Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Weapons 2.0 - Overhauling The Boring And Generic Gunplay Of Warframe

Luminati07

I am a major fan of the melee ideas...all of them... I love the diversity of the firearms as well. I just may not use all of the options...at first. The option to do so is what counts in my opinion. The flipside is that the A.I./animations must then be revamped to accompany the new changes but lets be honest any additions to the A.I system would be welcomed with open arms. It is a lot of work...I wonder what warframe will look like in June....

I enjoyed the Paris and the Dread but the lack of variety between themselves and Cernos means I'll only pick up the Cernos for mastery points which is quite sad. I love the Idea of giving them some character with alt fire rather than this one has slightly more slash or this one has slight more impact.

I could see one of the bows having a small range cone attack, spraying out arrows.

Giving this a bump in relation to the release of the AkMagnus.

Ok, I'm starting to get pretty sick of this.

I get that players love using 2 guns.

But, why does almost every single damn pistol need a dual version??

It's doing absolutely nothing for weapon variety. ESPECIALLY when the 'Ak' version basically just blows the single one out of the water.

AkLex (completely unnecessary)

Afuris

Twin Vipers

AkMagnus

AkVastos

These are a pretty huge contributing factor when it comes to the variety of weapons lacking so much.

Why even release the single version? What reason do I have to use the Vasto instead of the AkVastos?

It's at the point where guns are there for the sake of being there.

They don't add anything to gameplay, and are just used for mastery fodder (Which also shows the fundamental flaw of the mastery system)

DE, I beg you, please stop with this. It's just.....No words. My words have failed me.

• 1 month later...

Ok, so I know that this is a pretty hefty necro. Sorry in advance!

DE seems to be stepping up their game in terms of weaponry, though, some guns are still completely uninspired. (Stilettos for example)

This necro is mainly in response to the Livestream's discussion on Tenno Reinforcements, however, weapon variety is still a fairly large issue (at least to me) so this thread still holds relevance.

Rebecca: S.Fayden asks what do you fellows have planned about future Tenno Reinforcements? There has been a lot of disdain in the community about the over-saturation of new weapons that are being adding so frequently, as well as concerns about the growing trend of these weapons being purchasable clantech. I was curious if what you folks thought about this whole situation and what you are all intending on doing.

Sheldon: One would be that Wednesday had no new weapon and currently we're not planning on doing a Tenno Reinforcement next week.

Scott: Basically instead of doing a weapon every week we're taking some of the resources and adding new customization, armor, dangles, etc. So instead of reinforcement, here's the new customization.

Sheldon: At the same time a lot of people like the weapons so we have to balance it out.

Scott: We're branching out and growing the portfolio.

Should I call this a victory?

Bit early to say.

Seems like DE is finally, after 110+ weapons, realising that spewing out a generic gun every week to act as mastery fodder is not the way to go.

I'm interested to see how long this point of view holds up.

My faith isn't exactly at a high point.

I think that we'll see fewer weapons released for a short time, then the surge of dull weaponry will make a return.

Some of the changes here are incredibly drastic, but it's obvious what you're trying to push for.

Thanks.

I know they're drastic, but drastic is what needs to happen imo.

Gun design isn't going to go anywhere if DE isn't willing to seriously break away from the mold.

Now I'm wondering whether we should need an item to unlock these unique firing mechanics.

Mods that support alterier Gameplay styles is great. but if it's going to use a Mod slot - that style change needs to be very significant. 

for the sake of balance (so default style and alternate style 1 and 29 are all still equally usable), it might be better for it to simply be a preference change though.

if default shoots bullets, alternate 1 shoots bigger bullets and the occasional rock, and alternate 2 are homing death lasers - we'll have failed to create alterior play styles, simply made everyone upgrade their gun twice. such playstyle changes need to be significant enough to bother, but not so different that they are just outright better.

Now I'm wondering whether we should need an item to unlock these unique firing mechanics.

I personally think no, but what do you think?

To me, I'd rather every single weapon have its own alternate fire mode that is unlocked and usable by default. No nonsense gating such as a mod/item or a level requirement.

However, I wouldn't be against items that change that alternate fire significantly. 

Not mod cards though. I think the mod card system is fundamentally flawed, and needs to be changed before I even start talking about alt fire mods.

Kinda saw this abit late, but I have to say, the idea of having these alternate idea modes would not only add variety to gunplay, they sound like a really fun idea overall! 

If DE is considering these at all, I hope they would make it clear. I will buy (as many of the future) Prime Access packs (as I can afford to) if they make the game truly a bundle of fun again.

Edited by kaboomonme

To be honest, I was expecting ye olde shock rifle combo from either Synapse, Flux RIfle, or Lanka.

Honestly, I would love a new weapon that could fit into the current mechanics that was very simply the old shock rifle. Just clicking fire like a semi automatic gives the old hitscan primary fire, while holding it down will charge up the orb which can be shot with the primary fire for some good old combo action.

To be honest, I was expecting ye olde shock rifle combo from either Synapse, Flux RIfle, or Lanka.

Honestly, I would love a new weapon that could fit into the current mechanics that was very simply the old shock rifle. Just clicking fire like a semi automatic gives the old hitscan primary fire, while holding it down will charge up the orb which can be shot with the primary fire for some good old combo action.

If they added something similar to the Shock Rifle, I'd hate for the secondary fire to be a charge. Just saying.

needs to be added in, as gun play is pretty boring as is and is separated from warframe abilities like curd in milk, but with these ideas synergy will be really interesting between frames and weapons (though some inter frame synergy would be appreciated as-well) almost adding a fine meta level of game play to the mix, getting rid "use ability and then shoot until ded"

so what are your ideas on the slew of new(hehe, rhymes) weapons including the:

-stug

-jat kittag

-scoliac

-magistar

-detron

-marlok

-grinlok

-tysis

-castanas

-dual cestra

-embolist

-miter

-penta

-karak

-tetra

-phage

-akstilleto

just thought i would save everyone the hassle of researching this, that it unless you already had in which I'll just get rid of this

Edited by AdmiralAvalanche

so what are your ideas on the slew of new(hehe, rhymes) weapons including the:

-stug

-jat kittag

-scoliac

-magistar

-detron

-marlok

-grinlok

-tysis

-castanas

-dual cestra

-embolist

-miter

-penta

-karak

-tetra

-phage

-akstilleto

just thought i would save everyone the hassle of researching this, that it unless you already had in which I'll just get rid of this

It's hard for me to provide a solid point of view on most of these, as I haven't used several of them.

Some of them will be going off what friends/clanmates have told me, or what I have read on the forums.

1) Stug - Haven't used it yet

2) Jat Kittag - Haven't used it yet

3) Scoliac - Haven't used it yet. But, I can't imagine it being much better than the Corpus Whip (Lecta?), which was one of the worst weapons to ever be added to Warframe

4) Magistar - Haven't used it yet. But I can't imagine it being unique to the other scores of melee weapons.

5) Detron - Haven't got it yet. 

6) Maralok/Grinlock - Haven't used either, but it seems like yet another boring weapon.

7) Tysis - Haven't used it yet

8) Castanas - A tonne of fun to use.

9) Cestra - Absolutely horrible

10) Dual Cestra - Nothing but a useless weapon added as mastery fodder.

11) Embolist - Haven't bothered to craft it yet

12) Miter - Fun for the first 30 minutes, feels terrible and boring to use at any point after that.

13) Penta - Pretty fun to use. I wanted to make traps with it, but the unpredictable nature of the bounces made that very difficult. One of the better guns in the game.

14) Karak - Nothing but yet another generic gun.

15) Tetra - Haven't used it, but from what I understand, it's just another boring, generic gun used for mastery fodder.

16) Phage - Haven't used it yet

17) Akstiletto - As I understand it, these are nothing but another generic sidearm.

Obviously there are a lot of weapons I've yet to use (mainly because getting the motivation to start the launcher feels like nothing but a chore at this point), but it seems DE is stepping it up a bit.

However, it seems like with every unique weapon, we get 3 more horrible, generic weapons that serve no purpose other than to provide points for the mastery system (which I absolutely hate)

Edited by Nugget_

Ignis

Devastation

Use an entire magazine to call forth a massive fire blast.

Obliterates everything in your path. Has a fairly substantial range.

Uses an entire magazine. Heats up your weapon like crazy. Disables your weapon for 10 seconds. Also has a 1 minute cooldown.

http://youtu.be/9eoGnkCG_UI

Even though video is buggy as hell, it's the best I could find, and damn it fits. Loved that gun.