The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(Dragon)Nikana Request

_Absolom_

I know that in feudal Japan, one of the most common styles of wielding a katana was Iaijutsu, however, I think it's a bit...impractical in-game.

(For beginners, here's a short explanation of what you see in-game: Iaijutsu/Iaido is associated with the smooth, controlled movement of drawing the sword from its sheath, striking or cutting the opponent, removing the blood from the blade and replacing the sword in the sheath.)

These movements are as swift as they should be in the game, and whilst they were used by samurai instead of ninja, it's still fitting to have such motion in the game.

However, some of us might prefer to see the blade all the time and have it drawn, ready to strike.

I'd hereby like to request an option(might it be a stance mod or a simple option on the modding screen)to wield my Nikana with two hands or even one hand, out of its sheath.

This would also be nice because we could actually see the sword while we're coloring it in the appearance menu in the arsenal.

Does the community approve?

Edited by Soulswipe

In-depth viewing while coloring, +1. 

My suggestion:

Rename Decisive Judgment to Tranquil Cleave.

Modify Tranquil Cleave (now Decisive Judgment) into an Iai-inspired stance. Kenjutsu. Iaijutsu. Two awesome styles across two separate stances. Tranquil Cleave will actually feel more calm, collected, and... cleave-y. Decisive Judgment sounds sharp and abrupt, like basic Iai strikes.  

Might want to see what you can do about that text color, though. 

My suggestion:

Modify Tranquil Cleave (now Decisive Judgment) into an Iai-inspired stance. Kenjutsu. Iaijutsu. Two awesome styles across two separate stances. Tranquil Cleave will actually feel more calm, collected, and... cleave-y. Decisive Judgment sounds sharp and abrupt, like basic Iai strikes.  

Thanks for the feedback, great idea indeed!

-tried to fix the coloring, did it work?

It actually would be really cool if stances have specific... well... stances. As suggested by the first two posts, I think it could be done somehow.

A simple sword-drawn katana position for the two-handed stance would really look cool and show a lot of composure if done right.

7pq7fGyl.jpg

Edited by Casardis

-cleaned up a bit-

i was under the impression that "style to draw sword quickly if something unsual happens" is not really used inwarfare and if you are headed already into battle (say to slay shipfull of grineer) is not really usefull to have since normal people usually draw weapon anyhow before they start figthing with them.... but if that is not the case then i want my fast draw mitersawbladeninjalauncher moves also into the game..

Edited by Yaer
erased the potentially personal pique part.

I'd hereby like to request an option(might it be a stance mod or a simple option on the modding screen)to wield my Nikana with two hands or even one hand, out of its sheath.

I would definitely support two additional nikana stances, one for two handed perma-drawn use, and another for one handed perma-drawn use.

I query the solid black and white differentiation people draw between samurai and ninja, though. Real life usually has a few greys to muddy things up.

Edited by Novocrane

I hear the pistol wielding style where you unholster the pistol, take one quick pot shot, clear the chamber and reholster the pistol is one of the most common styles with the modern police and militaries.

Honestly, what an earth would be the point of fiddling around with your weapon and try to put it back in the sheathe in the middle of a life and death situation.

Iaido style is in the game purely because it looks cool. I do agree that it would be nice to have a stance where you actually wield the sword.

what?

Are you suggesting that I am Soulswipe?

OP edited the message to fix some of the factual errors pointed out -cleared by modo-. Though I would still like to know who is going to sheathe their sword in the middle of a battle. Also, does the style of trying to quickly incapacitate your opponent in one surprise strike or reacting to a surprise attack really count as "wielding"?

Edited by Yaer

-cleaned up a bit by modo-

There's so many edits because I was correcting my typos and since I'm using my phone, I end up maki.g more than what I began with.

Edited by Yaer
Removed unnecessary parts.

OP edited the message to fix some of the factual errors pointed out -cleared by modo-. Though I would still like to know who is going to sheathe their sword in the middle of a battle. Also, does the style of trying to quickly incapacitate your opponent in one surprise strike or reacting to a surprise attack really count as "wielding"?

I for one think it can be considered wielding, but do note that as far as I know, this technique was rarely used in all-out combat on battlefields, rather in surprise ambushes or one-on-one fights.

I am not sure on this and don't have the time to reaearch it right now, but I'll do so tomorrow.

I for one think it can be considered wielding, but do note that as far as I know, this technique was rarely used in all-out combat on battlefields, rather in surprise ambushes or one-on-one fights.

Among other things, it's also used as counter attack/self defense. Some of those moves are shown here in demonstration.

In that sense, speaking realistically, iaido/iaijutsu doesn't seem to be a style where it involves multi-hit/all out combat (since samurai duels and battles were often decided by who strikes first/the fastest anyway). That's why in fiction, you have a variety of exaggerated styles inspired by iaido/iaijutsu. Vergil from Devil May Cry series comes to mind, but also Asbel from Tales of Graces.

This is why I think a "sheathed" style in Warframe can still be fitting, but also why I think the two-handed style could use a different idle just to show a different vibe and composure.

On that, I'll be going.

7QUyqu5.gif

Edited by Casardis

Among other things, it's also used as counter attack/self defense. Some of those moves are shown here in demonstration.

In that sense, speaking realistically, iaido/iaijutsu doesn't seem to be a style where it involves multi-hit/all out combat (since samurai duels and battles were often decided by who strikes first/the fastest anyway). That's why in fiction, you have a variety of exaggerated styles inspired by iaido/iaijutsu. Vergil from Devil May Cry series comes to mind, but also Asbel from Tales of Graces.

This is why I think a "sheathed" style in Warframe can still be fitting, but also why I think the two-handed style could use a different idle just to show a different vibe and composure.

On that, I'll be going.

7QUyqu5.gif

Thanks for the constructive post.

And that gif just made my day.

I am not sure on this and don't have the time to reaearch it right now, but I'll do so tomorrow.

Used in ambushes and one-on-one as a way to start the fight. If you didn't incapacitate your opponent with it, then you would switch to an actual stance and not concerne yourself with the unseathing techniques anymore. More of an opening move than a stance. For ingame mechanics, it should still be perfect for the 'quick melee'.

On that, I'll be going.

7QUyqu5.gif

if it is considered "legit" stance and wielding a sword, not just self defence or duel move (since dueling is by definition one-on-one battle and you dont need to worry ton of guys around you)

then why should it be unique ? where i my whip dueling stance.. or say musket, lanka stance.. seems as legit.. if you engage in battle that requires only 1 incapacitating hit against 1 enemy then i can took my sweet as movie time to do whatever afterwards dont i ?

sadly warframe is not game about gentleman duels 1 on 1.. its about taking a mass of enemies with max 4 combatants in one side and 60 in the another side so why on earth would you do all this cinematic nonsense inbetween hits ?? seems bit waste of time and good movement when there is only say 56 more enemies to kill. Besides Iaido is more like selfdefence style in society where quite many guys used to run around with swords so... say regular good old barfigth migth just escalate into someone swinging sword so you migth want to know thing or two about fast draw TECHNIQUES but something being technique is still long ways away from being considered wielding by any extent of imagination... you understand that _stance_ means the "base" where you throw your attacks forth dont you ?? a stance where you dont wield the sword at all is not stance.. its called not wielding the sword.

if your "stance" enables you to make 1 thrust and then you have to seath our sword.. and there is only limited number of what kinda thrust it can be when you regard that you start from seathed sword, not one being "free" on your hands -> there is only limited area on the sword itself that it can reasonably be used if you still want to live after the encounter

Edited by Weke

Cleared up the thread a little bit.

Stop the off-topic war, guys.

Focus on the main topic and be kind to each other, everywhere, always.

PM me if i made a mistake by hiding some posts -editing some of them.

*will keep monitoring the thread*

Have a good discussion!

Other than that, i want another change for Nikanas. Possibility to switch sheath between Nikana and Dragon Nikana in accessory menu (if you have both swords crafted or purchased).

Turning the saya / sheath into an attachment would be a good move, imho.

This was how they historically fought too.  A samurai did practice cutting and striking while drawing from the sheath but unlike most games and other forms of media depicted today, they never did silly things like attack,sheath,attackattack,sheath attack.  That's just wasteful and stupid.  A samurai practiced striking on the draw but then kept their sword drawn through the rest of the fight.  Sheathing the sword over and over is just slow, silly, wasteful, and stupid.

This was how they historically fought too.  A samurai did practice cutting and striking while drawing from the sheath but unlike most games and other forms of media depicted today, they never did silly things like attack,sheath,attackattack,sheath attack.  That's just wasteful and stupid.  A samurai practiced striking on the draw but then kept their sword drawn through the rest of the fight.  Sheathing the sword over and over is just slow, silly, wasteful, and stupid.

Also, it's cool. Thus the Rule of Cool aplies.

My suggestion:

Great post, Diabolus - I really enjoy reading what you have to say!

Also, it's cool. Thus the Rule of Cool aplies.

No it's not it's just silly and ridiculous.  It works if you cut down a bunch of guys and then they all fall down in a bloody mess right as you sheathe it, but I always facepalm when I see something like attack sheath attack sheath attack attack sheath sheath.  

Now what would REALLY be cool is a stance that lets you draw the sword and and dual wield with the sheath in the off hand, which is also a historic style used by the Samurai.