Enemies Of The Tenno: Corpus Submission Winner And Interview

DE_Adam

A dear friend of mine told me about a game that was in closed beta about space ninjas. At first I thought that sounded silly the way he sold it, but urged me to make an account to see if I might get a beta key. Alas I did not get key so I waited for the open beta release, and in the mean time browsed the designs of the then 8 warframes to see who will I pick. In general I love robots, cyborgs, mechas, and I misunderstood that the Tenno were these live biomechanical beings instead of suits. Looks are very important to me, and the sheer uniqueness of the aesthetics drew me in, I have never seen any sci fi world that looked like the Warframe world before. Particularly Frost. So at first the looks of the characters drew me to begin the game.

However before open beta I thought the game was some sort of MMO where the player would have to choose one Tenno and stick with him the entire game, while clearing a storyline. So I was prepared to stay with Frost, alas when the open beta came I was confused at the start with the three beginner frames and realized there was a crafting system and that the Warframes were actual suits we hand to make to wear and not characters to pick. While it kind of put me off at first, you know breaking the fantasy of these cool robot-like beings, the 3rd-person over the shoulder parkouring gunfight kept me with the game with my soul mission being to obtain my Frost frame (to my dismay the biggest bullet sponge Lech Krill kept him from me).  The more I played the more I was enthralled with the fun of it. I then brought in my dear friend Anatolius with me to Warframe and we have been playing non-stop ever since.

I actually think your first idea, about the Warframes being biomechanics machines was right, its just that you pilot them remotely. That explains why you can switch from one frame to another. It explains the gender differences, and body size/composition differences, among other things.

I actually think your first idea, about the Warframes being biomechanics machines was right, its just that you pilot them remotely. That explains why you can switch from one frame to another. It explains the gender differences, and body size/composition differences, among other things.

In Video Games we must be able to make the distinction between intended lore and game-play mechanics. While I personally continue to imagine my Frost for example to be a bio mechanical being its because I am in love with the Warframe itself and not the idea of a humanoid Tenno inside it, the fact that each Warframe as they are now have different genders and body types is just the element of the game. DE has not yet made versions of both genders of the frames nor implemented cosmetic differences to body types to highten the immersion that we are playing a single Tenno. Something like a game play detail like that does not influence the intended story or world that DE is building.

So for example if we players kill the same boss over and over for farming purposes, it is a game-play mechanic for our player needs. But that doesn't mean that that boss makes clones of himself to throw off hoards of Tenno that kill him every day in the search of materials, that's not the intended story mechanic. Its a game option.

Besides remotely controlling the Tenno make them sound more like robots and really impersonal, I wouldn't like it if that were true.

I do agree that Riot MOA looks more Orokin-like rather then Corpus.

What? No. If anything, the Riot MOA looks more in line with the Grineer aesthetic. Since when were the Orokin all Metal Gear/Junji Okubo-esque?

I actually don't have much of a problem with the Riot MOA's appearance. It's good to stick to a general look between every faction, but the Corpus - especially since it's a society driven by pure capitalism - seem the most likely to adapt to new tactics and enemies when it comes to military hardware. If it works and it works well, chances are it'll sell by the dozen on the Corpus market. And by then, who cares if it looks like it was made from Lego blocks?

Awfuly close to the BUL Loader from Borderlands.  So much for that "Warframe strives to be visually distinct from other games" motto.

I can assure you as the artist of this design and piece, that it looks nothing like the BUL Loader from Borderlands. I haven't ever played Borderlands to have seen the concept. Please refrain from making false accusations.

I can assure you as the artist of this design and piece, that it looks nothing like the BUL Loader from Borderlands. I haven't ever played Borderlands to have seen the concept. Please refrain from making false accusations.

I'm not questioning your design choice.  I'm questioning DE's judgement in selecting it.  In my opinion, it does not fit the Warframe theme.

I'm not questioning your design choice.  I'm questioning DE's judgement in selecting it.  In my opinion, it does not fit the Warframe theme.

The Design Council voted for it, not DE. Your community chose this design.

The Design Council voted for it, not DE. Your community chose this design.

Fair point, I stand corrected.

Although, DE did pick the candidates.  So in a way they did select it.

Edited by vergol

im sorry but what the F*** is this? It sticks out like a nun in a singles bar. If I had known that DC would eventually ACTUALLY HAVE INFLUENCE over content, I would've put my money down, based on things like this. Cause, this looks completely out of touch, brash and unconventional for the corpus.

This looks more like 1980s-1990s era mecha anime art than anything I've seen in the moa arsenal. And this also looks like something a bureaucrat with a run-away US style budget came up with during a fever dream....and that does not fit the tempo of the corpus as I know it.

Also kind of does remind me of the BUL loader. That and the bottom half of an Armored Core mech.

It looks like a mech. The lines and style of moas are more refined and resemble a knowledge of biometrics, rather than machine. This looks more like a Grineer attempt at reverse engineering a MOA than anything.

Ah, whatever.

Edited by DirkDeadeye

Im still kinda fuming over this. I'm not mad at the artist but..Seriously people.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Jackal

I know obtaining Rhino was a long time ago for founding and closed beta players, but this unit intransigently exists in the universe today.

And again, look at the lines, they resemble a discipline and knowledge of biometrics, of how one would make an synthetic version of a semi sentient  organic life form. Jackal is essentially this mob in question, scaled down, and modeled the 1980s.

I think voting for this was a disservice to the archetypes for the corpus units, since there are plenty enough flavors of moas that are completely un-incidental, and quite frankly overlooked being mechanical units. I mean, god damnit, Jackal and Hyena exist already.

Could we have voted for a humanoid uinit that broke somewhat away from the bucket headed proletariat fodder we encounter on a daily basis?

Are we that wooed over spectacle and large units with missiles and guns, and shields like a bulldozer..

Also, not a single female corpus unit. We're going to debate making this particular unit fit in the theme of the italian style supercar lines of Corpus moas..but we disregard DE's ability to take artistic privileges when it comes to the female figure. Give me a break.

Again, whatever, what's done is done. I didn't participate because quite frankly I have no say, cause I didn't shovel over 150 dollars into a founder program that at the time was choose A-C. But in reality we're done with the concept..so stay quiet.

DE: Your art direction with the enemy design and themes are incredible. Grineer totally machinist steampunkesque (to put in terms people can understand) sort of oil leaking over-engineered technology. Still clinging on bullets and armor. But in a future tense kind of Cameron, alien, blade runner themed kind of way. Incredible. I sometimes stop and bleed out admiring your art.

Same goes with Corpus. Clean, sanitary, sort of JJ Abrams, Star Trek, Logans run..kind of idealistic future tech (Again, to make everyone else understand) utopian esque but with a twist of extreme capitalistic, greed fueling their research and perfection of artificial life and robotics. The set pieces are breathtaking. They truely are. When I first stepped foot in a Dark Sector on Saturn after a hiatus of Warframe, I was in awe. I scrambled around the star chart just to take in the magesty of what your art team has come up with.

And that's why I'm upset. This doesn't fit guys. I think you know it, but it's a community event. So, that's that. But I wanted you to know how I truly felt. Even if my obscure mainstream references offended you, they were purely set so most people can grasp what I mean. Cause my heart and mind can't type fast enough to describe how the art in this game really makes me feel.

Edited by DirkDeadeye

*Snip*

The artistic design of the unit will likely not be included; during the contest they referred to the attached images as 'Art References', which just means to help better visualize the concept they attached a drawing.

But even then I don't like the concept. We have too many variations of Moas already, and last I checked the project was to increase enemy diversity.

I have an argument with your argument for more humanoid corpus units: The problem with that are the Corpus are reliant on their proxies, which DE really needs to show more in-game. I wouldn't have minded a new human corpus unit, but I would've preffered to see a new kind of robot.

A lot of people seem to misunderstand that these pictures are almost purely concepts. The final product in game might not look EXACTLY like the one our fantastic artist Volkovyi drew for them but will definitely have some clear characteristics of this concept. DE will probably alter the look of this MOA to fit with the other MOAs already in game. Personally I adore this concept and like many people have already said it does look really Metal Gearesque, which some of the MOAs already resembled in my opinion. I haven't seen the other concepts but I have to say that Corpus really needed bulldozer like this one.

Edited by Syyslehti

A lot of people seem to misunderstand that these pictures are almost purely concepts. The final product in game might not look EXACTLY like the one our fantastic artist Volkovyi drew for them but will definitely have some clear characteristics of this concept. DE will probably alter the look of this MOA to fit with the other MOAs already in game. Personally I adore this concept and like many people have already said it does look really Metal Gearesque, which some of the MOAs already resembled in my opinion. I haven't seen the other concepts but I have to say that Corpus really needed bulldozer like this one.

There is enough diversity in MOA's. A four legged scaled down Hyena/Jackal could easily have taken this concepts place. In fact, WHY would the Corpus regime just SCRAP the Hyena Project. And move on with this monstrosity. Have we forgotten about the Hyena? You can argue Hyena is still in the game, but it's the first Corpus boss you encounter, it has very similar mechanics to the concept shown above in fact it is a proxy in my opinion, it's also a callback to Dark Sector. As well as a callback to eariler player experiences. Many times over you face early bosses in the midspan of a games progression.

I mean when you're going to introduce a new heavy unit, if it's going to be mechanized, it should be four legged. There are currently no four legged robotic units in their arsenal outside of the two bosses and zanuka. But they aren't in the games rotation.

My argument about aesthetics and concepts is based on the fact that the female form in the humanoid examples were disregarded on the surface due to their sex appeal. Yet given this example, people invoke artistic privileges because it jumps the shark just as much as the super sexy corpus female units.. It doesn't make any sense.

"The artistic design of the unit will likely not be included; during the contest they referred to the attached images as 'Art References', which just means to help better visualize the concept they attached a drawing.

But even then I don't like the concept. We have too many variations of Moas already, and last I checked the project was to increase enemy diversity.

I have an argument with your argument for more humanoid corpus units: The problem with that are the Corpus are reliant on their proxies, which DE really needs to show more in-game. I wouldn't have minded a new human corpus unit, but I would've preffered to see a new kind of robot."

Again as I've stated before in my OP, second post, and reply contained within, my argument of concepts and aesthetics are purely based on how we can look at this and deem it acceptable, but look the other way on the humanoid entries, without keeping those artistic liberties in mind. And again, Hyena exists. They share similar mechanics.

I'd rather see a four legged heavy unit, than another two legged thing, especially if it's supposed to be more of a siege unit. Why would you design something intended for heavy incursions with two legs? Doesn't make any sense. Doesn't fit Corpuses design philosophies, and is rather wasteful given there are three prototype units designed for this exact intent in the universe now, that are very effective.

Edited by DirkDeadeye