Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Do Folks Care So Much About Physical Damage?

JefPlays

Let's face it, a well-modded weapon will have most of its damage as elemental, which can be whatever the hell you like and tailored to each faction. So why, then, do people class a given weapon as being only useful against one faction based solely on its physical damage type?

I don't get it ;_;

They do give an advantage to whatever faction they're strong against but I see your point. Take for example the Soma. It wrecks anything and everything because of its insane crit and whatever elemental mods despite the fact that it's rather low on Impact. 

Mods compensate for the weakness of a weapon. Sometimes.

Gas, and Blast.. that's all you need! Well against Grineer, and infested... not so much corpus, and corrupted heavies. Gets the job done. You can do a lot of things with elements, and far better then with physical damage. Plus the mods to make the physical damage a lot better don't do much percentage wise sadly.

In response to the OP's question: No idea.

Personally, I focus mostly on crit builds and upping pure damage with the majority of my weapons simply because I know that Damage 2.7864363 could change at any moment and I'm tired of reformatting everything over and over again.

Corrosive + Blast all day. Dat 140% to Ancients.

For single combinations, Radiation is beast.

But yeah, Slash/Impact/Puncture damage sucks, and rainbow-styled modding is stronger than ever. Not sure what this Damage 2.0 was about, but it did give us more variety in elemental damage, which is something. 

It never solved the initial problem, just changed that problem into a new one.

Edited by Aishi

You can't hit every kind of defense with just elements. Sure, you can pick the best average element(s) and brute force anything you don't beat with it but it isn't optimal. You can use Radiation + Toxin or Corrosive + Cold against Grineer, but none of those elements have a bonus against Cloned Flesh, so that's where Slash damage comes in. I would never advise the physical damage boosting mods though. They're flat out terrible. Well, maybe not on melee weapons.

Let's face it, a well-modded weapon will have most of its damage as elemental, which can be whatever the hell you like and tailored to each faction. So why, then, do people class a given weapon as being only useful against one faction based solely on its physical damage type? I don't get it ;_;

someone that's using their noggin?! unheard of.

but you're absolutely correct. Elementals are by far the main source of Damage Output from all Weapons in the game. the Physical damage doesn't... really matter what it is, just that it's enough to get the job done well.

would you use keys to cut a loaf of bread or a bagel? it has serrated edge (elemental) so it can do the job or would u rather use a knife specifically made for cutting such objects?

the situation would be more like putting a laser cutting edge on a stick, or putting a laser cutting edge on a sword. both will be able to cut through things pretty well, but one is clearly better to start with. but since both are totally usable, it's not that big of an issue. 

Because if yo are using a large amount of the wrong physical damage you are holding yourself back or even penalizing yourself..This only matters though in high level survival or def.

at the level that you 'need' that extra Physical damage in order to kill enemies efficiently, it won't save you. since your average Elemental Combo will deal >200% more damage than what your Physical Damage counterpart will deal, the Physical Damage is <=25% of the Weapons' overal Damage Output. if the majority of your damage isn't enough, adding only a bit more probably still won't be enough ;)

You can't hit every kind of defense with just elements. Sure, you can pick the best average element(s) and brute force anything you don't beat with it but it isn't optimal. You can use Radiation + Toxin or Corrosive + Cold against Grineer, but none of those elements have a bonus against Cloned Flesh, so that's where Slash damage comes in. I would never advise the physical damage boosting mods though. They're flat out terrible. Well, maybe not on melee weapons.

viral has bonus against cloned flesh

I thought this topic was more of the overall issue with people believing that damage is everything on a Warframe and why DE isn't doing anything to stop that...

Like what?

Should they send out a mass advisory e-mail to all players?

Dear Warframer,

We strongly suspect you value damage on weapons. You should not value it so much. Please value damage on weapons less.

Thank you,

- DE

Edited by Serpentia

Physical damage mods amplify all the other damage forms with the exception of swords where there are two different types of physical damage amplifiers. There you need to only equip one of the following, charged or normal phsyical damage mods and depending on the weapons attributes, maximize the rest of the damage with elemental damage generally.

viral has bonus against cloned flesh

Viral has no bonus effect on either Ferrite Armor or Alloy Armor, and neither does Fire or Electric. Radiation does against Alloy, but not Ferrite. Again, you can brute force it, but it's much better if you're using Puncture damage for its bonus against the Armors.

Viral has no bonus effect on either Ferrite Armor or Alloy Armor, and neither does Fire or Electric. Radiation does against Alloy, but not Ferrite. Again, you can brute force it, but it's much better if you're using Puncture damage for its bonus against the Armors.

all of the enemies that have ferrite and alloy armor fall under cloned flesh thats why viral is best since it gives the bonus to ALL grineer reguardless of alloy or ferrite armor making it the best choice