Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Are We Ever Going To Get Unique Weaponry?

Luminati07

Over the last few months, apart from clantech weapons, what have we seen?

Cernos - A reskinned bow with some different damage values.

Vectis - A reskinned sniper rifle with less ammo and different damage values.

Tigris - See above.

Soma - Another assault rifle with different values

Ballistica - Haven't used this one yet. From what I understand, it's one of the more unique weapons in the game.

Galatine - See above.

Magnus - See above

The weapons are all so 'same-y', most are just being used for mastery then being sold.

The extremely boring weaponry that DE is constantly releasing can only go so far. (especially if they're charging upwards of $15 for some of these things)

If anything's going to keep me interested in the game, it's these things:

1. New tilesets

2. My clan

3. Weaponry that is fun to use.

As it stands, the first 2 are keeping me here (A forest tileset will keep me here for a while).

Weaponry? Boring as hell.

Barely anything is interesting to use (not including clantech weapons here)

I come from games like Unreal Tournament, where every gun feels completely different, and are genuinely fun to use.

(Alternate fire modes made it 50x better)

The Shock Rifle was unbelievably fun to use. And it felt completely different to the other precision rifle, the Sniper Rifle.

Let's look at the Warframe automatic rifles/Assault rifles

MK-1 Braton

Braton 

Braton Vandal

Soma

Grakata

Is there a single difference between any of those that isn't a stat change?

You can add damage, add status chance, add critical chance or critical damage all you like.

These weapons will become extremely stale (they already are)

I'd rather DE spends 2-3 weeks making a single weapon that is truly unique, rather than churning out this crap every week.

I dunno. I'm just getting really sick of the so called "reinforcements" that DE keeps releasing. They aren't interesting in the slightest, and they still charge $15 for them in the market.

Thoughts?

I'll happily write up a section in Weapon Feedback or Fan Concepts if people want me to write up what I mean by 'unique'.

Thread is in progress. It's taking an extremely long time to type up. (You'll see why when it's posted)

Edited by Nugget_

The ballistica doesn't belong on the list. Really neither does tigris, both have unique unto themselves mechanics. Also a whip was released.

DE spends closer to a month+ with each weapon, from what I can tell thanks to the design council.

There was a rocket propelled hammer or some such, grineer design, that is on the way eventually, too. Steve showed it a tiny bit in a live stream.

Why not wright that section? Constructive critiscm is always good. It seems like iteration has been the focus, for the most part.

With melee it's pointless to consider until it is reworked.

Edited by Rajko

Agreed. We need more unique weapons, like Ballistica.

DE should start by reworking some of the weapons that we currently have, though.

The Miter especially has a lot of potential. I saw a thread a few hours ago suggesting that the blade spins outside of the chassis while the LMB is held, functioning as it does now otherwise. The spinning blade deals continuous damage to anything touching it, acting as a chainsaw of sorts.

In my opinion, they need to get rid of this Primary, Secondary, and Melee weapon slot business. Let us just pick three weapons. That will open up new combination of weapons.

I had the idea of a brass knuckle weapon that had a secondary function that "threw" laser projectiles. I realised that its basically just Kunai and Kogake. And I honestly think that's the limiting factor here. They have to make weapons that fit a certain role without any secondary unique property, you know?

I find that the glaive was a really cool idea because you can throw it or bash faces with it (Although throwing it is the better option), but what was the point of that secondary function if they want us to use it as a throwing weapon. 

I would kinda like to see a scythe and chain weapon, to be honest. It would have the same mechanics of Rip Line. Look up Vella's chain blades from vindictus if you don't get it.

Ballistica is the ONLY unique weapon in the arsenal, and even then it's not that unique. I was playing R&C Nexus yesterday (got it for free, so I figured I'd try it) and the weapons are all unique. The shotgun makes people you shoot float in the air for a few seconds, then turns them into projectiles while dealing damage, tell me that's not unique?

The only way Tigris is unique is by the trigger system, and here's what I have to say to that

uniquefork.jpg

Ballistica is kind of awkward and clunky, so is the tigris. 
It feels almost as though the more unique a weapon is, the less DE pays attention to its actual useability. 
And guys, just because the Lecta is a whip, does not make it unique. It functions just like any other melee weapon.
Nugget is talking about weapons that function differently from each other, not look differently from each other.

Edited by LukeAura

Vectis - A reskinned sniper rifle with less ammo and different damage values.

Tigris - See above.

Ballistica - Haven't used this one yet. From what I understand, it's one of the more unique weapons in the game.

Galatine - See above.

Vectis - only bolt action sniper rifle in the game

Tigris - Double barrel shotgun. lower the reload time on this and its alot of fun, first is fired on mouse down, next on release of mouse, alot of fun and practice

Ballistica - Very unique and alot of fun, again two unique ways of shooting the same weapon

Galatine - I prefer attack speed so i dont use this much but it has the highest charge time and to compensate the most damage and very satisfying numbers go flying when you swing it

I dont understand how these aren't unique

Plus you left the brakk out, that pocket monstrosity

Lecta albeit can be a bit difficult to use but again, it is alot of fun and very unqiue from all the other weapons

its a whip. How many whips do we have?

By unique, I don't mean a new model with its own animations.

In the end, the Lecta is no more unique than a longsword. It's either spam E or hold E.

I'm not going to reply to you after this. I've been here long enough to know it won't lead anywhere good.

i... do agree, yes. 

a lot of our 'new' equipment, is quite similar to past equipment. 

can we not have similar weaponry? absolutely not the case. but only that? a bit stale.

don't get me wrong though! the weapons all look beautiful (except the excessive blades on the backside of Cernos, the rest of that Bow looks fine).

but it's the way they operate, that perhaps is... quite similar. 

'hey, i think i've used this weapon before, just slightly different'. 

and, yeah, the cycle on these Weapons could be not as bulldozer forward no reverse, and result in a better response from said weapon, more players using it (which is what you're looking for, so).

and we don't even need a new weapon every 10 minutes to get players excited. improving those existing weapons, will do the same thing, and players will still spend money, which is what the entire point is. sure, a few people always buy 'the new thing' with Platinum, but i'm sure you guys are aware that the majority would rather Build it. 

therefore, making a player want to spend Forma on a new weapon, or an existing one, results in the same.

The only way Tigris is unique is by the trigger system, and here's what I have to say to that

ugh, yes. that trigger is unique, but that's not a good thing. i admit, with one button for aim, and one for shoot, a weapon that can fire one or both barrels, is difficult to create. then... perhaps it's just better to make it always fire both barrels, for the ultimate pellet cloud. 

In my opinion, they need to get rid of this Primary, Secondary, and Melee weapon slot business. Let us just pick three weapons. That will open up new combination of weapons.

I had the idea of a brass knuckle weapon that had a secondary function that "threw" laser projectiles. I realised that its basically just Kunai and Kogake. And I honestly think that's the limiting factor here. They have to make weapons that fit a certain role without any secondary unique property, you know?

I find that the glaive was a really cool idea because you can throw it or bash faces with it (Although throwing it is the better option), but what was the point of that secondary function if they want us to use it as a throwing weapon. 

I would kinda like to see a scythe and chain weapon, to be honest. It would have the same mechanics of Rip Line. Look up Vella's chain blades from vindictus if you don't get it.

Because the Glaive is based on the original... duh..

DarkSector0028--article_image.jpg

Ballistica is the ONLY unique weapon in the arsenal, and even then it's not that unique. I was playing R&C Nexus yesterday (got it for free, so I figured I'd try it) and the weapons are all unique. The shotgun makes people you shoot float in the air for a few seconds, then turns them into projectiles while dealing damage, tell me that's not unique?

uniquefork.jpg

We have tenno who do that... Her name is Nova... Did you know she turns enemies into bombs?

I am sure someday in the future a Tenno will have the power to enchant weapons with status effect, and that will turn enemies into projectiles. You never know. Leave powers to Tenno.

The Ballistica isn't anything special. It's basically just a Paris with a funny normal fire mode. As far as I know, nobody uses the normal fire mode anyways, so it just ends up a Paris with a ton of spare ammo.

Anyways, Tigris was a pretty nice idea, with its unique firing mode, however, its stats aren't that nice. It should've been a Puncture weapon, so that its slow firing would complement the slugging fire fights you usually get against Grineer. Maybe faster reload speed, too. With such a low magazine, a 1 second reload speed would've been perfectly appropriate.

The Cestra was the first real minigun. And not only that, it's a sub-minigun, which is pretty nice. Sure, it functions really similarly to the Supra, but its more accurate, and can even be used accurately, shooting once at a time, unlike the Supra.

From what I hear, the Lecta was kind of a failure, though. Its best feature is the electric damage, to combine into Magnetic or Corrosive damage, two of the best elements in the game. However, it seemed to have pretty poor handling as a melee weapon, similar to the slow, clunky swings of the Machete Wraith.

EDIT: Here's an idea for a unique melee weapon that I've wanted to see for a while: a wave sword. Exactly what it sounds like, a sword that emits energy waves as it swings. The normal attack should be fast and weak, mostly diagonal, similar to the Zorens maybe, so you can send out a constant stream of waves against the enemy. Then, the charge attack about as slow as a heavy weapon, but sends out a hard hitting, horizontal wave that can really scythe through enemies as it flies. Similar to the Glaive series and Kestrel, it would trade off some damage for its range, maybe somewhere around the dual swords for charge attacks, and similar to gauntlets or Zorens for normal attacks.

Would it necessarily be balanced? Likely not. Would it be unique? Hell yeah, it'd probably end up my favorite melee weapon just for the cool factor of it.

Edited by nintega

uniquefork.jpg

+1, trigger mechanics =/= unique weapon. Unique animations =/= unique weapon.

I personally want to see the next whip's charge attack stun and then drag an enemy as long as you hold e (or a simple knockdown if you hold e then let go), why? Because of how it changes your play. Instead of holding e/mashing e, you can use it to knock targets down and pull them in close (good for capture targets, or melee frames)

I was so disappointed by the lecta, it's not a tazer, the current tazers we have are like, a million times better because they actually stun people when you taze them.

We have tenno who do that... Her name is Nova... Did you know she turns enemies into bombs?

I am sure someday in the future a Tenno will have the power to enchant weapons with status effect, and that will turn enemies into projectiles. You never know. Leave powers to Tenno.

Frames are.... somewhat unique, weapons are not. And this is about weapons, not frames.

Edited by KvotheTheArcane1

weapons with really unique ways of firing are not easy to make. they could make mods that really change how weapons work, but nothing else.

but i want to point out something.

you say, as an example, the cernos is just a reskinned bow with different damage values.

well, it has different attack speed values and a new sound. it´s a bow. there isnt much they can do (well, they could buff it). plus, it was meant to be the anti corpus bow, not much you can actually do.