Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Devstream 25] Old Helmets Losing Stats : De, There Are Better Ways To Do This

ZephyrPhantom

Based on the latest livestream, any helmets obtained after a certain update will no longer have stat boosts.

If you had a helmet that gave a stat boost, you will get an optional blueprint to remove those stat boosts if you want to.

Rethinking the effects after some discussion, I think a much better move would've been to separate the stat mods into a separate kind of non-cosmetic slot, such as an "emblem" or "gear" that could be equipped by a frame, which would allow players to use whatever helmet they wanted but at the same time allow both new and old players to use some rather useful builds that helmets helped support, meaning everyone wins. (These emblems could also be acquired through alerts.)

Another option that has been suggested here is to simply make helmet stats able to be togggled on and off. While I feel this would conflict with DE's desire to have helmets remain solely as cosmetics, it remains a popular option and I feel it's worth including here. Alternatively, make helmet stats separate entities that can be applied to any warframe.

"But it has to be all or nothing." - To people who are saying this, I'd like an explanation why all or nothing is better - With no (stats), players who wanted to keep the stats will complain about exclusiveness, while all (stats) would retain the old "cosmetics shouldn't boost stats" argument. Splitting the current helmets into statless helmets and stat-boosting emblems or making them toggle-based would answer both problems without a complaint.

What do you guys think?

Edited by ZephyrPhantom

No they will give you a BP to convert it to a non-stat'd helmet. This was my understanding of it. As a player who has all the stat'd helmets, im fine with this. Then again, since i stand to lose nothing, my opinion is moot.

Edited by Skaleek

Will it be retroactive? Rhino will need slow again but I like the thrakk helmet better anyway.

According to what I know now, not retroactive - your stat-changing helmets will still change stats unless you want to convert them to statless.

Edited by ZephyrPhantom

Given further thought, I think it would've been more pratical if stat mods could've been kept through a separate kind of non-cosmetic slot (as opposed to removing them entirely), such as an "emblem" or "gear" that could be equipped by a frame, which would allow players to use whatever helmet they wanted but at the same time allow both new and old players to use some rather useful builds that helmets helped support.

Edited by ZephyrPhantom

Well, as long as I get to keep my stats.  I guess that kind puts the finger up to newer players, but...

OH well, got mine, sucks to be them I guess.

(ノ^_^)ノ┻━┻ ┬─┬ ノ( ^_^ノ)

Yes, this has kinda become just an excuse to flip tables.

Well the only helmet whose stats really break balance is of course the bacon helmet. That creates a pretty gross imbalance, which of course a lot of players won't say anything about because.. you know, selfishness.

I'll say it, but the vanguard helmet is so near and dear to so many people at this point even the suggestion of removing it will cause fits of mindless apoplectic anger.  You just can't talk to people about balance I guess.

I think it's a good move to make the all statless from here on out at least.

Im confused...

So they are making every future helmet, both new and old aquired by the player statless but at the same time leting people who have had the stat helmets keep the stats as a option?

Basically what you said, yes.

What interests me about this is that there's no reason the stats couldn't have been kept as a separate modification (e.g. some kind of 'emblem'), which would please both people who wanted to keep their stat modding-helmets and people who didn't want stat modding helmets, hence my added suggestion of 'emblems' to the OP.  This would be the option where everyone wins - I'm just hoping the people at DE see it, too. >.>

Edited by ZephyrPhantom

Im confused...

So they are making every future helmet, both new and old aquired by the player statless but at the same time leting people who have had the stat helmets keep the stats as a option?

Like I said previously, they want to do away with helm stats and make it a purely cosmetic choice. However some people spent real money to just get those stats. It's an attempt to phase them out without angering a subgroup of players.

I can't help but feel that the chance of players panicking and spending plat on the stat helmets they don't have and in turn giving DE a small boost in sales played a part in the decision to leave already obtained helmets alone.

I am in the all or nothing group. Consistency DE, something that is lacking as of late.

Given further thought, I think it would've been more pratical if stat mods could've been kept through a separate kind of non-cosmetic slot (as opposed to removing them entirely), such as an "emblem" or "gear" that could be equipped by a frame, which would allow players to use whatever helmet they wanted but at the same time allow both new and old players to use some rather useful builds that helmets helped support.

Unfortunately, such a reasonable idea clashes with the need to make a quick buck off cosmetics.

Edited by Noble_Cactus

I say get rid of all stats even the existing ones and no differentiation between people who already own them and people that will get the helmets after a certain point... There's no need for more "Exclusives"-thread fodder which is sure to arise once the day has come, if not sooner.

Edited by MeduSalem