Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Hud Feedback

[DE]Pablo

My 2c.  Overall some of the new features on the HUD are nice, don't work very well, but they look nice and would be welcome if they worked properly.  Example, the countdown timer on the ability to let you know when it will expire.  Running on Loki the countdown on invisibility would go down to 5s, jump back up to 27, take me out of stealth after another 1-2 seconds and tell me the power is currently in use for 1-2 seconds more while i'm getting the crap knocked out of me and continue to count down and up when I was out of stealth.

Second, the stamina bar is almost non-existent now.  I'd rather have a series of 3 bars blue, red, green that are relatively thick that give me a numerical, and a visual cue as to how low my health/shield/stamina are.  As it stands I have to really look at the green bar while moving and running instead of paying attention to the game. 

Third.  I would bring back the old waypoint markers.  They are too opaque now, the holographic style old waypoints didn't obscure things as much as they do now, and were highly visible to me.  Now they are rather small and even though they are small, when there are a lot on the screen it seems to take up more real estate than the old rounded ones, and why did you change the color scheme.  I think I could handle the new waypoints better if you still had an orange icon for a player made WP, green for oxygen, yellow for objective red for death and extraction.  But that's the main thing that bugs me about it.  The white player WP's are very difficult to see on the minimap and on most of the tilesets as there are a lot of light gray, white, and sand tones in the game already.  Then I see all these little tiny opaque yellow icons everywhere in a survival and my mind after playing this game for a year thinks there are 25 objectives left to complete, as well as the fact that they look rather clunky floating around the edges of the screen.  The old waypoints were obvious and less intrusive on the screen at the same time.  Furthermore, the minimap which many people have already stated is all out of whack with WP indicators.  Me and my friend were in a survival at about 35min and neither of us had any idea where the extraction was.  It didn't even show up till we were in the room beside it, as well as if we were more than 2 rooms away from each other we couldn't tell where the other person was.  And frankly they may look slightly "prettier" now, but if minimalist is your objective, having some fancy (yet tiny) colored icon in the center of a hexagon vs. a round easily spotted see-through holographic icon is not making things more minimalist and less intrusive, that actually makes it look more cluttered and clunky to me. 

Finally, the old objective timers were much easier to read, see and quickly understand when things are chaotic.  This new little white font timer...what font size is that? 6pts, 8pts?  I mean that's a font size I might see when using the email on my phone...but not when I need to figure out how much oxygen % is left on a survival, and when you are pressed up against a wall in the void the white color just bleeds into the background.  The old orange/red "24" countdown clock was far superior in that regard.

TLDR - UI looks ok, adds some new and needed functionality but needs to be cleaned up on certain areas.  I'm ok with the new look.  Bring back the old waypoints cause they were much easier to understand, see, and to me seemed like less clutter on the screen.  At the very least use the old color code for what waypoints are.  Make the objective timers stand out more, the tiny 8pt white font health counter on cryo pods and survival oxygen is really hard to notice when you are in the thick of things.

Edited by Beaudrillard

Honestly, I want the old HUD back, much easier to understand since it was pretty simple. I was trying to figure out where my energy pool was at and how much energy I had, this made it impossible when I tried doing the Darvo event, which was horrible with the new HUD and awful boss battle, couldn't tell where my hp/shields were at, couldn't tell where my energy was at, ammo, and the objective markers make everything more confusing than it should be.

Edited by __Kanade__

I usually run with loot radar, and enemy radar on occasion.

urT3m7K.jpg?1

Problem: Can't see mini-map behind icons.

Solution: give us old and plain colored dots for anything unimportant, such as mods, resources and enemies. Only objectives and downed players deserve full scale icons.

Problem: Can't focus on HUD bars due to 100% transparency, so everything is blurring with background.

Solution: Give us option to turn on "boxes" around HUD elements with controlled transparency.

Also, give us ability to freely move and scale HUD elements.

Edited by Darkix

- Too small, particularly the minimap. -> We are already working on this

- Minimap markers are not distinct enough. -> Also have a fix in the works

-The HUD scale option really solves the "too small" problem for me (almost had to get glasses :P).

-The markers are an issue: Exit is not as clear as it used to be, life support is sometimes labelled "waypoint" or "module", personal life support looks too similar to life support. Maybe use more colours, less symbols?

-Still no way to see melee weapon xp, would be really nice to see.

-Please make the 4 dots under the reticle (indicating the power selected) a toggled option. I, for one, simply press my numbers to use the ability and find the dots distracting.

-Stamina bar needs to be a bit more distinct, sometimes hard to see it.

-The new feature "Show player List" refuses to stay on, every time I log in, I have to turn it on. :-(

Edited by Ragewalker

I agree with all the points made by Ragewalker above.

The markers are really confusing now, those new mini-map icons don't really 'tell' us anything. I think I'd just rather they were smaller, and so easier to distinguish when you get up close to many (like with Enemy Radar).

Additionally, I really find the placement and new position of all the numbers rather confusing. Overall, I think the old HUD was easier to understand. I don't like this new one at all. For one thing, I'd like energy to be where my shields and health are. I also liked the bars, instead of these new precise percentages. I don't gain anything from the precision and I found the bars a bit easier to 'organize' in my head. I dunno.

DAMAGE NUMBERS ARE TWICE AS HUGE, do you like it? I don't; give us ability to control their size, including the ability to removing all dmg numbers.

I want to see mobs bleed blood, mechanical parts and stuff, it's way more spectacular. Why they bleed numbers?

Hey realy like the new HUD. Only thing i don't like is the scaling option right now. It would be fine with me if the scaling option only scale the stuff in the corners, like minimap, objective, your warframe, teammates and weapons abilities. You already fixed that "Reticle and Mod card images are no longer affected by HUD Scale" and in my opinion the crosshair and the resource pickup numbers should not be affected too.

Edit: Crosshair already fixed. Now only the Damage Numbers and the pickupcount needs to be changed to not be affected imo.

Edited by Saske92

I usually run with loot radar, and enemy radar on occasion.

urT3m7K.jpg?1

Problem: Can't see mini-map behind icons.

Solution: give us old and plain colored dots for anything unimportant, such as mods, resources and enemies. Only objectives and downed players deserve full scale icons.

Problem: Can't focus on HUD bars due to 100% transparency, so everything is blurring with background.

Solution: Give us option to turn on "boxes" around HUD elements with controlled transparency.

Also, give us ability to freely move and scale HUD elements.

Everything still applicable for new patch.

Icons were changed in patch but they still HUGE and mess with the mini-map, is it hard to give us an option for colored 'dots'?

Do our eyes have to suffer trying to see past great amount of unimportant icons?

Hey guys,

As most of you have seen the new HUD is out, there's several posts with feedback now and we are looking at them closely. A few recurrent things we are seeing:

- Too small, particularly the minimap. -> We are already working on this

- Minimap markers are not distinct enough. -> Also have a fix in the works

- Abilities are in a new place. -> This is a big change but we want to give it a chance and not give up on it so soon, we want to have the combat (weapon and abilities) together, we realize everyone, us included, were used to look upper right, but after playing for a while we feel lower right with the support of the dots below the reticle really works.

- I hate it, bring back the old HUD -> This is not really something we can or want to do, we want to look forward and make this the best HUD we can, so we will definitely seek out and listen for feedback to make it better.

We'll keep on monitoring all threads, this one in particular.

Pablo

I crossed out the points that have been addressed in my opinion. The only thing left with scaling is to make the fonts adjust better to their new sizes so they don't look totally blurry.

12.0.4 markers suck. I am sorry. I could read the 12.0.3 ones just fine and though that they looked pretty cool. Please stop taking things away. We want, and have consta customisability, and obviously there is no way to please everyone in this, so I would suggest implementing an option to select Marker "Styles" for the HUD. This way people can choose a format that they like.

With regards to the ability bar location it is not just about it being in a new place. It is a part of the Warframe's status more so than it relates to our weapon. We as players are constantly watching our health and shields and energy as we play. Having these separated is not just about getting used to new positioning, it is about having something separated from the area that we pay attention too most when it really doesn't need to be.. This needs to be changed. I was optimistic about it after seeing the WiP demos of the new HUD in the Design Council, but after experiencing it in game it simply doesn't work. At the very least you must make it an option to move it to the top right.

Edited by TheSeannachaidh

Can we please have orange (or some other more visable) colour waypoints again? White waypoints are a little hard to notice right now. Also I think having the stamina bar under the reticle like in the original concept would have been a nicer place to put the stamina bar as it is easier to see and keep notice of in comparison to the corner of the screen.

Edited by jrkong

The new hud scale is nice but it presents a new problem for me. The ammo and resource pickups, enemy health bar and the text under it and lastly the player notifications such as "x number of players are in extraction" all become to large for comfort. If it were possible to make a option that disclude these 3 hud elements from the hud scaling it would be much appreciated.

I can't play Warframe until the HUD is better. I retract my original statement, this has killed U12 for me.

We aren't happy. Take the hint, fix it, or let us fix it.

Well said.  Tried to give it another chance today with the new options, and I'm still finding it exceedingly hard, even after adjusting scale and margins, to get the information needed without spending an extra second moving the camera to make out the numbers.  They REALLY need a background behind them.

So, I absolutely love this. I don't have many problems with it. The style and placement of everything tells me you guys are on the same wave as me when it comes to HUD. I like it! So here's what I do think is still needed:

Options. Different settings so people can customize their HUD to their liking. I would only need a setting for the crosshair. I want it to be a simple dot with nothing else, no circles, no other dots (charge circle could stay I guess, but even that mostly gets in the way since I know when my weapons are charged, I know their rythm as it were). Other people might want other options as well. This is where you should gather the feedback and think which things you could add as options. Here's how you add those options:

A big section in the settings screen just for UI. You move the existing UI settings there and of course, you put the new ones in there as well. May I suggest looking at the new Shadow Warrior game to see the kind of things you add in there? It's the most recent game that I can remember doing something like HUD customization extremely well with tons of options, especially for the crosshair (colour, style, size, outline, opacity, etc.).

There are still things that need changes and there's no opinion to that I think, just fact. They're very few at this point though, and minor. I think others pointed them out already, so I don't really think I should do it as well. To generalize at least though: mostly minimap changes are needed, mostly (again) icon changes. I do think as well that the only big icons should be for Tenno, objective, extraction, each of those with a different colour (no change needed in that respect, just pointing out it's the good way). Enemies and loot (including small life support boxes) should be simple dots like before.

I want to congratulate and thank you for this new HUD! It's great! It was a much needed change, looks a lot slicker and cleaner now.

Also, not sure if this is the spot, but I hope to get an answer from someone in the UI team... I'm absolutely fascinated and obssesed with the UI in games, it's the thing that for many it doesn't matter that much, but to me it does, to the point that I can even refuse to play a game if I don't like the UI. The actual HUD is where I go berserk if I don't like it. I made a mod for the first Dead Island even (was called Drakenreiter's HUD Mod I think, fairly straight-forward I guess, heh) and that's how I played all the 50 hours of that game. I couldn't stand the vanilla one. So I want to work in this industry and I think the right place for me would be in this UI designer heaven or what should I call it. I like this... I like going through text files altering the UI to my liking if I can, I would love to work on such things on a professional level. So my question(s?) would be: What do I study to follow this kind of career? What kind of tools would I use for such things mostly (presumably going to college for studying this would answer me that)? Who would hire me? Would you (hehe) guys do it?! Not saying anything, but working there might interest me! A PM would be more fitting for this I guess, so do that if you want to actually give me some info on this. :)

Thank you!

2 things bugging me the most about the new UI. 1) The crosshairs seem to be considerably larger than they use to be and that is really annoying, it would be really great to add some options for scaling it. 2) The minimap icons and the icons that appear on the screen are very obstructive and overwhelming, I appreciate you trying to add more information to the HUD, but try to remember that more is not always better. Making it more minimalistic would go a long way to cleaning up the display.

A lot of the text in the hud gets very pixelated at higher HUD sizes, especially loot pickup text "life support deactivated" etc, I don't think the balance of the HUD elements size-wise is there yet, in the original new hud feedback thread the first thing I asked for was scaling and a lot agreed, preferably I'd like the default to be larger and have a larger range of scaling, the HUD even at max size isn't really suitable for a TV, I don't play on a TV but I know people do, and that same setting would be a useful default on the PS4 version.

Re-sizing individual elements would be nice, as well as seeing the results of your adjustments of the size, border and size of each part in a live preview sort of a thing, so you don't have to adjust, check in-game, re-adjust etc.

For some reason air pickups aren't shown on the minimap or big map anymore, and I quite frequently get the life support pod icons canceling out the extraction icon, I have to go to the room with the life support in it to get the extraction icon shown at all.

I'd also like to make a suggestion about the waypoint icons on the big map, if you've already explored the room the pointer is pointing at, don't show it at the door of your current room you need to take, instead show it on the map where it actually is, especially in the dojo.

just the energy bar. I'd rather have it with the other warframe stats instead of another corner of the screen :)

EDIT: also i find That the shields/health bar is a bit unclear at times and easily gets people confused.

Edited by Airwolfen

Giving more choices up to the player would be welcome.

I would like an option to have my warframe powers and abilities back on the upper right of my screen. I liked the lower right only having to do with my weapon, while the upper right showing everything relevant to my warframe.

I wish the icons for the minimap were much less intrusive, as Darkix's post showed. Only two that should be at that sort of level are mission critical things or the waypoint to extraction.

For someone who presses 1/2/3/4 for activating powers rather using the mouse wheel, the dots aren't much use and I find myself just glancing at the energy bar still, even though it's not at a location I find best. I wish I could disable them.

HUD scaling needs to not affect sniper scopes and certain things such as ammo/item/mod pick ups, as Septin has already mentioned.

Edited by tsubasakuroi