Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Anyone Else Afraid Of Melee 2.0?

Ribboz

Well, hopefully they "ninja nerf" weapons that need to be nerfed, like the Galatine, Orthos Prime and Dakra Prime.

Lord knows if they nerfed them publically people would be at an outrage, for some reason.  Because people hate good game design, I suppose.

In the same vein I hope it ends up buffing weapons that need it, like the Bo.  But somehow I doubt it.

There are no "OP" melee weapons. Those weapons you listed are just slightly usable compared to other melee weapons on higher levels (not nearly high enough though).. but compared to guns? No. It's still better to use guns. Also Dakra Prime being considered OP is news to me, when was that decided?

If DE wants to bring melee up as a viable playstyle compared to guns, they'll have to buff melee across the board including those weapons you listed. And that's exactly what they said they would be doing. Also, melee 2.0 could potentially introduce additional balance factors for melee.

But by all means nerf all of the weapons to the level of Bo. Then ALL of the melee weapons will be completely useless as opposed to just some of them... that's what I call a good game design right there.

Edited by LocoWithGun

There are no "OP" melee weapons. Those weapons you listed are just slightly usable compared to other melee weapons on higher levels (not nearly high enough though).. but compared to guns? No. It's still better to use guns. Also Dakra Prime being considered OP is news to me, when was that decided?

If DE wants to bring melee up as a viable playstyle compared to guns, they'll have to buff melee across the board including those weapons you listed. And that's exactly what they said they would be doing. Also, melee 2.0 could potentially introduce additional balance factors for melee.

But by all means nerf all of the weapons to the level of Bo. Then ALL of the melee weapons will be completely useless as opposed to just some of them... that's what I call a good game design right there.

Compared to other longswords Dakra prime is OP but i wouldn't say it is, its just one of the better melee weapons in the game.

You know in awfully tired of Primes. This idea of having weapon A, then releasing Prime weapon A that outclasses it seems wrong to me. The amount of hoop-jumping you go through enduring rng on top of rng isnt a well-earned victory--its farming of the basest sort. I play Guild Wars 2 and every event item and many super rare weapons or armor can be obtained by earning them through gameplay. Mini games, races, enemy slaying, dungeon-delving, and getting achievements...these are all goals and rewards that i feel deserve merit.

Hold on a second.  An actual MMORPG has less grind than Warframe?

That's really sad.

Compared to other longswords Dakra prime is OP but i wouldn't say it is, its just one of the better melee weapons in the game.

Congratulations on contradicting yourself.  If a weapon is just better than others, it's overpowered.

Hold on a second.  An actual MMORPG has less grind than Warframe?

That's really sad.

Congratulations on contradicting yourself.  If a weapon is just better than others, it's overpowered.

The actual F*** you smokin' son? So by your logic any weapon is overpowered providing it is better than anything else - hang on, lemme dust off the old completely overpowered Cronus cause its better than the Skana in every single way.

The only things they've said about the upcoming melee changes:

1. More controllable combos.

2. Charge attack combos.

3. Blocking/Parrying will be more useful, but appears to be only when the weapon is equipped.

I think that's it.

They also said, "There would be things a level 30 melee weapon can do that its unranked version can't." 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm excited for melee 2.0.... Im not excited to find out if all the "current" piece of S#&$ melee weapons I took to level 30 for affinity and sold, are going to be something I need to go back and farm up again. That being said its just part of the game so it wouldnt bother me too badly in the end I dont think.... However, the mentions of this new xp systems that scares me, I have to wonder what it is and how its going to work because it could be completely awesome, and it could make some pretty drastically bad changes. I guess we get to find out. 

I'm excited for melee 2.0 because it means that those tons of melee weapons in the game that aren't the Galatine, Kestrel, and Glaive might actually become useful. My only real concern is that melee 2.0 will almost certainly suck IF they add COMPLEX COMBOS (this is a shooter, not a fighting game).

The actual F*** you smokin' son? So by your logic any weapon is overpowered providing it is better than anything else - hang on, lemme dust off the old completely overpowered Cronus cause its better than the Skana in every single way.

In a sense.  It's more that the Skana is underpowered.  Balance is a relative process; ideally there will be a middle line; things that are balanced, where most things reside.  There are things that are underpowered (starter gear) and things that are overpowered (Dakra, Orthos Prime, Soma, etc..).   The idea is to get both of those on par with the middle weapons (Ether Swords, Boltor, etc..).

They also said, "There would be things a level 30 melee weapon can do that its unranked version can't." 

Oh god, where did you hear that?  That sounds awful.

"Hey, melee 2.0 brought a bunch of cool functionality, but you can only use it if you grind up all your favorite weapons to 30!  Buy some affinity boosters!"

Guess that would be something DE would do.

Last livestream confirmed that the current 'quick melee' button will still be there in Melee 2.0. And the most elegant solution I can think of to equip/holster your melee weapon is to hold your reload button (default R). So tap R to reload current firearm, hold R to switch to melee weapon.

And the 'combo' system will probably be a simple Dynasty Warriors type thing, with a mix of left clicks and right clicks. Shouldn't be too complicated (hopefully).

In a sense.  It's more that the Skana is underpowered.  Balance is a relative process; ideally there will be a middle line; things that are balanced, where most things reside.  There are things that are underpowered (starter gear) and things that are overpowered (Dakra, Orthos Prime, Soma, etc..).   The idea is to get both of those on par with the middle weapons (Ether Swords, Boltor, etc..).

>Dakra

>Overpowered

In a sense.  It's more that every other melee weapon is underpowered.  Balance is a relative process; ideally there will be a middle line; things that are balanced, where most things reside. There are things that are underpowered (85% of melee weapons) and things that are overpowered ( ).   The idea is to get both of those on par with the middle weapons (Dakra, Scoliac, etc.)

I am extremely interested to see what happens because I'm planning to play Zephyr as a melee/mobility build based on using Tailwind to get to a target as quickly as possible and shredding everything around me with a polearm when I get there. I already have her forma'd and equipped with Steel Charge, now I just need my weapons to be ready.

The current systems biggest benefit is instantaneously jumping back and forth between melee and guns. But if melee 2.0 requires another slow equipment switching like between guns it will only hurt melee even more. I'm getting to the point that I'm more afraid of updates than excited.

they said in the stream that there is still gonna be quick weapons.  do you even know what melee 2.0 is or you just throwing out assumptions?

That was posted on December 22nd of last year. They didn't know what we know now.

Thank you for explaining that.

When I first made this thread there were talks of overhaul and huge changes without any specifics. With DE's record that should give fear to anyone.

But a lot of you have given me some hope. So thank you.

"Hey, melee 2.0 brought a bunch of cool functionality, but you can only use it if you grind up all your favorite weapons to 30!  Buy some affinity boosters!"

Guess that would be something DE would do.

they said that with each level, the weapon had new abilities. not the exact word, but i think they mean that you got new combos (or maybe extra damage?) by reaching certain levels.

that was like a month ago. maybe they will do it, maybe they won´t

The current systems biggest benefit is instantaneously jumping back and forth between melee and guns. But if melee 2.0 requires another slow equipment switching like between guns it will only hurt melee even more. I'm getting to the point that I'm more afraid of updates than excited.

DE said mash E stays. New stuff comes when you switch to melee mode. Hopefully they keep true to their word this time.

I'm concerned Melee 2.0 will not buff the weapons as suggested by the folks in the forums. There was a guy who made a massive melee weapon overhaul thread (can't remember thread name) that I would definitely consider and see about implementing, it sounded so good.

People thought Damage 2.0 would be a balance overhaul.  It wasn't.  In fact it nerfed a lot of weapons that didn't need to be nerfed (like the Flux Rifle) while others, like the Soma and Synapse, stayed on top.

A combo system like in The Force Unleashed maybe? LC (left click) + RC (right click) + LC + Space = light hit + hard hit + light hit + space for jump in the air like 3 meters and then hit RC again for ground slam and knock back. Stuff like that would work well. Also, damage buffs to melee.

Maybe they can add new enemies that are great in melee and can put a fight, nothing special, just some 4 - 10 seconds of awesome swordfights or maybe this  - mini boss or maybe capture targets that chalange you to an honorable melee fight that can actually fight you with blocking, wall running etc... Endless potential, if they play it wright. Maybe then we'll really be true space ninjas!