Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

P S A: On The Dex Prefix

Seele

This is a bit late, I know, but given that my computer is in no state to actually play Warframe I've finally found myself with the time to write this.

When Dex Furis was released on Warframe's first birthday it was an intriguing premise for most players. It was a whole new weapon "quality" to complement the existing Prime, Wraith, Vandal, Ak/Twin/Dual, and the more recently added Dragon. A whole new realm of possibilities? Hard to say for sure.

I'm here to quell what fires regarding the Dex prefix have been stoked, and to hopefully offer some clarity on the future of "Dex" weapons.

Let's begin by looking at the only current manifestation of a Dex weapon, the Dex Furis.

Dex. Furis. What's strange about that?

This is Furis.

500px-Furis.png

This is Afuris.

20130426075508!Afuris.png

And this is Dex Furis.

NYVFpRW.png

I'm no rocket surgeon but it would seem, given that the weapon is not called "Dex Afuris", that the Dex prefix implies a dual wield trait, much like the existing "Ak/A", "Twin", and "Dual".

Is this conjecture? To an extent. But let's also look at the terminology used here.

The term "Dex" was immediately either taken at face value, or assumed by many players to derive from Digital EXtremes, which is probably true and I'm not ruling out, but here in the English language we have puns and double entendres. We also find "dex" in the word "ambidextrous", meaning "able to use both hands equally well", which draws a link between it and dual wielding. "Dex" has also, since D&D, been used as an abbreviation for Dexterity, which is basically the skill which reflects your character's handiwork. It would take a good amount of Dexterity to accurately and adequately wield two pistols simultaneously.

So what does this mean for the future? Who knows? It's relatively safe to assume the prefix will be limited to Tenno weapons, and also that future Dex weapons will only be released on concurrent anniversaries. Perhaps next year we'll see Dex Vasto or Dex Bronco, and the year after, Dex Magnus or maybe even Dex Skana.

I do not assert this information in order to belittle or offend anyone, but rather to inform. I have seen suggestions for things such as "Dex Nova" and "Dex Soma" and sought to publicize my apparently esoteric knowledge of the subject and help all Tenno make more informed discussion in future threads. I acknowledge the fact that all of this could be completely wrong and someone just forgot to hit the A key one morning. However I believe I have provided compelling enough evidence for the cause, and welcome well-founded corrections, additions, and evidence to the contrary as well.

Thank you for reading!

Edited by Seele

I feel like this is more an observation than a P.S.A. as you are (no offense) not exactly doing anyone a service but rather sharing an observation. Still nifty though. 

It's really hard for me to word this without sounding like an arrogant expletive, but you're implying that knowledge is not a service. While, in reference to the game content alone, it is merely observation, that is not without merit, and I have provided objective facts to support it.

That said I guess it is nifty, thanks for that.

The Dex is probably short for Digital EXtremes, the developer of the game. The first comment said it perfectly, I think you're just putting way too much stock into the name. It's probably just an anniversary theme. 

Though just a thought, it can open a lot of new avenues like "Dex-ing" a warframe that wouldn't fit being "Primed" lore-wise. 

P.S. How is this really a PSA (public service announcement)? This just seems like an assumption/opinion driven discussion. AKA any other thread. The title is a little misleading for the people that seek out PSA's so as to not miss out on things. 

Edited by JudgeDeaths

The Dex is probably short for Digital EXtremes, the developer of the game. The first comment said it perfectly, I think you're just putting way too much stock into the name. It's probably just an anniversary theme. 

Though just a thought, it can open a lot of new avenues like "Dex-ing" a warframe that wouldn't fit being "Primed" lore-wise. 

If you read the post I mention the Digital Extremes bit...

And no the idea is that is not likely to be possible. I will eat my own tongue if they release a Dex Nova.

If you read the post I mention the Digital Extremes bit...

And no the idea is that is not likely to be possible. I will eat my own tongue if they release a Dex Nova.

Don't worry, I read the post. Only reaffirming the opinion that it's probably just a nod towards the company's name. 

Digital EXtremes...

Dex......

Digital EXtreams

You know... I never would have figured it out unless someone pointed it out.

But this seems like the most plausible reason for the prefix, in my opinion. It's too much of a fit to be a coincidence.