The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Warframe Doesn't Feel Tenno Anymore.

nekrojiji

This is what I notices until now in this game.

When a frame uses an ability, the outer shell excites to the point where technocyte nanites are released and manifest as the "ability".

Hydroid's 1st, 2nd and 3rd skills don't fit the game..... How can he turn into watter!? and who the hell shoots the cannons!?

Ember doesn't turn into fire, or volt into an electric arc.

Please!... Keep the theme but change the way skills work.

Here's a suggestion:

1st: The projectiles apear near him ...and bombard the targeted area.

2nd: He manifests a big wave that he rides (just like the one in the stream but without him actualy turning into watter)

3rd: He creates a puddle of water in a 15m radius of him that hides him and enemies that enter it. Enemies that enter are disoriented and take damage over time.

What do you thing about this?

Edited by nekrojiji

There are a few ways to look at this, like :

Skill 1 : Okay I sort of agree with this one, it would make more sense if the volleys were launched by Hydroid himself.

Skill 2 : What if the water creates a sort of Pocket Dimension that compresses Hydroid's body inside? After all, with Wormholes, Vortexes and Voids, I don't see this being that big of a lore-breaker... yet.

Skill 3 : Same as Skill 2. He could have created a Pocket Dimension to trap enemies or hide himself in, then release it afterwards. Not that big of a deal imo. I'm kinda bummed out that the puddle on the ground does nothing other than stay there though. 

They could have went more creative with the skills, but I appreciate what we are given for the time being. I don't see the skill synergy with these few skills either. The Skill 2 and Skill 3 would be niche skills at best, as current players favour area-wipe skills rather than utility.

Water skills could have potentially brought in a new Status like Drenched, that could work in tandem with Electricity damage and whatnot. Some of the things that I was hoping to see but did not.

What I have so far. Won't judge Hydroid too harshly until release day.

On the #1, yeah, I'm not sure about the lore on it. It's a little odd.

For the liquifaction, though, it makes sense--there's nothing stating that we're solid state. Theoretically, the frame may be keeping him "together" and liquid is the natural state of the inhabitant. Using the powers is just "turning off" that function.

We already know from zephyr that the laws of physics don't apply well to frames. Zephyr is one of a few tenno that have implausible physiology--the amount of brain damage from using various movement skills should be extreme, and things like "speed" should shred the legs and feet from the friction.

If their physiology plays by special rules, and their physics play by special rules, it makes total sense that a frame that's normally liquid could hold a temporal solid state

DE has shown that they have been progressing in what these warframes can actually do since they started.  They are capable of mixing themes and such. I do agree that power 1 for Hydroid is kinda...out there in terms of "ninja!" But the others actually fit with ninja powers so long we think in the realm of say...Naruto.

Back to what OP said, Perhaps DE will go back and actually make some other warframes able to change shape like Hydroid is able too. But long and short of it, just apply Naruto logic to the powers and they mostly make sense.

I for one am glad they are exploring powers more. I'm hoping we will have more diverse/interesting powers. I mean imagine if when Volt uses Speed, he turns into pure energy to move SUPER fast and does AoE electrical damage. Frost's Icewave could be him turning into it and surging forward to do damage.

On the #1, yeah, I'm not sure about the lore on it. It's a little odd.

For the liquifaction, though, it makes sense--there's nothing stating that we're solid state. Theoretically, the frame may be keeping him "together" and liquid is the natural state of the inhabitant. Using the powers is just "turning off" that function.

We already know from zephyr that the laws of physics don't apply well to frames. Zephyr is one of a few tenno that have implausible physiology--the amount of brain damage from using various movement skills should be extreme, and things like "speed" should shred the legs and feet from the friction.

If their physiology plays by special rules, and their physics play by special rules, it makes total sense that a frame that's normally liquid could hold a temporal solid state

You raise a very interesting point. Hadnt thought of it that way :o

Guess I can be OK with him turning into water, after all solid is just an illusion if we think about quantum mechanics, but I'm glad that I'm not the only one that thinks his 1st is a little off theme. 

I for one am glad they are exploring powers more. I'm hoping we will have more diverse/interesting powers. I mean imagine if when Volt uses Speed, he turns into pure energy to move SUPER fast and does AoE electrical damage. Frost's Icewave could be him turning into it and surging forward to do damage.

If they go for that i'm ok with it.... I just want it to be plausible. We are basically humans. Yes in the last thousant years the tenno could have adapted to the virus so much that these things are posible. I really don't want this game to go too much into the naruto side of ninjas. 

Edited by nekrojiji

Well. At first I was skeptical, but by the end of the devstream I think I started warming up to his abilities and came up with these thoughts:

• Barrage seems a little cost-heavy unless it really does have some good damage, but this ability is a pretty solid ranged ability that also covers an area for a while, which is very good to have in my opinion, and could be used on far away enemies hiding behind cover. I like it. But... shot from his "ship?" Explain how a ship shoots waterballs through the hulls of other spacecraft or buildings? Very unsound...
  • Tidal Wave. To be honest, I actually love this ability. Looks sick, has a sick effect. Is sick. Turn into a tidal wave that surges forward, carrying all enemies hit with you while doing damage to them aaaaand ending with them (from what I understand) ragdolled. Perfect for some quick ground-finishers to mop up the remaining enemies. Plus, after watching the Melee Combo Counter, I think Tidal Wave would be perfect for closing gaps quickly without risking yourself and even giving you an advantage to extend your counter. Awesome ability in my opinion. And I feel like its not stretching the lore too much, unlike the next ability...
  • Puddleform. I do like how it only costs 25 energy. Would've been ridiculous for anything more XD I initially hated this ability, in all honesty here. I'm not sure if you can move while it's active? If you can, it's not bad for just ambushing enemies and sucking them into the logically-unsound pool of infinite depth. But I don't thinkkkk you can move, but again I dunno. I also am curious as to the duration of this ability. The damage seemed pretty sub-par, but I actually like the idea of this ability now for defensive uses:

• If taking way too much fire, just go puddle-mode and let your shields recharge. Not bad.
    • Quick use to dodge those pesky knockdown attacks (those that Scott was getting wrecked by XD ) by quickly entering then exiting puddle form. Also, if the enemy was close enough (like a Shield Lancer charging to knock you down), they will be left on the floor after stepping in the doompuddle.
  • "Deep Dark Sea" needs a rename, just gonna be blunt about it. It seemed pretty lackluster from what I saw buuuuut they did say it was unfinished. With better damage and targeting and solid duration, this could be pretty good for locking down areas and defending objectives (or laughing maniacally as the Capture target gets his face pounded into the floor by giant water tentacles). And I think this ability is fine lore-wise. So yay :P

Anyways. Just my thoughts. I don't like how little he ties into the Ninja theme though... I don't get why he had to be "hybridized" (that's almost as good as Hydroid haha), water theme alone would've been great.

i have no idea what they were thinking with this frame. "hey what havnt we done yet?" "water and earth?" "hmm well water it is" the powers are a joke. besides the names of the frame and the powers the powers just look horrible. also i still have a bone to pick with eh "where does the first power come from?" "the void" so any time something doesnt add up just blame the void? are they even trying anymore? Wednesday should be interesting. 

Also anyone know where you get the frame? did they say? tenno lab im already guessing oxium here i come! 

-le snip-

Here's a suggestion:

1st: The projectiles apear near him ...and bombard the targeted area.

2nd: He manifests a big wave that he rides (just like the one in the stream but without him actualy turning into watter)

3rd: He creates a puddle of water in a 15m radius of him that hides him and enemies that enter it. Enemies that enter are disoriented and take damage over time.

What do you thing about this?

1 But with Water

2. On a smaller scale ofcourse.

tumblr_inline_moyjlfR9ue1qz4rgp.gif

guy-jumps-into-puddle-gif.gif

RIGHT? :D

Edited by BloodCarnival

The first one should be water shurikens, also, i totally did not steal that from pokemon.

He's meant to be a pirate though, reserve that for a more deserving Warframe.

Which also brings me to this point : Puddleform is meant to be a stealth skill. Hydroid is a pirate Warframe.

Have you ever seen a Pirate attempt stealth before?

I don't think his abilities relate to water at all. Rather, a liquid-like substance which I dub "Void Matter", essentially matter found within the Orokin Void.

This could be used to explain his abilities, like how his void ship fires blasts through dimensional space to hit something in the Warframe dimension. Hydroid's suit can generate this substance around itself, allowing him to temporarily meld into a pocket dimension while controlling the matter's flow.

His ultimate could be unleashing a void creature's tentacles through small wormholes on the ground.

Which also brings me to this point : Puddleform is meant to be a stealth skill. Hydroid is a pirate Warframe.

Watch the first Pirates of the Caribbean. When Barbarossa and his undead army take on a ship. :)

guy-jumps-into-puddle-gif.gif

RIGHT? :D

Hahaha right... :D

his abilities seem interesting and well rounded from what I saw on the stream... assuming his ult works in the final version...which I do hope it does.  his #1 is a bit strange though, lore-wise.  I'm not saying lore should be priority over gameplay, but it doesn't feel like it needs to be a pirate-ship bombardment :/

DE may be expecting more pirate love.  But they -are- talking to the space-ninja crew here, I think it's clear where our allegiance lies.

That said, are Tenno -ALL- ninjas?  They seem to have a lot variance in their theme and style, so I'm not really hating the pirate-captain-cthulhu-ninja thing.

I actually like where this frame is heading, including his name.

I would agree about the stealth pirate part, but alot of famous pirates have something better: Cunning.

Leave it to the pirate frame to come up with the sinister puddle trap. Quite genius actually.

As for his first ability...I want to see this ship of his. Maybe involve it in some great lore opportunities. Also, in certain tilesets, maybe see it out windows, or on the horizon?

-Jin

his abilities seem interesting and well rounded from what I saw on the stream... assuming his ult works in the final version...which I do hope it does.  his #1 is a bit strange though, lore-wise.  I'm not saying lore should be priority over gameplay, but it doesn't feel like it needs to be a pirate-ship bombardment :/

DE may be expecting more pirate love.  But they -are- talking to the space-ninja crew here, I think it's clear where our allegiance lies.

That said, are Tenno -ALL- ninjas?  They seem to have a lot variance in their theme and style, so I'm not really hating the pirate-captain-cthulhu-ninja thing.

In fact, a "Tenno" is not a ninja.

A Tenno per definition is a japanese emporer. Maybe the meaning is bend a bit to be a codeword for superior beings.

That said, the only true Ninja would be Ash and Loki, meassured by their abilities of deception.

They seriously doesn't have any idea for new warframe so they just push him in to the game.
They should just balance more warframes change their skills to be not OP and every skill to be usefull on all level enemies. Players then could be interested in making that frame again because they deleted it because of being too weak.

This is what I notices until now in this game.

When a frame uses an ability, the outer shell excites to the point where technocyte nanites are released and manifest as the "ability".

Hydroid's 1st, 2nd and 3rd skills don't fit the game..... How can he turn into watter!? and who the hell shoots the cannons!?

Ember doesn't turn into fire, or volt into an electric arc.

How can Loki and Ash Teleport? Do you know how difficult something like that would be to pull off, let alone have on the fly?

How does Ash and Loki being invisible make their swords/etc hurt more?

How isn't Nova causing the ship structural damage and destroying near everything because she is using anti-matter?

Where do Ash's shurikens come from? How do Loki and the boss who throws decoys have touchable holograms?

How does  Rhino hit the ground so hard that he puts enemies in stasis? How does him roaring make bullets hurt more?

How do ANY of Vauban's moves function?

Warframes enjoy a casual relationship with ALL laws of physics and some laws of common sense. Just because you think it is incredibly improbable that Aenon (water spring, refuse to call him by THAT name) can turn into water doesn't make any of the above more probable.

Well, as previously stated, the Technocyte virus effectively alters the corporeal structure of the inhabitant when it creates the suit. Creating a sentient liquid is just a matter of plucking the "Nanites, son." chord that can be the answer to an awful lot of existing abilities.

As for the pirate theme, I don't mind it. Tenno, while pictured as Space-Ninjas are in hard truth exoskeleton-wearing special operation soldiers. Vauban, Saryn, and Oberon seem to bend the "ninja" visage as well.

And for his 1? I have to agree...the whole "ghost ship" thing is a bit...stretching.

No, please keep him the way he was presented in the livestream. I love it, finally a frame that works in a more interesting way, don't care what bit of lore this breaks.

Also, the ninja theme is not something the game was following in the beginning, it's mostly people that made that into a thing. There's obvious influence from different cultures if we can call them that, not just that of ninjas.

Edited by Drakenreiter