The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Warframe Concept] Typhus - The Parasite Warframe

RedSkittlez

• 2 weeks later...

I hope the Mios will amaze us in U16. Then lets wait and see.

Im sure Steve will tell us in a livestream if and when Typhus will be a thing.

Live on the Warframe Twitch, just announced the Mios! 'Gonna be Skana Sized'

Edited by Pyro15232

So at Pax we just had Tenno live 2015 and they actually announced and showed my melee weapon design the Mios. It looks great and I really liked the size; it is going to be nice and big! In appreciation here is an image of my original warframe design, Typhus, holding the Mios in all its glory. This image was a fan art drawn back in the day by a friend of mine Blazbaros.

typhus_by_blazbaros-d7l7o8s.png

Just like Nekros [necromancer], Oberon [Paladin with antlers, so futuristic], Hydroid [Piratesss and he also comes with a parrot, Arrr]

And don`t forget about the Space Dragon that's coming out!

Yes he is  very "inappropriate" for this space "Ninja" game.

It's not a space dragon, since the reveal nearly everyone has classified it as an "infested anteater" unworthy of the title of "dragon frame".

Dear god, the most recent frame (which I shall not name) has me not wanting to have typhus implemented into the game for fear of how badly DE will butcher it.

^this right here...when i saw, i was like, "im glad they didnt pick Typhus"

Red, please dont take this the wrong way, but until DE learns to at least make a nod towards original fan concepts, then i hope Typhus never ever ever ever ever ever makes it into the game...

I don't think Chroma was inspired by Endrian's concept in the slightest. The theme and abilities are just too out there to link up in any way. The only thing is the fact that the devs used the word "Dragon" which was a poor choice, as that immediately linked the two concepts, and people set themselves up for disappointment. 

Similarly; Even if they try to get Typhus in, I'm fully expecting them to modify the design. Because in the end; its all down to Mr. Brennan and what he has to say about it. Perhaps if they hold a Fan-Design Warframe contest, like what they did with the melee weapons contest, then maybe we'll get what we want out of both the Dragon Concept and the Typhus Concept.

I don't think Chroma was inspired by Endrian's concept in the slightest. The theme and abilities are just too out there to link up in any way. The only thing is the fact that the devs used the word "Dragon" which was a poor choice, as that immediately linked the two concepts, and people set themselves up for disappointment. 

Similarly; Even if they try to get Typhus in, I'm fully expecting them to modify the design. Because in the end; its all down to Mr. Brennan and what he has to say about it. Perhaps if they hold a Fan-Design Warframe contest, like what they did with the melee weapons contest, then maybe we'll get what we want out of both the Dragon Concept and the Typhus Concept.

this right here. DE never said that Chroma was based off the Dragon Cocnept. People just got to over excited.

this right here. DE never said that Chroma was based off the Dragon Cocnept. People just got to over excited.

well there's a problem there. DE said that they took in a fan concept and confirmed it to be a dragon. we need info on its abilities before making final conclusions. because with the Zephyr concept, the only things DE maintained were the ability themes and the name. period. and if you recalled one of the earlier devstreams, one of the artists mentioned specifically that they never take from fan arts or fan concepts because they are payed to present something from their own minds, and not something based on contributions by the community. so the only we are likely to see is original Dragon's ability pool. everything else DE makes from scratch.

if typhus were to make it into the game. the chances are that he'd end up the same way. the most likely conclusion would be that he'd end up looking like some infested frame with no parallels to samurai. but we'd still be able to have the abilities of the original. based on the info given, that's a likely result if DE decides to pick up on Typhus at any point in time. i dont know why the DE artists dont take even a hint of fan concept, but it would please more of the community if they did. i understand they are payed to be original, but they arent payed to piss off the community. and tbh, i'd be pissed if they didnt at least consider the samurai theme for Typhus if/when they release him.

There seems to be a lot concern about Chroma! I don't understand why you're talking about it here and not in General Discussion but let me voice my opinion on this, and help clarify some issues you have.

First off, Chroma and the Dragon fan concept are both inspired by Dragons. Yes, both do share the same idea of a dragon, but that's where the ideas split into two different paths. They never took any aspects from the dragon fan concept. Their design was a tanky buff dragon, while DE's view was a solo/team mix. Even their elements aren't the same! Fan was Plasma, while DE's was any element, kind of like Chromium from Dungeons and Dragons. At no point during previous Devstreams or TennoLive 2015 did they ever mention the dragon fan concept. They have always said it was a theme heavily requested. If you believe I'm wrong about this please tell me which episode they do mention it and time-stamp it. I will happily amend my comment if wrong. Chroma in no way resembles the fan idea, or anything of it. To say they ruined the concept would be false. There was no concept, just someone else's idea.

Next is the helmet. People sure do hate it! Some calling it a anteater nose. Actually it's based off a Seahorse head. Doing a quick google search of all the different kinds of seahorses makes many of them look like tiny dragons swimming in the water (http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140519115054/dragonvale/images/d/d2/Leafy_Sea_Dragon_3.jpg). You can see how eastern culture used them for the inspiration for dragons. Hopefully that will help you understand the inspiration behind his helmet. After that you're free to love it or hate it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. As for the whole design itself, there's also some discussion saying it's grotesque and displeasing. I like to believe they're going back to their original views on Warframe, more obscure designs that really can't be compared to anything but its name.

Finally we need to talk about some of the concerns about fan concepts in the hands of DE. This one Is completely irrelevant since Typhus has absolutely nothing to do with Chroma, but if somehow a fan design is brought into the game, they give credit to the user. Look at Zephyr, Derf Anyo, The winning weapons and enemies. Any concept that goes in the game has mentioned the creator via forum post, PM, or on stream.

Please understand I'm not shooting down Endrian's design. They have even mentioned in their thread that weather it's tied to their original concept or not does not matter. If you want to discuss Chroma, please move it to General Discussion, not Typhus. I want to keep this to Typhus and teases for upcoming designs I'm working on. I hope that helps! Thank you for your time.

Edited by RedSkittlez

Well Red, I for one am mainly concerned about the devs attitude to fan-made material.

It can be really missleading when they speak out about liking a fan-concept. Even if they don't mean to it creates expectations.

As in, Steve or Scott says on a stream or comments in thread in fan-concepts that they really like something. Or that they are doing a "Long requested theme."

Lets say it is infested next time, everyone and their grandmother will think of Typhus.

I would really prefer it if they are very clear in the future as to what, if any at all, likeness to the fan-concepts the new content will have.

The community is largely to blame for this, but rather than saying "Oh you will just have to wait and see what we do!" They could just say,"We have been inspired by these concepts in the forum and will base the theme around these powers and role, but not neccesserily following the visual ideas."

I know a concept is just a base for further development. But it is quite easy to stop rumor and dissent early by showing art or ideas like they did with Zephyr and Mios Nekros and Valkyr. When they were released no one was surprised because they told us in advance.

At the same time I get some things need to be locked away to surprise us.

I just dread the "Typhus Megathread - Infested frame revealed!" And the current dragon-situation is repeated all for nothing.

well there's a problem there. DE said that they took in a fan concept and confirmed it to be a dragon. we need info on its abilities before making final conclusions. because with the Zephyr concept, the only things DE maintained were the ability themes and the name. period. and if you recalled one of the earlier devstreams, one of the artists mentioned specifically that they never take from fan arts or fan concepts because they are payed to present something from their own minds, and not something based on contributions by the community. so the only we are likely to see is original Dragon's ability pool. everything else DE makes from scratch.

if typhus were to make it into the game. the chances are that he'd end up the same way. the most likely conclusion would be that he'd end up looking like some infested frame with no parallels to samurai. but we'd still be able to have the abilities of the original. based on the info given, that's a likely result if DE decides to pick up on Typhus at any point in time. i dont know why the DE artists dont take even a hint of fan concept, but it would please more of the community if they did. i understand they are payed to be original, but they arent payed to &!$$ off the community. and tbh, i'd be &!$$ed if they didnt at least consider the samurai theme for Typhus if/when they release him.

they said they took a "theme" the community has been wanting not a concept.

they said they took a "theme" the community has been wanting not a concept.

this won't stop people from jumping the shark, DE should of came out earlier with concept work (sorta like they did with Mesa which killed any fan concept hype early) they brought this upon themselves by saying this is a theme the community wanted, if they just said "yo we are doing a dragon theme" and showed what chroma looked like early on well, not to beat a dead horse but as already said DE should have made it more clear that this was based off a requested theme not a fan concept

this won't stop people from jumping the shark, DE should of came out earlier with concept work (sorta like they did with Mesa which killed any fan concept hype early) they brought this upon themselves by saying this is a theme the community wanted, if they just said "yo we are doing a dragon theme" and showed what chroma looked like early on well, not to beat a dead horse but as already said DE should have made it more clear that this was based off a requested theme not a fan concept

To be fair "Dragon" is a super vague theme that can cover a lot of different ideas considering how widespread/varied the concept is. If they were to, for example, say "Hey, we're making a plant frame!" they could do a lot of different things with the concept, they could go for a floral design much like the popular fan-frame Flora or they could go for something based on say carnivorous plants like the venus fly trap for example, they could go for a more arboreal design (Although that would bring it a little too close to Oberon for my taste). Now as far as whether or not they were too ambiguous in how they communicated their plans is a separate discussion to be had, but they are not beholden to the expectations of the player base most of the time. Also we really should have a discussion on what constitutes a "Theme" vs a "Concept" and how those apply to fan creations.

Lets say it is infested next time, everyone and their grandmother will think of Typhus.

Personally I would be thinking of Baphomet as well, but that's just me. 

Edited by Basilisk1991