Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Remember When Fighting Bosses Was.. Challenging?

(PSN)i_illusion

If you want bosses to be hard again, stop bringing extremely powerful weapons to low level bosses. That way you can't say "This boss is so easy, cause I was able to one-shot it with my Dread. Hurr Durr".

That excuse isn't going to fly.

You shouldn't have to downgrade yourself to find a challenge. When you work hard getting all your awesome gear you should be able to use them. We are supposed to be getting hard content to pit our best gear against.

I remember fighting Vor for the first time. I had decided to play solo up to that point, and spent the majority of the fight low on health, running away, and hoping for enemies to spawn so I could loot ammo - enough to drop shields and do damage.

I remember when I used to see Toxic ancients and be like 'MOTHER OF *@$&^$&' before trying to run away, only to be dragged back. And do you remember when dead Toxic ancients were just as dangerous as the live ones? Oh god.....

I miss that feature, everytime i see a toxic corpse im like "oh shi- wait, they removed that."

I want it back >..>

Aside from certain bosses just not having good enough attacks or the ability to keep up with us, I think one of the bigger issues is mods and boss scaling.

An example would be how you can go into a lower leveled boss with max Serration, Multi-shot, and elemental mods and one-shot the boss due to the fact that you are using vastly over-leveled gear for their planet and they can't scale well enough to deal with it.

It also creates a whole bunch of balance issues when you remember that you have to scale for both the Vets and newbies.

And on my first point, I feel a fair amount of the bosses in-game just can't keep up or have attacks that can actually hit us without being huge AoE stuff. 

Two examples of this are Lech Kril and Lephantis's Grineer/Scythe body.

Lech Kril, aside from his Gorgon, stands little to no chance of actually hitting us with his hammer. He is slower than us in both attack and movement speed, and his swings are so largely telegraphed and slow that you can simply walk out of its range while continuing to fire at him. 

There is also the fact that in his "Fire mode" when he throws his hammer it'll just bounce randomly all around the map instead of areas around you, leaving him even more defenseless for a few seconds.

And poor Lephantis will rarely hit players with his scythe, especially in phase two of the fight.

Remember when they patched out Jackals insta-gib? Yea, me too /s

He was never really challenging, just a methodical bullet sponge while we had weak weapons and defenses; it also had an "Omae wo mo shindeiru" cluster bomb that usually destroyed groups without a moments notice. There was never any dynamic chase in which we had to actually track him as he did x and y while possibly threatening to blow up our ship with z. Imagine a Jackal that had multiple combat option branches to fighting Tenno? Knocking down a number of "Viscous Fieldron" which then changed the pace of battle and our following options? If we didn't stop him in time he could then ignite it and then kill us? Can you honestly say the jackal that you and I fought was challenging in light of a proposed fight that could threaten you with greater more exciting and challenging feats?

Most of us had ammo drum or magazine warp as well as an unranked ineffective elemental mod going into the fight. In addition to general inexperience, and because of the aforementioned states of unpreparedness they were the main sources of what fueled those moments where you may have struggled.

You grew exponentially stronger, you hunted down and forged some of the strongest weapons/mods in the game and you expect a basic 2nd world boss to have maintained some relevance? Did you really think near 330% additional base damage, not counting multi-shot, or extra additive elements was a good idea to bring to a 2nd world boss fight? Most of us at that time probably didn't even know modding and less so how to kill him outright.

We're given the option to nigh infinite power in the respects that we'd be wise enough to maintain the balance of when not to go Doomsday on our foes. We are given the absolute best means of playing the game (creative freedom of adjusting challenges to our needs or desires) yet it's being disregarded in favor of not respecting that as a gamer you actually create the challenges and the game is merely what you make of what it presents.

Right...! When "Bosses where harder"

Sure xD

sry but do you remember the old days when the gorgon dominated everything and then the acrid came out and that dominated everything

Ps. sry for music

4 beginners against Vay Hek. The guy regenerated his shield like crazy and the moment you stopped firing it recharged. Combined with having armor and you had 4 low rank players unsure what to do and hoping for more grunts to enter the arena in hope they drop ammo.

That is until 1 leaves in anger and a master 8 player joined who killed Hek in 20 seconds.

I had two experences that i will call my best boss experience of this game. 

Hyena pack Melee only before Melee 2.0: The requirements was to use only the Jat Kittag to fight them, it was hard as S#&$ and so enjoyable. 

Frame: Nova Weapon: Jat Kittag Sentinal: None

Phorid Boltor prime unranked, Prova Vanal unraked: Idc what any of you say, this boss fight was epic, i did nearly no damage, and in the end i just had to go in chopping with my Prova with the help of the PROD MEN on my side. ^_^

That excuse isn't going to fly.

You shouldn't have to downgrade yourself to find a challenge. When you work hard getting all your awesome gear you should be able to use them. We are supposed to be getting hard content to pit our best gear against.

"That's like saying vor should be as hard for you now with your Boltor Prime, Braak and Dragon Nikana  to when you were a new player with the MK1, Lato and Skana."

If you want bosses to be hard again, stop bringing extremely powerful weapons to low level bosses. That way you can't say "This boss is so easy, cause I was able to one-shot it with my Dread. Hurr Durr".

or maybe bosses could scale based on the gear you bring into the mission, or they could scale based on the # of times that you've defeated them [ala breeding grounds]

or maybe bosses could scale based on the gear you bring into the mission, or they could scale based on the # of times that you've defeated them [ala breeding grounds]

That would actually be great, except there isn't only one player. You would be playing with other player who have better or worse gear than you.

They should just make new bosses that are harder, not old bosses scale. After level 20ish, regular Grineer troops are replaced with elite variants. And don't think you can try and take on, say, Raptor or Lephantis using noobie gear. The early bosses were hard because our gear might as well have been a bb gun(MK-1 Braton) and foam sword (Skana) at that point. And they tried scaling with Captain Vor when he was updated, it didn't make him harder so much as it made him an annoyingly powerful bullet sponge.

Difficulty does not come from bigger numbers, it should come from testing players' ability to adapt, observe, and utilize the skills they (should) have learned over the hours of play they have. I remember my first five hours of the game, it was terrible. I had no idea what I was doing, took me 10 hours to figure out how to wall run. It took me about nine runs against Kril before I figured out that you had to shoot his weak spot.

Also, a problem would emerge from from team play. Say I have a rank 1 friend that I want to play with. We go to Captain Vor, and now he can one-shot my friend but only scratch me. That is not fun for either of us, my friend is getting pounded to dust and I don't even have a challenge. I once brought a Rank 0 to Vay Hek for laughs, he was more or less a liability. That, of course, is good, Vay Hek is meant for veteran players, not noobies.

To me, a great boss fight was the first time I fought Lephantis, because of the sheer shock value of the second phase. I'll never get that feeling back again, because the first time is always the most memorable.

Hmm... If I recall the only difficult boss fight I had was with Raptor.

Back when I didn't have good mods, I (Also a few members of my squad) had ran out of ammo trying to kill it with it's overly inflated health pool combined with decent amount of armour.

So yeah... Trying to deal with Raptor with literally 0 ammo in Primary and Secondary (If I recall, I was using Paris and Dex Furis at the time) = bad time. Especially since melee is nigh impossible on him.

Was it fun? Not really no. It was artificial difficulty, in the sense that the boss itself wasn't too tough it was just a bullet sponge that managed to survive all of our bullets.

I also recall farming Vor for the Cronus BP (I didn't get it my first go... Took me a while to actually find it)

Soloing him wasn't too bad, but I was using level 30 equipment (Not modded too well at the time) and so would get crushed by the level 27+ Grineer he spawned during his invulnerability phases...

This just meant that I decided to just go Loki and invis my way to victory...