The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Opinions On The Despair?

eladv

Question

Stalker just dropped this weapon for me, however I couldn't figure out according to its stats if its worth keeping and using forma on. If it is good, sharing your builds would be nice. 

Thanks. 

Edited by mixTyZ

24 answers to this question

I liked it. Its very good for stealth, and its worth keeping. You'll have to arc long shots, but that only makes them more rewarding. Very good for dispatching multiple enemies before they can alert others whilst stealthing.

Yes very lucky indeed. I would put hornet strike duh, then seeker barrel diffusion, lethal torrent, gunslinger, and 3 elementals of your choice.

This, I use 4 elements instead of seeker though (but I always use punch through on my primary).

My most used weapon according to my profile :)

Personally, I'd forma it Three times, and run with This build
http://warframe-builder.com/Secondary_Weapons/Builder/Despair/t_30_22230000_193-0-5-195-5-5-204-1-10-205-6-3-206-2-5-208-7-5-209-3-5-263-4-3_193-6-204-7-206-6-209-6-263-7-195-11-205-9-208-7/en/3-0-34

Thats what i do, and its pretty effective up to levels 130-140 or so. Its definitely a good weapon, has been my most used secondary for a very long time...since i got it actually. And that was right before U9 i believe.

http://warframe-builder.com/Secondary_Weapons/Builder/Despair/t_30_22230000_193-0-5-195-5-5-204-1-10-205-6-3-206-2-5-208-7-5-209-3-5-263-4-3_193-6-204-7-206-6-209-6-263-7-195-11-205-9-208-7/en/3-0-34

Thats what i do, and its pretty effective up to levels 130-140 or so. Its definitely a good weapon, has been my most used secondary for a very long time...since i got it actually. And that was right before U9 i believe.

Why you use No return. It's better to replace it is with Pistol pestilence. Gives same amount of damage and status chance is nice bonus. Edited by Grayscale_Lord

Why you use No return. It's better to replace it is with Pistol pestilence. Gives same amount of damage and status chance is nice bonus.

No Return adds 90% of the 80% base Puncture, which is +72% damage. Puncture has +50% to Ferrite, so +108% dmg.

An event mod adds only +60% damage. But Corrosive has +75% to Ferrite, so +105% dmg.

In which case the event mod is slightly superior due to the status chance. However, its barely better as most of those procs will not be corrosive and thus not that useful.

Now, if we look at damage to anything other than Ferrite or Fossilized (gunners and ancients) than No Return is clearly superior. For example, against a lancer, NR adds 83% dmg while PP adds only 60%.

The build Aigloblam linked is exactly what I use for Void, except I have an extra forma in order to fit Rad/Viral/Bane against Grineer.

Edited by Darzk

No Return adds 90% of the 80% base Puncture, which is +72% damage. Puncture has +50% to Ferrite, so +108% dmg.

An event mod adds only +60% damage. But Corrosive has +75% to Ferrite, so +105% dmg.

In which case the event mod is slightly superior due to the status chance. However, its barely better as most of those procs will not be corrosive and thus not that useful.

Now, if we look at damage to anything other than Ferrite or Fossilized (gunners and ancients) than No Return is clearly superior. For example, against a lancer, NR adds 83% dmg while PP adds only 60%.

The build Aigloblam linked is exactly what I use for Void, except I have an extra forma in order to fit Rad/Viral/Bane against Grineer.

Look closer. No return only gives 60% not 90%

Yes very lucky indeed. I would put hornet strike duh, then seeker barrel diffusion, lethal torrent, gunslinger, and 3 elementals of your choice.

I don't think Seeker is necessary. The Despair already seem to have a kind of pseudo punch-through on killed bodies, though that might also be the effects of seeing a followup knife hit the enemy behind your initial target.

In any case, it's nice to have for mowing down crowds, but I eventually put one of my elements in the - slot that I gave the Despair instead and used the empty slot for a Bane mod.

Edited by Noble_Cactus

Look closer. No return only gives 60% not 90%

Grr. I was thinking of the melee mods then :S. So yeah, adding another event mod is generally better, but not everyone has them.

I prefer to build for more damage per hit than DPS, hence I leave out Gunslinger. But GS/Quickdraw are good alternatives to building more damage/shot as well.

Well, Despair, Brakk and Marelok are best secondaries in entire game, and he asked to keep it or not.

GS/Quickdraw build works with 2 forma, while damage build will want 3. I prefer speedy Despair myself - it essentially becomes a continuous fire weapon.

I also never thought Seeker was necessary, even though I always use it on Brakk for example.

Also, despair has no punchthrough, but it has ragdoll on kill just like paris/paris prime, so it will just carry the corpse all the way to the nearest wall and corpses blocking shots are not an issue. And since it's a precise weapon it won't be killing 7 enemies in one shot with punchthrough like Brakk, might as well save a slot.

What makes despair so good that it is still effective at that high level play?

What makes despair so good that it is still effective at that high level play?

The fact that its silent, can hit from any range once you get used to using them, the fire speed is out of this world, Pistol ammo drops are so common that you dont have to worry about ammo usually, and since they do so much damage per projectile, Multishot is orders of magnitude more effective on them.

Also its easier to get this up to stupid high numbers, since it comes with two V polarities from the start. Also if you get them, it doesnt matter what mastery rank you are, they aren't mastery locked. Granted that doesnt mean anything for really high level play...but i felt like saying it anyway.

Most of that is either irrelevant in Lv50+ since those are all in endless missions where stealth isn't required, or can be applied to better weapons (multishot, for example).

Don't get me wrong. Despair are my favorite secondary. But they do start falling off noticeably when other weapons will pull ahead after a certain point (around lv60 or so). I wish they could be carried higher but the removal of armor ignore kinda hurt thme in that department.

And right, I forgot the Despair can carry bodies for physics impact. Usually I just see enemies fall over from my perspective.

Edited by Noble_Cactus

Stalker just dropped this weapon for me, however I couldn't figure out according to its stats if its worth keeping and using forma on. If it is good, sharing your builds would be nice. 

Thanks. 

despair is ok , but there are much better weapons, with better dmg/proc chance against grineer

Most of that is either irrelevant in Lv50+ since those are all in endless missions where stealth isn't required, or can be applied to better weapons (multishot, for example).

Don't get me wrong. Despair are my favorite secondary. But they do start falling off noticeably when other weapons will pull ahead after a certain point (around lv60 or so). I wish they could be carried higher but the removal of armor ignore kinda hurt thme in that department.

And right, I forgot the Despair can carry bodies for physics impact. Usually I just see enemies fall over from my perspective.

I carry mine everywhere, and i don't feel the slightest bit of hesitation to rely on them when levels break 100. I thought really hard about it..and for the life of me i cant explain why. Its the same with the Zorens...Even before Damage2.0 and Melee2.0, They were my #1 weapon...No matter how high the levels went, they never felt like they werent totally viable. I wish i could find the right words to explain.