over.  I don't understand how anyone would say it was fun watching the Lotus turn into a crazed zombie then sucking the life out of someone to heal herself. In addition to the hours forced playing a middle aged powerless drifter that couldn't move fast enough so all you could do was roll around everywhere to stay alive...Super Fun...NOT!  I make sure to emphasize how long the Quest is and the Lock to any new player so they can be make sure they have the time and energy to complete it.  It should have been either dramatically shortened or broken up into 2 phases allowing players to take a mental break and time to shop at Barro or do a fissure to remind them what awaits them when they complete the New War slog.  Fun is hardly the word I would use to describe my personal experience with the New War Quest.

Have a pleasant tomorrow!

• Like 1

I hate it too. I am stuck at the moment and can't play the game because I choose to start the New War quest and it is too difficult for me to handle.

The game overall is going in a good direction nowadays, (except for releasing more and more OP things every time I guess), but that makes The New War's shame even worse. Not only you have put the new war before Zariman and steel path, so players have to do it really early on if they want some actual good guns and story, but you havent improved any of the worst aspects of the quest.

1) quest lock is still a thing. Why? Luckily I have more than 1 account so I can just peace out there and have some actual fun while the other account is locked in the hell TNW is.

2) Veso is still 100% random. There is no way in hell anyone can do the stage without watching a YT video about the Jackal fight, unless they press all the buttons in all directions. The game doesnt even tell you you can make shield drone follow moas or anything like that. I did this quest once before (when it launched) and I still had to watch the video again.

3) It's too long for a single sitting. This quest should either allow you to go back and forth between the universes (remove quest lock), or it should be segmented into several quests. Even the things I like about this quest I cant enjoy because Im so tired of everything I had to do. Besides, it would be far more logical to have each chapter be its own quest than mash them together like it is now, because they are so different and they already feel disconnected. Different characters, different gameplay, different requirements.

The only thing that has improved since release is that you made Kahl faster, and you deserve credit for that. GG.

THIS

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, miramiranda said:

I hate it too. I am stuck at the moment and can't play the game because I choose to start the New War quest and it is too difficult for me to handle.

THIS

RIP. So sad people still have to go through this. I give you all my wishes and blessings, so that you may emerge on the other side of this horrible thing before long.

Edited by MaxTunnerX

I liked the quest, but...
Illustratively, if Warframe is my day to day routine, then New War is like visiting my family out of state. Don't get me wrong! I love my family. But it's hard to feel happy about requesting PTO, booking tickets, packing, traveling, staying at my parent's house that's over 100 years old (I'm not lying, it was built before The Great Depression), dealing with family drama, being away from my cats, flying back, unpacking, and finally getting back into my routine. By the end I'm thinking: "I love you all, but let's not do this again..."

Being a solo player, I had fun. I won't get too much into it because of spoilers, but it was an adventure that gives me positive nostalgia when I think back on it. I could definitely see it being an entirely different experience for public players though. Most Warframe quests only cut you off from squad support for few missions; not days like New War.

From a technical viewpoint, I'm not sure if they could get rid of the lockout. So much of the environment and content is tied to the status of this quest. It's like a portal that transitions you from Warframe 1 to Warframe 2. It's surely possible, but it would require a full audit on the game's code and content. I doubt they'd spend resources on it.

• Like 1

Seemed fine to me, they do warn you about the length. It was a nice change of pace, and the potential it created for looking at the WF universe through new eyes is fantastic imo - even though they flubbed it with Kahl.

Edited by CrownOfShadows
  • Like 1

On 2024-08-06 at 6:30 PM, MaxTunnerX said:

RIP. So sad people still have to go through this. I give you all my wishes and blessings, so that you may emerge on the other side of this horrible thing before long.

:) I am soldering on; spent 2 h with just one third  of the Teshin part of questline. Absolutely horrible. Could not get the hang of the glaive movement system. Died or fell of the cliffs about 30 times. I finally done with that. Still hate it -...

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, miramiranda said:

:) I am soldering on; spent 2 h with just one third  of the Teshin part of questline. Absolutely horrible. Could not get the hang of the glaive movement system. Died or fell of the cliffs about 30 times. I finally done with that. Still hate it -...

Hahah yeah, the teshin part is one of the better parts, but the movement system is indeed very strange, You can get used to it after some time, but again, game never teaches you this before and you will never use this again (unless you make a new account and play the quest again), so another case of failed game design. Keep on pushing, It should only get better from now on.

Edited by MaxTunnerX

Posted (edited)
On 2024-08-07 at 2:40 AM, CrownOfShadows said:

they do warn you about the length.

Warning is pointless. This quest is essential and you cannot skip it, so sooner or later you have to play it, and then you will get locked in for who knows how many hours. The quest lock just makes no sense at all, we should be able to dip in and out as we please, just like we can do with literally every other quest regardless of how epic it is. Changing just this one single fact about the quest would make it so much better and bearable.

Edited by MaxTunnerX
  • Like 2

On 2024-07-25 at 10:17 AM, MaxTunnerX said:

You just order your shield drone to hover near the jackal then send your moa to it. and the game does teach you this earlier with a hackable console only your moa can reach that's blocked by an electric floor. It took me a while to work it out, but it's not that complicated and the game forces you to learn it organically before you reach that fight.

On 2024-07-25 at 10:17 AM, MaxTunnerX said:

It's setup that way because story wise, the system just being normal between sections of the quests doesn't make sense so it would be extremely immersion breaking. This is partly why the lock is there too, tho I do think they should strongly consider offering a way to back out of it. The length is not a bad thing tho. I don't see why anyone would think it is. That's just the experience of a typical story driven game. There's no reason you really need to do it in one sitting. They even made a cool custom login screen for the quest. I kinda wish you could opt into always having that login screen cus it's damn cool. This is just a you problem, Work on your attention span issues.

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, PollexMessier said:

It's setup that way because story wise, the system just being normal between sections of the quests doesn't make sense so it would be extremely immersion breaking. This is partly why the lock is there too, tho I do think they should strongly consider offering a way to back out of it. The length is not a bad thing tho. I don't see why anyone would think it is. That's just the experience of a typical story driven game. There's no reason you really need to do it in one sitting. They even made a cool custom login screen for the quest. I kinda wish you could opt into always having that login screen cus it's damn cool. This is just a you problem, Work on your attention span issues.

Sorry but it literally breaks no immersion. Especially not for the fanboys. They will never leave the quest because they want to be immersed, and thats OK of course, to each their own. I dont care about immersion and even if I did, it would not break any immersion for me. I felt just as immersed in other quests that are easily pausable. Forcing everyone to this "immersion" is just terrible. And yes there is a huge reason to do it in one sitting, YOU ARE BLOCKED FROM THE ENTIRE GAME UNTIL YOU FINISH IT. No chat, no plat, no dailies, no nigthwave, no sorties, absolutely nothing. The longer you spend in that crap quest the longer you are blocked from the actual game and the more profit you lose every second. For everyone with just one account thats sompletely fatal. I only didnt quit warframe altogether because I could still have fun in the actual game with my other account New war could have easily been made into a tab like duviri is.

Oh and one funny bit to end this all with, most people in the WF community who are against removing the lock are those who say "We were locked in that quest and we want the new players to suffer as much as we did", which is absolutely toxic and selfish. I was locked there too, now even twice, but I still want new players (or potentially me when I re-play WF again) to have a choice and to have actual fun.

Edited by MaxTunnerX
  • Like 1

On 2024-07-25 at 2:17 PM, MaxTunnerX said:

I don't care much the requirements myself... EXCEPT for the Necramech.
The actual section needing the mech feels tacked on, as if to require it for the sake of it.

Not to mention we have "Spare Necramechs" the player can use existing already.
If these "broken" versions can spawn in Condrix Railjack missions on Corpus ships? (without reason at that)
I THINK we can at least excuse needing a Necramech in New War. Make it recommended, but not required.

The Railjack being required feels a bit natural, really.
There's a lot of mechanics to it that you'd need to learn prior and the sections using it in combat would be a lot smoother with proper upgrades.
In that case? It makes sense for the Railjack requirement.

Also, the fact that they removed the Paracesis requirement for the quest because it was "too difficult for players to craft" was stupid back than.
... and it only gets stupider as time goes on with the Necramech spitting in that reason's face.
Especially because you use the Paracesis a LOT more and it has actual story relevance.

Maybe I'm just a clever thing, but I got it right away.

Though... there is the voice clips, on-screen prompts, environmental hints, etc. to go off of.
The Jackal fight culminates all three robots using tactics you used prior.
The Shield Osprey actually does get used on the Breacher MOA prior when it has to reach a access panel along an electrified floor.

This is why I hate it that you can often brute force past puzzles or tutorials. You get posts like this because they don't pay attention.
... and when people don't pay attention? It's often those who do which are the ones that ACTUALLY suffer.

Read. It won't kill you.

... I mean, to be fair-- they do give a warning prior to starting it saying "Hey, this'll take a bit."
If you didn't read that and simply looked for the access code to bypass the prompt? That's on you.

Now, what I will agree on is it feeling tiring.
Most players just got off the grind of the Necramech prior to starting this quest.
An infamous grind that has been nothing but one big glorified hurdle for the sake of it.
I doubt most players will have the patience left to figure out how the hell to do stealth sections. (Also because people are impatient fools.)

Different gameplay isn't always a bad thing-- hell, in Warframe? You kinda need it to prevent us from curb-stomping everything.
It's that a lot of what New War does is often feeling like a marathon for the sake of unlocking the next shiny thing.
When people are more fixated on getting over this hurdle of a quest, they're likely not going to stop try and piece together what this quest is doing.

Besides, it's not like the story is gonna make any more sense than it did prior to the quest.
Most new players will NEED a Wiki to make sense of half of the things in the story.
Seriously, try figuring out how Alad got cured from the Infestation PRIOR to the Mutalist schtick he went through.
You'll be no further than Neptune when you see him in that state in Second Dream, but you only unlock Mutalist Alad V after Pluto.

Overall, the whole quest is just a glorified roadblock that would've been a single boss in other games.

On 2024-08-01 at 11:53 AM, Fallosssss said:

Idk why DE is doing this.

They always hyperfixate on one particular objective and put everything else as secondary.
It's always because of someone calling the shots too.

With Steve, it was things like Specters of Liberty and it's PvP... or the lighting engine (which has become an inside joke all of it's own)... or questionable balance.
With Rebecca, it's shaping up to be "Accessibility" and big knockers (or fetish) on femme fatales.

The problem is that both try to do that and I think the only one of those that has been successful is the "big knockers" one.
... which isn't exactly difficult since this is the internet. EVERYONE is horny 24/7 and you're practically irrelevant if you don't play into that.

There is a damn good reason why it takes them ages to do anything worthwhile.
That same reason is also why quests like New War are in the state they are.

On 2024-08-03 at 4:29 AM, sinamanthediva said:

I don't understand how anyone would say it was fun watching the Lotus turn into a crazed zombie then sucking the life out of someone to heal herself.

Eh, considering how much of the trope "The Writer's Barely Disguised Fetish" crops up in Warframe?
I'd say someone on the team is into it.

If that's a good thing or not to have-- I can't say.
I can say it is jarring to see it in game and they could've done it other ways.

Hell, I'm getting really tired of this game trying to narrate a "romance" kinda subplot when it barely tries to go any further than "SMOOCHIES"
... or whatever tag they found on R34 this time.

Seriously, almost all of the "relevant" characters that come to mind are focused on some kinda relationship. Be it familial or romantic.

• Lotus was- and still is- a cardboard cutout of a mother figure.
    • About as much actual personality as unflavored tofu with the plot relevance of a Mary Sue.
    • The only people who care about her will stare at her chest/butt and not her face.
  • All of the Warframe quests are one-time-character scenarios.
    • I'll be surprised if they ever bring back Rell in a future quest.
    • Otherwise, all of those respective quests could have a sack of flour with a crudely drawn face on it and it'd function the exact same way.
  • The Operator is canonically too young to have any of that and by proxy the Drifter as well. (Thanks temporal shenanigans!)
    • Oh, but don't worry guys. "Lotus is my mommy" is absolutely a great personality trait if we wedge it in there hard enough.
    • I'm sure it'll go over. It's not like every player will mute their fleshy humanoid the second it speaks at all.
  • Maroo and Varzia are fine, but they're side-characters. Same goes for a lot of other characters that don't exactly show in quests.
    • And hell, I only mentioned Maroo because she shows up in ONE quest.
    • One of which can be taken out of Warframe entirely by now and nobody would even know.
  • Parvos came off as a major creep with Protea.
    • There is no explanation for his fixation either, which only makes it worse.
    • I mean, besides treating her like an idol because he managed to diplomatically wrestle the Orokin into making her.
      • Which honestly makes her more a trophy to Parvos than anything else, which is "probably healthy"... truly.
    • But hey, on the bright side? At least we all know Parvos is a villain, right? ... RIGHT?!
  • The Worm Queen is an actual cannibal.
    • I normally wouldn't put that here, but I know too many people into "vore"-- so I would not put it past DE to make a quest based on that.
    • HEY, HEY HEY HEY-- PUT THAT PENCIL REB DOWN. NO. BAD. *Spray bottles.*
  • Jade Shadows is a fanfic and that quest would've been better as a non-canon "what-if" scenario in Stalker's head if all else.
    • I'm not even going to attempt to make a reason as to why.
    • I'm just going to gesture at the "Pregnancy Minigame" and let that do all the explaining for me in it's extremely jarring fashion.
    • I still am in shellshock that it even happened. This is something a company with full control over their game actively CHOSE to do.
  • Ballas and Lotus have as much chemistry as I do patience with Warframe's lore. (I am going to strangle someone if Warframe 1999 doesn't do it's job.)

Honestly, a lot of the more "interesting" characters are- coincidentally enough- the ones that ignore these stupid "romance" subplots or fanfic materials.

• Cephalon Ordis is a polarizing one, but he has stuck through to be an important character without needing a pair of chest orbs to be interesting.
    • Also arguably more of a parental figure than Lotus has ever been.
    • Oh and he does this without the need to be constantly wedged into the story. When he does his job, he DOES his job.
  • Cephalon Cy's dry humor is a great commanding force, he's naturally fit to be a navigator and it shows whenever he's on screen.
    • Hell, the section of New War where he goes "Tenno, on your six" actually had me smile.
    • Considering my Railjack is also named "The Great Fox Mk.III", I had Starfox Zero's OST: Sector Omega playing in my head during the entire chase!
  • Darvo and Clem are the dynamic duo that give the "Silly Lackey" energy, contrasting a lot of Warframe's grimdark state.
    • ... and the best part? It's not in-your-face about it either. It's a completely optional side-quest that has you doing a favor for a silly guy to help another silly guy.
    • They crack jokes with some unusual mannerisms that feel refreshing. It's comic-relief and the game knows that.

But sadly, those characters are far and few between. Either being remote and barely relevant at best or simply the rare exception.

DE just seems to have a knack for making creeps into characters. I'd have to wager it's something to do with their company's inner-workings.
Though, if you want some homework? Just look into what certain prior employees have done. You may find one not allowed near any horse ranches ever again for example.

12 minutes ago, MaxTunnerX said:

and the more profit you lose every second.

0r5PdhlKAGJrCofQAYr49ObVgOy7WRTxB4TxQXma

Corpus moment.
Yes, this particular reply doesn't add much-- but it was too much of a jab to pass up.

• Like 1

Since I am stuck in New War questline and unable to finish it I am thinking about getting a second account and play on that. The problem is that I invested so many hours (1311 h) and SO much money (on plats and frames) on my first account, and I really don't think I would enjoy having to grind (and pay) for exactly everything one more time. Also, I am quite angry with the devs at the moment for deciding that we cannot delete/revert the NW quest and go back to where we were before we started. I really don't understand why....

Edited by miramiranda
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, miramiranda said:

Since I am stuck in New War questline and unable to finish it I am thinking about getting a second account and play on that. The problem is that I invested so many hours (1311 h) and SO much money (on plats and frames) on my first account, and I really don't think I would enjoy having to grind (and pay) for exactly everything one more time. Also, I am quite angry with the devs at the moment for deciding that we cannot delete/revert the NW quest and go back to where we were before we started. I really don't understand why....

I get you man. Well it all depends on you. Do you want to play warframe or not? If you want to play warframe, then make a new account and have some fun, get to new war later when you regenerate your mental powers. If not, just quit warframe altogether for some time and finish the new war when you get back in a few weeks/months. Of course the memory of new war might make you not want to come back again, so maybe create a new account anyway, so your warframe game isnt tied only to the afflicted account. Also as far as I know there is a mechanism to merge accounts, so once youre done with the new war, you can merge the 2 accounts into one and even take mastery points from that. And even if it doesnt work that way, you can just delete it once you finish the quest.

As for me, I created the second account because the game content kept getting more and more boring and grindy. Find 11 million random things on this map, talk to these 5 new guys, max them, go to level 999 area for several hours to get that and repeat all of this with +100 level next month with new update.

Starting fresh was one of the best things I have done. I had so much fun with the original quests that I completely forgot about cause I did them several years ago (and that I couldnt enjoy because I was struggling to stay alive, not having proper gear and stuff). I saw the pieces of the lore fit together etc. Its really like new game+, your character is new, but the knowledge remains and you kick a55 since day 1. You know ESO, you know Index, you know circuit. Man it felt so great to pick volt as my first frame this time, knowing how bad the game was for me the first time by picking excalibur and knowing how good volt is for pretty much all missions.

Also you can ignore mastery ranks after 15 or 16 and you can only get weapons and frames that you care about, compared to the standard main account where you need to own and max everything. This will also save you a lot of plat for slots. The only bad thing about a new account is that you dont get primed sure footed as its a login and untradeable reward and that your daily reward boosters are much shorter cause of MR, but thats it. Everything else is a big plus. Keep in mind we also got some QoL updates that make the game much better regardless of old/new account and that some things in the game were reworked to help new accounts grind less. Its a completely different game, but at the same time just as good as it used to be. Fascinating.

Edited by MaxTunnerX
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, MaxTunnerX said:

Sorry but it literally breaks no immersion. Especially not for the fanboys. They will never leave the quest because they want to be immersed, and thats OK of course, to each their own. I dont care about immersion and even if I did, it would not break any immersion for me. I felt just as immersed in other quests that are easily pausable.

It breaks immersion because the entire system gets taken over by Narmer and there's a large portion of the quest where your tenno is trapped in the void, you don't have access to your warframe, ext. Other quests don't have this sort of system-wide impact or directly affect what you have available to you. It kills the stakes if you can just pause and go do something else like nothing happened. But I did agree a way to back out of it is a good idea, as long as players understand that by doing so you're returning to a previous point in time before you started the quest. It would have been cool to have access to a narmer conquered star chart in the brief period between you regaining access to your gear and finishing the mission. But that's literally one mission away from clearing the quest so it's a bit pointless.

10 hours ago, MaxTunnerX said:

And yes there is a huge reason to do it in one sitting, YOU ARE BLOCKED FROM THE ENTIRE GAME UNTIL YOU FINISH IT. No chat, no plat, no dailies, no nigthwave, no sorties, absolutely nothing. The longer you spend in that crap quest the longer you are blocked from the actual game and the more profit you lose every second. For everyone with just one account thats sompletely fatal. I only didnt quit warframe altogether because I could still have fun in the actual game with my other account New war could have easily been made into a tab like duviri is.

A couple days isn't going to kill your progress in the game. Sorties are pretty damn unrewarding anyways. and eventually you'll cap out your rep with all the factions all the same. It's not like you were getting max daily rep with all of them every day anyways... at least I hope not for your mental health. Nightwave lasts far longer than you would ever reasonably need to complete it. You can get away with doing maybe just 2 tasks a week and still probably clear it months in advance. and old challenges get restored when you clear the current ones so it's not like you're actually losing anything but the minuscule payout of the daily challenges which are barely even worth looking at and more of just a "you can clear these while you're doing the other challenges for an extra little bonus if you feel like it" sort of thing. The only other thing is Focus, and if you're maxing out focus every day you might have a severe addiction problem. I used to feel like the game was practically forcing me to play it regularly to keep up. But after I stopped, I realized it's not really that bad. The game can wait for you, you're not missing out on nearly as much as you might think you are. The only really infuriating thing to miss would be a Baro visit that happened to bring something good. It'll come again but there's not really any way to know when which is the frustrating part. But that comes down to a lack of foresight on the person that starts the quest the day before Baro shows up.

You have me really concerned by using the term "profit" to refer to your progress in the game... like, are you playing just to sell your account? You know you're really not allowed to do that right? wtf does "profit" mean? Just play the game to have fun.

Also the quest is the actual game. I don't understand this mindset of the new war just being an entirely separate experience from warframe. It is warframe. This is the main quest. It's not unique for games to put you in a state where you're locked out of gear and other parts of the game for a period of time to complete a main story quest. Example from a popular open world borderline sandbox game being the Thalmor Embasy in Skyrim where you have to give away your inventory except a select few pices of gear and get locked in a stealth infiltration mission until you complete it. But this specific set of circumstances actually happens in a ton of games. Games do this. It's part of the game. Just take your time and have fun, don't worry about all these stupid timers ticking away in the background that don't actually matter. And yes in Skyrim and a lot of other games you can just reload to a previous save if you want to. Again I'm not disagreeing that a way to back out of the quest is a good thing.

Edited by PollexMessier

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, PollexMessier said:

wall of text

Let me just say this, players should have a choice. If you like being immersed in a war that only takes place for as long as you play the quest and has literally no impact on the world afterwards, other than ruining fortuna to not even be a proper snow biome anymore, thats your choice, do it your way. I would definitely go the other way though. And thats all Im asking, give players the choice, dont force them. Call it cinematic mode and normal mode or whatever and let the players decide. Just look at kuva lich system. Its painful and takes hours for untrained players, but guess what, they can ignore the lich for as long as they like and only do 1 lich mission per day if they decide so. Or maybe more than that, or maybe 0. Its a bad system that you cant quit, but you arent forced to do it by any means, and thats how TNW should be. Just making this one simple change will make the quest so much better, devs can even ignore all the other flaws of it.

PS All I meant by "profit" was that instead of being locked in the new war I could have farmed plat for which I would then buy better mods and become stronger. Or farmed whatever else I wanted to farm, which is most often time-based and on rotation so I cant do that anytime I want + baro, alerts etc. Thats all I meant by it. And one day in warframe is a veeeery long time. If you compared my character from yesterday and today, you wouldnt even think they were the same.

Edited by MaxTunnerX
  • Like 2