Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dera Blasts Don't Make Sense...

sp4rtan148

The Dera is not a rail gun. it is a Plasma rifle. 

As stated by someone who commented here saying it's more like the halo plasma rifle, but I cunningly Proved him otherwise :D

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/145024-dera-blasts-dont-make-sense/?p=1718556

And here's what I said:

No it doesn't because the plasma rifle acts the same way, it doesn't fire 2 bolts, it fires 1 through the channel of 2 barrels, see below.

p5ly.png

Edit: same with plasma pistol shots.

0obh.png

Edited by sp4rtan148

Since we based the Dera's logic to ninja-in-spaaaaaace way of thinking, it's actually doesn't matter if it doesn't make sense...

That's just it, the Dera is nothing like a rail gun. If you want to compare it to a Halo weapon, the Plasma Rifle is the most similar analogue it has. The Dera isn't a slow charging, hard hitting gun that works with magnetic rails, that's likely how the Lanka operates. The Dera shoots lasers/plasma bolts. And it likely has two barrels to help with heat dispersion or to increase rate of fire, or something.

Sorry, but I can't say it enough. Dera ISN'T a rail gun.

Iv'e always questioned the day the dera fired 2 continuous blasts, it never made sense to me, so iv'e made a sh!tty MS paint picture to help explain what i'm talking about. First of all, there is no way for the blasts to come out of the 2 ends on the dera, and it would make more sense if it just came out of the middle of the gun, looking at the halo 4 railgun, the spin-up charge for the gun appears to be where the dera's should be. Think of it as, the 2 "teeth" looking parts in the mid-section of the dera is where both positive (top) and negative (bottom) fuse together to create a pulse of energy at a strangely fast fire rate. Here is the picture.

I                                                                                  I                                                                      I

I                                                                                  I                                                                      I

\/                                                                                 \/                                                                     \/

zyk5.png

Both of the reason are sound enough, but you forgot how Dera was designed by the devs, and that is Dera was designed as a plasma rifle with moderately high RoF, not a railgun (which were filled by Lanka already).

But if Nugget_'s idea ( https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/144108-weapons-20-overhauling-the-boring-and-generic-gunplay-of-warframe/#entry1708236 ) about alternate firing mode and individual weapon utilities were actually heard by the devs, I would love to see Dera's alternate firing as a railgun.

As stated by someone who commented here saying it's more like the halo plasma rifle, but I cunningly Proved him otherwise :D

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/145024-dera-blasts-dont-make-sense/?p=1718556

And here's what I said:

No it doesn't because the plasma rifle acts the same way, it doesn't fire 2 bolts, it fires 1 through the channel of 2 barrels, see below.

p5ly.png

0obh.png

You're trying to use assets from a totally unrelated game as proof of your speculation about this game. 

Your logic is flawed and you have no evidence. 

Edited by Plasmaface

You're trying to use assets from a totally unrelated game as proof of your speculation about this game. 

Your logic is flawed and you have no evidence. 

AGAIN! I was replying to someone else who said that the dera is more like the halo plasma rifle, and I showed him pictures to prove him other-wise.

P.S. Do you even read the posts before you do the same?

The fact that doesn't make sense about the Dera is the way its two barrels can converge on a single spot perfectly even though the barrels apparently have no moving parts.

Well, some part has to move..  the top barrel does some sort of venting action during reload.  And given that it's going to be propelled by magnets, there would be no need to have moving parts.  Just have the magnetic fields change shape slightly to alter the path of the projectile as needed.

Edited by Volt_Cruelerz

I believe you did not. Yes the shots go in the same line but that's most likely a design oversight. However just look at the firing animations, specially in the latest iterations of the weapon. It clearly alternates between it's two 'barrells'.

And I say again, "And I quote from the latest developer workshop posts: "Weapons and weapon skins - some new firing modes for added diversity!""

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/145024-dera-blasts-dont-make-sense/?p=1718614

Yeah, I know, but it doesn't mean a new firing mode is a totally different firing method with different bullet action and behavior... It could just be a simple semi-auto / auto / burst switch : /, in other words, it's still unclear what they meant with new firing modes.

And Nugget_'s idea is more like what some people wanted to see for that matter of fact.

AGAIN! I was replying to someone else who said that the dera is more like the halo plasma rifle, and I showed him pictures to prove him other-wise.

They said plasma rifle.. you were just thinking "OMG, Halo has one of those, they must mean that!!1!1"

They said plasma rifle.. you were just thinking "OMG, Halo has one of those, they must mean that!!1!1"

you do realize... he DID say halo right?...

Direct quote: "If you want to compare it to a Halo weapon, the Plasma Rifle is the most similar analogue it has."

Edited by sp4rtan148

The Dera is not a rail gun. it is a Plasma rifle. 

And here's what I said:

p5ly.png

0obh.png

Where's the mention of halo? just 'cause one person mentioned it doesn't mean everyone did.

Also, if you wanna make a game with a gun that shoots from between the two barrels, go for it.. afaik, this isn't your game. the gun works how the people who made it say it works...

Edited by Ronon2222

I like it the way it is mainly because i dont know many other dual barelled laser rifles, so it gives it that unique-ness.

the projectiles come out of the barrels sideways sometimes because they need to converge.

what in the actual f*ck.

you got a vote from me.

you do realize... he DID say halo right?...

Direct quote: "If you want to compare it to a Halo weapon, the Plasma Rifle is the most similar analogue it has."

Ironically, this is from the Halo Wiki:

This is enabled by  its dual plasma collimator design. Placed atop one another, these collimators fire in a "stagger" taking the slow automatic fire of each individual collimator and combining it, this design allows a faster rate of fire and more rounds per second, which adds to the lethality of the weapon.

I looked this up instantly when I saw your picture. It is only in Halo:CE(not even in Anniversary) where the plasma rifle fires from the center. The other games have them alternating from the bottom and top. Here's a link to its wiki page:

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Type-25_Directed_Energy_Rifle

Here is also the weapon in-game:

Edited by Ionus

You know what's a better argument...?

Why the LEX has two barrels.

CtMIZYc.png

But back to the topic...

these collimators fire in a "stagger" taking the slow automatic fire of each individual collimator and combining it, this design allows a faster rate of fire and more rounds per second, which adds to the lethality of the weapon.

This actually makes a lot of sense for the Dera (well any plasma-based high fire rate weapon). Sure, it might 'look' like a railgun, but the thing about railguns is that they're incredibly slow firing weapons; they have to charge their capacitors and then loose a metal slug with the rapid discharge of electromotive forces down rails or a coiled system like a gauss gun.

A plasma gun (which the Dera is) would generate quite a bit of heat when generating the plasma bolts, so it would make sense for a multi-barreled or multi-receiver design that would form plasma bolts individually and fire them in a stagger fashion to prevent either receiver from overheating from firing too rapidly.

I personally think the Dera would look silly if it fired from the center... like a wafer-thin flux rifle with the gooey center taken out. Besides, if it fired from the center, I doubt it would continue to make that glorious "Dakka-dakka" that I love so.

You know what's a better argument...?

Why the LEX has two barrels.

I could be completely wrong, but I believe one of the barrels in the Lex is for air or something? Not sure about the exact mechanics, but I think I asked the same question about a gun in real life a few years ago. I'm about to go to bed or I'd look it up.

Laser weapons generate a lot of heat, meaning that for a laser assault rifle to hit hard it will have to fire slow. Corpus engineers got around this by stacking two together, allowing them to keep the higher damage and fire rate. The drawback is that you use up a bit more energy, which is why the Dera's clip size is what it is.

The Supra on the other hand has its massive cooling fin things along the front to dissapate the heat buildup.

Lore-d

And here's what I said:

p5ly.png

0obh.png

Irrelevant response, because as you point out the Halo plasma rifle only fires 1 bolt so it is a single barreled weapon.

And Halo has had twin barrel plasma weapons. that operate very much like the Dera.

Edited by Silvershadow66

He meant more like a plasma rifle in that its not a railgun and not more like a plasma rfle because that only has one barrel.

Your whole argument is akin to saying that double barrel shotguns make no sense because single barrel shotguns exist.

Heres an simply explanation:
Plasma weapon generates heat -> Slower fire rate
But if you have two different barrels -> One cools while the other one fires -> Increased fire rate

Simple logic. This is still a game, so the perfect aim thing is strange, but you shouldnt overdo it.