Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Make Flux Rifle A Laser

notionphil

It should have unlimited range, I agree...perhaps to offset that it could have damage falloff.  That is, if anyone thought it needed a countermeasure.

it does roughly the same damage as the braton, but its clantech and mid mastery rank. i think those are countermeasures enough

it "was" a perfectly fine and average/useful/fun weapon right until dmg2.0 landed and it became a slash based weapon, thats when my 5 forma flux got mothballed and forgotten about.

some ppl have tested it and its what?  a similar dps to the braton.

Going to go with no.

The flux doesn't have to be overpowered to be fun. I love using it as is. Why?

because lightsaber instagib cannon is why

I do too...I'm not suggesting a damage buff, but a functionality buff. The Flux should no longer be the poor-man's synapse.

A buff for Flux is pretty much overdue. I wouldn't say unlimited range, but further increased damage(like back to its old 200), and perhaps innate elemental+slash damage.

The thing is, a pure damage buff would just make it a 'viable' weapon.

It should be a unique weapon. There are no long range penetrating crowd weapons. The miniscule DPS is perfect for that sort of flexibility

Give Flux Rifle unlimited range, 10M punchthrough and 20% status.

That will offset the horrendously low damage and create a new niche for the weapon.

I think the only reason anyone would want it (or most weapons) buffed is because they want to use it at high level content.   Right now in the current state of the game, all weapons are fine when your talking level 40 and below enemies.   You don't even need any forma at all for that level of content.  I've done fine with just a catalyst on probably 90% of weapons in this game....some weapons don't even need a catalyst or forma to defeat level 40 or below enemies easy.

Overall, I would not look to buff or nerf weapons too much right now.  DE has to look at the overall game and make sure they have good balance between player power and enemy difficulty at ALL LEVELS, not just attempt to make weapons more useful against level 10000 enemies.   You'll ruin the game if they keep buffing stuff based around being viable for end game content.  

However, for the moment I don't see a major issue with giving flux more range (with no damage drop off cause it's a laser), 30% crit chance (up from 25%) and innate punch through like the lanka has (but would probably mean you need to reduce it's rate of fire for balance).   I would even consider changing it from IPS damage to elemental damage as well, after all it is a laser and not a physical projectile like a bullet.  Heat or Electric would be a good choice, or maybe a combination of them both...50% heat, 50% electric...but then that might create some issues with combined elements I guess...So I'd probably lean towards Heat as lanka is already electricity.

Edited by Krymanol

I think the only reason anyone would want it (or most weapons) buffed is because they want to use it at high level content.   Right now in the current state of the game, all weapons are fine when your talking level 40 and below enemies.   You don't even need any forma at all for that level of content.  I've done fine with just a catalyst on probably 90% of weapons in this game....some weapons don't even need a catalyst or forma to defeat level 40 or below enemies easy.

Overall, I would not look to buff or nerf weapons too much right now.  DE has to look at the overall game and make sure they have good balance between player power and enemy difficulty at ALL LEVELS, not just attempt to make weapons more useful against level 10000 enemies.   You'll ruin the game if they keep buffing stuff based around being viable for end game content.  

However, for the moment I don't see a major issue with giving flux more range (with no damage drop off cause it's a laser), 30% crit chance (up from 25%) and innate punch through like the lanka has (but would probably mean you need to reduce it's rate of fire for balance).   I would even consider changing it from IPS damage to elemental damage as well, after all it is a laser and not a physical projectile like a bullet.  Heat or Electric would be a good choice, or maybe a combination of them both...50% heat, 50% electric...but then that might create some issues with combined elements I guess...So I'd probably lean towards Heat as lanka is already electricity.

I agree that its viable at killing enemies (with a few forma) at sub 40 content.

However viable doesn't mean good, or even used. I haven't seen a flux in game in a month - if all it does is damage enemies, but worse, with a shorter range...no one will use it.

Heat damage type is rather underused, but the only other heat damage primary is also a 'gimmick' weapon...not good to double up. Radiation would be a good call here IMO if an elem is used.

However viable doesn't mean good, or even used. I haven't seen a flux in game in a month - if all it does is damage enemies, but worse, with a shorter range...no one will use it.

Heat damage type is rather underused, but the only other heat damage primary is also a 'gimmick' weapon...not good to double up.

All I ever see people use is somas and pentas, it's not because the other weapons suck, it's because that's simply what people use in Lv50+ areas or whatever. When you don't HAVE to use certain weapons to reliably kill things, as in lower levels, you see more variety... although not much. I haven't seen people seriously use like 60% of the weapons in this game, when I do see something new it's usually someone half-assedly shooting something with a Lato or Lex just to level it.

If the only other heat damage weapon is "gimmicky", that's no reason to stop making heat weapons. MORE heat weapons should be made, and more effort should be made to make them interesting. Heat makes sense for a laser weapon like the Flux, more than Radiation at least (I guess lol).

Edited by DarkTails

Correct me if I'm wrong,but don't lasers have a "focus" point? A point where the energy is "supposed" to go,and beyond that point,the beam loses cohesion and energy at an exponential rate? Furthermore,a simple pocket mirror can render a laser worthless,reflecting the beam away from the intended target. The Flux Rifle looks like a laser,but it's described as an overclocked Dera. Might be a plasma beam. But,if it is a laser,innate penetration would be a nice thing,but not ten meters. Maybe two or three? Aside from that,I got nothing.

Correct me if I'm wrong,but don't lasers have a "focus" point? A point where the energy is "supposed" to go,and beyond that point,the beam loses cohesion and energy at an exponential rate? Furthermore,a simple pocket mirror can render a laser worthless,reflecting the beam away from the intended target. The Flux Rifle looks like a laser,but it's described as an overclocked Dera. Might be a plasma beam. But,if it is a laser,innate penetration would be a nice thing,but not ten meters. Maybe two or three? Aside from that,I got nothing.

I can already imagine a Grineer grunt deflecting lasers with a make-up mirror like a jedi xD