Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Do We Need Mod Points And Mod Slots?

drMightyPotato

We as the community have asked this several times DE: increase our mod slots.

However what if the solution is much simpler that this.

THE SOLUTION

Remove the mod slots.

Or at least remove the mod slot limit.

What this will do is allow us to put as many mods as we can using the mod points given to us (30 without 60 with a potato and 60+with a potato and aura).

With removed limit on slots we will be allowed to make full builds using ALL of our points instead of the usual 5-6 mod points that just sit there.

We will still be limited by the mod points but it will be up to us weather we want to have either a ''jack of all trades'' build or max out a certain build.

Ofc the aura slots stay.

You know thats a stupid idea right? If you have no slots you won´t be able to polarize and thus actual loose mod points.

or..

With unlimited mod slots and polarizing, people will be able to have 12-15 mods on some equipment.

That would be way too OP.

System is fine as it is.

Only thing I'd change is removing certain mods (resistances and capacity mostly) and turn them into an additional cosmetic.

Ie, you can choose between a bandolier for extra ammo, or something else of that nature.

It would let you run some less popular mods and would give some interesting customisation options.

You know thats a stupid idea right? If you have no slots you won´t be able to polarize and thus actual loose mod points.

Or you could acctualy read the whole post. Scary right, i know.

Jokes aside i said ''remove the mod slot limit'' meaning that you would NOT be losing anything. As long as you have mod points you can have mod slots.

I agree, mod slots are whats limiting the build diversity in this game. They would need to tweak the cost for each mod and re-balance enemy stats before that though. Like upping the cost for the usual essential mods like serration and element mods, while decreasing the cost for other ''utility'' mods like reload speed and clip size, and then adjust the enemies health and armor etc. to meet the new balance. Or else, its just going to make player more OP like other people says.

They would also need to rework how forma works too. Like, each forma adds a ''polarity stack'' to the gear, which can be consumed to decrease the equipped mods cost by 3 or so for the matching polarity. Limits at 8~10 or so stacks.

Its going to need alot of balancing work, but doing away with mod slots would bring more good to the game, because even if DE adds more mods to the game in the future, its not going to be used if there arent any room for them.

Edited by khk6

System is fine as it is.

The system is not fine as it is. There are too many flaws currently that need some fundamental reworking.

That being said izzatuw is still right:

Gamebreaking. That means a man with tons of forma will just destroy everything

There obviously needs to be a hard set limit on how many mod-slots there are, otherwise DE will have to look even more into tweaking the damn Mods because some of them just have too low Mod-Point-Costs... and you all know what DE is really, really bad at?

Balancing.

Edited by MeduSalem

What if mod points were turned into a soft limit, after which the excess points had some kind of negative effect? (say ... reducing any given weapon / warframe stat) Mod slots are still there, and are immediately usable. The question is whether your mods are worth the penalty.

What if mod points were turned into a soft limit, after which the excess points had some kind of negative effect? (say ... reducing any given weapon / warframe stat) Mod slots are still there, and are immediately usable. The question is whether your mods are worth the penalty.

That would probably work only if the penalty is really nasty... Like if you are driving your guns in the red range they start to have malfunctions during your missions which can't be countered with any mods or other stuff... Otherwise people would find a way to minimize the penalties and still be overpowered.

Still it would require that DE looks into every single existing Mod and raise/lower the Mod-Costs... Which is something I'm very doubtful about.

Every time they release a new mod I'm already scratching my head as to why they are not able to rebalance some of the existing ones. Like Cicero/Tethra's Doom with 60% Status Chance while the Solo-Status Mods still cap at 15%. Why?

Or why some Elementals have 60% while most of them have 90% and so on...

Why do mods like Metal Auger have a mod-cost of 15 when maxed out when you are better off with Shred that only uses 11 and gives you DPS at the same time?

Why, what, why? There's no official explanation as to why it's like that other than to quote Scott himself: "It's random."

There's no consistency whatsover... and now we expect them to base the whole balancing and outcome of the modsystem on the mod-point-cost? I'd be curious and fearful at the same time to see how that turns out..

Edited by MeduSalem

The proper solution is to do the exact opposite. Give us less mod slots and less mods, but make the choices of which mods are used matter more. If something's automatically worth taking, its existence as a mod is arbitrary, and if it's not worth taking at all, its existence is pointless.

System is fine as it is.

Only thing I'd change is removing certain mods (resistances and capacity mostly) and turn them into an additional cosmetic.

Ie, you can choose between a bandolier for extra ammo, or something else of that nature.

It would let you run some less popular mods and would give some interesting customisation options.

That... is actually a very interesting idea...

We as the community have asked this several times DE: increase our mod slots.

However what if the solution is much simpler that this.

THE SOLUTION

Remove the mod slots.

Or at least remove the mod slot limit.

What this will do is allow us to put as many mods as we can using the mod points given to us (30 without 60 with a potato and 60+with a potato and aura).

With removed limit on slots we will be allowed to make full builds using ALL of our points instead of the usual 5-6 mod points that just sit there.

We will still be limited by the mod points but it will be up to us weather we want to have either a ''jack of all trades'' build or max out a certain build.

Ofc the aura slots stay.

no, the real Solution add 2 mod slot to everything and bring in a attribute system for mastery rank or a skill tree system for each frame/weapon/pet/pet weapon to get rid of worthless mod aka mag size increase -_- who even use them or ammo cap increase when we have mutation (which also help with RNG)

I only want to see ability mods and their mod slots go and let all frames level up their skills automatically as they rank up.

That would help to clean up the cluttered drop tables and give 4 more mod slots to every frame.

It would also mean for ppl not to have to forma away their ability slots and for abilities not to be outweighed by regular mods.

I only want to see ability mods and their mod slots go and let all frames level up their skills automatically as they rank up.

That would help to clean up the cluttered drop tables and give 4 more mod slots to every frame.

It would also mean for ppl not to have to forma away their ability slots and for abilities not to be outweighed by regular mods.

They are going to introduce general purpose ability mods later this year... so removing the abilities from the modpool is out of question now... We have to deal with that stuff... and every concept that tries to supersede what we already have as mod-system should consider that as well.