The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Would Hydroid Be Worth The Grind?

(PSN)Jamster219

Eh, I think you're better off with a frame who's a little more unique. I'd personally like to see more frames with skills that aren't just "press 4 to win" Almost all frames have AoE attacks that just nuke everything, sort of takes away the challenge of the game and makes melee fighting somewhat pointless.

I've got my Hydroid building right now and while the grind was tedious, the new Vay Hek fight was rather entertaining. I also got some good XP off of it to get a few pieces of gear those last few levels to 30. I will agree with an earlier poster that finding Delta Beacons(the rarest of four types needed to build a Vay Hek Key) is a huge pain in the &#!. Ran about 20 Ceres missions and never found one off a Prosecutor. Good news is you can trade/buy Beacons and completed Hek Keys via trading with other players. I ended up buying a couple of Hek Keys for 5 plat each since I had been seeing people selling Delta Beacons for 6-8 plat each.

I've played with a few Hydroids and found them to be very helpful(except one #$&(% who kept using puddle to make a reward giving Defense wave last forever). I've been told the best way to build him is Duration and Efficiency since his powers are more CC-based than damage based. He's basically a CC mage type.

He is personally my favorite warframe and unless i have a specific reason 'not' to use him [aka running through nightmare missions stealthed as loki to get a alert reward or w/e...  or my team absolutely needs my frost...] I am going to use him.  He IS frail but his ability's scale well [mostly his ult] with power strength unlike a majority of ults which usually stop working effectively around level 35ish,  I know most people know NOT to build for power strength especially for end game but out of curiosity I wanted to give it a try and was able to drag his ult's effectiveness up to level 70-80ish enemy's.  Speeding up his damage with puddle for the rare moments you want it to do damage really is never a bad thing either.  Though it could be better served for Duration and or Efficiency, his ability's last long enough as is.

His puddle is good to help regen shields or let some bleed DoT stacks fall off [other than toxic, that for some reasons stays].

His ult also aside from being imo the strongest ult in terms of damage when things get caught by it... is oddly enough effective for CC too, things cannot really shoot/swing or generally attack you IF they are being flailed about and slammed into walls.

His first ability is good if you preemptively launch it and trip up enemys or to help cover the pod a little

Then his dash ability he basically is invincible when rushing forward and it also knocks down enemies which it seems to have a wider range than the others.

Edited by Sibarian

He is personally my favorite warframe and unless i have a specific reason 'not' to use him [aka running through nightmare missions stealthed as loki to get a alert reward or w/e...  or my team absolutely needs my frost...] I am going to use him.  He IS frail but his abilitys scale well [mostly his ult] with power strength unlike a majority of ults which usually stop working effectively around level 35ish,  I know most people know NOT to build for power strength but I wanted to give it a try and was able to drag his ability's effectiveness up to level 70ish enemy's,

His puddle is good to help regen shields or let some bleed DoT stacks fall off [other than toxic, that for some reasons stays].

His ult also aside from being imo the strongest ult in terms of damage when things get caught by it... is oddly enough effective for CC too, things cannot really shoot/swing or generally attack you IF they are being flailed about and slammed into walls.

His first ability is good if you preemptively launch it and trip up enemys or to help cover the pod a little

Then his dash ability he basically is invincible when rushing forward and it also knocks down enemies which it seems to have a wider range than the others.

Too add to that, I've also been told Hydroid has a decently high Stamina, which means using Reflection on him and blocking a lot with melee is an effective way to help keep him alive

Hydroid is now one of my top 5 frames, and I have em all.

Depends on playstle. I love CC over tanks and nukers. Fav frame is Vauban.

With Hydroid, you can hold down 2-3 spots.

Barrage one spot, swarm another then tidal the next while killing them, etc.

Did interception lastnight and was able to hold down two beacons without ever dying or needing help. Barrage is so beast!

Only Vauban with his bastille and vortex can hold down better, for me at least.

If you dominating, without needing to nuke 24/7 or go invincible... Then Hydroid is a must.

I got him in 6runs, half clan runs other PUGs, gl with farm, diff for everyone.

Nothing is worth 'GRIND' imo. If you don't feel like you're having fun, then do something else. Go back to hunting prosecutors when you feel like it again, or when you're on Ceres for something else. Hyrdoid is definitely in my top three, but he's not so spectacular that I'd tell you to stop playing what you like and be bored for several play sessions to get him ASAP.

Lol@someone saying he is weak alone. Just like with Birdie, ppl dnt play the frame efficiently enough, so therefore they call em weak or bad.

We all have diff skill lvls yes, but come ooon. I can hold my own solo in t3 surv pass 30 min mark. Barrage does knockdown. You can have the lowest hp/shield ingame but still be untouchable if the mobs cant shoot at you. Barrage plus tidal, then his ult?....

Do you even lift bro?!

Vauban, Birdie and Hydroid CC Masters!!!

Lol@someone saying he is weak alone. Just like with Birdie, ppl dnt play the frame efficiently enough, so therefore they call em weak or bad.

We all have diff skill lvls yes, but come ooon. I can hold my own solo in t3 surv pass 30 min mark. Barrage does knockdown. You can have the lowest hp/shield ingame but still be untouchable if the mobs cant shoot at you. Barrage plus tidal, then his ult?....

Do you even lift bro?!

Vauban, Birdie and Hydroid CC Masters!!!

I can last 60 minutes in pluto's Dark Sector solo, its just the fact of the matter is on paper however he... statwise is a little on the frail side.  He is a effective warframe but frail and unless you know how to use him you wont have fun.

Yeah, he's worth it.  In fairness, I can make just about any frame "worth it", with varying degrees of additional work.  But more to the spirit of your question, yes...he makes running missions like Defenses (and ODD's in particular) an absolute breeze.

Properly kitted-out with power duration buffs, I can get almost 40 seconds worth of "puddle" and 25-ish seconds of Kraken tentacles.  That makes his ability to hold/defend a point second to none.  His first ability (Tempest Barrage, or "Bring the Rain") can be a bit imprecise but is effective enough at small area suppression.  Tidal Surge, as a "Slash Dash" like ability, does well at not only covering ground quickly but does acceptably well at knockdowns/pushbacks and keeping paths clear.  Undertow is an underused utility skill that does absolutely great in groups that know how to take advantage of this ability.  Few, if any, other warframes have the ability to coral up a bunch of mobs in one compact area for over half a minute and allows your teammates to absolutely wreck them (the ones that didn't die outright while "swimming") once you come up for air.  And finally, Tentacle Swarm just slaps the spit out of everything in the area.  It may not be the highest damage ultimate, but its ability to CC large groups while doing decent AoE makes it quite worthwhile.

So yeah, totally worth it IMO. :)

I can last 60 minutes in pluto's Dark Sector solo, its just the fact of the matter is on paper however he... statwise is a little on the frail side.  He is a effective warframe but frail and unless you know how to use him you wont have fun.

Hopefully more ppl see his potential. So far, I really like last two frames to come out, tho I see ppl who dont. Too many that arent effective [enough]. I havent played DS def/surv yet. Only done like 2or3 sabotage and gave up, battle pay seems waste of time, Lol

Hydroid definitely shines on Interception. Ima try him on a nightmare def/surv later to see how far I can go. I finally maxed him lastnight.

You can do defense solo for a bit too.

I'm leveling penta now with him and in between reloads you can launch those water canon balls and release the kraken and no one is going to really touch the pod.