The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Soo.. Godzilla.

Redeminem

I saw half of it in 3D. The first half of the movie was spent trying to figure out why my glasses were green and pink and why they weren't making the stuff 3D. Half way through someone finally complained and a worker fixed it so that it was proper 3D (no green and pink).The actually monster fights parts were good enough to warrant the money IMO.

In your opinion, is it worth the money for the movie tickets? At first I was pretty psyched, but hearing from a lot of people I'm not so sure now.

you live in America, right? American cinema's are garbage. i stopped going to them a long time ago. from your generic theater up to the super 'fancy' ones, they all have a pretty horrible experience. THX cerified sound (which basically means certified to be loud and that's it), image quality that is... okay, an unclean facility that makes me feel afraid to touch things, annoying people, and movies that aren't worth driving somewhere to watch. -.-

i can get a much better experience at home.

anyways, just remember, like all big movies, the entire movie is about particle effects and blah blah. 

so don't go watching a movie expecting good writing. because... lol.

it's really sad that i can guess the exact plot of a movie by referencing off of like, 7 basic charts :/

all there is in movies nowadays is interesting art once in a while. 

and to think, the Film industry is vetted as a professional industry, yet the Game Industry is not. but atleast the Game Industry still has people in it making things that are actually... different, and provide a good experience. not just particle effects with a lame story i could have written in 5 minutes.

The build up is slow but not bad, the 1 and a half fight is epic, the ending is a bit dumb imo.

The military is useless to the overall ending tho.

And I disliked how they make it look like godzilla is the good guy, almost a superhero. wat? he was just fighting for territory or to eat the other 2 monsters, he destroys two cities in the process and he's labeled as a savior... that really ticked me off

you live in America, right? American cinema's are garbage. i stopped going to them a long time ago. from your generic theater up to the super 'fancy' ones, they all have a pretty horrible experience. THX cerified sound (which basically means certified to be loud and that's it), image quality that is... okay, an unclean facility that makes me feel afraid to touch things, annoying people, and movies that aren't worth driving somewhere to watch. -.-

i can get a much better experience at home.

anyways, just remember, like all big movies, the entire movie is about particle effects and blah blah. 

so don't go watching a movie expecting good writing. because... lol.

it's really sad that i can guess the exact plot of a movie by referencing off of like, 7 basic charts :/

all there is in movies nowadays is interesting art once in a while. 

and to think, the Film industry is vetted as a professional industry, yet the Game Industry is not. but atleast the Game Industry still has people in it making things that are actually... different, and provide a good experience. not just particle effects with a lame story i could have written in 5 minutes.

What American Theaters did you go to? All the Theaters where I live are great. They're clean, the image quality is great (for a theater), sound is good if you know where to sit, etc etc. The people are usually pretty quiet once the movie gets started, if they aren't a kick in the head usually fixes the problem.

Obviously. If I ever found a theater that could trump an in-home movie going experience, I think I would crap myself on the spot.

If a Kaiju movie had good writing I would crap myself (don't judge me).

It's a Godzilla movie, charts aren't even needed.

There are still good movies getting made. They're just not normally the ones you see commercials for. I heard that Neighbors movie was funny, so that might be worth the money and drive.

Obviously. If I ever found a theater that could trump an in-home movie going experience, I think I would crap myself on the spot.

and that's the point. why spend money watching a movie somewhere else, when i could do the same at home, and atleast get the chance for a good experience, which would mean atleast it could be worth spending the money to watch it.

paying for something subpar is nigh indecipherable from burning money, if you ask me.

The build up is slow but not bad, the 1 and a half fight is epic, the ending is a bit dumb imo.

And I disliked how they make it look like godzilla is the good guy, almost a superhero. wat? he was just fighting for territory or to eat the other 2 monsters, he destroys two cities in the process and he's labeled as a savior... that really ticked me off

In the original movies godzilla is the hero though.

Just give it to me straight.

In your opinion, is it worth the money for the movie tickets? At first I was pretty psyched, but hearing from a lot of people I'm not so sure now.

I learned never to trust other people when it comes to many things, especially movies.

All I can say is to see it for yourself.

Godzilla?

Stay at home. I've seen it and I wish I could erase it from my brain. Sigh.

What offended me the most is the level of stupidity from the military: we've eating- radiations monsters, high as a skyscraper, apparently with bulletproff skin...

So we fight them with nukes! And rifles of little caliber...

Yeah...

Son, have you ever heard about the wonferful world of incendiary carpetbombing? Napalm, thermite, white phosphorus? No?

HOW THE HECK DID YOU BECOME A GENERAL? Military= idiots, It's becoming a really stale cliché.

For once, couldn't we have some soldier up to his/her training?

Also, moving a nuke by train with a pregnant monster around with cravings is apparently a bad idea... who could have guessed? You know, because it's a fraking bait!

As USA army doesn't have a plane capable of moving nukes around the world, 30'000 feet from the ground.... 

Also, children. Children everywhere, in need to be protected, saved, and sacrificed for. Wonderful message, but it grows stupid when not even one of them is eaten by the monster....

More idiocy is diplayed by the rest of the characters, but I'll stop here, because it's a pointless exercise.

In short? Watch some other movie.

Edited by Zuijin

I don't intend to see it. 

Going to the movies while I'm at uni is a waste of money, since I pay more than double what I would if I was at home.

Besides, as a New Zealander, I am obligated to hold the belief that any movie not made by or specifically endorsed by Peter Jackson is terrible.

Though that won't stop me from paying nothing to watch it in 6 months time.

Edited by Sixty5

and that's the point. why spend money watching a movie somewhere else, when i could do the same at home, and atleast get the chance for a good experience, which would mean atleast it could be worth spending the money to watch it.

paying for something subpar is nigh indecipherable from burning money, if you ask me.

You spend money so you don't have to wait for a DVD/BD release. The theaters around here do offer a good experience, just not an amazing experience.

Edited by SquirmyBurrito

I'm probably what you call an "ironic Godzilla enthusiast." I like deconstructing the tropes and find Godzilla movies really enjoyable when I make an effort to remain aware that I'm watching a picture story.

Your enjoyment of this movie will depend almost entirely on what you know to expect going in.

I really liked it. My roommate's girlfriend wouldn't stop making comments the whole time, which I knew to expect. That kind of stuff isn't going to ruin a Godzilla movie for me.

The depictions of military being inept/ineffectual were toned down about as much as they possibly could, which I appreciated. The same was true for the "nuclear horrors" It wouldn't be a Godzilla movie without that stuff, so they left it in. They relegated it to only the most necessary plot points, and I'm glad for that.

I felt the same way about the "death and sacrifice of loved ones and innocents" thing. Yeah, it's there, but only as much as absolutely necessary to remain faithful to the formula of a Kaiju movie.

I saw a few clever nods to the audience, mostly in the score and visual effects. I think most fans of the Godzilla IP would really like it. For my first 3D movie experience, I'd give it a solid 8.

Guh Muhvie.

edit: she knows.

Edited by notlamprey

If your a fan of Godzilla and watched all the movies or at least the original its the Godzilla Movie you've been waiting for.

I also feel like a majority of people who said that this movie was a disappointment must have not seen a Godzilla movie before or they're comparing this to the 98 abomination(which for a monster flick its okay, but as a Godzilla film its nothing like Godzilla)

Edited by ToastedFrenchToast

If your a fan of Godzilla and watched all the movies or at least the original its the Godzilla Movie you've been waiting for.

I think that's the summation I can personally make about this flick. 

Saw it, enjoyed the hell out of it. Sure the protagonist's story was a bit...unnecessary, but my GOD are the monster scenes and the build-up for the monster scenes epic. 

Wife saw it, she didn't think it was up to snuff.

All in all, i'd give it a 7/10. Worth the money if only to FEEL the low rumbling bass shake the theatre, if you're into that sort of thing.

So for Starters we have:

"The film was too slow" - The opening consists of *@##$es dying from nuclear reactors gone bad, families torn apart and a giant @(*()$ creature erupting from an egg that plans to doom us all by spawning radioactive @(*()$ goliaths like itself.

The Main:

"anyways, just remember, like all big movies, the entire movie is about particle effects and blah blah. 

so don't go watching a movie expecting good writing. because... lol." - The irony in this is enough to make your brain cramp like a dying spider.

And Dessert:

"I also feel like a majority of people who said that this movie was a disappointment must have not seen a Godzilla movie before or they're comparing this to the 98 abomination(which for a monster flick its okay, but as a Godzilla film its nothing like Godzilla)" - Holy S#&$, I think I found Jesus. He isn't black with a beard and a crown of thorns but he'll do, Lord, he'll do.

Just give it to me straight.

No. Just wait until it comes out on DVD, or torrent it from thepiratebay.se. I was psyched too. Sadly disappointed. The little fight scenes that they did have were amazing, but not for 15 dollars. 

That keeps up to the originals pretty good. Gozilla is actually  the protector of Earth in the classics. Hes the one who fends off all those aliens after all!